What's up with the non-RP names in RP-servers?

Gereorth

I don't know anyone's name until they introduce themselves (Nameplates off) and if their name seems a little bizarre I put it down to a nickname or an alien naming convention. Players have control over what they allow to break their immersion, role-players in particular.

I was in a Cantina last night listening to some anal RPer (light side) tell another RPer (dark side) that they can't talk about 'Master and Apprentices' as the (("Rule of Two hasn't been implemented in the era of TOR")). Good gods, crap like that is far more immersion breaking than coming across a character who goes by the moniker 'TheFlasher'. So from one RPer to another, can I say 'get over yourself'.

Edited by KariTalRathe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to rp and found it quite fun at times. I don't do it anymore, but what I can't understand, is why do people have to be so mean, and spoil the fun for people who like to rp? Why not just respect that they rp and let them be? Why deliberately antagonize them? I've seen several posts on here from people that are now going to deliberately bother the rp crowd by making stupid names.

I blame Bioware/EA for this. Why have a distinction if you're not going to enforce it. Just..why bother. Have pve and pvp then. Only have RP, if you plan on putting on a naming policy and rules to support the people who are role playing.

I just can't see why people have fun ruining other people's fun. If you want to ruin someone's day, go play on a pvp server. They kill each other for that kind of crap all the time. And they like it. :cool:

I used to rp and found it quite fun at times. I don't do it anymore, but what I can't understand, is why do people have to be so mean, and spoil the fun for people who like to rp? Why not just respect that they rp and let them be? Why deliberately antagonize them? I've seen several posts on here from people that are now going to deliberately bother the rp crowd by making stupid names.

I blame Bioware/EA for this. Why have a distinction if you're not going to enforce it. Just..why bother. Have pve and pvp then. Only have RP, if you plan on putting on a naming policy and rules to support the people who are role playing.

I just can't see why people have fun ruining other people's fun. If you want to ruin someone's day, go play on a pvp server. They kill each other for that kind of crap all the time. And they like it. :cool:

Its a mindset Luna

Its no different then the idiots that get to max level and then go gank level 10s in the older MMORPGs

Its no different then the hoardes of morons in Ultima Online that exploited bugs to break into peoples houses and rob them blind.

Some people are unable to feel good about themselves unless they are ruining everything for someone else.

Yes its childish and moronic

And sadly on the internet where everyone acts like they indestructable and 7'2" and 400lbs, its even worse.

For the most part you just put the people on ignore and move on.

Sadly for those still on the imaginary RP servers of TOR, the letters RP actually attract the bottom feeder crowd.

But hey, its not like anyone forwarned EA about this in closed beta, when the discussion of servers came up.

Oh wait, thats right, we did!

I also hate the stupid names people come up with but I don't understand why anyone would make such a big deal about it. There is no naming policy. Why waste your time reporting non-RPish names??

My advice is to just play the game and have fun. Turn off the nameplate as someone else suggested. Ignore the people you find offensive.

Or maybe this thread is at fault for bringing it to the attention of the masses ?

I learned something really disturbing on SWTOR the other night and if I started a thread on the subject you can bet your bottom dollar that it would have the same effect. Obviously I can't say what it was as the grievers would use it. It would cause a lot of stress.

OT I have a character and i can tell that she has been /ignored by many people due to the general chat convos been all broken up. Now to all the people who just run around disliking names and ignoring said people , have you ever thought of asking why they are called what they are ? You might find out that they indeed have a reason and they might even role play that said character. Just a thought for you and no I won't say what my name is on that character because it will bring more negative attention to her.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I rolled on a RP server for the mature playerbase. In every MMO I've played I've always found the community to be far more helpful and useful on an RP server. I personally do not or very rarely RP myself but I am friends with many of those who do on my server. My character name may not fit within the "norm" of RPing but the way I RP with it is no different then the way a person with a normal name might.

I've only had one small issue on my server in regards to my character name and it was evenly smoothed over with Customer Service. You might be named "Captain Thoern Tyner" and I might be named "Jedi Consular Trainer". You might RP as a nefarious smuggler who lost both his parents in an Imperial assault on Ilum and I might RP as a helpful NPC that enjoys assisting new players on their missions. Maybe that's how I enjoy the game? Who are you to decide?

I enjoy playing on Begeren Colony and I respect the RPers there. I will never attempt to troll, interfere, or be an outright annoyance to them. They are the very community of people I rolled on the server to be around. Mature players who are not filling chat with random gibberish and spam posts and are not incessantly trying to troll new players who ask questions in General Chat. I have the utmost respect for the RPers on my server and always will.

I like my character name and I appreciate that the old school RPers on my server have accepted me and I cherish the fact we get along well and are continually building a thriving community for those to come.

While personally I think your name is a little silly for a RP server especially with the knowledge that you attempt to emulate an NPC, there is a lot of leeway with names especially in Starwars, where a lot of characters use nicknames. For example The Defenestrator which is a famous bountyhunter. It's not that weird for someone's name to be "Trainer" especially with the thousands/millions of different cultures in Starwars all with different naming conventions.

That said, some names are just picked deliberately to try to be annoying to RP'ers, like some of the little kids in this topic showed (the "I'm going to pick a terrible name just to spite RP'ers" responses).

Edited by LordExozone

I recall someone showing the rules and in those rules saying no elite speak names, ect period. Wasn't even RP server based.

Has that rule changed or just never been enforced?

They have a habit of not enforcing their own ToS for the game. They really don't have the staff to do it anyway. Look at the average ticket response times, which are measured in weeks now as it is. If they were to actually enforce the ToS when people report violations, that would easily change to a month or longer.

This is their first MMO, and it shows at all levels.

No naming policy.

ORLY?

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

Or maybe this thread is at fault for bringing it to the attention of the masses ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Yeah OP, how dare you make a thread pointing out a problem.

Dont you know your suppose to stick your head in a the sand and let others behave in any manner they want,

because they are that special little flower!

Shesh, the nerve of pointing out a issue in hopes it brings light to issue and creates change removing the problem!

*yes, that was HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY Sarcasm as blaming someone because they brought light to a problem about the dumbest thing ive heard today!!!*

OT I have a character and i can tell that she has been /ignored by many people due to the general chat convos been all broken up. Now to all the people who just run around disliking names and ignoring said people , have you ever thought of asking why they are called what they are ? You might find out that they indeed have a reason and they might even role play that said character.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

ROFL!

This reminds me of a true story from me teen ager years

Knew a guy that managed a restraunt and knew one of his workers

One day guy shows up to open kitchen and worker no where to be seen

Guy waits 30 minutes in case person running late but nope, no show

Guy calls worker at home (who is still fast asleep), waking him up

"Hey, your late, you coming to work?"

Worker "oh damn, yep yep im on my way"

They hang up and worker rolls over and goes back to sleep

Next day worker shows up for work to find out hes been fired and THROWS A FIT

(and im not joking, this is what the conversation was)

Worker "how can you fire me???"

Manager "You missed your shift after I called and woke you up, I need dependable workers"

Worker "I am dependable, if you had just taken the time to speak to me to make sure I was awake, I would have shown up"

And there you have it, it was really the managers fault for not taking the time to find out why the worker was breaking the rules, according to x employee.

Doesnt that sound awfully familiar (points at above pink quote)

I have a idea, how about we stop asking others to pander to us and we all just follow the rules or accept the consequences (going on ignore) when you dont.

Seems pretty straight forward to me

Edited by Kalfear

I don't know anyone's name until they introduce themselves (Nameplates off) and if their name seems a little bizarre I put it down to a nickname or an alien naming convention. Players have control over what they allow to break their immersion, role-players in particular.

I was in a Cantina last night listening to some anal RPer (light side) tell another RPer (dark side) that they can't talk about 'Master and Apprentices' as the (("Rule of Two hasn't been implemented in the era of TOR")). Good gods, crap like that is far more immersion breaking than coming across a character who goes by the moniker 'TheFlasher'. So from one RPer to another, can I say 'get over yourself'.

You have a good way of looking at it. I'm willing to bet you have a healthy blood pressure level.

One reason for some of the weird names (one which I am guilty of myself) was the server merges. Prior to the merge, one of the servers I played on saw me with 'original' (well, at least immersive) names for my toons. When all the toons were shifted to the new mega-servers, the 'Star Warsy' names I had given to the toons I most favored were lost to someone else.

Oh well. It happens. I realized this, and knew nothing would change it. Suck it up, choose a new name, right? Well, after several attempts, at names that would still fit, I gave up in frustration, and gave the characters names that were not 'Star Warsy' in the least. Did I do it to annoy other players? Not at all. But I am far from being a 'rules lawyer' - I am certainly not going to dictate to others what they can or can't name their toons, and after a certain number of failed attempts at retaining my Legacy's 'theme', I stopped caring about the names fitting the setting. However, this is an RP server we're talking about, so I make no attempts to initiate RP with these toons. While I feel that names aren't the huge deal that the OP does, I realize that trying to RP with a decidedly 'non-Star Warsy' might be annoying for others...so I don't force them into that corner.

As long as a name isn't truly offensive (like a certain Austrian corporal, or something to do with hot-button current issues, for example), it really doesn't matter. 'Darth Jumping'Hamster' (no, never seen this name, but I needed an example) might make me sigh and roll my eyes. 'Cipher Agent Secret'Squirrel' (I am sure one exists somewhere out in the SWTOR multiverse) dates the player (and me as well, seeing as how I would recognize the name) might make me snort in amusement. And let's be real...if you weren't prepared for all the 'Smurf' names slapped onto Chiss toons (and I have seen a whole bunch), you were either naive or fooling yourself, RP server or otherwise. But again, hardly worth a blood pressure spike. I have other things in life that I can allow to destroy my health without stressing over a name assigned to someone else's pixels, thanks very much.

Yeah OP, how dare you make a thread pointing out a problem.

Dont you know your suppose to stick your head in a the sand and let others behave in any manner they want,

because they are that special little flower!

Shesh, the nerve of pointing out a issue in hopes it brings light to issue and creates change removing the problem!

*yes, that was HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY Sarcasm as blaming someone because they brought light to a problem about the dumbest thing ive heard today!!!*

ROFL!

This reminds me of a true story from me teen ager years

Knew a guy that managed a restraunt and knew one of his workers

One day guy shows up to open kitchen and worker no where to be seen

Guy waits 30 minutes in case person running late but nope, no show

Guy calls worker at home (who is still fast asleep), waking him up

"Hey, your late, you coming to work?"

Worker "oh damn, yep yep im on my way"

They hang up and worker rolls over and goes back to sleep

Next day worker shows up for work to find out hes been fired and THROWS A FIT

(and im not joking, this is what the conversation was)

Worker "how can you fire me???"

Manager "You missed your shift after I called and woke you up, I need dependable workers"

Worker "I am dependable, if you had just taken the time to speak to me to make sure I was awake, I would have shown up"

And there you have it, it was really the managers fault for not taking the time to find out why the worker was breaking the rules, according to x employee.

Doesnt that sound awfully familiar (points at above pink quote)

I have a idea, how about we stop asking others to pander to us and we all just follow the rules or accept the consequences (going on ignore) when you dont.

Seems pretty straight forward to me

Very funny , but anyways you can talk about your woes on the forum yes for sure but you do suffer the consequences if bad people read it and get ideas in their heads. Why moan about it ? I think you missed the point and now my new " pink " quote is out of context.

As for your lovelly space filling example , well I'm not complaining for a possible load of silly people / ignoring me at all. As the people who have/ ignored me for a name they don't understand or ask about is no reason to do so , it's their loss. Nice waste of your time to take two quotes from various pages of mine for nothing.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I am also on an RP server and I agree with you. However, who are you, myself or anyone else for that matter to tell someone who or what they can't RP as? If someone wants to RP as a teletubbie, who are we to stop them?

You've missed the point. He's complaining about names, not how people choose to RP.

I have a few toons on the RP servers.

Once I was stuck doing a quest mission where the boss was pwning me bad.

a lvl 40 Jugg was nearby and i whsipered to him "hey can you please help me with this boss I need to kill? just make sure I do not die, I dont need you to kill him just watch my back incase i start losing the fight bad"

His response: "I am sorry but my Sith jugg does not socialize AT ALL with non-sith species therefore it would break my immersion to help you."

My reply: "Look, I respect your immersion I just need someone to make sure i dont die this is pretty close it will only take literally 3 min of your time."

his reply: " my sith does NOT socialize with non sith. You are now on my ignore for breaking my immersion and devaluaing my gameplay"

I put out a help call on general. a few seconds later a sith sorc named "Twinkletoesandcupcakes" answered me and said "hey m8 I will be happy to help!" 2 min later he was there, stayed with me till I finished my boss, gave me some gear he didnt need and wished me well.

Point is, a LOT of rp'ers are total douchebags, while a lot of "f2p teens with non rp names" will bend over backwards to help you.

I was playing my IA and put in Gen Chat, Imperial Intelligence has eyes and ears everywhere, we know all.

A guy replied your a dumb***** . others didnt join in RPing but told him if he didnt like the RPing he could leave the server since it was *shocker* and RP server. I try once in a while but my guild does not RP sadly.

So since the F2P launch (well, a few weeks later actualy) I seem to come across more and more names whom don't suit in with the RP-servers. Let it be names like "Xxsithstalkerxx" or "Diehardsithlord". So I am the kind (or mean one, depends from whose perspective you look at) that's reporting the names. So, after a while, reporting several names from day to day, week to week. I tend to get a message that if I keep harrassing people by reporting their names, I could recieve a penalty, or a x-hour ban.

Since when did they change the naming-policy, to let every kind of name allowed on a RP-server? This somewhat feel like a slap in the face. I joined a RP-PvE server with a reason. And that is after all to RP, and expect RP-names. A more mature player-base (that's just mostly a gamble, but it tends to happen). I am quite disapointed in that. And annoyed. But I am probably overreacting. But I felt I had to give this a notice.

what server and name so i can report you every time i see you for no reason because i am bored?

Here is the deal. No matter what type of server you are on there will be tools and there are all types of tools as well. People that you do not like, you do not have to group with. People who spam chat with stuff you don't like, you put on ignore and poof you don't see it.

The community makes the server and you the player makes the community.

I have a few toons on the RP servers.

Once I was stuck doing a quest mission where the boss was pwning me bad.

a lvl 40 Jugg was nearby and i whsipered to him "hey can you please help me with this boss I need to kill? just make sure I do not die, I dont need you to kill him just watch my back incase i start losing the fight bad"

His response: "I am sorry but my Sith jugg does not socialize AT ALL with non-sith species therefore it would break my immersion to help you."

My reply: "Look, I respect your immersion I just need someone to make sure i dont die this is pretty close it will only take literally 3 min of your time."

his reply: " my sith does NOT socialize with non sith. You are now on my ignore for breaking my immersion and devaluaing my gameplay"

I put out a help call on general. a few seconds later a sith sorc named "Twinkletoesandcupcakes" answered me and said "hey m8 I will be happy to help!" 2 min later he was there, stayed with me till I finished my boss, gave me some gear he didnt need and wished me well.

Point is, a LOT of rp'ers are total douchebags, while a lot of "f2p teens with non rp names" will bend over backwards to help you.

LOL, how is that douchebaggery?

Frankly reads to me he went out of his way to explain the situation for you.

On previous game Role Play servers he would have just acted superior and spouted off about how your species is beneath his notice and hes full of contempt towards you.

ITS CALLED ROLEPLAY

Roleplay doesnt mean is actually a server of carebears (as pvpers like to proclaim)

Sometimes a person RPs a hero of the people and would help you

other times a person RPs someone that holds lessers in comtempt

No douchebag actions being shown in your example

Though coming to the forums to call him a douchebag because you didnt get your non RP way at the cost of his immersion is a rather douchebag action to be sure.

FYI: Id never play the superior race RP as Im a very social player. But that doesnt mean the other player, who went out of his way to tell the person im quoting , was wrong.

As the oild saying goes, to each their own

You complaining about how his RP didnt fit your desires is akin to someone rolling on a PVP server and then complaining on forums when they got killed in a fight they didnt want to fight.

Dont like RPers, dont roll of a RP server

Dont like PVP, dont roll on a PVP Server

To me, the ultimate douche move is to roll on servers that have rule sets you are not ready to embrace fully and then coming to the forums to complain about those rule sets.

Your clearly NOT a RPer, so why wouldnt you just roll on a PVE/PVP server rather then a RP designated server?

Dont answer, your words have more then loudly already answered the question.

I got told as I was trying to RP that RP is not for gen chat and to take my RP in person as they didn't want to hear it. I was like too bad this is an RP server, deal.

The General channel is often a poor choice for RP, especially on Fleet where it is used for trade and game logistics. General is zone wide, which means you're listening to someone who might be standing in a valley at the far end of the planet; that's an immersion buster for anything other than "planet wide distress call" type RP traffic. Still, I would welcome RP in Voss General for example. But Fleet General is de facto OOC. There you're better off using a custom channel (just /cjoin rp and tell your friends to do the same) or at least use /say and emotes.

Not sure this will be helpful or even read on page 3 (or 5! Popular thread!), but thought I'd share a story.

I've always rolled on an RP server, no matter what game I played. Used to RP pretty heavy, too (did on this game till my guild left en masse and I stayed, but I digress). On WoW, I had a gnome named Kneenibbler. This name got reported, and this was back when Blizz DID enforce naming policy. So my name got reported, but it was a grey enough area apparently that they didn't just change it, they had a CSR talk to me. When asked if I had a valid RP reason for my name, like most RPers I was more than happy to share my RP story behind the name and character. For a little more than half an hour. With a CSR. In the end, he said I could keep the name, and as far as I know that little guy is still out there somewhere.

Moral of the story; not all the "non RP names" are non RP names. Now, some of the ones here are pretty blatant... but don't unilateraly declare all who wear such names to be unfit for your server.

And yes, I have a toon in this game with a "Non RP name." And even though I don't RP currently, I still made sure to have at least a brief backstory on why he wears it ;)

Edited by Caonedh

So since the F2P launch (well, a few weeks later actualy) I seem to come across more and more names whom don't suit in with the RP-servers. Let it be names like "Xxsithstalkerxx" or "Diehardsithlord". So I am the kind (or mean one, depends from whose perspective you look at) that's reporting the names. So, after a while, reporting several names from day to day, week to week. I tend to get a message that if I keep harrassing people by reporting their names, I could recieve a penalty, or a x-hour ban.

Since when did they change the naming-policy, to let every kind of name allowed on a RP-server? This somewhat feel like a slap in the face. I joined a RP-PvE server with a reason. And that is after all to RP, and expect RP-names. A more mature player-base (that's just mostly a gamble, but it tends to happen). I am quite disapointed in that. And annoyed. But I am probably overreacting. But I felt I had to give this a notice.

Im on Obipwn try to report me. If you look at server select for RP, it specifically says no naming conventioons enforced. So yes you are harrassing other players.