The Republic: SWTOR is "Out of Control"

Peregrine_Falcon

hard to do lifeday when during the old republic it is only celebrated on Keshyyyk

Hard to do? :confused:

They did it, but only on the Cashshop.

So how exactly does that work? There's all these "Life Day" items in game........ yet it doesn't exist in game? :confused:

The reality is they just cashed in on it, a quick buck, a nickle and dime of subs, they could have DONE a proper Life Day event, but they didn't, they just SOLD Life Day on the Cashshop. :(

Edited by Goretzu

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In episode 117 of The Republic, Gary Gannon says that SWTOR is "out of control." Referring to the pay-to-win space gear and the reskinned $18 Christmas speeder.

The Republic 117: Out of Control

Interestingly enough, according to this article on Massively, SWTOR is the only AAA western MMO that isn't having a Christmas event.

So what do you think? Are the GamebreakerTV guys off the mark? Do you feel the same way they do?

Please note: I am not in anyway affiliated with either GamebreakerTV or Massively. I just wanted to bring this info to the community's attention.

\

And this thread is going to make all the people who hate christmas flock to the forums. If anything they should have brought a unique form of christmas or any of the other holidays. Can't believe people have a problem with "Christmas" now than in the past. Really sad actually.

Well, maybe the snarky comments from that guy are warranted. Given the underlying game mechanics, SWTOR is kind of like Star Wars Monopoly compared to normal Monopoly. Its a game we've all played, but with Star Wars flavor. Considering the last decade's worth of MMOs even the most impartial of reviewers and commentators are going to have a difficult time keeping their resentment of the current MMO market from seeping through. Its only destined to get worse as big game publishers drive the genre into the dirt by reiterating the same game the hundredth time. This isn't Madden, folks. Edited by lobotaru

Well, maybe the snarky comments from that guy are warranted. Given the underlying game mechanics, SWTOR is kind of like Star Wars Monopoly compared to normal Monopoly. Its a game we've all played, but with Star Wars flavor. Considering the last decade's worth of MMOs even the most impartial of reviewers and commentators are going to have a difficult time keeping their resentment of the current MMO market from seeping through. Its only destined to get worse as big game publishers drive the genre into the dirt by reiterating the same game the hundredth time. This isn't Madden, folks.

rofl funny you brought that up I played Star Wars Monopoly with my neice and nephew on Christmas and had a blast. It is actually a lot more fun then regular monopoly

rofl funny you brought that up I played Star Wars Monopoly with my neice and nephew on Christmas and had a blast. It is actually a lot more fun then regular monopoly

Add a cashshop to monoploy; "buy a hotel for just $100.00 and beat your family!"

I can just imagine the fun (and the expense). :)

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

Dumbest thing I've ever read. Christmas is huge in Japan and other Asian countries and was always a massive event in Final Fantasy XI and XIV. And Japan is most certainly not a Christian nation. Not to mention that Life Day is just a renamed Christmas celebration in the SWU and all the junk they are selling on the Cartel Market are Christmas themed items.

Moreover, because some people don't do something the majority of others who do do that thing should not be able to do it? If you're an American, your government takes vacation during this month and considers it a national holiday. If you don't celebrate that's fine. That doesn't mean you ramrod your humbug down everyone elses throats.

Gary brings up really good points now and then, but the dude is basically the Skip Bayless or Bill O'Reilly of gaming news.

He trolls and trashes stuff purely for viewers, so it's hard to take him seriously on anything.

Edited by Stncold

Lets just face it, life day sucks. A terrible idea for a 'holiday' to cash in on, should have been quests or something to get people into the event. Not just "but this random robe for no reason".

As for the whole christmas thing, no one celebrates christmas as a religious thing anymore lets be serious.

I do and so does my whole family

They need more people on "The Republic" who actually play the game. A lot of the things they spend massive amounts of time focusing on are not in touch with the player base. It's like making a show about a restaurant that you don't eat at.

Just my opinion.. I used to like the show, but it's gone downhill since they've stopped playing.

They need more people on "The Republic" who actually play the game. A lot of the things they spend massive amounts of time focusing on are not in touch with the player base. It's like making a show about a restaurant that you don't eat at.

Just my opinion.. I used to like the show, but it's gone downhill since they've stopped playing.

It has to be said a lot of SWTOR does seem to be designed with "this is cool" or "wouldn't that be great" without it actually being thought and played through.

Actually Warhammer Online suffered massively from this too, perhaps at its worst when it was full absorbed into Bioware EA - with hindsight perhaps because the same management structures came into play.

I could less about christmas - it doesn't invalidate the other monkey business though.

The T7 ship gear fiasco has cost them 2 subs from my house. That was before Makeb entered the equation.

See I get the feeling that some people who complain about the space missions haven't actually tried them. They are challenging even if you have T7 gear. It' not an I win set of gear.

It is still pay to win even if you can attain it ingame, because you can pay to have the best stuff without having to play the game.

Well if you want to make up your own definitions then yes its P2W.

The real definition of P2W is items available only for money that are better than those that can be earned in game.

The items are available in game without spending money, so they are not P2W.

See I get the feeling that some people who complain about the space missions haven't actually tried them. They are challenging even if you have T7 gear. It' not an I win set of gear.

P2W doesn't have to mean you will win with whatever you buy, just that you circuvent gameplay to your advantage, which they certainly do (i.e. they make things a LOT easier).

I dont know how you can pay to win against yourself but im sure someone will try and tell me. As for gamebreaker, they are a running joke between me and my mates as we try to see how bad they can say swtor is before shouting 'but hey try rift, its great, its over there'. Anyone would think gamebreaker are being sponsored to promote rift as best they can, ow wait they are.

I tried todo a drinking game for everytime they went well x amd x is bad but in rift its AMAZING, i had to stop as i couldnt see properly on the last show.

I ROFLMAO. Consider the source people. Not trying to defend this very broken game. But it has some bright spots.

But I have to agree, the F2P obvious money grab is obvious. BioFail needs to take about 50% off all the money grab stuff in the Cartel market. In addition Subs need to get a better allotment of CC for subing. 15.00 and you get 500 Cartel coins. IMO that done they will actually see more money come in. At the moment, with exception of a few things, most everything is a direct recolor and they expect us to pay a fortune for it.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

Christmas was a Pagan Holiday long before the Christians adopted it and changed the name. The Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice with pine trees because they were green year round symbolizing long life. Christians adopted the Pagan rituals to intice the Pagans into converting to Christianity.

It is the seven deadly sins that has turned Christmas into what it is today. Tell me though, how does seeing a religious symbol affect you in any way other than it being in your line of site?

Christmas was a Pagan Holiday long before the Christians adopted it and changed the name. The Pagans celebrated the Winter Solstice with pine trees because they were green year round symbolizing long life. Christians adopted the Pagan rituals to intice the Pagans into converting to Christianity.

It is the seven deadly sins that has turned Christmas into what it is today. Tell me though, how does seeing a religious symbol affect you in any way other than it being in your line of site?

And Life Day is Life Day anyway.