The Clone War's Canon Conundrum

JBFett

See I'd consider that bad writing. How does she remember she's a Nightsister? She was still an infant when they took her. Why do the Nightsister's suddenly have to bargain with slaver's by giving up one of their own? Why don't they just kill or enslave the slavers? They ride Rancor's and have the Darkside for god's sake. Why do the Nightsister's even allow MALES to walk on their planet without immediately enslaving them? That goes against every portrayal of the Nightsister's formerly shown.

Like I said, it just seems like it was a way to shoe-horn the Nightsister's in, and then base the rest of their series main plot line on this shoe-horn. There were better ways to incorporate the Nightsister than changing Ventriss' backstory. Their were better ways to introduce Savage than changing Ventriss' backstory. Also, no she doesn't have Nightsister written all over her, she has Rattataki written all over her. You know, the race that is in THIS game, and now suddenly doesn't exist in any other Canon source.

Your a serious nitpicker...

She literally does have Nightsister written all over her, you know, the tattoos!

I disagree, if anything almost all of Dark Horse's Star Wars lines over the past 20 years have been moderate-good, I suggest you pick up Legacy, Dark Times, and Republic just to name a few stand outs. The only notably bad one they've done was Dark Empire from when they first obtained the license.

Thats three out of nearly dozens.

The many times they brought back Darth Maul were all horrible, the lost tribe has been getting extremely bad reviews. I think IGN gave some of those comics 4's and 5's out of 10s. Blood Ties has been really losing its originality.

This is going off topic, but I seriously feel like you think your opinion is everyone else's opinion.

Thats three out of nearly dozens.

The many times they brought back Darth Maul were all horrible, the lost tribe has been getting extremely bad reviews. I think IGN gave some of those comics 4's and 5's out of 10s. Blood Ties has been really losing its originality.

This is going off topic, but I seriously feel like you think your opinion is everyone else's opinion.

lol you obviously don't know anything about Dark Horse comics. *face palm* They've brought back Darth Maul ONCE, it was in Infinity Tales, which was non-canon. The Clone Wars was then like "Hey that sounds like a cool idea! Lets do it! Derp!", and thus made it canon.

lol you obviously don't know anything about Dark Horse comics. *face palm* They've brought back Darth Maul ONCE, it was in Infinity Tales, which was non-canon. The Clone Wars was then like "Hey that sounds like a cool idea! Lets do it! Derp!", and thus made it canon.

They brought him back three times actually, once against Ben Kenobi, once against Vader and another time when he ambushed Skywalker as a hologram, four times if you count his Proxy cameo in TFU.

They brought him back three times actually, once against Ben Kenobi, once against Vader and another time when he ambushed Skywalker as a hologram, four times if you count his Proxy cameo in TFU.

But wasn't the one against Kenobi an illusion, and the one against Vader a doppelganger?

See I'd consider that bad writing. How does she remember she's a Nightsister? She was still an infant when they took her. Why do the Nightsister's suddenly have to bargain with slaver's by giving up one of their own? Why don't they just kill or enslave the slavers? They ride Rancor's and have the Darkside for god's sake. Why do the Nightsister's even allow MALES to walk on their planet without immediately enslaving them? That goes against every portrayal of the Nightsister's formerly shown.

Like I said, it just seems like it was a way to shoe-horn the Nightsister's in, and then base the rest of their series main plot line on this shoe-horn. There were better ways to incorporate the Nightsister than changing Ventriss' backstory. Their were better ways to introduce Savage than changing Ventriss' backstory. Also, no she doesn't have Nightsister written all over her, she has Rattataki written all over her. You know, the race that is in THIS game, and now suddenly doesn't exist in any other Canon source.

I agree with you on that point. This is the way I see it though, the Nighsisters were kinda shoehorned into TCW, but now their here its pretty epic. And I still like Ventress being a Nightsister, even though Nightsisters came first. So what if she's not a Rattatki - canon is that she was mistaken for one because the species are similar and she looks like one. IMO Dathomirian Nightsisters are cooler than Rattataki. I still agree though that the transition could have been done better. However I disagree about not making her a Nightsister.

However the EU is far from entirely free of poor writing. IMO Yuzavuzha Vong, Palpatine Reborn etc are bad stories. But thats kinda irrelevant, just putting it out there.

My general opinion is yes, they have made some errors. But really people should take the time to focus on the overwhelming good they've done for the EU and should be thanking them for it. They should also bare in mind that these guys have little obligation to the EU, and they've gone above and beyond in representing it.

Actually there is no conundrum.

On the grade scale, there is G canon which is the movies. That is the top. No one can break the established canon there (well except Georgie). Then there is T canon. I assume that stands for Television, that is second in command. Clone Wars falls into this catagory. This trumps all but G canon.

Then there is C canon. That is all the EU stuff. T canon can totally disregard this level and so frequently does. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the EU canon established, it is either bumped to S canon or will have to retcon itself to conform to Clone Wars.

Sorry.

Actually there is no conundrum.

On the grade scale, there is G canon which is the movies. That is the top. No one can break the established canon there (well except Georgie). Then there is T canon. I assume that stands for Television, that is second in command. Clone Wars falls into this catagory. This trumps all but G canon.

Then there is C canon. That is all the EU stuff. T canon can totally disregard this level and so frequently does. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the EU canon established, it is either bumped to S canon or will have to retcon itself to conform to Clone Wars.

Sorry.

I consider it a conundrum, cause I don't see how anyone who calls themselves a star Wars fan can sit there and be alright with the Clone Wars erasing superior material, simply for the sake of making money off a children's TV-Show. :mad:

For whatever bad some people say that it is, I'd just like to point out that there's still a lot that doesn't go over pre-existing canon. Hell, a lot of it fits in rather nicely with the movies. To be blunt, I'd much rather have the series than not at all. If some canon from the comics or books gets messed with, it's a shame, but I won't lose any sleep.

I consider it a conundrum, cause I don't see how anyone who calls themselves a star Wars fan can sit there and be alright with the Clone Wars erasing superior material, simply for the sake of making money off a children's TV-Show. :mad:

Again don't forget, its your opinion now. Some fans are fine with it, others are not....I mean its the same way with comics really at times.

'Superior' is subjective - I'm not saying its not but some people will like it and some will prefer TCW. What the above poster said about canon is true, TCW takes precedence and Lucas & Filoni are not really obliged to listen to it.

However the fact is on the major scale they do, they've introduced entirely EU concepts into the series and then tweaked them a litte (not erase) I'm happy with that, and I think other people should be more happy about that too.

'Superior' is subjective - I'm not saying its not but some people will like it and some will prefer TCW. What the above poster said about canon is true, TCW takes precedence and Lucas & Filoni are not really obliged to listen to it.

However the fact is on the major scale they do, they've introduced entirely EU concepts into the series and then tweaked them a litte (not erase) I'm happy with that, and I think other people should be more happy about that too.

No they do have an obligation to it because Fillion has said that he 'cares and has a lot of knowledge about the EU". That along with the promise that multiple representatives of the EU have said they try to "create a consistent, and non contradictory timeline". That right there is them giving themselves an obligation to the Star Wars Galaxy, and to me, as a fan, to pull as few retcons as possible.

No they do have an obligation to it because Fillion has said that he 'cares and has a lot of knowledge about the EU". That along with the promise that multiple representatives of the EU have said they try to "create a consistent, and non contradictory timeline". That right there is them giving themselves an obligation to the Star Wars Galaxy, and to me, as a fan, to pull as few retcons as possible.
Well I interpret that as not Filoni making a promise, but consoling fans by saying he knows what he's doing. He's not saying he will be completely true to the EU in all circumstances, nor is he saying its his duty to, he's just gonna bear the EU in mind when writing the stories. The second quote is well, in favour of retcons. If two stories conflict, e.g. Ventress is Dathormirian, Ventress is Rattataki. They retcon it to keep up a 'consistent and non contradictory timeline', sounds to me like that line is attempting to justify retconning in Star Wars.

Now I don't know much about the comics and that, but IMO the retconning they have done doesn't seem that bad. And they more than make up for it by actually incorporating pure EU characters and planets, (such as Asajj Ventress) into the TCW and giving them an extra sense of importance. Think about, Ventress is now T-Canon, instead of C-Canon - not only does that protect her as a character, but it gives her validity in the Star Wars universe as well as popularity as a major Star Wars character, and in George's opinion (if that means anything) she is part of the 'real' Star Wars universe. And the same goes for everything else. Thats the way I see it.

P.S. On a lighter note: Happy Life Day! :D