SERVER TRANSFERS! Seriously why are we still waiting?

Icebergy

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get off this friggin' PvP server I'm stuck on. :( I started playing with people who convinced me to try their server and basically all left a few weeks afterwards. I'm a PvE girl in a PvP world and get ganked all the time..... :rolleyes:

Amen, sister. I'm no stranger to PvP, but frankly I don't want to waste my increasingly limited gaming time dealing with random gankers.

Also, for me it's the combination of no longer wanting to play on a PvP server and not wanting to level an alt on another server because the alt will not benefit from the "Legacy" stuff I have built up on my PvP server. In that way, the "Legacy" system is actually counterproductive in my case (but would be extra-productive if there were paid transfers!).

I don't work at Bioware, but if did I think I would be thinking that a project to add this service would offer a clear path to profitability and would make the most important customers (the kind that want to spend money) happy. I would also think that the SWTOR team is not really in a position to pass up an opportunity like this, considering the product's relatively underwhelming (financial) performance to date (making an assumption there, I don't know the finances).

So, Bioware folks, am I close? Seriously, do you have a CFO? Go ask them to estimate the net present value of the project and compare it to the other projects that are going on. I bet it's a no-brainer. I also bet it wouldn't even delay your other projects much since you already have some or most of the technology required to do this (see: server consolidations). Just finish the job so that what was obviously a HUGE loss (having to consolidate the servers because of the huge drop in player populations) can turn in to a profitable investment.

rawr!

Edited by McLuvin

Amen, sister. I'm no stranger to PvP, but frankly I don't want to waste my increasingly limited gaming time dealing with random gankers.

Also, for me it's the combination of no longer wanting to play on a PvP server and not wanting to level an alt on another server because the alt will not benefit from the "Legacy" stuff I have built up on my PvP server. In that way, the "Legacy" system is actually counterproductive in my case (but would be extra-productive if there were paid transfers!).

I don't work at Bioware, but if did I think I would be thinking that a project to add this service would offer a clear path to profitability and would make the most important customers (the kind that want to spend money) happy. I would also think that the SWTOR team is not really in a position to pass up an opportunity like this, considering the product's relatively underwhelming (financial) performance to date (making an assumption there, I don't know the finances).

So, Bioware folks, am I close? Seriously, do you have a CFO? Go ask them to estimate the net present value of the project and compare it to the other projects that are going on. I bet it's a no-brainer. I also bet it wouldn't even delay your other projects much since you already have some or most of the technology required to do this (see: server consolidations). Just finish the job so that what was obviously a HUGE loss (having to consolidate the servers because of the huge drop in player populations) can turn in to a profitable investment.

rawr!

I hear ya! :(

I agree completely that we should have the ability to transfer our characters. Even if it was a one-time paid transfer. I just want to be able to consolidate my old Thana Vesh (omg, anyone remember that server!?) toons with my Fatman rerolls.

If you are a newer player, here's what happened. Bioware launched the game with a metric tonne of servers. Population dwindled quickly, and somehow the Fatman server became the de facto reroll server, where everyone went to actually play the game with other people. Well, all those Fatman characters are now on Prophecy of the 5, and a lot of us now consider it our main server.

It would be really nice if Bioware would take some responsibility for the situation and allow us to unite our old characters with our new ones.

I agree completely that we should have the ability to transfer our characters. Even if it was a one-time paid transfer. I just want to be able to consolidate my old Thana Vesh (omg, anyone remember that server!?) toons with my Fatman rerolls.

If you are a newer player, here's what happened. Bioware launched the game with a metric tonne of servers. Population dwindled quickly, and somehow the Fatman server became the de facto reroll server, where everyone went to actually play the game with other people. Well, all those Fatman characters are now on Prophecy of the 5, and a lot of us now consider it our main server.

It would be really nice if Bioware would take some responsibility for the situation and allow us to unite our old characters with our new ones.

This is my exact situation except Grand Master Zym instead of Thana Vesh and Jedi Covenant instead of Pot5. Although I rerolled on JC back in March so I didn't reroll on a server that doesn't exist anymore...but all my old GMZ alts are now on Shadowlands and I really want to get them over to JC with my main.

The silence is what is most discouraging about this. I'd like to know if this is something I should keep waiting for, or give it up for now b/c it will be months or something.

Legacy was introduced post-launch, with no indication at launch that you'd be missing the benefits of a major feature if your characters were spread around on different servers. That plus the gigantic (and necessary) server crunch makes server transfers a necessary "make-good" from BW. Put limits on it, make it cost cartel coins or real $$, whatever, but the complete stone-wall doesn't do anyone any good.

The silence is what is most discouraging about this. I'd like to know if this is something I should keep waiting for, or give it up for now b/c it will be months or something.

Legacy was introduced post-launch, with no indication at launch that you'd be missing the benefits of a major feature if your characters were spread around on different servers. That plus the gigantic (and necessary) server crunch makes server transfers a necessary "make-good" from BW. Put limits on it, make it cost cartel coins or real $$, whatever, but the complete stone-wall doesn't do anyone any good.

Yes this is my biggest annoyance too. I want to know what the timetable is, if it is even worth it to continue to wait...should I just reroll my alts instead of waiting...

I will bump this topic as I am waiting for these as well. For me, I have several characters stranded on Begeron Colony that I would liked transferred to Jedi Covenant. Point of the argument for me is I dont want to level a character I already leveled once.

I would be insulted if I had to pay to transfer my Bounty Hunter stuck on a server because my friend who played on that server quit SWTOR.

Well, you are most likely going to have to pay for it. While I think it would go a long way towards making amends for this unfortunate situation if Bioware did offer them for free. Myself and many others are basically standing here with our money in hand trying to shove it at Bioware.

I think they should do something like, one free transfer per month per account. But they will most likely cost cartel coins or at worst, real money.

I like many of you have been waiting for these to be introduced for quite some time...I really don't understand how games like Rift and TSW can have this feature up and running so quickly after launch and SWTOR is still trying to figure out how to make it work...

Obviously Legacy has something to do with it, however I can't imagine it being that big of a hurdle that it's taken as long as it has since they announced the feature was coming to be implemented. Its almost as if they just gave up on it....just like all the bugs they still haven't fixed or the space game that was supposed to be overhauled or the 50 billion planets they were going to add (see where I'm going with this?)...

I doubt server transfers of any kind will happen until the issue of server balance and population have been addressed..

At best, we might get the opportunity to change from a specific server to a specific server in attempt to better the population of both servers.. But paid transfers where people can just move freely, probably won't happen anytime soon.. Just my opinion.. :)

I would like them to add this I think it could be a good source of cash, the player moving would have to rename on any duplicate names and any gear lost in mails or GTN or guild bank would be their own fault. Although what they may be worried about is a lot of people using PvE servers to get to level 50 gear up and then jump to PvP servers. I have seen that before but I guess the fact PvP on ToR is terrible this might be less of a issue here.

I doubt server transfers of any kind will happen until the issue of server balance and population have been addressed..

At best, we might get the opportunity to change from a specific server to a specific server in attempt to better the population of both servers.. But paid transfers where people can just move freely, probably won't happen anytime soon.. Just my opinion.. :)

Then they suffer the consequence of people quitting the game, I just remembered why I quit the game before, no transfers. I'm considering cancelling my sub, idk what to do anymore.

They are idiots if they don't get this in ASAP. They are basically turning down money. We are sitting here begging them to take our money and they aren't doing anything about it. By the time they come out, we won't be interested anymore...maybe in the game altogether.

Then they suffer the consequence of people quitting the game, I just remembered why I quit the game before, no transfers. I'm considering cancelling my sub, idk what to do anymore.

Even more people will quit if the servers are allowed to go to all heck.. F2P has already had some impact on server balance.. Some servers are now imperial heavy.. Server transfers can make this worse..

It can also lead to under populated servers, which would ruin the LFG and PVP queueing system.. Not to mention destroy the crafting market..

I just feel that people need to at least consider the possible consequences of what they are asking for.. That is all I am saying.. :)