The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I found one of the reasons for low fps during heavy combat.

Nijraw

Before I start I get around 50 FPS, now so for me to say that Bioware isn't at least working on performance will be a lie compared to 20 FPS a few months ago, I just think they might of missed something that is right in front of there faces (literally), Okay let me start, when I'm around many players all using there skills my system bogs down and starts to sometimes go into freeze frames.

So I did a test, me and a few friends made some hardware macros with our razer gear and then ran a test on NPCs, we have found out that when we all use macros (or buttons tied together) we get a screen spammed with "Red Error Text" 10 lines long. After much testing with and without macros we have found hardware macros and others running macros simultaneously with each other around is when we start to go into freeze frames mode and massive drops in FPS.

I know what you are thinking, stop using macros, well It's not that simple because unless you can make millions of players world wide stop using hardware macros there is no way around this (I like to add there is no way to detect hardware macros that I know of), just about every gaming mouse, keyboard today has hardware macro support, not counting apps like autohotkey & macro gamer to name a few that are untraceable if you add no delays, besides that's not what most people are using macros for, they are using them to free up key binds by macro-n together off the global cool down abilities, med packs ect. (no way to stop it ,sorry folks), the game has to be optimized for ability spam from hardware macros.

The only fix Bioware is to limit or remove the red error text, this seems to be sending some type of feedback and causing extreme lag and FPS drops, you want to limit the load on the client side as much as you can and a good start is to give the option to remove or limit the red error text to only 1 error at a time.

Edited by Nijraw

TL;DR version = I'm a lousy player who needs macros. Please enable macros Bioware for kids like me.

Millions of players using macros huh? Maybe in other games. Get rid of your crutches and learn to play the game like the majority of us do. It's not going to hurt.

TL;DR version = I'm a lousy player who needs macros. Please enable macros Bioware for kids like me.

Millions of players using macros huh? Maybe in other games. Get rid of your crutches and learn to play the game like the majority of us do. It's not going to hurt.

Agree I don't know anyone who uses macros in this game even with Razer gear..

That's how I feel as well. I'm playing this on an Alienware M18X, and a Razer Naga Epic. The capability of using macros is there, but considering this is my first real MMO (not counting korean grinders), I've yet to ever feel the need to use macros. And lo and behold, I can still perform very well, and not suffer FPS drops because of it.

You totally missed the point, maybe if you learn to read kid you will see that I am talking about how macros create lag due to red error text spam, so before you go stroking your e-peen all over the forums learn 2 read before posting.

Macros are being used and there is nothing you are anyone can do about it, so to help lag they need to remove screen spam client side.

Edited by Nijraw

You totally missed the point, maybe if you learn to read kid you will see that I am talking about how macros create lag due to red error text spam, so before you go stroking your e-peen all over the forums learn 2 read before posting.

Macros are being used and there is nothing you are anyone can do about it, so to help lag they need to remove screen spam client side.

Yes, you are right. Bioware is clearly the party at fault here, holding the only answer

/sarcasmoff

No, He didn't miss the point

Or they're there to force players to actually play the game as intended, rather than being lazy. I'm just sayin'.

If using macros is causing lag, turn them off and stop using them. Simple. Don't even try to argue the point, because the answer will always be the same. Stop being lazy, don't use macros. I personally don't care whether or not you feel like you "need" them in order to play the game properly. If the game were meant toe be played properly with macros, they would have added them in the game.

Agree I don't know anyone who uses macros in this game even with Razer gear..

Then you don't know many people, or they are flat out lying to you because people use gaming gear, having a mosue with 20 buttons is more of an advantage then macros, having programmable keyboards the same, my point is people pay big money to use those things why else would anyone in there right mind pay $100 for a mouse and more for a keyboard.

Most will not admit it but they are handicapped without them now, this is the reason when you play any e-sport they out right ban any progamable keyboard or gaming mouse, MLG gives you a standard keyboard and a 3 button mouse.

Then you don't know many people, or they are flat out lying to you because people use gaming gear, having a mosue with 20 buttons is more of an advantage then macros, having programmable keyboards the same, my point is people pay big money to use those things why else would anyone in there right mind pay $100 for a mouse and more for a keyboard.

Most will not admit it but they are handicapped without them now, this is the reason when you play any e-sport they out right ban any progamable keyboard or gaming mouse, MLG gives you a standard keyboard and a 3 button mouse.

So, to use (an inherently faulty) analogy (as I am posting it here in Gen. Discussion, tear it apart NOW), you are advocating the use of sports cars on a Go-Kart track, and are confused when management insists on a speed limit?

Again, tear that analogy apart. I am asking for it.

Yes, you are right. Bioware is clearly the party at fault here, holding the only answer

/sarcasmoff

No, He didn't miss the point

Again you missed the point, my point is people will use hard ware macros, because so this creates lag for everybody, even those that don't use gaming gear, because they can't stop it they need to optimize client side performance by limiting screen spam, macros create lag that is my point, so for everyones sake and the performance of the game I gave Bioware an easy fix to reduce client side lag, however server side lag is another beast all together.

So, to use (an inherently faulty) analogy (as I am posting it here in Gen. Discussion, tear it apart NOW), you are advocating the use of sports cars on a Go-Kart track, and are confused when management insists on a speed limit?

Again, tear that analogy apart. I am asking for it.

If it was up to me I would remove all macros, but because you can not, Bioware has to work around the lag it create is all I was trying to point out, take it how you wish and if you can't see the logic in that you are just one of those argumentative posters.

Again you missed the point, my point is people will use hard ware macros, because so this creates lag for everybody, even those that don't use gaming gear, because they can't stop it they need to optimize client side performance by limiting screen spam, macros create lag that is my point, so for everyones sake and the performance of the game I gave Bioware an easy fix to reduce client side lag, however server side lag is another beast all together.

You keep saying everyone's missing the point.

Did you ever consider that it's you and not them?

Actually I agree, there does seem to be a lot of excessive red error text, and I don't use macros. Heck I'd really like to stop seeing "You cannot summon your companion in an Ops group" every time I zone into one. It could certainly help if they throttled error text or any kind of spammed messages a bit, I know Blizzard had to do that because there were times when people crashed whole servers by spamming emotes in an event. Silly but true.

Or they're there to force players to actually play the game as intended, rather than being lazy. I'm just sayin'.

If using macros is causing lag, turn them off and stop using them. Simple. Don't even try to argue the point, because the answer will always be the same. Stop being lazy, don't use macros. I personally don't care whether or not you feel like you "need" them in order to play the game properly. If the game were meant toe be played properly with macros, they would have added them in the game.

That would be the logical choice yes, but good luck telling everyone to stop using macros, problem is it can't be stoped and it create lag for everyone even players like myself and others that do not use macros at all, why sould a player suffer because some dude is running all macros in a warzone lag you out because of bad coding?

I hope you dont have a proffesion like construction engineering because if you were , humanity would suffer from your collapsing buildings.

First of there is no macro in this game.There is no something called as hardware macro on the universe.Its the keybinding you are referring to and it has no relevance to fps drop.

Your fps drops when everybody in your group casts force lighting by pressing mouse button 4 on yours X brand mouse because fps drops when everybody around you casts force lighting no matter you use a keybind or mouse button 4 of your X branded mouse or clicking with mouse from your ability list. Its the software which uses direct to render it on your gpu which makes you lose fps.

Edited by kijthae

You keep saying everyone's missing the point.

Did you ever consider that it's you and not them?

Okey I will make this as clear as I can for the slow people.

Macros will lag out anyone that is near them, so if you are minding your own business playing your game, and some random dude you don't even know starts playing beside you with macros, this will cause you to lag because he is using macros.

Actually I agree, there does seem to be a lot of excessive red error text, and I don't use macros. Heck I'd really like to stop seeing "You cannot summon your companion in an Ops group" every time I zone into one. It could certainly help if they throttled error text or any kind of spammed messages a bit, I know Blizzard had to do that because there were times when people crashed whole servers by spamming emotes in an event. Silly but true.

Thank you someone who understands my post, yes are are right bilzzard had to fix there spam because players where causing lag and crashing servers I remember that, there was this one macros players use to make another player lag out people in pvp just to win, looked like they where posting all over the play, not sure if you remember that but it was bad.

Okey I will make this as clear as I can for the slow people.

Macros will lag out anyone that is near them, so if you are minding your own business playing your game, and some random dude you don't even know starts playing beside you with macros, this will cause you to lag because he is using macros.

:o

I will admit, my reading comprehension does take a hit after the stroke o' midnight ... but I do see what you are saying now. Seeing more info on the matter (this occurring in other games, thanks chuixupu!) drove your point home. This is my first MMO, and I don't use macros, as I had no idea what they were until I played TOR. So I was reacting with what knowledge I had at the time. Your post kinda melded with the second one, and well, we all know what happened from then on. I thought this was a macro advocacy thread in disguise. My bad. Will you take my apology cookie? It's a white chip macadamia ....

I hope you dont have a proffesion like construction engineering because if you were , humanity would suffer from your collapsing buildings.

First of there is no macro in this game.There is no something called as hardware macro on the universe.Its the keybinding you are referring to and it has no relevance to fps drop.

Your fps drops when everybody in your group casts force lighting by pressing mouse button 4 on yours X brand mouse because fps drops when everybody around you casts force lighting no matter you use a keybind or mouse button 4 of your X branded mouse or clicking with mouse from your ability list. Its the software which uses direct to render it on your gpu which makes you lose fps.

Yes it does, I have tested this out thoroughly, If a player makes a macro where the macro has (example) 4 abilities all tied to one button, the game will spam all 4 buttons and use the one that is of the cool down, but because the game is trying to use all 4 at a time this creates major lag, the game is trying to read multiple abilities at the same time jamming client to server connection.

There are different types of lag and many people can't seem to differentiate between then, and why should they, below I will list the types of lag.

1. Client side lag, this is lag from your connection to the server.

2. Gpu lag, this is lag when your Gpu is weak or with out dated divers.

3. Cpu lag, same as Gpu for the most part but tends to look like your screen is running a slide show.

4 Server side lag, this is on the companies end, most likely poor server hardware.

Edited by Nijraw

I will admit, my reading comprehension does take a hit after the stroke o' midnight ... but I do see what you are saying now. Seeing more info on the matter (this occurring in other games, thanks chuixupu!) drove your point home. This is my first MMO, and I don't use macros, as I had no idea what they were until I played TOR. So I was reacting with what knowledge I had at the time. Your post kinda melded with the second one, and well, we all know what happened from then on. I thought this was a macro advocacy thread in disguise. My bad. Will you take my apology cookie? It's a white chip macadamia ....

Lol no problem. we all been there at one point in time : )

What is it with this horde of mouth breathers thinking that tieing together several off-the-gcd skills to a single button somehow makes you a worse player then those who do not?. It is a common sense interface advancement. Tor still not having software macros just shows how unready bioware were to be making an mmo and no amount of fanboy denial is going to change that.

Many more people than will ever admit to it (here or in game) will use them.

Almost anyone at the top end of PvP or PvE will be using them (to some degree).

I'm not sure if it would be them causing lag, I suspect it's just the game engine bottlenecking at anything over about 16 people using abilities in one area, however it may well be worth looking into, even if it can just aliveate a bit of the issue.