The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Underworld Surgeon / Barber Shop

Voren_Kurn

There are a lot of features in this game that funnel players towards being a subscriber. Cosmetic character changes would be a great incentive to push more people in that direction. If the only way to get this feature is to pay for it then so be it. I think a lot of people want this.

This thread is starting to get more recognition which is great. Tell your friends and guild mates to put a post up and show Bioware we want this feature.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy!

I love the idea of a barber shop feature; we've kicked the idea around a great deal internally. I especially love the idea of being able to add scars to your character as you level (or maybe even change your human to a cyborg because he took too much battle damage!).

Il love to remove some features like scars actually :)

Howdy!

I love the idea of a barber shop feature; we've kicked the idea around a great deal internally. I especially love the idea of being able to add scars to your character as you level (or maybe even change your human to a cyborg because he took too much battle damage!).

Great for someone to take notice! I've been wanting this for a while now and think BW could benefit greatly from it.

Howdy!

Great that you are still liking the idea. It would truly be stellar to be able to fully customize your character's appearance anytime in the game instead of just character creation, including species. Underworld Surgeoun aka Face Merchant would be a great name for that feature.

It's certainly some of those things that I'd like to see the UI team tackle right after essential features like chat bubbles are finally implemented, which will hopefully be really soon.

Edited by Glzmo

Yes please! An Underworld Surgeon/ Barber Shop is probably my most wanted feature in the game. Being able to change hair/beard/ facial features and even body types would bring me back to many of my abandoned alts. Being able to change species would be fantastic as well! :D

I've already had a post that relates to this going for a bit now and, while it's good to see support for the idea anywhere, I'm vehemently opposed to it being a cartel shop exclusive (which is why I haven't re-posted the idea in this sub forum).

In my honest opinion, only the big changes such as race, gender and/or a complete overhaul of your character should be cartel market territory. Everything else should be established in game and purchased with credits. It provides another valuable credit sink for the economy and allows for greater player satisfaction.

To supplement this, EAWare could easily offer character customization packs in the cartel shop containing new hair styles, tattoo unlocks (possibly even for races that don't have them currently available), and the like. I'd be 100% on board with that, so long as the core recustomization mechanic stays tied to the existing in game currency (credits).

On a side note, I find it somewhat disconcerting that a 3 month old post with 22 pages of replies hasn't had a single official response, yet one made in the sub forum on how they can monetize it gets an almost instant reply.

/sadface

Edited by althene

On a side note, I find it somewhat disconcerting that a 3 month old post with 22 pages of replies hasn't had a single official response, yet one made in the sub forum on how they can monetize it gets an almost instant reply.

Yes, that is a complete bummer customer-service-wise..but if you've been here enough you probably aren't THAT much disconcerted, it's just he way it goes here. I just want them to Implement this feature, don't much care for scheme they chose to make it happen

Yes, that is a complete bummer customer-service-wise..but if you've been here enough you probably aren't THAT much disconcerted, it's just he way it goes here. I just want them to Implement this feature, don't much care for scheme they chose to make it happen

The only reason it concerns me is the potential precident it would set. EA is know to have the "given an inch, take a mile" mentality when it comes for charging for their goods and services. People are already complaining (some justly and some not so much) about the cartel store and how they feel it's nickle diming them. While I find the cartel store prices to be somewhat extortionate, I don't see this as being the case just yet. However, I fear that, should this type of thing come to pass, it truely would be. Especially given the fact that, as it stands now, that $15 cartel set is bound to a single character. It definitely would be extortionate to tell me to pay up to recustomize or lose my $15 cartel item (minimum) if I find that I don't like the way my character looks later on since my only other recourse would be to start over.

Furthermore, it puts the potential for being truely free to play further out of reach. In such an instance as recustomization becomes available, and said availability is only accessible through the cartel store, f2p players are left with 2 options unless they spend real money: 1) hope they can find it on the GTN for a reasonable price, or 2) delete their character and start over. While I understand that they don't have anything invested in the game other than their time, and EAWare needs to get people to spend their money, I think it's truely abhorrent for them to hold a player hostage to their time investment like this. Especially given the fact that, should in game surgeon/barber shops go into play alongside cartel customization options, they'd likely have a much better chance of getting these f2p players to wiling pay their money instead of having them feel bullied into it.

It would be nice though if this was in an area, say on fleet, where you could go see that npc, preview the looks on your character, then buy what you want rather than purchase say Red/Blue hair #3 with a tiny picture showing it. By having the npc and getting a close look at yourself it would make it easier for you to decide what you do or don't want.

I would prefer that subscribers get access to this feature for free but, If it's is going to be a cartel market item then I would like to see it be a one time unlock and it be account bound.

Instead of making the barber shop feature it's self cost coins for subscribers to unlock why not offer something like appearance packs that have a number of new customization options for sale on the market. I'd like to see the packs have customization options for both male and female toons contained with in a pack, but I would be ok with them tied to a specific race. Like one pack that has a bunch of options for zabraks or something. These packs should contain new customization options currently not available in the game. I'd like to see the features unlocked with these packs be account bound so in addition to modifying my existing toons any new toons I make would have access to them as well. I however would not have a problem with major changes (i.e. race, body type, or gender) being character specific.

As far as pricing for these packs, I personally would like to see them be relatively cheep so I could get access to a lot of them. But I acknowledge that making them more expensive would probably generate more money.

In a perfect world I'd like to see subscriber get access to not only the barber shop feature for free but any new customization options for free as well. This would create a much greater incentive to subscribe vs. staying free to play or preferred status. Overall I'd like to see more rewards for subscribers vs. just offering things to buy on the cartel market. But that's just me I'm sure it's something that your marketing team will mess around with.

I would prefer that subscribers get access to this feature for free but, If it's is going to be a cartel market item then I would like to see it be a one time unlock and it be account bound.

Instead of making the barber shop feature it's self cost coins for subscribers to unlock why not offer something like appearance packs that have a number of new customization options for sale on the market. I'd like to see the packs have customization options for both male and female toons contained with in a pack, but I would be ok with them tied to a specific race. Like one pack that has a bunch of options for zabraks or something. These packs should contain new customization options currently not available in the game. I'd like to see the features unlocked with these packs be account bound so in addition to modifying my existing toons any new toons I make would have access to them as well. I however would not have a problem with major changes (i.e. race, body type, or gender) being character specific.

As far as pricing for these packs, I personally would like to see them be relatively cheep so I could get access to a lot of them. But I acknowledge that making them more expensive would probably generate more money.

In a perfect world I'd like to see subscriber get access to not only the barber shop feature for free but any new customization options for free as well. This would create a much greater incentive to subscribe vs. staying free to play or preferred status. Overall I'd like to see more rewards for subscribers vs. just offering things to buy on the cartel market. But that's just me I'm sure it's something that your marketing team will mess around with.

This.

Although, realistically we have to realize that EAWare likely won't give away for free anything they're going to offer in their cartel store outside of their current basic subscription "perks". That said, adding more character customization options to the subscription benefits would be pretty nice. I've already proposed a ship board barber/surgeon droid purchasable with either credits or cartel coins similar to the ship board repair droid. This would be in addition to fleet born surgeon/barber shops in a manner similar to how the field respec perk works with relation to the respec option. We would need to have actual character recustomization implimented for it to work, however.

Edited by althene

I would really like to see this implemented in the game now. It would give the cartel coin designers something fresh and new to add to the store that would be worth buying. They can give us barber shop vendors on the fleet like Star Trek Online and then start designing Cartel Hair Styles and Accessory Packs.

This is the kind of update we want after that silly legacy PVE 7.0 update. The high lvl and social community are getting really bored with end content, if you are not going to give us a Open World PVP then at least give us a barber shop so that our character can have fun on the fleet changing our alts hair and looks.

I would give you £20 just to have a lovely long hair styles for my Jedi and Sith alts... And please don't give me any rubbish about clipping with long hair, if GW2, Star Trek Online and DCU can do it so can you!

That's awesome to hear! I love the feature in the other MMOs and SPRPGs I'm playing.

I might even take up the option of cybernetics if being a cyborg didn't mean that you had to be clean-shaven. I won't be giving up my beards any time soon. The lack of beards are why, from beta until now, I have no cyborgs.

I approve of this! It would be a great addition. At the very least, the ability to recustomize hairstyles and makeup/complexion on the fly for a nominal CREDIT fee (for subscribers, and add one-time customization tickets to the CM) should be added. This would then allow you to add customization options to the Cartel Market (preferably through one-time payments, not inside the gambling boxes), as well as some more to the baseline.

My biggest suggestion would be to make sure that, in your mad rush to monetize it all, you do not forget to add more value for existing customers as well, and letting folks expand their game via playing it, and not just paying for it. It is healthy for the game when some stuff can only be earned, even of other cool stuff is up for purchase.

Just my 2 credits.

I would really like it if you bought the kit off the cartel market but had to go to an in game location to use it like a back alley plastic surgeon. Add a bit of ingame content not just a magic ticket which changes your appearance there and then,

We really need something like this! They could definitely do what GW2 does and have a kit players can buy that basically let's them change a character's full physical appearance from their body type to changing heads and changing tatoos and hair. It would probably be pretty expensive (maybe about 900-1500CC), but honestly I would pay that much to change the look of my jedi or trooper beause I've had them since launch and I really want to change their look...

They could definitely do what GW2 does and have a kit players can buy that basically let's them change a character's full physical appearance from their body type to changing heads and changing tatoos and hair.

Oh I like the sound of the tattoos, would be nice if humans could get little markings for their cheeks and body and maybe even the possibility to change the colour of the tattoos. But i'm just being greedy... as long as they finally showcase it as their next update I will be very happy. My entire guild has the same problem as everyone else, they want change or they regret they made their alts bald :D

I don't like the sound of the kit though, paying 1000 cartel coins or any to change your alts looks per alt is money grabbing and wrong. If they want to make more money they can design more features to be added to the character creation screen for your alts appearance.

Yeah I don't know why I can't at least change my hair style.

Games been out a year, you'd figure i'd grow some hair, maybe get a hair cut, who knows. Some basic things, change scars, change hair, etc, help me create levels of submersion in this game please...

Howdy!

That's a great idea, because *cyborg* is not a species. It's quite clearly just a human with implants. For a great period of time on the legacy panel if you clicked on a cyborg character it had even listed the species as human. How about having the guys revisit character creation and making the implants available to some of the other races? A Chiss has no great differences (facially) to the humans, they could have some implant options. Due to the nature of the implant appearances, I imagine they could work on most species, except perhaps the Miraluka (what few would be visible?) or Twi'lek/Sith (head structure).