New Chapter in Storyline?

Xcore

My guess is the new chapters will become the first expansion funded by the "not really an expansion DLC" and the cartel items.

I would say we are more than a year from that and I suspect they may change the form slightly as I cant imagine any EA budget ever allowing for all that voice acting again

New companion storylines? Unlikely.

The issue with new comp storylines is that most people don't do all 40/40. Thus the content is being created but only played to a small extent by the majority. Heck, I only have HK-51 + 25 unique companions. The amount of people who finish 30/40, let alone 40/40 is smaller than you might think.

Now new class missions, that's a possibility.

There had better be more companion and class stories coming. New classes too. I'm bored out of my skull. If they don't get on that, or atleast promise us some of that in the future, I dunno, I'm not sure I want to cough up any more dough for something I've done atleast 3 or 4 times per class. :(

Three act storylines, much like a trilogy or cinema storytelling in general, done.

Each storyline ends pretty much with you as the biggest name of your type, done.

New companion storylines would be much like HK as in totally outside the rest of the companion and class storylines and especially romance ones since a new romance would have to undo the old one first.

Really I am glad that we are looking at expansions featuring new faction stories as they can only screw up the class story given so far.

New classes would be possible but staggering amounts of work since they the worlds were made to host the original ones, and not everyone does every class so a lot of work not everyone will even look at it.

Even though the upcoming chapter is shared between all the classes that doesn't mean there wont be a follow-up to the class stories at some point.

Stuff that leaked out of the 1.7 patch showed that there are some preliminary plans to expand the trooper story, and there is evidence to suggest that voice work has been recorded by the companion voice actors post launch.

We could see this content in the form of class exclusive storylines, or shared storylines with class specific content thrown in.

I don't think we have seen the end of class exclusive content in one form or another. The problem is that content like this is expensive, and it may be hard to justify it on an mmo that didn't live up to its predicted revenue streams. We could see content like this, but it will never be as substantial as the 1-50 class stories.

Edited by Marb

I doubt it OP

It seems to be the conclusion (falsely IMO) that SW:TOR failed as a sub based MMORPG because of the focus on companion story lines and player story lines.

Thus we get a planet story line only with the upcoming Free Content Update "that wasn't" Makeb.

Obviously anyone with a clue knows the truth is quite the opposite.

People loved the player and companion story lines and wanted MORE DEPTH in them rather then them removed.

TOR fell short because it didn't add all the extras MMORPGs traditionally require for long term health in subscriber base market (WOW being the one exception).

- community building concepts outside of standard group content (For TOR we would be talking things like Pazaak, Swoop Racing, housing (or at least ship decoration), ect)

- Slower leveling curve to enhance character immersion and attachment with player

-greater character customization in greater ingame (not cartel market cash based) substance like a barber shop, more color crystals, greater clothing styles that a unique and separate from each other

- Viable Open World RVR rather then the rinse and repeat Warzones that become repetitive and boring in short order

- and so much more

Story and companion Story were fantastic and the only real shortcoming is they were very limited in linear design and dint offer up enough variance in choices and direction. Plus you really didnt take part in your companion story, you just spoke which was such a huge missed opportunity its shameful.

So yeah, I doubt we will see the money and development put into future player story lines and companion story lines.

If anything I think the even more shallow version we see with HK-51 will be the standard operating procedure going forward. Less substance, not more.

And for those saying we going to get a proper sized expansion in the future.

Your delussional.

If Makeb, after being promised as a FREE CONTENT UPDATE, generates any substancial income. What your going to see going forward is 5-6 so called "mini expansions" through out a year. All togather they will equal a PROPER sized expansion but will generate $50.00 to $60.00 from subscribers extra each year (rather then the $40.00-$45.00 that is normal for a normal yearly expansion) and generate a WINFALL POTENTIAL of $100.00 to $120.00 from F2P players who normally would just do the buy to play formula of purchasing 1 $40.00-$45.00 year end expansion.

If Makeb makes money, you will NEVER see the proper sized expansion from this title and rather see 5-6 mini expansion for what amounts to more money just spread over the 12 month period.

Edited by Kalfear

I think I read somewhere a post form BW, saying that Makeb will finish this "interlude" part we are in, and after that there will be Chapter 4

Pretty much this. EA/Bioware is behind on story progression, I don't think anyone disputes that. However,

Timothy Omundson stated somewhere (in an interview or on Twitter) that he was going into the studio to record more dialogue for Aric Jorgan. Either way, that points to new content.

Also, once again, people are assuming that dialogue for everyone's Ch 4. hasn't already been recorded, at least in part.

Will it be 3 additional chapters? Likely not. If Makeb will take us from 50-55, Ch 4. will probably take us from 55-60, so that's 1 story worth. Sheer speculation, of course.

I think the Cartel Market has been enough of a success that there is no reason we can't expect a real "expansion." WoW had major expacs every 2 years, so hopefully around 3rd/4th quarter 2013 we'll start seeing announcements.

That said, the day Bioware announces that all stories finished at Ch. 3, that's the day I unsub.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.