The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Wide Datacron Unlocks / Cartel Option

I like the idea, but it sounds a bit too much like pay to win. If you pay the following you get a stat bonus kind of thing, I know you can get all these bonuses by hunting down the datacrons on each character but I can imagine the upset people claiming you can buy stats.

My favorite parallel is the max affection companion buffs that are already legacy wide. The gains from datacrons are marginal for a lvl 50, and since it seems like many would be willing to pay for them, it seems Bioware would benefit from allowing it without causing harm to the overall playing experience or balance.

We want legacy datacrons so we don't have to repeat a part of the game that nobody likes. Period.

I can agree that some datacrons are big pain to aquire (and the balloon isn't one of them, except on the rare occasion it decides to reset itself)

However, I still believe the solution is NOT to make them Legacy-wide, but instead, fix those datacrons that are too frustrating because of things outside the players' control.

-The balloon shouldn't decide to disappear mid air (I gladly never experienced that one)

-Jumps that have too narrow a margin of error, causing you to fall down just because a jump registers late (or not at all!) during a laggy moment, forcing you to start all the way from scratch should be slightly simplified.

But seriously, asking to give you some stats for free? Is it THAT hard to walk through a tunnel for 2 minutes and kill some cubs to grab a +2 to some stat? And that ventilation thing on Taris.. I see people call out in chat all the time that they're headed that way, inviting others to get a free jump as well.

And let's not forget about the datacrons on Dromund Kaas: you can literaly walk up to all of them except for one, which requires you to drop down on some beam and then make a jump you simply can't miss.

Of all the datacrons in game maybe 6 or 7 can get really frustrating because they require very minute jumping, and another 2 or 3 can be quite glitchy, causing frustration as well. So write down what the problem is with those, and ask for those frustrating datacrons to be somewhat eased down.

But you know what? Except for the balloon disappearing and the fleet cron glitching, I've never seen people ask for them to be changed in any way. Just a lot of begging about making them legacy wide eversince we have Legacy. Is walking around a wall right in front of the shuttle on your starter planet really THAT difficult or timeconsuming? Most datacrons can be picked up within 5 minutes while questing in their area. And that's a really simple fact.

Edited by AsheraII

I like the idea. The idea doesn't say you never go out and find them, you just don't have to go out and find them on every character.

You have to find it once on one character before it unlocks for the legacy.

They can have it be a perk you have to purchase either for the full legacy or per character. Can also have it be unlocked via CC.

And it still keeps people able to just obtain them free in game.

However, I think I'd leave the +10 Datacron out of this perk.

We want legacy datacrons so we don't have to repeat a part of the game that nobody likes. Period.

Man, gotta love people that make things up and the state them as if they were facts.

Not only do I love getting Datacrons I also enjoy helping other players get them cuz it's a great way to meet new people and pay it forward.

Edited by PetFish

Man, gotta love people that make things up and the state them as if they were facts.

Not only do I love getting Datacrons I also enjoy helping other players get them cuz it's a great way to meet new people and pay it forward.

Man, gotta love people who know exactly what someone means by that statement and yet still act like they meant it literally.

I wouldn't even mind if they gated access based on level on the legacy. Something like this:

+2 stat datacrons: Requires character level 25, legacy level 6

+3 stat datacrons: Requires character level 35, legacy level 8

+4 stat datacrons: Requires character level 45, legacy level 10

If you wanted to go out and hunt them yourself, you could bypass the legacy level unlock.

Granted, I would overwhelmingly prefer if there was no such level gating but if it's a necessary evil to get this done then I'm in.

Edited by CharlieBrown

• 1 month later...
I'm all for this, but I have a suggestion to your idea. Instead of purchasing datacron by datacron (imagine the horrors of seeing this in the legacy window), it should work exactly like the HK unlock. Have 1 empire character find ALL 67 datacrons. This would enable the 'unlock datacrons' for all EMPIRE characters. Then if you wanted them on your republic characters, you would need to collect all 67 on a REPUBLIC character to enable the 'unlock datacrons' for all REPUBLIC characters. Its still a per character option, so there would be plenty of spending and given the new 2.0 achievement system, there is a valid way to detect if all the datacrons were gathered (not sure if its designated to a single character, but I'm sure you can just check codex). This adds a bit more difficulty to get it (unlocking HK takes some good time) and less development (increased priority of QoL task if easier to implement).

I'm all for this, but I have a suggestion to your idea. Instead of purchasing datacron by datacron (imagine the horrors of seeing this in the legacy window), it should work exactly like the HK unlock. Have 1 empire character find ALL 67 datacrons. This would enable the 'unlock datacrons' for all EMPIRE characters. Then if you wanted them on your republic characters, you would need to collect all 67 on a REPUBLIC character to enable the 'unlock datacrons' for all REPUBLIC characters. Its still a per character option, so there would be plenty of spending and given the new 2.0 achievement system, there is a valid way to detect if all the datacrons were gathered (not sure if its designated to a single character, but I'm sure you can just check codex). This adds a bit more difficulty to get it (unlocking HK takes some good time) and less development (increased priority of QoL task if easier to implement).

This.

I think purchasing DataCron Legacy unlocks is a great idea. A boost to all stats may be a bit much at the lower levels. One thought is to make the unlocks level based, like speeder unlocks. Of course you would have to have already found them on one toon already to gain the stat boost. :jawa_biggrin:

• 1 year later...