The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advance Class change

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still a class change, you just have the same story. Guardians and Sentinels are 2 totally different classes. They both play totally different, have different talents and abilities, they even use different armor/offhands. Sage/Shadow are 2 totally different classes. they both use the same armor, but they use different weapons and perform 100% differently in combat 1 being ranged dps/heals the other being melee dps/tank. Making a change like this IS changing your class regardless of story.

So? Its not like they are trying to change from a Sin to a Sniper. I really don't see how allowing someone to change their class once or even make it a large cool down of say a month to pull a number out of the air, is a huge game breaking thing. It doesn't really affect anyone else if you decide to change from a Jugg to a Mara.

This is a great idea, me and my friend will buy it =]

It's ok to level another alt character to enjoy another story. However, leveling another advanced class is very boring, because you already know the story, you will get same quests, same ship, same companions, same wife etc.

I wish to notice 2 moments:

1. It should be not usable in any pvp area, for balance reason. For example make it usable in fleets only =]

2. It should cost much, arround 5000 cartel coins.

Edited by Errthu

So? Its not like they are trying to change from a Sin to a Sniper. I really don't see how allowing someone to change their class once or even make it a large cool down of say a month to pull a number out of the air, is a huge game breaking thing. It doesn't really affect anyone else if you decide to change from a Jugg to a Mara.

This was a stupid idea when Star Wars Galaxies had it. It's a stupid idea now. What? Don't like gun slinger? Wll the Shadow is the popular class this month! Oh, now the Guardian is!

People will constantly abuse such a system to change to flavour of the month classes. (Keep in mind these are imagined by players and dont actually exist :p)

You have a max of 22 character slots per server. Don't like your class? Roll a new character.

don't agree for this reason: it encourages FOTM, which I hate in all MMOs

I'd rather them institute a mechanic that at a certain level, say 35 or 41, you can make a one time change at some high cost. Then you can avoid full buyers remorse, but not feel stuck with what might have been a naive choice when you first started the game.

This was a stupid idea when Star Wars Galaxies had it. It's a stupid idea now. What? Don't like gun slinger? Wll the Shadow is the popular class this month! Oh, now the Guardian is!

People will constantly abuse such a system to change to flavour of the month classes. (Keep in mind these are imagined by players and dont actually exist :p)

You have a max of 22 character slots per server. Don't like your class? Roll a new character.

Again you seemed to have glossed over not only the OP but ALSO MYSELF saying not changing from say a Sage to a Vanguard but rather within the same base class. And again its not exactly game breaking to decide "hey I don't really like the Sorc AC I think I might be better suited as a Sin". One of my first toons I started waaaay back in early start was a Sniper and I ran her to 25 before deciding I liked the Operative better. I would've loved to not lose everything to switch over to an Operative with her which is exactly what happened. So I had to make my way back to 25 and eventually on to 50 with my Op.

Also, who really cares if some only wants to change their AC to the complimentary AC within the same base class because its the FOTM? If they decide to change and don't have the gear for it then that's their problem not mine yours or anyone else's. And yes I know we can have up to 22 slits but quite frankly I don't feel like buying that many. But a once off AC change, if I feel is what I need, then I will buy it.in this case more choices is the answer not less.

Again you seemed to have glossed over not only the OP but ALSO MYSELF saying not changing from say a Sage to a Vanguard but rather within the same base class. And again its not exactly game breaking to decide "hey I don't really like the Sorc AC I think I might be better suited as a Sin". One of my first toons I started waaaay back in early start was a Sniper and I ran her to 25 before deciding I liked the Operative better. I would've loved to not lose everything to switch over to an Operative with her which is exactly what happened. So I had to make my way back to 25 and eventually on to 50 with my Op.

Vanguard to Guardian sounds like a great idea! Sign me up. /sarcasm.

There is no difference from going from a Sage to a Shadow or a Sage to a Guardian. They are different classes and should be kept that way.

When i first started playing i rolled a Vanguard with the intention of tanking. I got to 42 and found out i'd enjoy the game more as a healer. So i deleted that character and rolled a commando. Leveled to 50 and is now on the gear treadmill. Now that the game has 22 slots per server, i've gone back and am leveling a new Vanguard from scratch. That's how you handle being disatified with your class.

If the AC stories were different, then yes -- this would be like proposing a straight-up class change; you would be side-stepping a completely separate experience. But that's not how it works right now.

I'd like to point out that the way the original developers saw the design of the classes pre/early launch was as follows:

Character Creation is where the player selected their archetype (Knight, Inquisitor, etc.)

Level 10 is when the player actually chose their class and are told at least 3 times that this decision will be final

With so many of the original devs not around anymore, Damion being the only one I know of, I can't really say whether or not this is still how ACs are being seen.

This is so true. If there was a class change people would just use the class change to switch to whatever is the fotm of spec. No, you need to reroll if you want to play the current fotm class.

But they share whole skill tree!! Totally. Yeah. :rolleyes:

Actually, they don't.

Initially, they indeed planned to give the two one shared skilltree. But it didn't work out that well, so each Advanced Class got its own variation of the once shared tree instead. Just look at the shared Balance tree between Shadow and Sage. On the very first tier, there is a skill on both trees that you MUST spend at least 1 point (most people put 3 points into it) on to reach the second tier. Sages get Empowered Throw, while Shadows get Force Synergy. Right, they get they share a whole skill tree, totally!!! :rolleyes:

And variations like that are sprinkled throughout the "shared" tree for all classes.

But, it goes a bit further than that.

Even if the two had identical trees, which they don't, but IF..

Then the trees would work out totally different between the two advanced classes, simply because they synergize differently with advanced class specific abilities and rotation, and because the whole playstyle of the two advanced classes is still radically different.

You can spec balance and play ranged on your Shadow, but it'll be bad! Just as you can spec Balance on your Sage and use melee abilities instead, but it'll be bad!

Allow to change class once a month. Every six month. Or year.... What's the problem, I really do not understand.

Guildleader to Gunslinger: "Sorry, we're short on healers. So switch your AC to Scoundrel, or we'll kick you and attract someone else to heal".

Nonsense? Plenty of you all come from WoW, and I've seen guildleaders there make the exact same demand to Boomkins and other classes, just depending on what the shortage for that week happened to be.

And this goes a bit further even. You're opening up the demand to respec a Warlock into a Druid Tank.

Vanguard to Guardian sounds like a great idea! Sign me up. /sarcasm.

There is no difference from going from a Sage to a Shadow or a Sage to a Guardian. They are different classes and should be kept that way.

When i first started playing i rolled a Vanguard with the intention of tanking. I got to 42 and found out i'd enjoy the game more as a healer. So i deleted that character and rolled a commando. Leveled to 50 and is now on the gear treadmill. Now that the game has 22 slots per server, i've gone back and am leveling a new Vanguard from scratch. That's how you handle being disatified with your class.

There absolutely is a difference, just because you are too deft to realize that is not my problem. Please do not the they are Advanced Classes coming from the same base class where as Sage to Guardian is from a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT base class. Both the Sage and Shadow start off as the same thing and then at level 10 they go into a specialized direction but the base class is still the same. It doesn't matter if they play differently or not, the BASE CLASS is the same.

And correction that is how YOU would handle it. Sorry but you play as you want and if the AC change is available to me then I will play as I want. My deciding to change my AC does not affect you at all.

Guildleader to Gunslinger: "Sorry, we're short on healers. So switch your AC to Scoundrel, or we'll kick you and attract someone else to heal".

Nonsense? Plenty of you all come from WoW, and I've seen guildleaders there make the exact same demand to Boomkins and other classes, just depending on what the shortage for that week happened to be.

And this goes a bit further even. You're opening up the demand to respec a Warlock into a Druid Tank.

Then that would seem to me to be a guild you wouldn't want to be associated with. God forbid someone have the ability to change and tell someone, DEMANDING that you change your AC, to get bent.

I'll admit, I would like this to be added, and had been under the impression it was being considered in a way that would be extremely costly, but at the same time I'm hesitant on how it should be restricted or how much it should cost, especially with real money given that might make people consider power-leveling scams.

I think it should not be a pure cartel coin unlock. At the very least you should have to buy all the skills the new class.

For those who switched advanced classes to something that can tank or heal they should have group-finder lock them out of the class's non-DPS roles until some requirement is met. If nothing specific is implemented as a training for roles, which I feel is somewhat needed as is for 50s before entering a HM-FP or SM-Operation via group-finder, then ideally leave this as an undroppable quest which as a byproduct would allow operation group leaders to check if someone has switched advanced class recently, assuming some marker isn't placed on the character page.

I'll mention that there are people out there who don't know how to play the advanced class they've had since 50. Given the ease of even HM flashpoints for someone who has no idea what they're doing to be carried through when others are geared enough. But anyway while this could make it worse with that type of player showing up more often because they're learning a new class there is the fact that there are people who don't know how to play the role of their class anyway. (I'd assume others have already seen those oddball healers in tank gear and vice-versa)

As for the FotM issue, well it is an issue as things are, there will be people who go out of their way to find and run the FotM, be they good at it or bad at it. Class, and advanced class balance keeps changing since this is an MMO, and with RotHC coming 'soon' in theory the game is going to have a massive change to class balance, for better or worse.

I'm sorry, sorc DPS is crap? Surely you jest. My sage does rather good dps in ops and pvp.

Again, not knowing how to play a class does not make a good reason to allow class changes.

Okay.. let me clarify. DPS difference between SORC/SAGE and other classes make it a less used DPS class (IMHO) and even more so for PVP. Let me think.. do I bring my Mara to TFB HM or my SORC DPS.. Gee.. I wonder which one will get an invite first? :)

Crap might have been too strong of a word, but I'm certainly not going to continue to level my toon that is walking into a nerf from back in the 1.2 days that is still in effect today. I would KEEP my current SORC DPS (He is my MAIN and favorite toon), but won't level another one. Moving my 25+ guy from SORC to ASSASSIN would be great (Doubt it will happen, but it's a SUGGESTION BOARD)

I'd love to move my MERC to a PT Tank instead as well. See the theme here? My JUGG Tank is less than fun to play and I'd like to have the same great features of the PT and Assassin Tank added to JUGG's. I agree with a one time change as well.

Edited by dscount

A Guild leader that does that does not deserve to be a guild leader and it is a guild no one should be associated with. Telling someone what to play is above and beyond what a guild is for. If I had a guild member that did that to my members that is an automatic kick out of the guild.

My deciding to change my AC does not affect you at all.

It affects me when I get stuck in a group with you and you don't know how to tank with your shadow because you just switched him from a sage.

TECHNICALLY they are the same class in that they share a couple abilities and have the same story. What we are talking about is changing your playstyle and class mechanics. Such a drastic change in play mechanics would be changing your class.