I find myself RPing more in SWTOR

Lium

I'm not a big RP'er. In fact, I've never done it. I mean, I always engage in a bit of internal RP. Meaning I have my character's general story in my head. But beyond that, I always play on regular PvP servers. Actually typing and talking in-character is not my thing. I have zero problems with it but it's just not my thing.

However, in this game, though I still don't roleplay with others, I have this elaborate backstory written up for each of the characters I'm leveling.

Jedi Sentinel

This is my main character and the hero of my story. She was also my first 50. Through her, the SWTOR experience is manifest. She kind of took on a life of her own. She started off on Tython a bit of a hothead, choosing snarky dialogue responses and often walking a neutral path. But as she gained in levels and the story progressed, she began to grow up, feeling the weight of her responsibilities on her shoulders. By the time she was 50, she was a full on paragon of virtue and justice and Satele Shan's right hand woman.

Sith Sorcerer

My new main and the next character that will reach 50. She is the daughter of my Marauder and originally was going to be leveled after that said Marauder who I had envisioned as my Sentinel's arch rival. But I found sorcs to be so damn fun that I just stuck with her as my second max level toon. The Sorcerer is a true neutral but makes far more LS decisions than DS ones, because she views the Empire's current path to be unsustainable and childish. She would represent what Darth Malgus calls the more progressive wing of the order and is a proud Revanite. Believing that true Sith know both love and hate. Her actions reflect this thinking as well as her sound strategic mind.

I won't bore you with all the other character write-ups, but they are just as detailed as the above two. And that's largely because of BioWare's writing and the class stories. Anyone else find themselves doing this in SWTOR?

I had something similar when I was leveling my operative a year ago. Pre-launch, I imagined the character as a staunch Imperial loyalist determined to do good in the Empire. Somebody who really believed in the cause. As anybody who has played the IA story can attest to, this was challenged a lot along the way, and my view of the character and its motivations is no longer the same.

I'm truly happy for you, pal. RPing your own characters is certainly the BEST way to enjoy SWTOR. In fact, it was my first character ( a sentinel) that made me play the other 7 classes with their own stories in my mind.

Btw, I'm really grateful for your post, I was feeling quite a bit of burnout from this game, though your post reminded how awesome is to RPing our characters.

No wonder this is my first MMO in which I lasted a whole year playing it!:D

I had a similar experience. Never RPed before, as such, and I am on a PvE server. A year into this game, I have some 400 pages worth of character stories... It was such an unexpected and pleasant bonus to come out of a game. I mean, I was in it for raiding and maybe some missions, initially!

Side note about me. In 2002 I was burned out from japanese RPG's and I was wondering where the future of the genre was going. Bethesda released Morrowind and BW released KOTOR, and I thought that this kind of RPG's will be the future. Emergent gameplay was thr future of RPG's to me. Now look at the genre, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls and Fallout are some of the best stuff we get.

I always RP in my head too because it is a RPG. I do not get people who do not, everyone has an imagnation; breathe life into your characters and the game is more fun.

Smuggler: My main, is in her mid 30's and is using the war as a way to make profit. She hates the Empire but tried to stay neutral for profit until she seen the horrors that the Empire commits. Her and her Bounty Hunter sister had adopted a force sensitive kid but he was taken by the Empire. She likes to joke around and have fun but hates cruelty.

Bounty Hunter: Left her sister to earn a living as a Bounty Hunter. Does not share the same attitude towards the Empire as her sister. Willing to take any job to earn some credits and capable of being ruthless.

Legacy keeps me subscribed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.