Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

PVP Vanguard DPS Gear Help

rymasta

I just hit 50 on my vanguard and have tried tanking in pvp. Its not my favorite role and I wasnt doing any dmg so i switched to dps. As DPS I wasnt surviving at all so im torn. This is my first MMO so I'm new to all this stuff and I dont quite understand. I want to increase my damage and survivability. I know that that will come with gear but I dont know what gear to get or what augments to use. The build is 4/6/31. Should I use 4 pieces of supercommando for the set bonus and the rifle and shield and then use combat tech for the rest? That was just and idea i got from someone else but i dont want to buy the wrong stuff

I just hit 50 on my vanguard and have tried tanking in pvp. Its not my favorite role and I wasnt doing any dmg so i switched to dps. As DPS I wasnt surviving at all so im torn. This is my first MMO so I'm new to all this stuff and I dont quite understand. I want to increase my damage and survivability. I know that that will come with gear but I dont know what gear to get or what augments to use. The build is 4/6/31. Should I use 4 pieces of supercommando for the set bonus and the rifle and shield and then use combat tech for the rest? That was just and idea i got from someone else but i dont want to buy the wrong stuff

You can't have both.

Tank vanguards are not in a good place for pvp atm so I would just build the full dps set. The survivability will go up as you get more war hero gear and more expertise but full pyro vanguards are glass cannons. Your best defense will always be killing the other guy first, luckily you have the best burst in game. For now just try to assist better geared teammates, don't charge in first like Rambo. If you make smart use of your stuns and shield it can go along way. Keep in mind kiting melee is very effective as well since all of your abilities can hit at 10m.

Even if you get armor that has shielding you have to have your ion cylinder (or whatever the republic equivalent is) to activate it, and if you are going up the third tree you have to have a certain cylinder on to get the proc on your hammer shot I think it is. So you really gotta pick one or the other.

Tank vanguards are not in a good place for pvp atm so I would just build the full dps set. The survivability will go up as you get more war hero gear and more expertise but full pyro vanguards are glass cannons. Your best defense will always be killing the other guy first, luckily you have the best burst in game. For now just try to assist better geared teammates, don't charge in first like Rambo. If you make smart use of your stuns and shield it can go along way. Keep in mind kiting melee is very effective as well since all of your abilities can hit at 10m.

I would say that operative burst is a bit better, considering the surprise attack, stun, dot and explosive charge.

I would say that operative burst is a bit better, considering the surprise attack, stun, dot and explosive charge.

Yeah but Ops have that one rotation which won't really kill anyone anymore and can easily be thwarted by your CC break. If you think Ops have better burst than Powertechs/Vanguards you haven't played any ranked. NO even semi decent ranked team would take a DPS Op over a PT/Van.

Ok so what should I do to be a solid pvp contender

You should go up the third (shared) tree and get the set of gear that gives you +15% chance for your hammer shot to crit or whatever your equivalent to rail shot is

Edited by Mistrunnerx

Until you get more experience and better gear, just try keeping your distance from the enemy/enemies. Kite that single melee opponent with your snare from Ion Pulse, and always take a few steps back from that clump of enemies (although it is always tempting to go in for a Stockstrike). Heck, just spam Hammer Shots and Impact Bolts from 30m until you find an opportunity close in on an enemy who stands a bit separated from his group - and don't chase him when he runs back to his comrades.

You will not be playing the class to it's full potential this way of course, but it's a place to start. Even later on, always keeping the correct distance is key to playing this class.

I'm not doing terrible in wzs at all i come in 4th for damage most of the time and the people ahead of me are usually elite war hero. we all have our bad days but I find myself to be pretty dangerous as DPS. I am just wondering about the armor. right now im almost full War hero Combat tech which is the dps set. I was wondering if there were inserts or other pieces that arent in that set that i should be looking for to become better. Along with that I want to know which elite war hero set to get which you guys answered(combat tech) but which augments should i get ?

It looks like you want to tank with high dps, which is possible, check this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=2770

What I am doing, is going 5 piece suppercommando set with all defense mods and dps enhancments, then implants and earpieces are dps and both relics are defense ones. The goal is to have high dps and high defense and no absorb/shield as defense has a chance to dodge all attacks, while shield/absorb only has a chance on some abilites.

I am full war hero suppercommando in all spots, since I pve dailies and such, so I will be min maxing him in the future for this build once comms become useless on this toon.

It looks like you want to tank with high dps, which is possible, check this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=2770

What I am doing, is going 5 piece suppercommando set with all defense mods and dps enhancments, then implants and earpieces are dps and both relics are defense ones. The goal is to have high dps and high defense and no absorb/shield as defense has a chance to dodge all attacks, while shield/absorb only has a chance on some abilites.

I am full war hero suppercommando in all spots, since I pve dailies and such, so I will be min maxing him in the future for this build once comms become useless on this toon.

shh dont do that. 8/6/27 and kill everything before it kills you. Also note, you got the (wrong) set, you want the +15% crit chance to HIB and not to Stockstrike.

If you want to be tanky while delivering good damage reroll as sin:)

I play assault. If you go assault you want the 4 piece Eliminators set. Run the 4/6/31 spec until you have all WH gear with aim augments, then switch to 7/3/31. The job of this spec is to kill stuff in a short period of time, called burst. Primary targets are healers. You will be squishy. The way I gear is expertise>Aim>ranged critical 30% unbuffed>power>surge to 75%>ranged accuracy to 98%.

wait i should get eliminators gear i thought that was for commandos i have been getting combat tech gear and I have like 5 pieces already

If you plan on playing Assault then Elimanators is the best set. The 4-piece set bonus is the best thing in game for Assault. Combat Tech gear is the best for Tactics, its ok for assault I guess.

A lot Vanguard tanks use the Combat Tech set for PVP.

For assualt spec you should use Eliminator for the 4piece set bonus (+15% to HiB crit). The assualt spec is built around HiB so it makes sense to buff it with the set bonus.

are you serious cause i'm more than halfway to full combat tech

Don't sweat it too much, WH gear doesn't take to long to get. Plus you can rip the good mods and enhancements out of the.combat gear.

Pretty much. Survivability is based on killing stuff fast, knowing when to use stuns, and kiting melee stay more than 4 meters away but not 10 or more meters. Certain classes have a huge advantage to you, don't get discourage if they give it to you. A well played assassin/shadow, guardian/juggernaut, and sniper/gunslinger can be rough.

but if played right could i be extremely dangerous cause i got a 50 commando and realized how disadvantaged i was so i made a vangaurd and got to 50 (which took me awhile) will i be able to be a serious threat as this class

but if played right could i be extremely dangerous cause i got a 50 commando and realized how disadvantaged i was so i made a vangaurd and got to 50 (which took me awhile) will i be able to be a serious threat as this class

Yes if played right you can be a serious threat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.