Gonna sound like a noob question but...

TheTurtleManKing

From 10-49 pvp does gear matter? I mean, since stats are are all the same I feel like they don't.

yes. your gear scales with your abilities. a lvl 10 in purples will rock a lvl 49 (with all his abils unlocked) simply cuz of gear/stats.

yes. your gear scales with your abilities. a lvl 10 in purples will rock a lvl 49 (with all his abils unlocked) simply cuz of gear/stats.

That would have to be a really terrible player (the level 49).

To answer the OP's question. Yes, gear scales with your stats, but it doesn't matter anywhere near how much it matters in the level 50 bracket.

Matters a good deal as people have stated. This is what I've done the last 3 toons I've leveled and all of which I've pvp'd quite a bit on (all DPS Specs).

lvl 1-20: quest rewards for gear. Mix of greens & blues. No Augments. My HP in a WZ is around 11k-12.5k.

lvl 20-44: I craft myself a set of orange gear, augment it and fill with blue quality items. Ear & implants are crafted blues or if I have the schematics purples. Make sure I have some sort of relic (matrix for 1 slot and anything in the other). My HP in a WZ is around 14k-14.5k.

lvl 45-50: Last round of crafting. Everything purple quality. My HP in a WZ is around 16k-17k. Stats will slowly reduce as I get closer to 50.

Makes a huge difference. I have a sorc at lvl 48, and I occasionally get spanked by fully decked out enemies that are below lvl 20. I have all orange gear with blue mods appropriate for my level. I realize I can be more competitive by buying/making expensive purple mods for everything, but why bother since I'll be in lvl-50 pvp soon anyway.

I see a lot of people who have tons of expertise and all (or most) purple stuff and are nowhere near lvl 49. Isn't that the definition of a twink? But in a way it doesn't matter because none of that stuff will carry over into endgame pvp. Also, why waste comms buying lowbie PVP weapons to rip expertise mods out of them? You are better off saving them for war hero gear later on.

yes

gear matters a lot

i love to spend to spend my credits on as much purple gear/mods as I can for my lowbie alts (who level exclusively in pvp wz's)

my lowbie alts will be consistently above 14k hps and your effectiveness will be much increased over a "just passing through" player in greens, empty slots, occasional blue, etc., who is just doing the pvp daily

get a couple of the +51 end cartel crystals as well to add to your hp pool

Edited by Daxy

If you've ever run into a level 49 twink, gear does make a bigger difference in the 10-49 than at the 50 bracket. The main reason that the stats are usually fairly balanced is that almost no one bothers to craft themself a full set of epic-level mods and augments at each level - it's just too expensive and time consuming, and they quickly outlevel that gear. 12k hp is usually the average you'll see in the 10-49 bracket just using quest rewards. You'll also notice a massive boost once you hit 40 and buy all your 40 PvP gear - you'll be incredibly powerful for a couple levels but as you level up your stats will decrease. Edited by Jenzali

To answer the OP's question. Yes, gear scales with your stats, but it doesn't matter anywhere near how much it matters in the level 50 bracket.

I disagree, gear matters just as much in 10-49, but not as much as the level gap of trained abilites.

The reason why people think that gear is not as important is because TTK in 10-49 is (usually) longer than in 50 wz.

depends on the class. I was illustrating a point. I think you need to be between 15-20 to apply gear to all slots.

Well, gear is additive, but your base stats are modified based on your level (Naked level 49 = close to normal naked stats, naked level 10 = about 900 of each stat to compensate for the fact they only have like 200 of each stat). I would imagine that it would be hard to make Lv 10 in 10 greens to equal Lv 49 in Lv 49 greens AND Lv 10 in 10 purples equal to Lv 49 in Lv 49 purples.

I disagree, gear matters just as much in 10-49, but not as much as the level gap of trained abilites.

The reason why people think that gear is not as important is because TTK in 10-49 is (usually) longer than in 50 wz.

It matters only a fraction of what it does in the 50 bracket. You can't deny that in the under-50 bracket gear, while stlil mattering to some extent, matters much less than it does at 50. A fully "twinked" jugg won't be able to smash you for half your HP if you are a level 20 in greens, like he can easily do if you were in the 50 bracket and he was full War Hero and you were in Recruit. A fully "twinked" sorc healer won't be able to crit 2K higher than what you hit him for when he uses his self heal, etc.

What level 10 class can beat a non brain dead 49?

Level 10 snipers in purple will pewpowpew you for 3k/5k pretty consistently. If that 49 is in greens, as is the premise of this disbelief, that character would only have 9-12k health.

Edited by Blasphemerr

So I have a lvl14 Slinger that I just started on PoT5, it's my first toon on that server so I don't have any gear or optimizations for legacy and I regularly finish wz with 350+dps and that is in all greens with no ear/implants. It's important to have gear your char lvl more than anything else, not optimized to purp for everything. Reason is bolster is lvl based and does the calculation based on level. That an skill matters...duh. If you are new and never run that class don't expect to have an optimized rotation when you don't even understand the class or the cds or know how to hotkey build your class. However, if you can do all these things high level players can be owned easily.

Sadly, In 10-49 WZs gear matters much more than 50 WZs, especially. If most of your gear is not at least blue and within 3 levels from your level, you will see you effectiveness go down the drain.

Also, when you get above level 45, if you invest in purple gear and get it augmented (kits level 4-5), you can do insane stuff that won't be remotely possible in a 50 WZs like soloing three people, dishing more damage/heal than half your team. I was just leveling a lighting/corruption hybrid sorcerer and at levels 47 through 49 (mostly purple gear) I was semi indestructible in the WZs, running 2-3K above everyone. At level 49 I had 1,501 willpower, while mostly everyone's main attribute was around 1,100.

Level 10 snipers in purple will pewpowpew you for 3k/5k pretty consistently. If that 49 is in greens, as is the premise of this disbelief, that character would only have 9-12k health.

Lol so many misconceptions going around about under-50 warzones. Yes snipers can hit hard but it's extremely rare for anyone to get a 5K hit or heal in an under-50 warzone. Also, the average HP in that bracket is 12K. I've never seen anyone with 9K. A guy went in naked as a joke, with his only his weapons, and he still had 11K. The point is that under-50 PVP's main balance issue is abilities unlocked, not gear. And yes, a level 49 would have to be pretty much comatose to be beaten in a one on one by a level 10.