The idea of "servers" is antiquated. Get with the times Bioware

displaynameinuse

This could have been done, but there would be an insane amount of redundancy to make it work effectively.

As it sits right now, the way the game is designed, it could happen without too much change in coding.

The flaw in the system though is if anything fails at key points, EVERYONE loses access to the game until it's fixed.

Sure, there would be backups of everything and maybe it'd run smooth, but that's where the redundancy kicks in, having multi-backup-backups wouldn't be fun to deal with.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy to wish for but hard to implement. The only single server game with a really large population I know of is EVE Online (Guild Wars?)

Having different servers is not the past but the present.

ya but they only have 500k sub list i think at peak they had 250k on at one time. Not sure how with a game this large it woudl work

I wish ridiculous trolls like the person im quoting would get a clue about how technology already has the capability to place 2 million people on a single server.

I also wish theyd be smart enough to realize that "single server" does not imply putting everyone on the same "server" that is currently being offered. I know its a simple concept, and you are unable to understand...so let me try and make it even simpler..for the <80's

There would STILL be multiple servers. Depending on which instance you are on, or what planet, you'd be moved to a different server. However, you'd be able to communicate, PVP, and group with ANYONE in the game.

To be honest I'm not a network admin or have any knowledge of these matters so I could be entirely wrong about this, but I believe that "single server" games running on instances work just like you describe, which is why I tend to agree with the OP. Also...

I wish ridiculous trolls like the OP would get a clue about who the technology and logistics of 2 million people playing on a single server would work......

I think there's more trollish attitude in this post and in the OP's. Maybe the OP is wrong and the technical issues are more complex than simply sticking everyone in a single server (which wouldn't really be a single server, but several interconnected ones assigning different instances depending on where you are, etc.). But lack of technical expertise doesn't make the OP a troll, and bringing up this subject seems pretty reasonable considering there are other games that are already set up this way. Maybe its more complicated than the OP thinks, but perhaps you could educate us rather than call people trolls for being (apparently) ignorant.

Except its not really one server, from the front to you it looks like one server but in reality its likely hundreds as well, every time you go though a new portal you get a loading screen, while moving from system x to y you might stay on the same server but going from y to a you get bumped to the a new server. imagine every time you walked into a different section of the space stations you got a loading screen as you moved servers. people would QQ still.

Guy clearly has never played eve... please go watch more youtube videos.

Networking is not my job, but if it was, im sure I could do it better than the so called "professionals" in this thread.

Its been done...doing it on a larger scale is not impossible. It would just require some extra thought on how the game is presented.

Instances, FPs, Planets, etc, would all be on different servers.

I assume tying different servers together with a different server/DB with character storage isn't that CRAZY of a thought.

Bottom line...its not impossible, its not a techinical limitation. Its just a stupid argument you guys are trying to use to derail the thread.

Whether it could be done or not is not the issue, it is whether it should be done and weighing up the pros and cons and then deciding. BW obviously decided after doing that, that this was the way too go.

But again...an Armchair Techie thinks he knows more than the Pros.

CERN is in switzerland mate, it seems they need your help discovering how the universe was made.....and MENSA rang and asked you to reply to their offer of leader of thier substandard group of eggheads.

Whether it could be done or not is not the issue, it is whether it should be done and weighing up the pros and cons and then deciding. BW obviously decided after doing that, that this was the way too go.

CERN is in switzerland mate, it seems they need your help discovering how the universe was made.....and MENSA rang and asked you to reply to their offer of leader of thier substandard group of eggheads.

Well, if you bothered reading any of my posts, youd see that I already posted an almost identical post.

I should also point out, that if you ever learned how to infer meaning, that the second part of your first paragraph was also talked about..in my VERY FIRST POST.

Obviously, I was implying that Bioware didn't give any thought to it...they simply copied WoWs server structure because thats what WoW did

Edited by displaynameinuse

I don't know the reasons for BW setting up servers this way, but the fact that they did does not necessarily imply that it was the best way to do it. Maybe it was, I admit I don't know. But apparently you don't either, so why call people out on it with such certainty that your right on this issue and that anyone that thinks this should run on instances is so wrong?

Eh. It's been clear from the beginning that Bioware never set out to add anything new or progress the genre forward from a technical stand point. They simply want to capitalize on existing systems and meet the minimum expectations. Whether that is viewed as a postive or negative thing is likely going to vary from person to person.

I don't know the reasons for BW setting up servers this way, but the fact that they did does not necessarily imply that it was the best way to do it. Maybe it was, I admit I don't know. But apparently you don't either, so why call people out on it with such certainty that your right on this issue and that anyone that thinks this should run on instances is so wrong?

I don't know....but I know I don't know and haven't tried to say other wise.

I trust that the developers who built this game made and EDUCATED decision on which way to go. The problem seems to be that a lot of uneducated idiots seem to think they know better, that is where I have an issue here.

I just thought I'd point out the GTN. While things like instancing might work okay on one giant server, the GTN would grind to a halt because it's not instanced - and if it were, you'd have people jumping from instance to instance all the time looking for the best deals and the best places to sell goods.

In other words, clumping everyone together would be disasterous for trade.

Not sure what the point of the thread is; it's about five years too late for TOR to change their architecture now. Nice idea, especially given how they instanced everything anyway, but not going to happen any time soon.

Besides, for the conspiracy theorists amongst you, TOR had to try and copy WoW as much as possible and that server system is what WoW uses.

You have no idea what the technical limitations are.

It's been done. Not hard at all. It's an architectural choice; the tradeoff is name shortages (you have to have to surnames). Do you have visible servers with known populations & queues, or invisible servers, scalable populations, no queues, that you can scale as you like to demand, but a larger overall population.

Edited by Grammarye

I don't know....but I know I don't know and haven't tried to say other wise.

I trust that the developers who built this game made and EDUCATED decision on which way to go. The problem seems to be that a lot of uneducated idiots seem to think they know better, that is where I have an issue here.

If you don't know how can you possibly know they are so wrong to bring this subject up. The fact that there are already other games that are setup that way means that it can be done, which in turn means that people bringing up this subject is inevitable. It doesn't make them ignorant idiots that should shut up and play the game the way its made. They are only making suggestions. Its up to the developers to say what's what. If it can't be done they can say so. But attacking people for bringing it up and calling them ignorant won't really solve anything.

Edited by VisionStorm

Easy to wish for but hard to implement. The only single server game with a really large population I know of is EVE Online (Guild Wars?)

Having different servers is not the past but the present.

Unless you are an expert in the field dont talk about something being "impossible".

I am pretty sure gmail and facebooks servers experience more load than any pathetic MMO out there, including this one.

because WoW was of course the first one to use "servers" .... come to think of it just about everything in wow is original isint it.....

Match. Point. Reason: truth. See, e.g. Warhammer versus Warcraft, Warhammer 40k vs. Starcraft. Blizzard is really just a large conglomerate of fantasty/scifi fanboys who happen to make games.

This is 2012. Having many different unconnected servers is so 7 years ago.

With phasing and instancing there is no reason not to create 1 incredibly large server that everyone is a part of.

It seems that Bioware has so blatantly ripped off WoW that they never bothered to try and improve the MMO genre. Its sad.

Wow.....thats was dumb. Thank God your not a system administrator or anyone who knows about servers because your company would be in major trouble. One server means more trouble than its worth.

The problem seems to be that a lot of uneducated idiots seem to think they know better, that is where I have an issue here.

Hey some of us are quite educated idiots :p;)

More seriously, as I mentioned above, it can be done; that Bioware chose not to probably has more to do with marketing spin (like, it's totally like WoW, guys) than technical reasons alone (it can't be done - oh but it can).

Ironically the instancing system TOR uses everywhere for population handling pretty much proves this. Separated servers is a choice.

Unless you are an expert in the field dont talk about something being "impossible".

I am pretty sure gmail and facebooks servers experience more load than any pathetic MMO out there, including this one.

Google and Facebook have massive data centers to handle the load. Each data center contains thousands of servers. A data center is basically a huge warehouse filled with servers. The load from searches, e-mail, etc., is distributed among thousands of servers. One server could not handle this.

I'm a few credits away from a Computer Science Bachelor's, and this information is from professors whose entire life's work is research on solving these problems.

WoW's servers are connected, how do you think they do cross-realm grouping?

Also, what about time zone differences, names, regions? WoW has datacenters throughout the country to reduce latency. Or should everyone in NY connect to a server in California? For all you know, each server is actually one of several virtual machines on one physical machine. This is likely the case, many companies do this to save costs.

No large company uses one server, you just think they do.

Edited by jengelb

This is 2012. Having many different unconnected servers is so 7 years ago.

With phasing and instancing there is no reason not to create 1 incredibly large server that everyone is a part of.

It seems that Bioware has so blatantly ripped off WoW that they never bothered to try and improve the MMO genre. Its sad.

So u think that millions of people jammed on one server would somehow be benificial? Lol please crawl back under the bridge from whence u came troll. And if your serious please just get off the internet now. Im suprised you had enough higher brain functionality to post...