Screwed over by Bioware!

Hoodling

Allow me to set this thread back on a proper course now. As much as I'm ticked off by losing the name Bane, as I've pointed out myself, it's part of the SW lore and thereby I fully understand that it "shouldn't" be allowed. What made me angry was the way I lost it, and the fact that it was the very last of my original names. I wasn't asked or told to rename Bane, I got cheated out of it by Bioware's incompetent customer service representatives after they had already assured me that I could keep the name. This was just the last straw.

I'm quite confused by this. You know full well that it's against the policy to have the name, but you want them to let you have it anyway?

Do you realize how illogical that sounds, and thusly why it won't happen?

If Bioware had a proper system of priority in place by the time of the first merge, everyone who was on low-pop servers would have been given a fair chance to keep their names to this day. Like I said, if I had been stupid enough to stay on that tombstone of a server Bao-Dur, I would have been given a fair chance to keep my names during the second merge. But, since I had already renamed my characters by that time, I only had a chance of keeping names I didn't even want in the first place. And as I've also said, I'm far from being the only one that got "Screwed over by Bioware" when this crap when down.

Everyone did have a fair chance. It didn't matter what version of the game you bought. It didn't matter if you had early access or started the game a week before. It didn't matter what level the character was or how many you moved. The people who didn't transfer didn't have to change their name. If you did choose to change, you ran the risk.

As I pointed out before. You're not really interested in what is fair. You're only interested in what benefits you.

So what do I want now? That's the question, right? The only thing Bioware could possibly do to rectify the situation and compensate me, would be to give me a fair chance to get back my original names. And I want them to give that same opportunity to everyone who was on low-pop servers who lost their original names when Bioware forced us to leave our original servers. You could argue that they didn't force us, but that simply won't fly. We were given the opportunity to stay on dead servers or move to a new server that somewhat resembled an MMO environment. I had a guild to consider, so I didn't have the luxury of staying, not that I would have stayed anyway seing as everyone else left! I'm not seeking sympathy or looking for a handout in cartel coins or free game time from Bioware, I want them to do the right thing. This is a matter of principles and nothing else. Do I really expect Bioware to listen to me and change anything? Of course not, and that's why this riff is on the official forums and not in their mail-box.

I'm an existentialist by nature. Everything, including wether you live or not, is a matter and a result of choice.

You do understand that only one person who got funnelled into the servers is going to be able to get your wish, correct?

I quite fail to see your point. You know Bioware won't do anything, so you post here, even though you don't care what anyone has to say about it.

Edited by Darth_Halford

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know what that means, man. :cool:

Ouch, that sucks. But to be honest, some names are just going to be taken by default- why not try making more original names without resorting to punctuation stew or apostrophes?

Dude if they didnt merge the servers you would be playing with next to no one loosing a silly ingame name is worth playing with an actual server population. The game was dying and they had to fix it if the name means that much add a hyphen or comma. I understand your upset but its a silly argument to say you got screwed when they did what they did to save the game if they didnt make the change we wouldent be playing this game anymore it would of folded

Ouch, that sucks. But to be honest, some names are just going to be taken by default- why not try making more original names without resorting to punctuation stew or apostrophes?

Because I didn't need to, man! I got in first. I got the dead-sexiest award-winning line-up or iconic, epic, awesome, helvetes, amazing names EVER-ER-ER-ER-ERRRRH! I've heard people say this has been done in other MMOs (server merges, I mean), but I've never had it happen in any MMO I've ever played. So why the jumping, freaking, refrigerator-magnet would I ever plan to lose them? I can be creative just like the next person, but I'd rather get in first and get the most coveted names... and nobody's gonna come up in here and tell me those names aren't popular, and awesome and... ehm... :D

I find it epically hilarious that you are willing to write out multiple "War & Peace" threads over your character names.

Go outside, NAO.

Hey, I have the energy to spare, and the game isn't very entertaining now that we're all just sitting around waiting for the expansion to reset all our efforts. Besides, I'm angry, remember?

AMG, blablabla, not original, bla. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be offensive here, but this name crap is so last page. I'll take part of the blame on me since I obviously should have explained things a lot better and in deeper detail in the original post. I already said I'm not a new-age, neo-hippie, l33t-geek cyberwizard-warrior. I don't need my character names to be original. I got Hoodling from being original, which is mix of a Hoodlum and a Gibberling. I'd hardly say Hoodling got anything on REAPER-ER-ER-ERRRH! Nor does any other new-age, neo-hippie, l33t-geek cyberwizard-warrior name.

This isn't about whether or not I'd ACTUALLY GET TO KEEP those names. I wasn't even given a fair chance to keep them because there was no priority system in place. It was just a complete panick-attack by Bioware when they realized their servers were all ghost-towns, man! Come on!

I've been a very active player! I've been actively subscribing since launch and I had something like 4 level 50 characters at the time of the first transfer. I was doing dailies on 2-3 toons a day and raiding up to 7 days a week on my main. Even on a per-character-basis I would have had enough time logged in on each and every one of them to get to keep at the very least ONE of those names. I have zero doubt about that. But even if I didn't get to keep any of the names, at least I would take solace in the fact that I got a fair chance just like the people who were originally on the last 2 servers (The Red Eclipse and Nightmare Lands).

Why did their have to be a prioization effect in place? What's fair about that? That because you got early entry your names all matters regarding names will automatically default to people who been there the longest?

Or that whoever happens to transfer their character to the garden on the other side gets first dibs? That's not fair either.

Wether you like it or not, the way Bioware did it minimized the ammount of people who got hurt.

For what it's worth, I would take Hoodling over Reaper any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited by Darth_Halford

and nobody's gonna come up in here and tell me those names aren't popular, and awesome and... ehm... :D

Erm, didn't you hear several dozen people telling you just that?

I call troll. If it's not trolling on purpose, stay awesome and... ehm.

I'm quite confused by this. You know full well that it's against the policy to have the name, but you want them to let you have it anyway?

Do you realize how illogical that sounds, and thusly why it won't happen?

Everyone did have a fair chance. It didn't matter what version of the game you bought. It didn't matter if you had early access or started the game a week before. It didn't matter what level the character was or how many you moved. The people who didn't transfer didn't have to change their name. If you did choose to change, you ran the risk.

As I pointed out before. You're not really interested in what is fair. You're only interested in what benefits you.

I'm an existentialist by nature. Everything, including wether you live or not, is a matter and a result of choice.

You do understand that only one person who got funnelled into the servers is going to be able to get your wish, correct?

I quite fail to see your point. You know Bioware won't do anything, so you post here, even though you don't care what anyone has to say about it.

I'm sure there's a whole crap-ton of people

Since it's you, I'll repeat it just one more time.

Regarding Bane... they took my stuff.

I just went and got this from a thread I made on another forum, but it's will explain the finer points that seem lost on you. And please don't use this example to turn this thread into a debate about the sword of truth, guys.

"The reason everyone hates EA and their Origin store isn't that they gave us an easy and convenient way to buy their games (digital distribution). The reason we hate the them is that they took their games OFF Steam and all the other digital stores people were used to and had grown attached to. We hate EA, so why don't we hate Blizzard? Blizzard did the same thing, only Blizzard never sold their games through other digital distributors. So, Blizzard just gave us a new way to buy their games. EA took our stuff!"

Regarding how you think everyone got a fair chance... we didn't. We were left with the choice between staying in a ghost-town or losing our names. If I had stayed on Bao-Dur, my main be still be named REAPER-ER-ER-ER-ERRRH! And I would have had a fair chance to keep that name when they finally decided to do a second merge. What part of this is hard for you to understand? Call it whatever the hell you want, but they forced my hand, as they did for all of us who were on low-pop servers.

Regarding the last paragraph you quoted, yes... evidently (by the words the reply you just quoted) I was fully aware that there could only be ONE!

Erm, didn't you hear several dozen people telling you just that?

I call troll. If it's not trolling on purpose, stay awesome and... ehm.

Yeah, yeah. Take a vote from the entire human race and we'll see how many people prefer the name Mariad over Reaper. I don't care what any of these people here say. There's no arguing the fact those names are popular and coveted, because they're always taken, everywhere!

Yeah, yeah. Take a vote from the entire human race and we'll see how many people prefer the name Mariad over Reaper. I don't care what any of these people here say. There's no arguing the fact those names are popular and coveted, because they're always taken, everywhere!

so what you're saying is those names are unoriginal, uninspired and basically cliche names?

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you? :):rolleyes:

You should just step away from the forums. No one is going to side with your entitlement complex that is backed with the attitude of a 5 year old. No amount of screaming and kicking will get mommy to give you those unoriginal names back. :rak_03:

Because it takes half a brain to think them up! You took the name of a powerful EU Darth...hmm...never saw issues with that coming! :rolleyes: Then you chose the name of a character from Top Gun, or the name of an average Mel Gibson movie...either way...epic fail. :rolleyes: Then you took the most generic name even remotely connected to death! :rolleyes: What's next? You going to name one of your toons Rambo? How about Terminator? I know Freddie Kruger! No, no, no, no, no...I have the PERFECT name for you! Since you like 80's movies names...how about Slider? That was Iceman's co-pilot!

THE AMOUNT OF EPIC FAIL IS AMAZING HERE!!!!1!1!111!

Long story short...QYB and go do something productive, I am tired of seeing this WORTHLESS thread at the top of the general forum!

Edited by planet_J

Why did their have to be a prioization effect in place? What's fair about that? That because you got early entry your names all matters regarding names will automatically default to people who been there the longest?

Or that whoever happens to transfer their character to the garden on the other side gets first dibs? That's not fair either.

Wether you like it or not, the way Bioware did it minimized the ammount of people who got hurt.

For what it's worth, I would take Hoodling over Reaper any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Awe, you're just saying that. Secretly, there's a little Reaper in all of us. :o

Seriously, I might have lost half my names. Maybe I'd just get to keep a couple... maybe just Reaper. I could live with that. As long as I got the same chance to keep that name as everyone else did! Come on, man. I'm talking about the principle of fair game here. Everyone who was on low-pop servers during the first merge, or "transfers" as they like to call it, got shafted. We got a fair chance to keep the names we were force into picking after we lost all our original names, though. Not that I care. By that time, the shafting process was already complete. I picked some more epic names (by my own standards) after the first move, and I didn't lose any of them. Do you know what that tells me? I would most likely have been able to keep Reaper and several others. That's what's killin' me here. And as I keep saying, this isn't all about me. The way Bioware handled the first merge was so completely screwed up.

Since it's you, I'll repeat it just one more time.

Regarding Bane... they took my stuff.

I just went and got this from a thread I made on another forum, but it's will explain the finer points that seem lost on you. And please don't use this example to turn this thread into a debate about the sword of truth, guys.

"The reason everyone hates EA and their Origin store isn't that they gave us an easy and convenient way to buy their games (digital distribution). The reason we hate the them is that they took their games OFF Steam and all the other digital stores people were used to and had grown attached to. We hate EA, so why don't we hate Blizzard? Blizzard did the same thing, only Blizzard never sold their games through other digital distributors. So, Blizzard just gave us a new way to buy their games. EA took our stuff!"

Regarding how you think everyone got a fair chance... we didn't. We were left with the choice between staying in a ghost-town or losing our names. If I had stayed on Bao-Dur, my main be still be named REAPER-ER-ER-ER-ERRRH! And I would have had a fair chance to keep that name when they finally decided to do a second merge. What part of this is hard for you to understand? Call it whatever the hell you want, but they forced my hand, as they did for all of us who were on low-pop servers.

Regarding the last paragraph you quoted, yes... evidently (by the words the reply you just quoted) I was fully aware that there could only be ONE!

A) Your anecdote makes as little sense to me as anything else that you've posted. There is no logical explination as to anything

B) They took something you never should have had.

C) "Forcing Your Hand" is a logical fallacy that gamblers and fools use to justify why their coming home with empty pockets and put the blame on somebody else. You chose that playing the game was more important the name that you played under and are blaming Bioware for it.

D) There are several people who have posted about how they too lost their name and have moved on. You seem singularly devoted to making an issue of this.

A) Your anecdote makes as little sense to me as anything else that you've posted. There is no logical explination as to anything

B) They took something you never should have had.

C) "Forcing Your Hand" is a logical fallacy that gamblers and fools use to justify why their coming home with empty pockets and put the blame on somebody else. You chose that playing the game was more important the name that you played under and are blaming Bioware for it.

D) There are several people who have posted about how they too lost their name and have moved on. You seem singularly devoted to making an issue of this.

I've lost all faith in your ability to understand anything at this point. But, by all means, keep trolling. Feed the animal. Keep my thread alive while I sleep at night. :D

Did you have a point to make?

Hmmm thought my point was pretty clear. I'll break it down for you.

Unoriginal: lacking in an form of unique originality - every man and his dog has the same thing.

Uninspired: Not inspired; not creative or spirited.

Cliche: A trite, stereotyped expression. Ususally a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse.

IE: there is nothing "epic" about these names that you have chosen. Be original. think of something new.

Edited by Razdek

You had a choice. You admit that you KNEW you had a choice, and what your two options were. You CHOSE to move servers and lose your "epic" names. Now you want to blame EA/BW. Sorry, you CHOSE to move, no one forced you to move and lose your names.

Edited by Ratajack

Hmmm thought my point was pretty clear. I'll break it down for you.

Unoriginal: lacking in an form of unique originality - every man and his dog has the same thing.

Uninspired: Not inspired; not creative or spirited.

Cliche: A trite, stereotyped expression. Ususally a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse.

And?

I don't care about any of that. I chose the names because I wanted them.

You had a choice. You admit that you KNEW you had a choice, and what your two options were. You CHOSE to move servers and lose your "epic" names. Now you want to blame EA/BW. Sorry, you CHOSE to move, no one forced you to move and lose your names.

Choice is a funny word to describe it. I was the GM of a guild. I had to move. The server was already dead, and everybody that was on it left as soon as they could. I'm not paying to play a singleplayer game here. This is an MMO. Choice? Gimme a god damn break.

Choice is a funny word to describe it. I was the GM of a guild. I had to move. The server was already dead, and everybody that was on it left as soon as they could. I'm not paying to play a singleplayer game here. This is an MMO. Choice? Gimme a gosh darn break.

No, you didn't have to move. You CHOSE to move. Try to justify it anyway you want, but in the end you did have to option to stay where you were, and keep your names.

Do the facts get in the way of your attempt to play the victim?

Here is what you said, emphasis mine:

and nobody's gonna come up in here and tell me those names aren't popular, and awesome and... ehm... :D

I hear that you like your names, and good for you! But many people do NOT consider them awesome. As evidenced by this thread. Please don't claim that nobody is going to tell you the names are not awesome. Dozens of people have told you that.

There are some 1.2 million people named Maria in the US alone, btw, and I am not aware of any named Reaper. What was that about? Comparing a real name (with an initial) to a game character name isn't very meaningful.

Awe, you're just saying that. Secretly, there's a little Reaper in all of us. :o

Seriously, I might have lost half my names. Maybe I'd just get to keep a couple... maybe just Reaper. I could live with that. As long as I got the same chance to keep that name as everyone else did! Come on, man. I'm talking about the principle of fair game here. Everyone who was on low-pop servers during the first merge, or "transfers" as they like to call it, got shafted. We got a fair chance to keep the names we were force into picking after we lost all our original names, though. Not that I care. By that time, the shafting process was already complete. I picked some more epic names (by my own standards) after the first move, and I didn't lose any of them. Do you know what that tells me? I would most likely have been able to keep Reaper and several others. That's what's killin' me here. And as I keep saying, this isn't all about me. The way Bioware handled the first merge was so completely screwed up.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Somebody else had the name on the first server, and that's how you lost the name. Now you expand that process of funneling several servers into just one place. When you yourself say that these names are so extremely popular that you had to do early access to gain them, how is it that with almost a hundred servers condensed to around five or so you would expect to keep them?