Playable Wookiee

Thyvokka

While researching being able to play a wookiee in game, I came across this. Many SWTOR gamers have questions about the race choices in the game and why we can only play certain races. One of the biggest questions “Why can’t I play a Wookie?”

Alex Freed is quoted as saying “You know, the reason for our humanoid range of species, it’s a matter of relatability to a large degree. The further you get from human the more difficult it is for players to get into their mindset, the more difficult it is for all the other characters in the game to relate to them the same way. There are enormous technical obstacles, there is building all the lip synching, all the emotion into the face of the human is incredibly difficult and time consuming, doing that for something like a Wookiee – and we couldn’t half do it, we couldn’t let Wookiees be only a third as expressive as humans. At that point we’re just giving up.” “It’s not the aesthetic of it, it’s the whole package. It’s being the barbarian from some planet who is stronger and wilder than everyone else and who is only half understood. That’s what people love about Wookiees. We don’t have anything against that storytelling, it’s not a moral opposition to not having inhuman characters but in order to do it right you need to write a story around that character.”

So just because one guy thinks a wookiee story line wouldn't be FUN for FANS of idk the f*ing Wookiees... We as FANS don't get to play one of our favorite Races? Part of the endearing hertage that IS Star Wars? I think that WE THE FANS are already asking for What we WANT and WE WANT WOOKIEES... I am sick of this Billy Corgan mentality of I will give you what I think you want.. Rather than what you paid me to experience... There is a reason he went from Stadiums to playing clubs... I don't want to see SWTOR take the same path. Problem solved, Problem staying solved, WOOKIES LEAD THE WAY! :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said it's very time consuming for a minority. Also, They said somewhere else they are not sure how many people will listen to there wookie and not skip the dialog. I already do that for the alien in game, I've heard enough "Wompa Popota" for a lifetime.

Finally, as a wookie, you'll have no romance option, or some real weird. And BW may want to change some part of the story, because you are different than anything else you would play.

That's a LOT of work, and if they just add the wookie with no work on it, people will whine. So they rather not add it.

There are enormous technical obstacles, there is building all the lip synching, all the emotion into the face of the human is incredibly difficult and time consuming, doing that for something like a Wookiee – and we couldn’t half do it, we couldn’t let Wookiees be only a third as expressive as humans. At that point we’re just giving up.

I notice how you conveniently left this part out. You should have a comment on all of his answer not just the end. What he is saying is you have to have a FULL working toon. With all the emotion that goes with it. To be ABLE to build a story around the character. It's not that they don't want to or think a good story can be done around a character its that they feel the character would be incomplete with only half of the things a human could do.

Edited by shadowrouge

fairly certain it was established that any playable race would have to be capable of speaking basic. Wookies can't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

Except for Ralrracheen :D But that was because he had a speech impediment.

I really do understand why they chose to leave out the less-human races....just playing through the cinematics. Honestly every time I talk to Bowdaar I want to mute the game.

Also, as much as some people love the stranger species and want to play them, just look at other games and what people play. Arenanet came out and said "*** guys, why's everyone playing a human guardian, we put so much more work in the more interesting races!" That's just how it goes - same reason more people are humans, blood elves, and night elves than anything else in WoW.

I like how Cathar can speak the Queens english with that mouth full of razor teeth too.... LOL Stupid ****.

FYI ...the common tongue in the SW EU is "Galactic Basic" or "Basic". Teeth are not the inhibitor. It's the shape of the palate and the way the tongue moves. ;)

Because We should have more rail space games and romances. That's WAY more important. I like how they say "It would be too hard". Guess SOE developers are just more skilled?

Really, huh, and I don't remember SWG being FULLY VOICED with FULLY VOICED Cinematics :rolleyes:

thats because we didnt need all that hokus pokus RP crap. The game did well, being a "game", with ship 2 do.

The game is a mmoRPg. It's origin's are in PnP RPgs and MUD/MOOs which have their origin in Zork which had it's origin in Advent(ure). Without the advent of RPgs you wouldn't even have mmoRPgs. MMORPG = PnP-RPG+MUD/MOO. :cool:

Edited by Urael

The game is a mmoRPg. It's origin's are in PnP RPgs and MUD/MOOs which have their origin in Zork which had it's origin in Advent(ure). Without the advent of RPgs you wouldn't even have mmoRPgs. MMORPG = PnP-RPG+MUD/MOO. :cool:

ya fine wateva. So we cant rp as wookiees cause the dungeon master says so. i get it.

The argument against wookies is the same argument they have used for a lot of species that thye are not human enough and we wont be able to releate with them or they wont make sence on the story arc.. Personaly its the biggest thing I dislike about this game is the lack of playable species. But apparently until loads of people quit and site this as the reason they wont care. Edited by Izorii

The argument against wookies is the same argument they have used for a lot of species that thye are not human enough and we wont be able to releate with them or they wont make sence on the story arc.. Personaly its the biggest thing I dislike about this game is the lack of playable species. But apparently until loads of people quit and site this as the reason they wont care.

I can relate to a wookiee better then a smurf, tenticle head, the race of blind people or the thunder cats. BW's reasons are very thin imo.