1 Year and not much content? Should be B2P...

AdamChattaway

Just so everyone knows, new players don't care about what happened months ago, what's important is the direction this game takes now. Holding on to year ling grudges about how content was not released to your liking helps no one here.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TY for actually reading the post & I agree completely. A purely sandbox MMO would be ideal, but the QA needed to keep it from spiraling out of control would kill anything not named Microsoft. I think about what open source has done for the computer industry, and then think how it would be if every single end user's creation was added to the train. It would be a train wreck regardless of how smooth or simplified the editing tools were.

It's just not possible - especially where plot and story are concerned. Reading a book and writing a book are not the same. Having millions of contributing authors would make it an unintelligible read, regardless of the editing capabilities.

But no sandbox game is big or survives, seriously eve online is the biggest sandbox game out and ferw people play that, there are no big sandbox games because a WOW style combat sandbox game people will ger bored of, its MMO's in general people are bored of, most new mmos have something new bit by bit new mmos have more features and such but people still get bored, GW2 and its WVWVW everyone made it sound like the best thing ever and at release people got bored of it, sandbox games do NOT get enough customers, people like the on the rails, Ive preorded darkfall unholy wars, this is a sandbox game and will have 2 servers and a small community of players, sandbox games are never big.

Just so you know dailies and a world boss arent "content" and neither is a NiM mode OP where all they did was buff life and damage and make you use a med pac but sure try to pad that list. KP and KUS were going to be in the game and almost done but EA pushed up the release date for christmas so dont act like they got that finished real quick for us. This game severely lacked any updates we went 6 months from 1.2 to 1.4. Now redo your list. Most people finished endgame here in less than 2 months hence why so many left and the biggest complaint has BEEN that theres NOTHING to do at 50.
Perhaps not for you. But for the rest of us new bosses, missions & quest zones are called content. TOR averages a new content addition once every 6 weeks, be it a world event, Op, flashpoint, new planet zone, missions... Blizzard isn't even doing that. Neither is Turbine, NCSoft, Cryptic or Funcom.

I have 2 level 50s with a mix of Tionese & Rakata gear, and 2 level 40+s that are closing in on end game. Most people either don't power level, have a progression guild to carry them or possess your uberness. Translated, most people have not finished end game yet.

The reason people were leaving in February and March was because of Ilum crashes and the RWZ release delay. Other than Ilum end game had squat to do with it as there were 2 fresh Ops and an Op expansion (new wing with 4 additional bosses) in the first 3 patches. Since then they've focused more on the game itself: a customizable UI, RWZs, Legacy, Group Finder, Cartel store, etc...

Internet water army volunteers no longer have an effect here, and I for one am glad they don't.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I did miss that because the servers I was on at the time (Mask of Nihilus & Jedi Covenant) had no such issues. I trust that population issues existed, but the game was far from dead ... or we wouldn't still be here.

Personally I play a game for what it is now, not for what it was. But that's just me. And the new players could not care less about the growing pains that happened 10 months ago. Anyone who does needs to do a bag dump. In fact, staying with it and watching the game stabilize & grow has been rather satisfying imho.

If you are interested in seeing just how far a game can tumble, check this out (taken just after midnight Christmas eve):

http://www.galactickegger.com/Pics/wow_12-25-2012.jpg

Of note is that TOR now has more active North American servers (8) than WoW does (7). For both faction hubs (think fleets): Stormwind on Kirin Tor had 15 people in it, while Orgrimmar on Thorium Brotherhood had a whopping 12. Orgrimmar on Mal'Ganis (a PvP server) was pretty packed though.

Sorry are you comparing WOW server on Christmas eve, to TOR servers normally? im an EU player and i can tell you WOW EU has like 100 servers and half are active, thats 50x SWTOR, so either US hates wow nowadays or theres more Christians in the world :) myself had a good Christmas eve and Christmas, so oc people wont be on wow, measure wows servers in 2 days and swtor in 2 days.

I stopped reading here

Either you're a gypsy fortune teller who can predict the future, you're an insider from Bioware who just leaked us information, or you're talking out of your *** :p

What an ignorant reply, $10 for an expansion, they said its the same size as the biggest current planets int he game, i can complete 1-2 planets in 1 day, so i reckon i can complete a new zone of equal size in 2 days, good day.

Just so you know dailies and a world boss arent "content" and neither is a NiM mode OP where all they did was buff life and damage and make you use a med pac but sure try to pad that list. KP and KUS were going to be in the game and almost done but EA pushed up the release date for christmas so dont act like they got that finished real quick for us. This game severely lacked any updates we went 6 months from 1.2 to 1.4. Now redo your list. Most people finished endgame here in less than 2 months hence why so many left and the biggest complaint has BEEN that theres NOTHING to do at 50.

This is completely false, I take it you don't raid. You want to see lack of content updates? Before WoW released MoP they went a YEAR without ANY content updates. A year. I quit AoC because so little content was released. When they finally did release something we had to pay for it.

There has been a lot of content released this year. I play daily and 90% of the time I'm on the same level 50 and I always have something to do. Sorry it's not the same for you.

Edited by DaRoamer

Perhaps not for you. But for the rest of us new bosses, missions & quest zones are called content. TOR averages a new content addition once every 6 weeks, be it a world event, Op, flashpoint, new planet zone, missions... Blizzard isn't even doing that. Neither is Turbine, NCSoft, Cryptic or Funcom.

I have 2 level 50s with a mix of Tionese & Rakata gear, and 2 level 40+s that are closing in on end game. Most people either don't power level, have a progression guild to carry them or possess your uberness. Translated, most people have not finished end game yet.

The reason people were leaving in February and March was because of Ilum crashes and the RWZ release delay. Other than Ilum end game had squat to do with it as there were 2 fresh Ops and an Op expansion (new wing with 4 additional bosses) in the first 3 patches. Since then they've focused more on the game itself: a customizable UI, RWZs, Legacy, Group Finder, Cartel store, etc...

Internet water army volunteers no longer have an effect here, and I for one am glad they don't.

Actually sir, LOTRO i currently play right now has an expansion every year and new zones with hundreds of quests every few months, what i meant by my OP is where is the new story? WE HAVE NO NEW STORY, a few dailys and a boss doe snot give me char progressing story and lvs, i do dailys 2x and am bored of the repetitive grind, that is not fun.

Sorry are you comparing WOW server on Christmas eve, to TOR servers normally? im an EU player and i can tell you WOW EU has like 100 servers and half are active, thats 50x SWTOR, so either US hates wow nowadays or theres more Christians in the world :) myself had a good Christmas eve and Christmas, so oc people wont be on wow, measure wows servers in 2 days and swtor in 2 days.
I DID say North American servers ... and am glad to read you had a great Christmas. I did too. :)

What WoW does in Korea, South America or on Mars had no effect on where I rolled my Panda monk. I only had 7 options available to me for N. America.

My gift resub came from and old guildmate. My old guild moved to Mal'Ganis from Thorium Brotherhood because Thorium Brotherhood was dying. Mal'Ganis is a PvP server and it seems that many of the elite progression guilds have found a home there. While I enjoy the hell out of PvP, I don't enjoy getting camped and ganked when I quest.

The other servers I have toons on are genuine ghost towns. Org & SW are empty and the auction houses are bare. Ugh. I really don't want to disappoint my old guild friends, but I'm not going back after my 30 days. Especially after missing my TOR companions and reaquainting myself and the old click & go no-interaction quest system. Bored me to tears.

Actually sir, LOTRO i currently play right now has an expansion every year and new zones with hundreds of quests every few months, what i meant by my OP is where is the new story? WE HAVE NO NEW STORY, a few dailys and a boss doe snot give me char progressing story and lvs, i do dailys 2x and am bored of the repetitive grind, that is not fun.

How many quests does Makeb have? It'll also have a story.

wait how are Dallies and world bosses not content? Quests and new bosses are most defently content. I agree adding KP Nightmare isn't really content but they did add the rest of KP in 1.1.

You are also forgeting patch 1.3 in there kid. During that time between 1.2 and 1.4 we had 2 world events.

Of course even if you want to look at it as 6 months that is still shorter then the 11 months WoW has gone with out any content updates.

I do agree that LotrO has done an amazing job with their F2P and expansions but keep in mind that is $40 for their expansion as compared to our $10. I will wait till see what is in this expansion and hopefully we will see SWTOR get expansions like LotrO. Remember the game has just been out for 1 year and it had a lot of growing pains but it seems to be on a much better track.

I still don't understand this argument about an MMO being dead because it only has < 1 million players.

WoW has 10 million players.... We get it. Those 10 million are stretched out across the timezones, continents, servers and factions. At any given time on a full server you are only playing with up too 2000 people.

CoD only has 300,000 on at a time, Halo 4 has 75,000. Its not the quantity that matters its the quality and SWTOR players are much better then the average WoW troll.

Were TOR's questing engine a simple click & go linear text library with a cut scene thrown in here & there they would likely have a ton of new story content. But they use voice animation with player decision trees ... stuff that isn't found canned on ACID CDs or DVDs. Theirs is a production - a MAJOR production. More VA dialogue than all 6 Star Wars movies combined if memory serves.

Some don't think the way Bioware is doing it is worth the trouble. That's cool. It is what it is, and if that means less frequent content but they keep the same VA presentation and in-presentation player decision interaction ... then I'm happy with less frequent content. I personally don't want TOR to play like the other MMOs - they can keep it. This game has spoiled me.

My wife & I retain our LOTRO VIP subs and have the Riders Legendary Edition. Turbine can add content as fast they do for the reasons I stated above. SWTOR is not the same game as LOTRO or WoW or GW2 or Rift or any other text-based cookie cutter MMORPG. So it won't have story additions released as fast as a text-based MMO.

Edited by GalacticKegger

They need to FIX the PVP issue with SWTOR, im a end game pvp player and i remade my chars on the PVE server for higher pop and no ganking, Ganking is NOT pvp, theres no skill or point of it just a way for kids to grief.

I'm sorry, but you're flat out wrong here. Maybe if someone just goes out for the sole purpose of ganking lowbies, but that's just plain stupid. There is way more skill involved in world pvp because you don't have 1200+ expertise to fall back on, and there is no objective that players are mindlessly running towards and bashing each other's faces in to get to. You have to skillfully figure out your escape routes, LoS points, mobs to use in your favor, etc. the second that someone jumps you. The best part is that because players typically do not wear their pvp gear while doing dailies, you don't get 2-3 shot in open world pvp. In a full on 1-2 minute fight between players, you definitely see who has more skill with their class; unlike warzones where you either win or lose a fight in 3-10 seconds, less if you are a juggernaut/guardian smash spec....

I still don't understand this argument about an MMO being dead because it only has < 1 million players.

WoW has 10 million players.... We get it. Those 10 million are stretched out across the timezones, continents, servers and factions. At any given time on a full server you are only playing with up too 2000 people.

CoD only has 300,000 on at a time, Halo 4 has 75,000. Its not the quantity that matters its the quality and SWTOR players are much better then the average WoW troll.

I love when people bring up that argument and mention games like LoTRO, AoC, SWG, Warhammer, or Rift... lol Those games never had a million subs at once, let alone kept a million subs. This game is very much alive, regardless of what the cry babies portray.

I'm looking very forward to the elder scrolls online TESO, that looks like its action based combat, random events and large scale siege pvp and factions and vaste exploration and PQ system will keep the game going endgame. also 1 HUGE SERVER jsut 1 big server for the world, no low pop server or buying server transfers to play with friends or dead servers at 4am.

Action based combat is nothing new, and so far although initially appealing has quickly become annoying to many traditional MMO players.

Random events, also nothing new, and also nothing "random" to them. They're thus far highly predictable.

Large scale siege PvP has been done before, and thus far always been plagued with horrendous lag issues. The Elderscrolls Online will unlikely be any different.

Vast exploration yes, although since the world is a rehash of their previous titles a lot of the environments will already in some form be known to many gamers.

One huge server sounds nice, however different channels and such will still cause people to remain dissattisfied if they're not automatically placed on the same servers as their guildies and friends. And as that's nigh impossible, well yeh, you get it.

Thing is, personally I think TESO will be a great MMO to play, on par with SWTOR. However, just like with SWTOR, I foresee a great deal of players overhyping themselves way too much and will risk a major dissappointment once TESO launches.

I'm sorry, but you're flat out wrong here. Maybe if someone just goes out for the sole purpose of ganking lowbies, but that's just plain stupid. There is way more skill involved in world pvp because you don't have 1200+ expertise to fall back on, and there is no objective that players are mindlessly running towards and bashing each other's faces in to get to. You have to skillfully figure out your escape routes, LoS points, mobs to use in your favor, etc. the second that someone jumps you. The best part is that because players typically do not wear their pvp gear while doing dailies, you don't get 2-3 shot in open world pvp. In a full on 1-2 minute fight between players, you definitely see who has more skill with their class; unlike warzones where you either win or lose a fight in 3-10 seconds, less if you are a juggernaut/guardian smash spec....
Oh man ... a guildie and I caught a BH flagged on Hoth and chased him to just outside of Thesh before we finally caught him. After downing him just outside of turret range we were met by a host of Imps looking for payback. We got creamed and posted in gchat that we needed help. They in turn chatted their friend's lists. The Imps must have done the same thing because what ensued was a multi-ops group open PvP bloodbath that lasted for over an hour. Stellar stuff. :D Edited by GalacticKegger

Oh man ... a guildie and I caught a BH flagged on Hoth and chased him to just outside of Thesh before we finally caught him. After downing him just outside of turret range we were met by a host of Imps looking for payback. We got creamed and posted in gchat that we needed help. They in turn chatted their friend's lists. The Imps must have done the same thing because what ensued was a multi-ops group open PvP bloodbath that lasted for over an hour. Stellar stuff. :D

I LOVE open PvP!!!! lol Nothing is more fun to me than having 2 full ops groups battling it out on a planet. Once that starts, it even spreads to other parts of the planet and you start getting pockets of fighting everywhere. In those cases, I feel bad for people that are still leveling because they're just going to have a rough couple of hours trying to get through that planets quest chain... lol

There is nothing skilled about attacking a player who is fighting a group of mobs and has 50% hp.

World pvp has NEVER been more skilled than small scale instanced pvp like WZs. World pvp is just a giant zergfest where individual skill doesn't really matter, and it's all a numbers game.

GW2 is the best world pvp game currently, and it's just a massive zergfest.

Oh man ... a guildie and I caught a BH flagged on Hoth and chased him to just outside of Thesh before we finally caught him. After downing him just outside of turret range we were met by a host of Imps looking for payback. We got creamed and posted in gchat that we needed help. They in turn chatted their friend's lists. The Imps must have done the same thing because what ensued was a multi-ops group open PvP bloodbath that lasted for over an hour. Stellar stuff. :D

Same happens on Tatooine a lot. I've been in a few ops in the dune sea. Then we eventually hit the world boss. Always tons of fun. All they would need to do is add some kind of capture points that give planet wide buffs and a buff to lobbies grouping with 50s. That would be cool.

Ive been subscribing since I got access to the game early as a pre-order.

I still haven't finished end game. Two mid level 40s and a level 34 inquisitor. Most people have social lives and other business to attend too. We dont power level, we take it easy and play a few hours a week if we can.

These people that rush through everything are insane and should find some other hobbies. There is a **** ton of content I haven't even sniffed yet.

Side Note.....I've never PVP'd...nor care to involve myself in it at all.

Edited by calhounhusker

Same happens on Tatooine a lot. I've been in a few ops in the dune sea. Then we eventually hit the world boss. Always tons of fun. All they would need to do is add some kind of capture points that give planet wide buffs and a buff to lobbies grouping with 50s. That would be cool.
Yeah baby! Not only planet-wide buffs but maybe even access for the "flag owning faction" to a special boss wing inside that planet's affiliated flashpoint. Edited by GalacticKegger

Here is an idea that I have been thinking about for a while now. Make Ilum a straight pvp world. Make it a world pvp planet. Have a section of the planet have something similar to what WOW had where you have to battle the opposing faction for control, unlocking some more pvp missions or new flashpoint with exclusive pvp gear and weapons. Have a gladatorial colliseum, where 3 vs 3 can battle for warzone commendations or a different kind of pvp commendation. Have a unique pvp queue for space pvp missions. This idea would actually yield more things for people into pvp for them to do on a daily basis. Give the planet some daily pvp missions since its open world pvp, and I'm talking about the whole planet. You know, set ambushes and such.

Instead of people always having to go to either their ship or fleet, have the option of being able to have your own unique property on a select world to be able to relax, use GTN, re-spec, etc. Even on your ship you can lag something fierce if many people are there. I think if there was an option similar to this idea, fleet wouldn't be so packed all the time.

Add more crafting patterns so there is something more to craft upon reaching max level.

Add credits to cartel market packs or have the option of buying credits using money or cartel coins. This would eliminate all the credit sellers that email people all the time.

Add a chapter to every classes storyline and add some more companion story as well. Atleast a quest of two. This could actually be done every six months if done right. ( Would be nice )

Basically bioware really needs to take a step back and ask themselves, "what can we do, to keep our players playing?" It's simple, add certain content that players will be able to keep doing until the next content patch that keeps the story going. If you don't keep the story going, then what's the point in bringing out something new that doesn't involve a players character? Daily missions really do get old in time, FP's, opts, and HM's also get boring too. So I'm hoping that this new planet is better than what most are expecting....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.