a suggestion to appease most...

darthstinji

Ok, so I know this is a big deal to a lot of people, and i wanted to put this out there.

since you (Bioware) are working on adding sgr's to makeb, and you have a large segment that wants them in game and a large segment that does not, why not add a toggle in the options menu that will allow players to turn them off or on? You could simply hide or disable the flirt option. For example, in a conversation where choice 2 would be flirt, if the toggle is engaged, that option never appears and the player only has 1 and 3 to choose from.

I think this would go a long way to making a large segment of the playerbase happy. Those who want sgr's can have them and those who do not can avoid it.

Now you will always have people, on both sides of the issue, that are gonna be upset with any choice you make as a developer. I would think you would want to appease the largest portion of the playerbase as possible, which I think this would do.

Please accept my apologies if this has been suggested before,

Thanks

Please accept my apologies if this has been suggested before,

Thanks

It has been suggested before.

The problem with your suggestion is that if that were to happen, all flirting in-game would have to be toggled on/off, otherwise it would be considered discriminatory. It would be like admitting that they consider SGRs wrong.

Which brings me to my next point: it's a choice. Much like killing an NPC in a conversation or allowing him to live. You get to make that choice. And I think our manhood can survive a few dialogue lines.

We can choose to ignore it and let other people flirt with those few NPCs on Makeb.

There's no need for toggling buttons. After all, it's their game and they get to decide what they add and how.

Edited by TheNahash

It has been suggested before.

The problem with your suggestion is that if that were to happen, all flirting in-game would have to be toggled on/off, otherwise it would be considered discriminatory. It would be like admitting that they consider SGRs wrong.

Which brings me to my next point: it's a choice. Much like killing an NPC in a conversation or allowing him to live. You get to make that choice. And I think our manhood can survive a few dialogue lines.

We can choose to ignore it and let other people flirt with those few NPCs on Makeb.

There's no need for toggling buttons. After all, it's their game and they get to decide what they add and how.

What? He's talking about allowing the player to decide to turn it on or off. Bioware wouldn't have to turn off all flirt options otherwise. Your "you will have all flirt options up make or female at all times or no one will" ultimatum approach is just absurd and unneeded. If HE or SHE decides to turn off those same sex flirt options ho would it affect YOUR game? You would have to turn them all off??? Where to you people come up with this tripe?

Edited by Hyfy

Talk of an SGRA toggle is considered discriminatory by BiOWare.

This. It's true Bioware have stated that any discussion of a switch or toggle is discriminatetory and will result in infractions if discussed so yeah OP best not to test the waters on this.

What? He's talking about allowing the player to decide to turn it on or off. Bioware wouldn't have to turn off all flirt options otherwise. Your "you will have all flirt options up make or female at all times or no one will" ultimatum approach is just absurd and unneeded. If HE or SHE decides to turn off those same sex flirt options ho would it affect YOUR game? You would have to turn them all off??? Where to you people come up with this tripe?

First of all, please watch your tone.

Second, I never talked about what I consider discriminatory and what I do not. So my "ultimatum" (lol) is not really an ultimatum but rather what Bioware's stance has indicated in the past (I don't remember such a toggle button in Dragon Age, for example)... Which makes sense considering they are not forcing us to choose that option in those few dialogues.

Lastly, my game will not be affected either way. Personally, I do not care about SGR but for a lot of people it's something they want and just like those people that want chat bubbles and chairs they can sit on, it's content that I will probably never use but I honestly cannot find a reason why it shouldn't be included just because I'm not "comfortable" with people sitting or chat bubbles filling up the fleet.

That said, let me answer your question with 2 questions: If HE or SHE decides to NOT click on those same sex flirt options how would it affect ANYONE's game?

Also, let's say I'm not comfortable with black NPCs. It's something that Bioware has decided to include in their game. Should Bioware also create a toggle on/off button so that I don't come across them?

Edited by TheNahash

This. It's true Bioware have stated that any discussion of a switch or toggle is discriminatetory and will result in infractions if discussed so yeah OP best not to test the waters on this.

I find it hard to believe that Bioware would be so narrow minded and absurd to have said that. If that is true and its discriminatory, then so is a player choosing not to flirt in the converstaion options. How is it discriminartory? That makes no sense at all. Please show me a link or if a dev could please explain or comment it would be appreciated.

Im not looking to start crap here. I really am not. As the forum is titled "suggestion box" im offering what I believe is a rational option to solve an issue that is going to cost this game subs and players regardless of which way they go (put it in or take it out). Im offering a solution that I feel will help keep as many players playing (which honestly is more important to the life and profitability of the game than a political statement)

But! If what you say is true, then fine, consider my suggestion withdrawn, cause we wouldnt want to improve the game or anything, Right?

Ho hum, another toggle suggestion. Here we go again with the logic as to why it's discriminatory.

A 4-way switch that had these options would be OK:

• both SGR and OGR on
  • SGR only on
  • OGR only on
  • both SGR and OGR off

As a poster so clearly explained above, having an SGR on/off toggle would not be OK, because it would suggest that there is something 'wrong' with SGRs (which, of course, there isn't)

A 4-way switch would treat all romances the same.

Is this so difficult to understand? :rolleyes:

But the idea of any switch or toggle is silly anyway, as far as I'm concerned, because the presence of SGRs has no impact on anyone who's not interested in them. Why do you even care if they're present for those of us who'd like to have them?

Ho hum, another toggle suggestion. Here we go again with the logic as to why it's discriminatory.

A 4-way switch that had these options would be OK:

• both SGR and OGR on
  • SGR only on
  • OGR only on
  • both SGR and OGR off

As a poster so clearly explained above, having an SGR on/off toggle would not be OK, because it would suggest that there is something 'wrong' with SGRs (which, of course, there isn't)

A 4-way switch would treat all romances the same.

Is this so difficult to understand? :rolleyes:

But the idea of any switch or toggle is silly anyway, as far as I'm concerned, because the presence of SGRs has no impact on anyone who's not interested in them. Why do you even care if they're present for those of us who'd like to have them?

Forgive me for not reading through hundreds of other posts. Im so sorry to have bothered you, if this was the 20th thread about this, you didnt have to respond. Just sayin.

And while the presence of a switch may be silly to you, there are many who would welcome it.

Forgive me for not reading through hundreds of other posts. Im so sorry to have bothered you, if this was the 20th thread about this, you didnt have to respond. Just sayin..
Yes, you're right. I apologize. My tone was uncalled-for. :o

And while the presence of a switch may be silly to you, there are many who would welcome it.
Well, the point isn't really that I think it's silly. It's that the presence of SGRs would have no impact on those who don't want them -- so why would they welcome a switch? Edited by markcymru

I find it hard to believe that Bioware would be so narrow minded and absurd to have said that. If that is true and its discriminatory, then so is a player choosing not to flirt in the converstaion options. How is it discriminartory? That makes no sense at all. Please show me a link or if a dev could please explain or comment it would be appreciated.

Im not looking to start crap here. I really am not. As the forum is titled "suggestion box" im offering what I believe is a rational option to solve an issue that is going to cost this game subs and players regardless of which way they go (put it in or take it out). Im offering a solution that I feel will help keep as many players playing (which honestly is more important to the life and profitability of the game than a political statement)

But! If what you say is true, then fine, consider my suggestion withdrawn, cause we wouldnt want to improve the game or anything, Right?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=374385

Here you go my friend read what the mod says about a toggle.

But if you do not want to look at the link you can look at this quote: "As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums."

Also I find your last remark a bit uncalled for, I did not say I'm against a toggle I am just reiterating what has officially been said.

Edited by theUndead