confirmed: Gree event is PVP

tpryan

when I grabbed the quests I assumed that the ones marked PVP were...well PVP and the ones not marked PVP were...well NOT.

I go to the pirate section and am grabbing the equipment and killing the pirates when a flagged member from the opposite faction unsealths into my AOE...then his 5 friends kill me.

I manage to get the quest done but die 3 more times...all the while these guys are ganking anyone they can trick into the AOE flag thing.

possibly the worst time I have had in this game.

and from looking at gen chat the factions are killing themselves too...

very negative play experience...My wife and I have leveled several 50's together have a great time most of the time. There is no way I can get her to do this new content if she has to world PvP...so do I go back to grinding the old dailies and PVP zones?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can agree that the 'being able to attack your same faction' is stupid, I didn't have difficulty at all when I went to do my dailies out there.

While working on the non pvp ones, I did notice that there were flagged members of my own faction out there, so I simply did not use my AOE, thus not making myself attackable to them.

While working on the pvp dailies, the philosophy on my server seemed simple. Live and let live. I didn't attack anyone and no one attacked me.

Sadly there are jerks, both in our own factions and not, who will use any excuse to ruin some one else's gaming experience.

In the mean time, I'd just suggest caution to anyone using AOEs, they're better left unused during these dailies.

Well, for starters, it is indeed a PVP event, in a PVP area, and as such, 2 people going it alone (who can't both stealth) are going to have a rather tricky time of it.

That said, what is it about PVP specifically that you dislike? For the most part, it's not really different from PVE, with the exception that real people are controlling the opponents, and can, as such, make rather interesting and unpredictable moves.

One obvious problem, of course, is that if you aren't using PVP armor, with a good amount of Expertise, your weapons and armor aren't going to help much, and you will be easily outclassed by people who have been gearing up through PVP.

Many people have been waiting for some good open world PVP to come along, and this event on my server had 3 instances of Ilum, all filled with people battling all across the zone. I think it's a marvelous event, and had a lot of fun so far, and can't wait to get back into it a little later.

Maybe you should team up with one of the ops groups or teams running around so you have some backup and some numbers to provide safety? Even if you're in PVE gear, if you get in with a big crowd, you might end up enjoying it quite a bit more and helping out.

Even still, if it winds up not being for you, please know that it isn't because BioWare wanted to frustrate you or was trying to aggravate you... it's just what happens when people who don't like to PVP get caught up in it. This event is specially catered to PVP and PVP areas, and if this event isn't for you, then there will be another coming up in a few months that will undoubtedly have some different environments and strategies that may be more to your liking.

Good luck, whichever way you're going!

Then don't do the PvP dailies problem solved.

Unless I'm mistaken, you gain 1710 rep for the PvE dailies. = 11970 rep per week, with a weekly cap of 12000 rep.

The PvE heroic is the only daily that awards a helix which is needed for the legacy weapon.

Well, for starters, it is indeed a PVP event, in a PVP area, and as such, 2 people going it alone (who can't both stealth) are going to have a rather tricky time of it.

That said, what is it about PVP specifically that you dislike? For the most part, it's not really different from PVE, with the exception that real people are controlling the opponents, and can, as such, make rather interesting and unpredictable moves.

Correction - There are six quests, only TWO of these six are listed as PVP.

YES, you can be flagged as pvp WHILE doing the pve dailies, IF you use AOEs around ANYONE, your faction or not, who is flagged for pvp.

Simple fix, if you don't want to pvp, DONT use AOEs around flagged people and DONT do the TWO pvp quests, just do the pve quests and watch where you shoot.

Also... there's a LOT to not like about pvp when the people on your OWN faction are destroying you in massive groups rather than helping you defeat your ENEMY, aka, the OTHER faction.

But that all boils down to crappy players who take more joy in griefing than playing the game.

"That said, what is it about PVP specifically that you dislike? "

I LOVE PvP...have a character with 1360 exp...but I dont like that this ENTIRE event is for open world PvP.

(Which is VERY different from WZ PvP)

I may not have been clear but I was doing the quests that were NOT marked PVP...I was killing the Tonvaar(sp?) pirates and grabbing their equipment. I did an AOE (Cyclone slash more than likely) and someone who was stealthed and flagged got hit...this flagged me. Her compadres then jumped me and I was dead.

If you can't PVP then dont bother joining everyone in the event. I never understood the PVE only people. Learn to play

learn to read...I was doing the NON PVP quests.

I am also not a PVE only person....but they are out there and it seems unfair for Bioware to create an event they cannot play in.

This is probably better discussed in a different thread...good question, but it's a different topic. the threads about someone who wasn't looking for PvP in the area in question, but ended up being griefed.

I personally played PvP allot early in my career, but got burnt out on the childish behaviors and attitudes and the constant balancing act PvP forces on PvE classes. so I'm not looking forward to this event...but I can perfectly capable of not using my AoE in areas where griefers will be present. I've certainly played my share of PvP oriented games, So I know how to avoid the deep water.

though this is a tough design issue, You think that Bio could have understood that the only people that would probably enjoy this setup ARE the griefers. the best solution would have been to simply keep the areas very separate...then the PvP folks could enjoy the PvP qeusts AND the PvE ones (in a PvE safe zone), and the PvE players could just enjoy the PvE ones, free of griefers.

I to this day still fail to understand why game force players to access both styles of play, when they are so obviously different, with very drastic feelings on the subjects of both. the systems (PvP and PvE) should be separate, but accessible by both, not merged.

If you can't PVP then dont bother joining everyone in the event. I never understood the PVE only people. Learn to play

learn to play? LEARN TO PLAY??

I hate onions. I know how to cook them just fine, but I hate their tastes. by your logic, I have to force myself to like them anyways.

some of us don't like pvp. its just not fun to us. simple as that.

that said - the flagging from AoE issue is a long standing crap in multiple MMO's so unfortunately, the only way to deal with it right now is not use AoE (and that btw, includes companions as well - their AoE can flag you too) my personal choice? I don't really care about legacy weapons much, so I'll just be doing the rest of the dailies during off hours on multiple characters - thank you legacy wide rep.. if I still manage to find a heroic group for it? then - bonus! otherwise... meh.

I wish it was different. I wish I could just pve on pve server without having to drastically change my playstyle. but you cannot control other people, only what you do yourself.

very negative play experience...My wife and I have leveled several 50's together have a great time most of the time. There is no way I can get her to do this new content if she has to world PvP...so do I go back to grinding the old dailies and PVP zones?

I know, "we", as a community raised our concerns about this very possibility of low life's ganking and griefing people just trying to get through their quest. Apparently that fell on deaf ears. :mad:

I know tonight when I try and do some of these quests, if I have these same troubles, it will negatively affect my subscription where all my characters are on PVE servers.

Edited by DakotaDoc

Sounds like when blackhole first came out. Not like this is a new thing. Use your aoes wisely and don't help pvp flagged allies (heals, buffs, etc) if you don't want flagged.... they will have green names instead of blue fyi. Edited by Keypek

Sounds like when blackhole first came out. Not like this is a new thing. Use your aoes wisely and don't help pvp flagged allies (heals, buffs, etc) if you don't want flagged.... they will have green names instead of blue fyi.

Yea, it's very simple to avoid. I love to AOE with my sage but I didn't want to get flagged. Easy enough to stay PVE and complete this event.

The good thing is if I decide to try some PVP and get some more rep, I have that option as well but I don't have to. It's a nice mix.

The issue here is not the event but the fact that they have always allowed groups to flag another player for PvP by rrunning into his AOE attacks. This is just plain annoying and can force people into PvP. Luckly my main is an imp and we seem to outnumber reps so most often they dont want to force PvP as they are outnumbered. Howeverever I am sure some stealth characters will wait til someone is facing a gold elite on half health then foce him into PvP and kill him I just have been lucky and avoided it.

I completly agree as well that expertise has runied PvP, PvE players are just cannon fodder in wolrd PvP events, they can not compete and will just be slaugtered every time regardless of skill.

Edited by Izorii

learn to play? LEARN TO PLAY??

I hate onions. I know how to cook them just fine, but I hate their tastes. by your logic, I have to force myself to like them anyways.

some of us don't like pvp. its just not fun to us. simple as that.

that said - the flagging from AoE issue is a long standing crap in multiple MMO's so unfortunately, the only way to deal with it right now is not use AoE (and that btw, includes companions as well - their AoE can flag you too) my personal choice? I don't really care about legacy weapons much, so I'll just be doing the rest of the dailies during off hours on multiple characters - thank you legacy wide rep.. if I still manage to find a heroic group for it? then - bonus! otherwise... meh.

I wish it was different. I wish I could just pve on pve server without having to drastically change my playstyle. but you cannot control other people, only what you do yourself.

I'm pretty sure a lot of pvp players dont like pve but we're forced to do it anyway.

It goes both ways, live with it.

The issue here is not the event but the fact that they have always allowed groups to flag another player for PvP by rrunning into his AOE attacks.

Not always, in fact they made multiple changes early on to prevent different ways of being unintentionally flagged:

Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability's range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.1.4/2222012

Players are no longer flagged for PvP if they use their class buff on a player that is flagged.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.3.0/allies

If this is indeed happening again then it sounds like a regression of an old "bug".

This is probably better discussed in a different thread...good question, but it's a different topic. the threads about someone who wasn't looking for PvP in the area in question, but ended up being griefed.

I personally played PvP allot early in my career, but got burnt out on the childish behaviors and attitudes and the constant balancing act PvP forces on PvE classes. so I'm not looking forward to this event...but I can perfectly capable of not using my AoE in areas where griefers will be present. I've certainly played my share of PvP oriented games, So I know how to avoid the deep water.

though this is a tough design issue, You think that Bio could have understood that the only people that would probably enjoy this setup ARE the griefers. the best solution would have been to simply keep the areas very separate...then the PvP folks could enjoy the PvP qeusts AND the PvE ones (in a PvE safe zone), and the PvE players could just enjoy the PvE ones, free of griefers.

I to this day still fail to understand why game force players to access both styles of play, when they are so obviously different, with very drastic feelings on the subjects of both. the systems (PvP and PvE) should be separate, but accessible by both, not merged.

The devs insist on repeating past mistakes. They assume that if they can just force pve'ers to pvp they will love it. They dont understand that this will drive away more players. There hasnt been any new pve content in months, just pvp and cartel. At least 2 months till any chance of more pve. they arent doing so hot at keeping subscribers.

The devs insist on repeating past mistakes. They assume that if they can just force pve'ers to pvp they will love it. They dont understand that this will drive away more players. There hasnt been any new pve content in months, just pvp and cartel. At least 2 months till any chance of more pve. they arent doing so hot at keeping subscribers.

lol, there is way more pve content than pvp. We haven't had world pvp since Ilum was shut down in 1.2. Not to mention pvpers often have to do pve content, it works both ways. Get over it.