The Republic: SWTOR is "Out of Control"

Peregrine_Falcon

Christmas lights, snow and tinsel have nothing to do with Life Day, but everything to do with Christmas. Life Day would have been great if we actually got "Life Day" as content, not a relabel of Christmas. So not only did we not get an event, BioWare still managed to disrespect its IP with these real world references.

Agreed. Life Day was originally intended as a "Thanksgiving" like event mixed with a "memorial day" type event and celebrated once every THREE years. :cool:

Edited by Urael

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G, Life Day isn't supposed to be a Christmas event (see above).

Indeed it is not, it was orginally broadcast on 17 Nov 1978, it is a Thanks Giving (mainly)/Christmas/hanukkah/winterval amalgam (much like the Force and RL religions).

However confusingly Lucas has refered to The Holiday Special as the "Christmas special", and canonically Life Day takes place on December the 25th.

I think the other fella was just confusing Christmas with Life Day which they've basically done with the Life Day speeder. :D

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

3/4 of all people who participate in Christmas aren't Christians.

Indeed it is not, it was orginally broadcast on 17 Nov 1978, it is a Thanks Giving (mainly)/Christmas/hanukkah/winterval amalgam (much like the Force and RL religions).

However confusingly Lucas has refered to The Holiday Special as the "Christmas special", and canonically Life Day takes place on December the 25th.

I think the other fella was just confusing Christmas with Life Day which they've basically done with the Life Day speeder. :D

wrong Life Day can't take place on December 25th as there is no December in the star wars universe.

Also it's only famous for being in that horrid holiday special. Other then that it's not important at all.

I wasn't confusing Christmas with Life Day. I'm saying that Life Day is okay but having specific "Christmas Events" is stupid and shouldn't even be an issue.

Life Day happens at "Christmas" canonically.

wrong Life Day can't take place on December 25th as there is no December in the star wars universe.

Also it's only famous for being in that horrid holiday special. Other then that it's not important at all.

Well whether it "can't" or not it DOES. :)

So that would be "wrong" as in "right", eh? :D

Life Day happens at "Christmas" canonically.

Well whether it "can't" or not it DOES. :)

So that would be "wrong" as in "right", eh? :D

Well if we're sticking to what is canon, then we shouldn't be celebrating life day yet. At the time the game us set in its only celebrated once every 3 years, only by wookiees, and only on kashyykk.

Well if we're sticking to what is canon, then we shouldn't be celebrating life day yet. At the time the game us set in its only celebrated once every 3 years, only by wookiees, and only on kashyykk.

It was celebrated every year at times canonically, who is to say it wasn't 3000 years earlier too. :)

Many things go into and out of fashion in 3000 years. :eek:

Perhaps 3000 years later Wookie(e)s were the only ones to still remember it. :csw_yoda:

Really as plot holes go the SW films have much, much greater to fill. :)

It was celebrated every year at times canonically, who is to say it wasn't 3000 years earlier too. :)

Many things go into and out of fashion in 3000 years. :eek:

Perhaps 3000 years later Wookie(e)s were the only ones to still remember it. :csw_yoda:

Really as plot holes go the SW films have much, much greater to fill. :)

I can only go by what is written. They spread the life day love around the galaxy during the GCW, and then it started being every year. It hasn't been written that they did this any other time in history, so I'm going to assume they didn't.

I can only go by what is written. They spread the life day love around the galaxy during the GCW, and then it started being every year. It hasn't been written that they did this any other time in history, so I'm going to assume they didn't.

Nothing is ever written, until it is written. :csw_yoda:

(if nothing could be written KOTOR 1&2 and SWTOR wouldn't exist :eek:)

Nothing is ever written, until it is written. :csw_yoda:

(if nothing could be written KOTOR 1&2 and SWTOR wouldn't exist :eek:)

Yeah, I know. But it has been written. They have written about life day, and they said that it was specifically during the GCW that other planets/races, got involved. To then add that actually, thousands of years before they did the same thing, but then stopped again seems a tad silly. I'd much rather they added a completely new festival.

Edited by utio

Yeah, I know. But it has been written. They have written about life day, and they said that it was specifically during the GCW that other planets/races, got involved. To then add that actually, thousands of years before they did the same thing, but then stopped again seems a tad silly. I'd much rather they added a completely new festival.

That's exactly how all of the SW lore outside the films has been written though. It didn't happen till it happened. Even in the films stuff now happens that didn't happen (Han and Greebo etc.)

They could have done something totally new though that is true, and it may well have been great - they didn't however, they sold Life Day items on the Cashshop. :csw_yoda:

It would have been very easy for them to put in a simple life day event using existing ingame assests. They could have had set it on Hoth and have a starship crash with Wookie pilgrims who were heading back to Kashyyyk to celebrate Life Day and came under attack by Trandoshan slavers.

The republic players would have a mission to liberate the wookies from the Trandoshans and in saving them be given Life Day gifts as rewards and codex entries for the lore of Life Day.

Imperials would be sent to help the Trandoshans capture the Wookies and through looting and searching the remains of the ship, acquire Life Day items from the event.

No need for it to be over complicated just a simple quest on Hoth that brings attention to Life Day and GIVES rewards which is more in the spirit of Xmas (and Life Day)...giving, NOT the cash shop.

Hell even easier they could have put groups of Wookies pilgrims around the Republic fleet and other planets at starports, Wookies who would talk to you that they were on their way to Kashyyyk to celebrate Life Day...and if you donated some in game credits...(NOT Cartel Coins) they rewarded you with Life Day gifts and Codex entries.

Edited by DarthBrundleFLY

At this point I think a simple no damage snowball fight open arena would work. They could pass out the snowball special for free, allowing you to throw it at anyone, and when you step foot in the ring your hits get tallied.

Then they can place a leaderboard up showing most hits. Just a simple way to at least have some kind of event.

Have to agree here with the OP. Seems to me that whoever is pulling the strings now is pulling hard to just take our hard earn money. Thats fine, thats business and modern MMO life i guess. But its the brazen lust for our money and shameless schemes to get at it.

Then there the **** poor customer services, i mean they are terrible, really bad now. The least a MMo can do is be there when you have a problem and try to solve it, or at least tell you properly they cannot. What do we get? A four to five day wait on our tickets and then a canned auto response telling what we already know!! Better still when you phone them up you get a 4-8 hour wait for service!

Its not good guys, not good at all. I personally do not mind paying for a service, just as long as that service is good!

That's exactly how all of the SW lore outside the films has been written though. It didn't happen till it happened. Even in the films stuff now happens that didn't happen (Han and Greebo etc.)

They could have done something totally new though that is true, and it may well have been great - they didn't however, they sold Life Day items on the Cashshop. :csw_yoda:

Hmmm, I see your point. I'd much rather they did something new though.

They stated they aren't doing Christmas events since they prefer the randomness of having their current events. Which I also prefer make things more sporatic. The life-day stuff which is completely optional is perfect to me.

ummm they are attainable through playing the game. You can buy all the items on the GTN

I'm talking about Christmas or "holiday" items. Some of that crap should have been give-aways in quests etc to bring the community together. Not an item on the cartel market worth roughly 18 dollars for re skinned junk (speeder). Also, just because things are on the GTN does not make them available by playing the game They became available by other packs being opened. I don't care about exclusive items on the cartel market minus the Holiday stuff. But reskinning or slightly modifying gear that took people hours and hours of gameplay to attain only to be available on there is a slap in the face.