Sorc/Sage LS Animations

Gankstah

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I'm gonna bring it up again.

Having a light saber as a Sorc/Sage borders insulting. I don't presume to speak for everyone but my IMPRESSION is that many others may agree with me on this. Can we either:

A.) Get our lightsaber's somehow integrated into current attack animations so it doesn't just sit there like a useless stat stick or...

B.) Have a toggle option to remove the lightsaber graphic from our avatar.

I'm assuming B would be the easiest option since only a grand total of like two Sorc/Sage abilities actually use the lightsaber in it's animation and the majority of players don't even have these on their hot bars past level 20. I'm sure most players would prefer option A but if given the choice between option B or nothing... I choose option B.

Thanks for your time.

Im in total agreement on this. There doesn’t seem to be any useful purpose of outfitting a sorc/sage with a lightsaber other than to show that they are part of star wars lore. Otherwise they just seem to be Force Wizards. I realize we are a dps class but there must be a way for this class to incorporate the lightsaber other than just walking around with one.

Every class i can think of except the Sage/Sorc has a no cost filler skill appropriate to their class. The no cost filler skill on Sages/Sorc is a melee skill Saber Strike. A skill which many take off their skill bars by the mid levels as we become a ranged class.

This skill should be replaced with something more useful to Sages/Sorcs. In another thread in the Sage sub-forums there was a suggestion to add a saber throw skill. Mainly to give Sorcs/Sages a useful skill that actually has a saber animation. I suggested replacing Saber Strike with a saber throw skill give us a filler skill or something to use from range that has no force cost. You can even spice it up a with a nice burst proc on enemies with Mind Crush or Weaken Mind on them that applies the remainder of the dot immediately.

I find that some animations will temporarily SHEATHE the lightsaber as well (I think at one point Chain Lightning did so, but I'm not entirely sure about now.)

However, as uncomfortable as they are, they are there to deflect blaster fire and keep lightsabers at bay. I personally don't like running around with my stat stick (I don't enjoy the Inquisitor lightsaber animations) but unless we are able to either learn Force Deflect, or permanently create some kind of Shield ability, there won't really BE a way to retire lightsabers.

Total agreement. It's a travesty that Sages and Sorcerers have to stand there holding a useless weapon. It's bothered me since before the game was released, when I was just watching demos of the Taral V flashpoint and the consular just stood, making the same hand gesture over and over while the legendary, easily-recognizable Jedi weapon remained motionless in his other hand.

And I get that these classes are supposed to be primarily ranged, but the melee classes have ranged abilities. The knights and warriors have a lightsaber throw as well as Force Stasis/Choke. They have "Force Push". They have "Force Scream". None of those are melee abilities, but they're all used by melee classes. Why don't the Sages/Sorcerers get that kind of balance?

Heck, I'd be satisfied if we just got the same "Deflect" animation that the Guardian gets in 2.0, just to know that the lightsaber isn't completely worthless. Otherwise, yes, I'd like to be able to turn it off.

However, as uncomfortable as they are, they are there to deflect blaster fire and keep lightsabers at bay.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can't actually remember the last time my LS "deflected" anything other than lowbie mobs. In fact I'm pretty sure that's never actually ever happened.

Whatever happens, never remove or allow disabling lightsaber visual on Sage. Sage is Jedi, Jedi has light saber.

Without lightsaber its just some damned wizard from wow or some other game. Plus few of us still use saber like Jedi is supposed to, even if damage is not so great. Also you can generate focus with saber strike.

I agree that removing lightsaber should not be possible, as that would just make Sage a "wizard" (oh how glad I am they did not chose to go with this name). Making some abilities channeled through the sword would be great, however, this seems to be more up the Sorc alley, as lightning is easier to channel across something than rock pellets... Edited by Aries_cz

At least give Sages a finishing move that uses the damn saber. Something like Dispatch for Knights but instead of a spinning saber it flies straight and stabs somewhat like a spear would and leaves a hole in the chest a la Shadow Strike. Now that would be a great way to make use of our glow sticks.

I think we can agree on is that we want a decent lightsaber ability. What we have now is pretty much a joke

Well, saber ability is not really needed, as our arsenal is quite extensive now (not saying that there is not room for improvement). Just making animations of current abilities to utilize saber in some way. The problem is to figure out something that will look cool and would not just be "so that it has saber animation".

Fully supporting this.

Give Double strike a new animation and allow us to use our lightsaber at some point. Maybe for channeling, maybe for other purposes but give us something !

Edited by Hakkology

There are ways that the lightsaber could be used and I think that they are more or less mentioned in the above posts.

a) Defensive ability. Increases chance of deflecting/blocking ranged/melee attacks by 50% for 3s. Cooldown of 30-45s. A weaker version of dodge with a shorter cd.

b) Finishing move. *cough* dispatch. *cough*

c) Basic ranged attack. The animation time will make it problematic, plus it is a copy of sentinels/guardians. I think for basic ranged attack it has to be something else. Maybe a small disturbance.

My money would be on a).

There are ways that the lightsaber could be used and I think that they are more or less mentioned in the above posts.

a) Defensive ability. Increases chance of deflecting/blocking ranged/melee attacks by 50% for 3s. Cooldown of 30-45s. A weaker version of dodge with a shorter cd.

b) Finishing move. *cough* dispatch. *cough*

c) Basic ranged attack. The animation time will make it problematic, plus it is a copy of sentinels/guardians. I think for basic ranged attack it has to be something else. Maybe a small disturbance.

My money would be on a).

Really like both a and b