Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

darthinity

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do i check if a certain graphics card is compatable and will fit in my computer?

In terms of compatible, there isn't much to worry about. Just confirm it's PCI-Express, and your mobo is at least PCI-Express 1.1 or higher. The only backwards compatibility issues arise with 1.0 slots and newer cards at times.

However, PCI-Express 2.0 has been around for quite a long time by now, so you'll probably have that. A PCI-Express 3.0 card can be stuck in there without any issues.

Beyond that in terms of fit, check the dimensions, and measure inside your case. If the card is a monster of about 30 cm in length or something and you only have 25 cm available due to a hdd bay in front of it, you're going to need to check for something smaller (or a larger case).

your argument is pretty out there, this was a swtor post and you've somehow included bf3 with 3 monitors at max resolution

sorry u spent $1500+ on gpu's and cant get your aa to max out for 1 game, did you want some pity or are you just mad at your terrible choice of hardware? Then the article u posted gives the config that does allow for max in that game with eyefinity, so whats your point?

do you have trouble running swtor with those 3 680's? Cuz I dont have any trouble with 1 560ti on a normal 24 inch monitor at native res

You missed the point and you are wrong in so many ways.

First of all the point was that you are not able to max out every game with a single GTX 560Ti when playing @ 1080p. Dual GTX 680 can do it in most games but not every game.

The article I posted proves I am right. They can't max out every game and hardly any of the games has stable 60fps.

I am not mad at my choice of hardware because it is one of the best gaming systems money can buy.

Why do you think it is terrible? Please tell me what I should change to make it even better?

So in other words the you and pretty much everyone on the Internet CLAIMS they can max out every game they play on their system even if their system is comparable with a toaster. But they can never fraps their gameplay or benchmark their results. It boils down to lies and poor advice.

I think there needs to be a better explanation of the colors. I have an I7 930 and there is NO way my CPU needs an upgrade and I am constantly green, if I go by the color chart. Not to mention SWTOR doesn't even utilize a quad core processor.

No but if you are running at stock speeds that single thread SWTOR is using a lot is going to bottleneck the rest of the system.

So any i3 CPU with two threads and both at higher clockcycle than your threads is going to perform better than your CPU. And your load on the entire cpu will never go above 50%.

Edited by Marmerus

Holy Crap!!!

It could be anything. A computer only runs as fast as its weakest link. In other words, any rate limiting bottleneck will make your game run like crap.

People often overlook motherboard BUS speed and hard drive data transfer rate.

Internet can also be a problem.

If you want real solid advice, post all your specs and internet connection.

Get yourself a GTX 460 if you're low on budget, one of the best cards you're gonna get at the 100 euro range.

This. I run a GTX 460 and get around 100 fps at 1080 with many settings turned up.

But, it's not just one component that makes your system. It's everything together. I have a 4.2 gig amd cpu, 8 gigs of ram, two WD black HD in raid 0 with a GTX 460. I would say my bottle neck is my hard drives. But I just wasn't willing to give up all the space for an SSD drive. My load times are definitely tolerable. In fact I've had people comment on how fast I switch characters and load back into the game.