The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Are there any characters to which this thread applies, other than Lana and Theran, that one Czerka woman, and that one Sith lord whose name now escapes me?

Cytharat, that's the Sith lord whose name escaped you.

And Lemda Avesta, the bisexual female LI from the Republic side of RotHC, whom you completely forgot.

As another poster also replying to you said, we're hopeful that these won't be the only ones forever.

(I'm not hopeful that any of the existing companions will be opened up to SGRs, but they do have an opportunity to introduce new companions who are.)

Edited by Zandilar

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nonsense. Content cannot be equal if one of the options DOESN'T HAVE CONTENT.

Content (in this case) = exclusive level where you visit grave of dead waifu, exclusive storyline of the waifu's brother reaching out to PC after death of his sister, exclusive cutscenes where NPCs discuss dead waifu etc

No cutscenes, no exclusive levels, no exclusive anything that carries the story of a dead waifu and is comparable in size to continued romance the other option has = no content.

Personal headcanon is not content. Either both options have equally long storyline (even if it's different storyline) with equal amount of resources that went into producing diverging paths or not, simple. If there isn't, then it's just making up excuses about 'experience' that removes 1 romance while conitnuing content creation for another.

Those who have dead LI get those scenes and those who have living LIs get visits from other family members or FTB scenes :p All stays equal with content, those who have dead LI can then either move on or not, if not their own fault for no new LI content.

I remember the threads, but notice how all those who complained kept playing the game. They didn't leave because of it.

There's a difference between "I'm just fine with it," and "This really irritates me, but I put up with it because there are enough other things here that I enjoy."

Returning to this kind of disparity by having only certain gender/class combinations lose a romance interest with no control over the outcome and no real benefit to balance it out strikes me as a poor move, were BioWare to actually implement it.

There's enough outcry over Lana's being advertised and plastered all over the new expansion's marketing materials while Theron Shan is still conspicuously absent (at least for the moment). A number of people remain irate over

losing Jaxo (in the end, she's gone no matter what option you choose)

- and she's not even a companion.

Those who have dead LI get those scenes and those who have living LIs get visits from other family members or FTB scenes :p All stays equal with content, those who have dead LI can then either move on or not, if not their own fault for no new LI content.

No content for dead waifu scenario = no developement time and resources went into option B = it's not equal = etc.

Edited by Pietrastor

There's a difference between "I'm just fine with it," and "This really irritates me, but I put up with it because there are enough other things here that I enjoy."

Returning to this kind of disparity by having only certain gender/class combinations lose a romance interest with no control over the outcome and no real benefit to balance it out strikes me as a poor move, were BioWare to actually implement it.

There's enough outcry over Lana's being advertised and plastered all over the new expansion's marketing materials while Theron Shan is still conspicuously absent (at least for the moment). A number of people remain irate over

losing Jaxo (in the end, she's gone no matter what option you choose)

- and she's not even a companion.

We have no control over anything in the game. :p Oh hey! Kaliyo betrayed me! Well, keep her part of the crew. Gault bribed me to keep him alive and part of the crew. Guess I'll take him up on that offer.

Part of getting new and exciting storylines and getting choices means having to make choices like in how to deal with losing a companion through story. :p It just doesn't mean do it to all class combos or it's just dull. People already don't care for the one story fits all, and the idea of a story idea that wouldn't be one story for all and you go back to "I want one story with no real difference with no real choice" :p

• 2 weeks later...

They threw it out there as part of the State of the Game blog Hickman used to do, a couple of months before RotHC came out.

We're a fortnight or so out from KotFE, and no word... I don't know, interpret how you see fit.

I wouldn't say the lack of SGR info means there's no SGR.

They've been extremely reticent with talking about KOTFE at all, let alone something that is social/narrative instead of mechanical.

I think a better question would be "how much hype did they try to generate over playersexual Theron/Lana?"

I think a better question would be "how much hype did they try to generate over playersexual Theron/Lana?"

None as I recall. I think it was just "Oh btw you can flirt with these characters regardless of gender."

As it is, I really hope we have more options than just Lana and Theron in KOTFE given that in all the streams Lana's been full-bore DS.

I could understand SSR taking this amount of time due to them trying to wrap their heads around the mess of story that they have, but that works only if you don't consider the amount of related content that they have released in the same timespan. I do not care if we get SSR, but it seems a bit odd that they keep dancing around it and dipping their toes in the water while making considerable advances in OSR content.

They could do it. I don't know why they don't.

None as I recall. I think it was just "Oh btw you can flirt with these characters regardless of gender."

As it is, I really hope we have more options than just Lana and Theron in KOTFE given that in all the streams Lana's been full-bore DS.

In her defense, she was probably borderline already by sheer virtue of living within the Empire and surviving as long as she has. Seeing everything she's ever loved crumble around her in the very early KOTFE might be a breaking point.

But as for answering my question, it seems obvious there'll be SGR content in KOTFE; the question then is... will it be only Lana and Theron (again)?

I could understand SSR taking this amount of time due to them trying to wrap their heads around the mess of story that they have, but that works only if you don't consider the amount of related content that they have released in the same timespan. I do not care if we get SSR, but it seems a bit odd that they keep dancing around it and dipping their toes in the water while making considerable advances in OSR content.

They could do it. I don't know why they don't.

You don't care if we get SSR? o.O We already have SSR.

While I look forward greatly to finally getting the SGR they promised from the get go... I really hope you can romance other SS companions, like Ashara or Jaesa and others, because if I want to be a female romancing another female, and my options EVERY time is just Lana... well that is going to get boring really really fast...

And really be an overall incredible disappointment for a story centric expac...

While I look forward greatly to finally getting the SGR they promised from the get go... I really hope you can romance other SS companions, like Ashara or Jaesa and others, because if I want to be a female romancing another female, and my options EVERY time is just Lana... well that is going to get boring really really fast...

And really be an overall incredible disappointment for a story centric expac...

Or rather, just typical of the one story fits all narrative.

After all most classes just had once romance option to begin with. Smuggler had Corso, that was it. If they kept things within the classes, who knows, maybe never would have had another option.

Now you have Corso and whoever else they allow for companions.

Or rather, just typical of the one story fits all narrative.

After all most classes just had once romance option to begin with. Smuggler had Corso, that was it. If they kept things within the classes, who knows, maybe never would have had another option.

Now you have Corso and whoever else they allow for companions.

Well I didn't do any of the romance options because I was waiting for SGR... after this many years, it will be nice to be able to still have it. Though disappointing if limited to just 1 character, you can sugar coat it all you want. It's my opnion, and I won't change it

Well I didn't do any of the romance options because I was waiting for SGR... after this many years, it will be nice to be able to still have it. Though disappointing if limited to just 1 character, you can sugar coat it all you want. It's my opnion, and I won't change it

And that's why BW was never going to do it. They knew this was going to happen. :p "I know we got it, but I want options! You know the thing no one got before!" :p

Which just leads to more voice work which leads to more characters to write for and adapt to the story.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Straight players definitely got options before, they were just spread across the character classes - that's not a great situation, but it's understandable when all eight story paths had their own content. It's ridiculous to compare one romance option for each character class with one romance option for the entire game.

In any case, Lana and Theron are both available for all genders, and we'll probably have the romances from pre-50 coming back, so OGR fans will, most likely, have options now.

Edited by Foelhe

You're comparing apples and oranges. Straight players definitely got options before, they were just spread across the character classes - that's not a great situation, but it's understandable when all eight story paths had their own content. It's ridiculous to compare one romance option for each character class with one romance option for the entire game.

In any case, Lana and Theron are both available for all genders, and we'll probably have the romances from pre-50 coming back, so OGR fans will, most likely, have options now.

Smuggler had one option if female, two if male. Consular's had one option. What does straight players have to do with it? You don't think straight players don't have the SSR going on with Theron and Lana? What does a players orientation have to do with anything? The characters had 1 option (generally) before, now it'll be 1 or 2 again (maybe three for some).

You are completely missing the point, loethe the has the right if it, you are making invalid comparisons. For straight romance yes there may only be 1 for each class but there are EIGHT classes to play. Romancing vette is not the same as romancing Jaesa, is not the same as, etc etc

Romancing Lana is the same as romancing Lana...

Smuggler had one option if female, two if male. Consular's had one option. What does straight players have to do with it? You don't think straight players don't have the SSR going on with Theron and Lana? What does a players orientation have to do with anything? The characters had 1 option (generally) before, now it'll be 1 or 2 again (maybe three for some).

*shrugs* OGRA fans, if you want to be pedantic. If a player specifically wanted to play a straight guy (and a lot of gamers do) and they didn't enjoy the Consular's romance with Nadia, they could easily switch to Knight and go for Kira. If they liked the way Consular plays, they could switch to Inquisitor, which is pretty similar, and go for Ashara. If they're only going to play Consular no matter what, then yeah, they're stuck with Nadia. And again, that's not a great situation, but if you're turning down that many choices to start with then you kind of have to expect to have your options limited.

I'm happy to play whatever classes are available, because I like variety. But if I want to play a gay guy, and Theron's my only option, then there really isn't any variety anymore. It doesn't matter if I'm willing to change every other aspect of the character, that one choice means I get one option. That's way too limiting for an MMO, particularly one that prides itself on story.

There's still Senya, Koth, Nico, Vailyn as posible secondary options through Season 1

I doubt somehow that Vaylin will be romanceable. That would be like being able to romance Darth Baras as a Warrior.

Not to mention who knows what NPCs and other companions haven't been revealed yet? It's entirely possible romances this time around won't even necessarily have to be with companions (eg. SOR-era Lana/Theron).