Any reason to play scoundrel over Shadow anymore?

JaingSkiratapwns

I've played scoundrel pretty much since the start of the game, and I really like the class. I also have a jedi shadow, and it seems like everything I do on my scoundrel (aside from healing obviously) shadow does it better. I can get as good of spike out of shadow technique as scrapper, it defensive CDs are better, and the Kinetic/Balance hybrid is just beast. What reason is there to even play scoundrel anymore?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadow is pretty much better in every way right now, but playing a Scoundrel is like betting on the future. Expect buffs to scoundrel and nerfs (most likely hybrid spec will be nerfed and cause a drop in shadow players) to shadows. In the meantime, they still make for one of the best PvP healers.

While it's important to note that shadows never, ever

kick privates or shoot people in the back with a shotgun.

Probably, one of the main things to note, is that a shadow

will not heal another person. No green healy animations

from a shadow.

Scoundrel: green healies, dirty kicks, sucker punch/backblasts,

robot/biologic long cc's

Shadow: pole sabers (but no pole dancing), can throw rocks and

whack things with it's pole saber (sages have to keep their

saber in their pocket to throw rocks).

While I agree scoundrel definatly is cooler than shadow animations wise, that isn't the reason why I play a class. Healing doesn't really factor in either because I've never been a fan of healing. I play them because I like stealth offense, and it just seems that shadow has more going for it. As for the hybrid spec getting nerfed, it might, but its been around a while without being changed.

I like being the underdog, the weakest class, least played class, dont see many of us DPS'ing i can name about 10 on my server who dps as scrapper properly, and i like that fact, one day we will get a boost again and then we will be ready :cool:

While I agree scoundrel definatly is cooler than shadow animations wise, that isn't the reason why I play a class. Healing doesn't really factor in either because I've never been a fan of healing. I play them because I like stealth offense, and it just seems that shadow has more going for it. As for the hybrid spec getting nerfed, it might, but its been around a while without being changed.

I overwhelmingly play PvP on my Ops/Scoundrels, so that is the perspective I am writing from.

I prefer to think of healing as another offensive tool in our arsenal, not a defensive one. Although you can also spec as a primary healer, the hybrid Sawbones/Scrapper builds (even with just 7 points in Sawbones) retain a DPS focus while also building in extra survivability. Popping behind a node/column to throw down a heal gives you a huge edge in a lot of WZs. Starting with that additional tick of Upper Hand (courtesy of Sawbones talents) also gives you a huge edge in your opening rotation from Shoot First, because you can theoretically set it up to already have Pugnacity active with 1 Upper Hand stack granted.

The only WZ where a Shadow is better almost 100% of the time is Huttball. Between Resilience, Pull, Speed, Combat Technique, and all of the other Shadow abilities, this class just gives more to your team than a Scrapper.

But Scrappers still shine in the other WZs, as long as you are okay with staying as a Pug player. In Ranked gameplay, Shadows are currently just more desirable. But in pug gameplay, Scoundrels can better exploit the natural weaknesses of a pug team.

For example, Shadows can solo cap a node guarded by 2 opponents, but it takes a long time. Scrappers can pop all their CDs and really burst through defenders before help can arrive. In Ranked gameplay, this is less likely to be the case; a node might be guarded by a tank/off-healer pair, and a Scrapper just can't deal with that. But in pug WZs at any level, a Scrapper is the best class for taking down a node on your own.

I have been a Scrapper for about a half-year now. I can tell you, that I can absolutely wreek havoc on the battlefield. This is more from a randoms perspective though. I checked my stats, and our guild was 5-2 in ranked. Just to put that out there. I love randoms, because of the randomness of it :) I would really like to start a guide of some sort but I wouldn't know where to start. There's so much to cover I feel, and I've never used YouTube. I know depending on who your fighting, what your fighting, and what cooldowns you have up; tactics are always changing on the fly. Stealth or no stealth you should be able to beat JUST ABOUT anybody. Stealth just really tilts the scales in your favor, big time.

I have been a Scrapper for about a half-year now. I can tell you, that I can absolutely wreek havoc on the battlefield. This is more from a randoms perspective though. I checked my stats, and our guild was 5-2 in ranked. Just to put that out there. I love randoms, because of the randomness of it :) I would really like to start a guide of some sort but I wouldn't know where to start. There's so much to cover I feel, and I've never used YouTube. I know depending on who your fighting, what your fighting, and what cooldowns you have up; tactics are always changing on the fly. Stealth or no stealth you should be able to beat JUST ABOUT anybody. Stealth just really tilts the scales in your favor, big time.

You could try to look pointers how to organize a guide from this shadow PvP guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378888

If you have the table of content build somewhat like that you should cover all the ground relevant for the guide. I'm sure other expirienced scrappers would love to help you to build a guide !

You could try to look pointers how to organize a guide from this shadow PvP guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378888

If you have the table of content build somewhat like that you should cover all the ground relevant for the guide. I'm sure other expirienced scrappers would love to help you to build a guide !

Thanks, I have alot of homework to do. I can't promise anything soon, I have a fulltime job. I would like to lay it out in a situational manner, cuz that's where I think most Scrappers are struggling. What to do, at what times, and how your enemy or enemies react to what your doing.

I like being the underdog, the weakest class, least played class, dont see many of us DPS'ing i can name about 10 on my server who dps as scrapper properly, and i like that fact, one day we will get a boost again and then we will be ready :cool:

+200 attitude points :D

I agree. There's nothing worse than coincidentally being the FOTM class. I love being 'rare' too :)

If scrappers are genuinely lacking then we'll get buffed eventually. But I don't know if I agree... I usually take down everyone pretty damn fast, including assassins..

Also, I know you dont like healing, but scoundrel/operative healers are the best pvp healers in the game atm.

What's up Jaigger.

I can speak first-hand and say that this dude is one of the best Scrappers out there. BW really dropped the ball and is continuing to do so by not being forthcoming with any information on class balancing. As such, they are only hurting themselves by forcing people to either reroll or quit, and I don't imagine most people are rerolling.

I'm personally sticking with it. It's my favorite class, I've got one of everything else as it is (sadly) and just don't get as much enjoyment from them. I play reasonably well on my Scrapper and Op, so I'll continue to play it, but at BW's expense since I'm spending less time in game now.

BW had so much potential, and they address the wrong things: Focus/Rage buff? Yeah b/c that was needed. Bubble-stun? Not even going there. It's almost like no conscious thought goes into any of the decisions that are made when it comes to class balancing. Brain farts are one thing, but this is on a whole different level.

I don't see what the problem is. I just came off a match where I did 400k dmg, 21 killing blows, 3 solo kills. I think BW thinks I'm hacking I was wrecking stuff so bad. Just some funny things and funny people going on. People are probably reporting me, I've dropped so many that barely touch me. I circle strafe real tight around the opponent and sometimes they can't even target me before there dead.

What's up Jaigger.

I can speak first-hand and say that this dude is one of the best Scrappers out there. BW really dropped the ball and is continuing to do so by not being forthcoming with any information on class balancing. As such, they are only hurting themselves by forcing people to either reroll or quit, and I don't imagine most people are rerolling.

I'm personally sticking with it. It's my favorite class, I've got one of everything else as it is (sadly) and just don't get as much enjoyment from them. I play reasonably well on my Scrapper and Op, so I'll continue to play it, but at BW's expense since I'm spending less time in game now.

BW had so much potential, and they address the wrong things: Focus/Rage buff? Yeah b/c that was needed. Bubble-stun? Not even going there. It's almost like no conscious thought goes into any of the decisions that are made when it comes to class balancing. Brain farts are one thing, but this is on a whole different level.

I appreciate that, I really do. I sometimes have problems playing my shadow because I like scoundrel so much, its just I'm getting more on shadow than scoundrel now. Hopefully some buffs will draw me back to scoundrel soon, but until then.

I don't see what the problem is. I just came off a match where I did 400k dmg, 21 killing blows, 3 solo kills. I think BW thinks I'm hacking I was wrecking stuff so bad. Just some funny things and funny people going on. People are probably reporting me, I've dropped so many that barely touch me. I circle strafe real tight around the opponent and sometimes they can't even target me before there dead.

I do 400k+ nightly. I've done over 600k. Still doesn't mean the class doesn't need to be addressed.

I've seen mediocre scrappers/ops do well until they hit that wall and get a reality check, then they either go heals or reroll. The class needs to be addressed, period.

I do 400k+ nightly. I've done over 600k. Still doesn't mean the class doesn't need to be addressed.

I've seen mediocre scrappers/ops do well until they hit that wall and get a reality check, then they either go heals or reroll. The class needs to be addressed, period.

Are you speaking from a ranked warzone perspective when you say that scrapper needs to be adressed? I just don't want them to buff the class a whole lot, I guess. If they do, you will see much crying on these forums, because right now I feel pretty scary sometimes.

Are you speaking from a ranked warzone perspective when you say that scrapper needs to be adressed? I just don't want them to buff the class a whole lot, I guess. If they do, you will see much crying on these forums, because right now I feel pretty scary sometimes.

EXACTLY!

I think all around we need to be addressed, but it doesn't need I be huge. I think the drastic changes that the not-as-good scrappers are calling for are going in the wrong direction. I think we need better overall defense to make us last longer out of stealth, where we SHOULD be spending most of our time. I also think we need a very slight damage adjusent to put us up to part with classes go are now more bursty than us.

I've made a bunch of comments regarding what I find reasonable on both the scoundrel and Op forums. Can't paste them over, too tedious on an iPhone.

Ranked wzs we are overlooked bc as Jaigger said a shadow does everything better. We can still do amazingly well, which I find I can do and I'm sure you can if you say so. We still need to be addressed as our overall performance pales in comparison.

EXACTLY!

I think all around we need to be addressed, but it doesn't need I be huge. I think the drastic changes that the not-as-good scrappers are calling for are going in the wrong direction. I think we need better overall defense to make us last longer out of stealth, where we SHOULD be spending most of our time. I also think we need a very slight damage adjusent to put us up to part with classes go are now more bursty than us.

As far better overall defense, I think that's why they dangle slow-release medpac in the 3rd tier of sawbones. Yeah you have to give up FR to get it, but if survivability is what you want, this is the direction you go. It just would not be fair if you could get both. Personally I haven't tried it, I love FR too much, but I fought against one of these guys the other day and he kicked my arse. I thought he was a healer, next thing you know my face was on the ground, and a knife was poking be in the back. His SRMP and Pugnacity ticks were too much for me to overcome as I fought back.

Would it be crazy idea to give scoundrel (scrapper ?) some short of grapple ninja rope thingy ? Imagine vanguards harpoon, but instead of pulling the target to you, you leap to your target, and stun them for a couple of seconds, because the rope thingy ties them up...or just simply roots them instead of stun.

I mean scrapper is melee class, and only edge we have is stealth, once combat starts only way to reduce distance is either flashbang / combat stealth (don't want to use that for gap closer).

+1

Scoundrel has been calling me for the past weeks. I always like to roll the "weaker" classes and try and make them shine. I just can't wait to get to lvl 36. It's 36 for Shoot First right?

I'm also enjoying the versatility. I saved up my credits to get the field respec, so it's no problem to switch from heals to DPS as needed!

scoundrel needs 2 things

- to get the nerf taken off our damage from 1.1 (for everything but flechette round only bring that back by about 5%)

- To give scoundrel a mini stealth, like force camoflage the sentinels have

This gives them more survivability, more versatility and the numbers to keep up with current dps classes.

Reason for nerf removal if because of the game progression PVP gear is now on par with the damage we were doing.