The Republic: SWTOR is "Out of Control"

Peregrine_Falcon

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

While I commend what you say, let me ask, what does Christmas (gifts, meals, family shopping) has to do with christianity ? As far as I see ( I am a christian) it has a very little religious connection for many. Sure there are special religious events during christams, but many do not attend at all, yet, they celebrate christmas as a family or freind event, and have their fun, and joy. I'd argue that christmas today, in the world, is no longer just a religious thing, if at all.

I am not for bringing it to the game, or any game though. Perhaps in spirit, but not factually. And Life day gather's something from this spirit, so basicly SWTOR still has an Xmas event, a global, more liberal, clothed in fantasy way.

Edited by Dzsewdow
typos

I would rather have a Starwarish event some other time of the year.

Imagine Darth Malgus in a santa suit handing out wrapped lightsabers :sul_grin:

That would make me.....not log on for a while :csw_jabbapet:

Life Day is as Star Wars as it gets. I'm not convinced the Life Day items are especially "Life Day" though, the mount especially just needs Rudolph pulling it to be Santa's Sleight.

As the people in the video say "Bioware EA has to be trolling with that mount, right?". :eek:

I dont know how you can pay to win against yourself but im sure someone will try and tell me. As for gamebreaker, they are a running joke between me and my mates as we try to see how bad they can say swtor is before shouting 'but hey try rift, its great, its over there'. Anyone would think gamebreaker are being sponsored to promote rift as best they can, ow wait they are.

I tried todo a drinking game for everytime they went well x amd x is bad but in rift its AMAZING, i had to stop as i couldnt see properly on the last show.

I love this post. I thought it was just me. Gamebreaker is not the only ones doing this, go over to MMORPG.COM they are just as bad. Everything that is not WOW is ****. They hype the crap out of a new game because they are getting kickbacks then when it rolls out, it is crap. LOL. I stopped going to those sites because they are just so negative. It is getting that way on these forums also. Unfortunate to always hear from the unhappy, and man there are so many unhappy about the littlest things. I for one enjoy this game very much and will continue to for a long time.

I agree with everything they say in the show, and find it interesting to see how these guys over the past months have become more and more disillusioned with this game. Just a few months ago they were critical about certain things, but still had hopes that the CC store and F2P would be a new beginning for this game. Now it seems they're almost ready to give up on it.

I don't agree with their title though. I think EA is exactly in control, not out. All their efforts are focused at the moment at making as much money off their CC store cash grab as possible, to the detriment of everything else. I'd like everyone to take a good look again at the known issues list, linked here for your convenience: link

Do you notice how it is a mile long? Now take a look at the last patch notes: link

75% of the items in that patch note consists of items they added to their store or discounts they applied. Yay.

The only bug fix they list is this:

Elite War Hero Combat Tech and Combat Medic items now require the correct War Hero pieces for purchase.

ALL the other stuff they list as bug fixes are simply typo corrections. That means someone had to go into an .xml file and change a few words. Probably took them minutes at most. That is it. At the same time they let you pre-order the new content coming out next year..more money you get to spend on them.

I do not know and cannot say for certain that this company currently does not care one bit about bugs and problems that people are experiencing and thus their players' enjoyment of this game, but they sure do their best to make it seem so. I see certain people in this thread using the age old: "if you don't like an item, simply don't buy it and don't whine".

a)It's not about a single or a few items, it's about the bigger picture.

b)if you don't see that you're slowly being prepared and led to true P2W items coming out all in the name of the mighty dollar, then I don't know what to tell you. What is that? They said that that would never happen? Gee, that's good because these guys have never gone back an a statement before..

It's a shame certain people will pull the same old defense mechanism such as the one mentioned above again and again, without thinking about other people. The same people who go into threads with complaints stating: "it isn't happening to me, so you should just shut up and not whine." "bro, been running this game without problems, it's your pc."

I am personally actually enjoying the game right now and plan on staying subscribed for a while to come. I go through my class stories, level an alt to 50, and then start over. I use my new crew skills to make nice items for my alts, help out other players and am having a good time doing it. It's a good thing though that I find this enjoyable, because I cannot do any group content, because I too am plagued by the crash to desktop syndrome every 1 to 2 hours: link

You can see how long that has been around now. Months without a fix. And that was before all their efforts were aimed at this store.. No more illusions here that that will get fixed at all. I simply play on day to day and liking it, until something truly breaks the game for me and I cannot play anymore. And with these guys, that might be any patch on any given tuesday..

Edited by Grondar

So you post, "Interestingly enough, according to this article on Massively, SWTOR is the only AAA western MMO that isn't having a Christmas event.

So what do you think? Are the GamebreakerTV guys off the mark? Do you feel the same way they do?"

and then claim you don't care about Christmas?????

I don't let reviews influence my decision beyond the initial purchase of an item/service, after that I make up my own mind.

Haven't watched the GamebreakerTV thingy. I don't need them to tell me anything about the game; I've played it since beta. :p

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

Oh get over yourself - you don't have to be Christian to enjoy Christmas, and when put into video game events it rarely, if ever, has any religious component to it. I mean, Star Wars has its own 'Life Day' fictional holiday for the time and setting with which to theme an event anyway!

I'm not religious but I would still expect a holiday event at Christmas, and would not be offended in the slightest to have a Christmas event. What's more important is that I'm not sad and self-entitled enough to believe that the fact that I'm not Christian means that those around me should have to avoid any connotations of a religious holiday and sterilise the cultural and traditional themes around this times of year.

Oh, and Bioware also don't need yet more excuses to sit on their behinds and do **** all for ToR.

it's not a rip off since YOU DON"T HAVE TO BUY IT.

There is no advantage to buying it. You can very easily NOT BUY IT.

The point is that's all they have bothered to do, and it's poor. We won't buy it, you're absolutely right sstanks, but it's just mediocre from Bioware.

And sure, they don't have to do anything. But they shouldn't expect to impress the playerbase and keep subscribers and players if they take that attitude.

Bioware is Haveing War On Xmas just like Fox News!

They dont Care about the kids, families, players enough to have Holiday Events.

They overcharge for them in the Cartel store.

A cartel Holiday speeder, that looks like something a Drug Dealer would have on MTV pimp my ride show, that is so Ugly and Obxnixious that even seeing it, leads to disbelief.

Bioware why, oh why are you having on War on Xmas like Fox News?

The point is that's all they have bothered to do, and it's poor. We won't buy it, you're absolutely right sstanks, but it's just mediocre from Bioware.

And sure, they don't have to do anything. But they shouldn't expect to impress the playerbase and keep subscribers and players if they take that attitude.

except if it was really cool just as many people if not more would be complaing that they make all this reallly cool stuff and only sell it on the cash shop forcing people to buy it and they only give the crappy stuff in game through quests.

There is no way they can win.

Bioware is Haveing War On Xmas just like Fox News!

They dont Care about the kids, families, players enough to have Holiday Events.

They overcharge for them in the Cartel store.

A cartel Holiday speeder, that looks like something a Drug Dealer would have on MTV pimp my ride show, that is so Ugly and Obxnixious that even seeing it, leads to disbelief.

Bioware why, oh why are you having on War on Xmas like Fox News?

Ok, I'm criticising them too, but why did this have to descend into 'HURR DURR DEY TUK URR JERRBS!'

it's not a rip off since YOU DON"T HAVE TO BUY IT.

There is no advantage to buying it. You can very easily NOT BUY IT.

Whether you, I or anyone else buys it has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO with something being a rip off/vastly over priced or not. :)

It either is or isn't whether anyone buys it or anyone doesn't. :csw_yoda:

Whether you, I or anyone else buys it has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO with something being a rip off/vastly over priced or not. :)

It either is or isn't whether anyone buys it or anyone doesn't. :csw_yoda:

if no one buys it then they can't get ripped off. How are you getting ripped off by not buying it?

if no one buys it then they can't get ripped off. How are you getting ripped off by not buying it?

That doesn't mean it's not poor quality and overpriced. And it also doesn't mean it's not a lazy reskin of existing content with a huge pricetag slapped on it.

Honestly, this is more about Bioware's work ethic and approach to content and improving SW:ToR than the speeder or whether we should pay x y or z dollars for it. It's just a reflection on how the game is approached in general.

That doesn't mean it's not poor quality and overpriced. And it also doesn't mean it's not a lazy reskin of existing content with a huge pricetag slapped on it.

Honestly, this is more about Bioware's work ethic and approach to content and improving SW:ToR than the speeder or whether we should pay x y or z dollars for it. It's just a reflection on how the game is approached in general.

how do you price a limited time digital item?

Quality? The quality is actually pretty good. It's tacky but the quality is nice. It has the blinking lights and the snow that it blows out. It is unique.

How do you know what their work ethic is? I would say it's actually pretty good seeing as they are releasing content on a 6 week cycle (not even blizz has achieved that. In fact blizz took 11 months before it released content) and while they do have bugs with new patches (as does every MMO) they are quick to fix them.

Yes it sounds fanboyish but if you are actually objective and compare their work ethic to other MMO companies and look at their content cycle and bug patch fixes you will see they are one of the top companies out there.

Again the speeder is 100% optional. Not to mention if you still have cartel coins you could have gotten it completely for free.

,,, and while they do have bugs with new patches (as does every MMO) they are quick to fix them.

I used to think they were quick to fix them. Not so much anymore - especially the dev posts that say "we have a fix in the works that we will deploy after the first of the year/"

I used to think they were quick to fix them. Not so much anymore - especially the dev posts that say "we have a fix in the works that we will deploy after the first of the year/"

you clearly haven't played many MMOs espeically not WoW.

WoW tried to fix Arcane missle and blink for over 5 years.

Again something being A rip off doesn't mean I therefore have to have been ripped off, they are totally seperate things. :csw_yoda:

I don't know how to say this any more clearly. :confused:

Do you think $18.00 is a reasonable price for that mount then?

Edited by Goretzu

Again something being A rip off doesn't mean I therefore have to have been ripped off, they are totally seperate things. :csw_yoda:

for a digital item that has no affect on the game at all and is completely optional? sure why not.

Is 2 million a reasonable price for the Bugatti Veyron?

Is VW going down the toliet because they make it? Are they ripping off their customers of other cars because they make it and sell it at 2 million each?

for a digital item that has no affect on the game at all and is completely optional? sure why not.

Is VW going down the toliet because they make it? Are they ripping off their customers of other cars because they make it and sell it at 2 million each?

which version /drool

Fair enough you think $18.00 for such a mount is fine, I accept that........... however a lot of people do not, you have to accept that too. :)

As they sold them at a loss (i.e. less than they cost to make) I suspect so - however I'm pretty sure a Santa Mount doesn't cost Bioware EA $18.00 per character to make......... I'm not even convinced they spent $18.00 on recolouring the mount skin in total. :D

Again I don't see how selling something for less than you make it can be a rip off, I guess that is just me though. :)

Edited by Goretzu

It's all relative. What you think is a ripoff, someone might think is a good deal...or a fair deal. I spend money on digital crap from TF2. Do I feel like I got ripped off? No. But, if I tried to explain it to my father, he would say i'm an idiot for paying real money for imaginary stuff. Who is right? What I find value in, he doesn't. What entertains me, doesn't entertain him.