Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, that's a problem that will never go away. It's best to just make peace with it, I've basically done that myself. KotOR 3 is a dead dream. T.T

So, reading up on past pages it looks like not much has changed on this front while I've been gone. That's a shame.

Story's no longer important in a story based game, based on games where story is paramount, in a universe that is entirely made up of stories that need to be told.

If I didn't roll my eyes and spit all over the idea, I'd be crying.

I kinda hope Kotor 3 doesn't happen - with what the writers did to Revan and the Exile, that would be a pretty depressing game.

I disagree. True, the Revan/Exile things were depressing, but it doesn't necessarily need to happen again, and if a better team does it, the whole TOR thing could be redeemed. Dragon Age looks to be making it past the issues DA2 gave it, for instance.

I disagree. True, the Revan/Exile things were depressing, but it doesn't necessarily need to happen again, and if a better team does it, the whole TOR thing could be redeemed. Dragon Age looks to be making it past the issues DA2 gave it, for instance.

I mean with the main characters and Council dead - unless there's a third amnesiac Jedi outcast running around who survived the purge, they'd have to retcon their retcon.

Edited by Palar

I mean with the main characters and Council dead - unless there's a third amnesiac Jedi outcast running around who survived the purge, they'd have to retcon their retcon.

TOR is an MMO, does it even qualify as canon? If it is canon, then I don't think it will be for a long time.

Lucas Arts has no problem changing the status of canon anyway, they moved an entire book series out of canon because the CGI Cartoon Network stuff was more profitable for them, even when the quality of it is terrible.

Game storylines are C-canon unless explicitly stated to be otherwise or modified by a print collection. In all games before SWTOR, major plot decisions were all 'light side' choices.

SWTOR's in a somewhat odd spot vis-a-vis canon because there's a lot of material surrounding it - a lot of which contradicts previously established canon (and perfectly good previously established canon, I might add, not garbage like the Marvel Star Wars comics) - and a lot of choices to make in all aspects of all the stories. As yet, there are no canon versions of any decisions taken by any of the characters in SWTOR.

Eventually, when the game's storyline is finished, SWTOR will be integrated into canon in a coherent way. Until then, there's nothing definitive. Technically, I don't even think that we know whether some of the tie-in novels - specifically Fatal Alliance and Annihilation - have a concrete canon status.

I am following this some what loosely but will say not making ANY character until its put in don't see the point in missing the parts of story arcs I want to see and in both ways honestly :D

(ok I will make a Female trooper because Aric is a hunk :o )

And Was wondering why don't just take out the gender check? and wala fixed!

don't think anyone who really wants this in game cares about a few typos his/her boy/girl

or mis speaks one way or another I am shure any thing caused by this is easily over looked

but id rather have that then be forced to play a race ,class,or character i don't want to

im shure there is a lot more to it then just removing the gender check but what would be wrong if you did?

Pretty much all of the romances are cis-sexist/centric, in as much as they believe that the partner of a male companion or male character is either a cis-woman or has a fully functioning uterus and the desire to use it to make children (with the exceptions of species where they can't biologically have children, in the case of Aric being too far from the human genome.)

Also, do you really want Corso's delicate-lady bollocks when you're a maleSmug? Also, the actual animation will be off, as almost universally the male bodies are taller than the female. Kaliyo will be looking up at your Lady Agent who's actually the same height as her, vice-versa for Torian.

It won't work on both a mechanical and social level and it will be painfully obvious to players that a) SGRAs where never designed for the game and b) Bioware: Austin literally doesn't give enough of a **** to even try to do it properly. Which might even be more insulting to players than this current situation of DEAFENING SILENCE NOT SO SUBTLE HINT we have at the moment, particularly after we have WAITED SO LONG, NOT SO SUBTLE HINT AGAIN.

MR. MUSCO. HI. HINT HINT. I MAY WANT SOME INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT.

I don't think they'd want Silent Protagonist Sydrome for those conversations, if they just removed the gender-check, so it would still require getting certain VAs back to replace dialogue. (Unless Doc has no problem being called 'Kira', maybe he's into that?) Edited by Palar

TOR is an MMO, does it even qualify as canon? If it is canon, then I don't think it will be for a long time.

Lucas Arts has no problem changing the status of canon anyway, they moved an entire book series out of canon because the CGI Cartoon Network stuff was more profitable for them, even when the quality of it is terrible.

Based on the fact that much of the game has already made it into reference material such as the Essential Guide to Warfare, the Essential Atlas, Book of Sith and references made to the Empire in Darth Plaguis and other recent books, the game is definitely canon. Individual choices and such obviously are questionable, but that's the same for Kotor 1 and 2.

I can understand i guess delaying the same gender romancing for the last year and a half, and then some getting up to almost 2 years in some regards. I understand this as IF they do them correctly it could be fairly complicated. I mean they would have tot ake into account comp/comp interactions. The only two classes that I am aware of, off the top of my head that have this currently are the Sith Warrior with DS Jaesa/Vette (possibly if you romance Quinn/Pierce, not sure about this havent tried), and the Smuggler with Akaavi/Risha. If you do romances for both females in both cases this brings about a cut scene with interaction between the two npcs.

If they do SGR correctly, and allow Gay/Lesbian/Bi relationships, there is potential for alot more companion cross over. i mean okay what if i made a female trooper who had lesbian relations with Elara, while romancing Jorgan, and so on, Vette/Quin, DS Jaesa/Pierce, and any coimbination their off potentially has a confrontation or scene that needs played out. Some Comps may aprove of sharing you while others will not, as is already shown in current content.

Of course on the other side the other lack of communication makes me think this will most likley never actually happen :( .... The truth is that they dont seam to care as much as they should, especially after announcing them to be in at release, and then changing them to be patched in later. Now almsot 2 years later and still nothing they wont even discuss it. I can understand they are having some issues, and i can understand that its taking longer then they want. So hey we can't give a release date, alright. However they could offer something to the player base to show hey we are still trying and yes we are working on it.

Say for example a list of who is and isnt available for SGR, Just say as is we plan to have these characters straight, these characters Bi, and possibly these characters gay/lesbian if they do this. This is of course subject to change in the futur. That would be nice but for whatever reason that appears to be to much for them which is why i am starting to doubt this is ever going to happen :mad:

Edited by Walkeir

Pretty much all of the romances are cis-sexist/centric, in as much as they believe that the partner of a male companion or male character is either a cis-woman or has a fully functioning uterus and the desire to use it to make children (with the exceptions of species where they can't biologically have children, in the case of Aric being too far from the human genome.)

On a related note, and I thought you especially would like this, Tatile... :D

On a related note, and I thought you especially would like this, Tatile... :D

Oh wow, I love that! I don't have a problem with the "bad" term it talks about myself (and it does apply to me on all three levels), but I still love the analogy because I see the truth in it (which is also probably why I don't have a problem with the "bad" term being applied to me)

After actually getting Ashara... her introduction was so awful that not only am I probably giving up on her, I may well give up on the entire Empire. It's gotten depressing anyway.

I was going to warn you, but I didn't want to crush what little hope you had left.

*pats*

Honestly, if you're here for the story, you might as well leave after finishing Chapter 3, Bioware have no intention of including more story content that's in any way class or companion specific.

I was going to warn you, but I didn't want to crush what little hope you had left.

*pats*

Honestly, if you're here for the story, you might as well leave after finishing Chapter 3, Bioware have no intention of including more story content that's in any way class or companion specific.

Maybe it makes more sense if you play dark side and basically force her to come along with you, but in my light side playthrough, where everyone made above-board deals and the Jedi Masters seemed to actually approve of Ashara's actions (saying she was right to tell them)... then they make negotiations break down and try to kill me, I bind the ghost... and suddenly she's saying she can never return to the Jedi Order? In what universe does that make sense? Maybe if I was playing some kind of neutral outlaw or something and if her reaction had been played better, but a Sith who's currently in the process of trying to destroy Taris? Fighting the Republic and Jedi? This... could have been really interesting but managed to be amazingly botched. On several levels.

Are the Consular companions this bad? Both Qyzen Fess and Tharan Cedrax have been good thus far... though I find that as a Sorcerer/Sage, I find it rather hard to play with anyone aside from the tank.

No idea, haven't played Consular (voice acting... meh), but Nadia seems to get a good reception. She seems like your typical Padawan, from what I've seen to the youtube videos (I did avoid the romance ones, because I did not need to listen to some creeper making comments the entire time :rolleyes:)

No idea, haven't played Consular (voice acting... meh), but Nadia seems to get a good reception. She seems like your typical Padawan, from what I've seen to the youtube videos (I did avoid the romance ones, because I did not need to listen to some creeper making comments the entire time :rolleyes:)

The voice acting is... well, yes, rather meh, which is why Knight also attracts me to some extent, but I didn't take to Kira Carsen gigantically well... maybe I just haven't learned to use her well? Either that or my gaydar came up with flagrantly nothing for her, somehow. Maybe I need to play with her more.

The female Knight VA is a lot better than the Consular, imo. It's one of my favorites actually. I wouldn't worry about Kira not 'pinging gaydars'....I don't see why it matters considering that they will never add in companion romance. Unless you are talking about headcanon and being unable to do it. I surely have no issues adding in a F!Knight/Kira headcanon romance though :p

Maybe it makes more sense if you play dark side and basically force her to come along with you, but in my light side playthrough, where everyone made above-board deals and the Jedi Masters seemed to actually approve of Ashara's actions (saying she was right to tell them)... then they make negotiations break down and try to kill me, I bind the ghost... and suddenly she's saying she can never return to the Jedi Order?

One in which she really doesn't want to go back to the Jedi Order. Of course we know that she can go back (they'll accept former sith lords into their happy little club).

One in which she really doesn't want to go back to the Jedi Order. Of course we know that she can go back (they'll accept former sith lords into their happy little club).

Which... would be fine if she ever gave any indication that she was so unhappy with the Jedi Order that she'd be willing to help kill them and other people of the Republic.

Which... would be fine if she ever gave any indication that she was so unhappy with the Jedi Order that she'd be willing to help kill them and other people of the Republic.

It's hard to say at that point.

You only get to see a few holo-recordings of her training sessions (and she definitely doesn't seem like the model Jedi student...she's proud...arrogant even).