The Republic: SWTOR is "Out of Control"

Peregrine_Falcon

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, adding Christian holidays to fantasy worlds is immersion breaking in my opinion. Life Day is all that was needed since it is in the Star Wars lore.

Life Day is all that was needed? Its not even Life Day bro they use Christmas lights on lawnmower speeders, i don't think wookies use them or wear red robes...you got your Christmas you just have to pay for it.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

Life Day isn't Christmas, it's a mix of Thanksgiving, Christmas and general Winter Holidays (from Hanukkah to Winter Solstice).

And no, none of that this is the reason they aren't doing an event, they haven't got the time/money to do an event is the reason why.

Life Day is all that was needed? Its not even Life Day bro they use Christmas lights on lawnmower speeders, i don't think wookies use them or wear red robes...you got your Christmas you just have to pay for it.

Indeed the "Xmas Santa Speeder" isn't really "Life Day" so much as Rudolph.

The game could come with a free sandwich and concubine and Gary would likely nit pick the choice of bread or the color of the woman's eyes.

I laugh at the idea that the space gear in the Cartel Market is shattering to the balance of the game. It's not hard to get the gear through other means and the space missions barely affect the metagame.

It's a shame. I love a lot of GBTV's shows. They are usually fun and enthusiastic. But Gannon just doesn't care and the show would be better off having a host that gives two shakes. At least Ed recused himself when something else grabbed his interest. To say nothing of the fact that his breakdown's of TOR's weaknesses and that of other games actually have something of substance and not sensationalism to them.

Edited by AlyxDinas

To say nothing of the fact that his breakdown's of TOR's weaknesses and that of other games actually have something of substance and not sensationalism to them.

Taurgrim consistantly hit SWTORs problems on the head from Day 1.

Although "They are charging $18 for this hunk of ****?!?!? :eek: This should be given away!" when talking about the Life Day speeder in this episode is pretty the absolute truth.

Edited by Goretzu

I can understand, that some people are not Christians or don't celebrate the Christmas holiday, and I respect that, but you can't tell me that you dont' want to see some sort of holiday and LIfe Day is a SW holiday and wouldn't be breaking anyone's immersion to celebrate it. Also there is the anniversary. The disappointing thing is that there are NO EVENTS, just crap to buy from their crap shop. And while I do celebrate christmas there isn't enough money or credits in this or the real world to persuade me to buy the ugly crap sold, like the speeder. Like someone said it looks like a snowblower that was rammed into a string of christmas lights. No wonder some of you non christmas ppl don't like it or want it, I don't either, and I love the holiday whether its Christmas or Life Day.

Disappointing too, is the fact that subscribers like me, have to wait so long for this so called expansion, and then pay for it on top of the sub. If it was a proper expansion with 3 or 4 new worlds, more class and companion story, new races to play and a character slot or 4, then I'd be willing to pay for it, definately. But one lousy map? Ops and FP that I could give a rats *** about?

I want story, and companion story expansions. They're not listening. In fact I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to say anything here, because only the trolls care. (I suppose I feel better getting my thoughts into the open a bit.) :(

Taurgrim consistantly hit SWTORs problems on the head from Day 1..

Yeah, but he hit the right things. That's a huge difference. The same can't be said for his peers. At least Ed could point out the flaws in a progression system or disparity between classes. I don't think he'd be wasting his time worrying about Life Day.

Edited by AlyxDinas

I could less about christmas - it doesn't invalidate the other monkey business though.

The T7 ship gear fiasco has cost them 2 subs from my house. That was before Makeb entered the equation.

So you post, "Interestingly enough, according to this article on Massively, SWTOR is the only AAA western MMO that isn't having a Christmas event.

So what do you think? Are the GamebreakerTV guys off the mark? Do you feel the same way they do?"

and then claim you don't care about Christmas?????

Yeah, but he hit the right things. That's a huge difference. The same can't be said for his peers. At least Ed could point out the flaws in a progression system or disparity between classes. I don't think he'd be wasting his time worrying about Life Day.

True, but Life Day is a symptom of the main disease.

It's very difficult to disagree with anything they say in this video, be it $18 for a terrible speeder, P2W space, no event etc. etc.

I mean you have to remember two of these guys were HUGE SWTOR supporters (and still are in fact) and barely said anything negative about SWTOR for the first 6 months, now they are happily point out what they see as crazy and shortsighted behaviour from Bioware EA.

It's very difficult to disagree with anything they say in this video, be it $18 for a terrible speeder, P2W space, no event etc. etc.

Yeah, but the thing is that none of those things matter to me. The speeder is something that I don't have to buy. The space gear is easy to get without coins and someone buying with coins it barely affects the economy or gear parity within the game so it barely meets what I consider to be B2W, and the lack of a holiday/aniversary event (while certainly emblematic of BioWare's lack of a strong community events team) is also something that doesn't really affect me. That is, it doesn't really bother me.

Because, at the end of the day, there are just a lot more pressing concerns in the game right now than any of those things. So, for me, to get up in arms about them is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

So, for myself, it's very easy to disagree. Because I don't see anything of importance in the things they are making noise about.

Edited by AlyxDinas

Yeah, but the thing is that none of those things matter to me. The speeder is something that I don't have to buy. The space gear is easy to get without coins and someone buying with coins it barely affects the economy or gear parity within the game so it barely meets what I consider to be B2W, and the lack of a holiday/aniversary event (while certainly emblematic of BioWare's lack of a strong community events team) is also something that doesn't really affect me. That is, it doesn't really bother me.

Because, at the end of the day, there are just a lot more pressing concerns in the game right now than any of those things. So, for me, to get up in arms about them is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

The issue with the space P2W is as much the precedent it sets (P2W raid gear, P2W PvP gear etc), as I've mentioned before there is a very famous poem written about people that don't care about something happening to something they don't care about.

The $18 mount and general serious overpricing of the Cashshop though should directly affect you though.

So, for myself, it's very easy to disagree. Because I don't see anything of importance in the things they are making noise about.

They're amateurs/gamers not a professional "impartial" outlet, tis to be expected tbh. Twas the same with FFXIV before they canned it. High expectations going in, bubble burst, a couple of months of critique of mostly trivia (main complaint seemed to be the copy pasta environment) that got increasingly vile until the show got shut down. It's gonna be the same with TOR I wager, or at least Gary is gonna hand it over to another host. Which is a bit of a shame as he's the most entertaining guy they have overall.:p

Exactly, adding Christian holidays to fantasy worlds is immersion breaking in my opinion. Life Day is all that was needed since it is in the Star Wars lore.

Except that Life Day was actually thought up as a Thanksgiving equivalent, not Christmas. Too bad Sony and several others messed that up pretty badly.

The price was truely crazy, even if they did lower them they originally thought that content was so good that it should cost $20.

Makes you wonder.

here i was thinking ~6$ for a barbie pink reskin of an existing speeder was overpriced. what a fool i am eh?

Except that Life Day was actually thought up as a Thanksgiving equivalent, not Christmas. Too bad Sony and several others messed that up pretty badly.

Yeah Life Day was actually aired on 17 Novemeber 1978, and whilst it has Christmas eleements in it, it is certainly not "Christmas" as such, but rather an amalgam of Thanks Giving, Christmas, and several other winter holidays rolled up into one - much like the Force and Jedi philosophy borrows from a lot of RL religions and practices.

They can reverse the negative tide IMO with a few simple changes, which I have already suggested.

As to the point about life day...it's the holidays. Many games (as far as I am aware) usually hold holiday events. They decided for one reason or another to not hold one here, and I think that wasn't a wise choice.

It gives the impression, IMO, that this is an amateur effort, an unfair image from my perspective.

Edited by LordArtemis