The Republic: SWTOR is "Out of Control"

Peregrine_Falcon

In episode 117 of The Republic, Gary Gannon says that SWTOR is "out of control." Referring to the pay-to-win space gear and the reskinned $18 Christmas speeder.

The Republic 117: Out of Control

Interestingly enough, according to this article on Massively, SWTOR is the only AAA western MMO that isn't having a Christmas event.

So what do you think? Are the GamebreakerTV guys off the mark? Do you feel the same way they do?

Please note: I am not in anyway affiliated with either GamebreakerTV or Massively. I just wanted to bring this info to the community's attention.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In episode 117 of The Republic, Gary Gannon says that SWTOR is "out of control." Referring to the pay-to-win space gear and the reskinned $18 Christmas speeder.

The Republic 117: Out of Control

Interestingly enough, according to this article on Massively, SWTOR is the only AAA western MMO that isn't having a Christmas event.

So what do you think? Are the GamebreakerTV guys off the mark? Do you feel the same way they do?

Please note: I am not in anyway affiliated with either GamebreakerTV or Massively. I just wanted to bring this info to the community's attention.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps BW is doing everyone a favor and NOT bringing Christmas into a game simply because not all of us are Christians?! What a novel thought......

I could less about christmas - it doesn't invalidate the other monkey business though.

The T7 ship gear fiasco has cost them 2 subs from my house. That was before Makeb entered the equation.

Exactly, adding Christian holidays to fantasy worlds is immersion breaking in my opinion. Life Day is all that was needed since it is in the Star Wars lore.

Frankly, more people need to open their eyes and see what's actually going on with this game. It's not that they decided not to celebrate Christmas, it's EA/BioWare's idea of celebrating Life Day as well as the game's one year mark is not to have any sort of event, but to sell you crap. This stuff may not be important to you, but it sets a pretty bad precedent of possibly what's to come.

We all really enjoy this game, but we don't want to see it continue down the route it's going; which in the eyes of a lot of people is basically a free-for-all money-grab.

The millions of gamers playing the other MMO's don't seem bothered or offended by the Holiday events. I dare say most welcome it or companies would stop making the content.

Lets just face it, life day sucks. A terrible idea for a 'holiday' to cash in on, should have been quests or something to get people into the event. Not just "but this random robe for no reason".

As for the whole christmas thing, no one celebrates christmas as a religious thing anymore lets be serious.

lame attempt to defend.

even if it wasnt about xmas, there was life day and 1 year anniversay celebrated with cartel shop items and 25 lousy fireworks. you call this mmo events?

None of the games associate their "Winter celebrations" with Christian holidays. I've never gotten a mail or quest in any western MMO telling me to come celebrate the birth of Jesus. If you can't enjoy Chrismtas decorations just because you associate them with Christianity, I don't know what to tell ya'

I don't celebrate Christian holidays, but I do put up Christmas decorations because they look pretty. The point that you seemed to miss was that Bioware did nothing other than monetize some massively overpriced junk and then tell us to go celebrate. It's cheap and lame.

I dont know how you can pay to win against yourself but im sure someone will try and tell me. As for gamebreaker, they are a running joke between me and my mates as we try to see how bad they can say swtor is before shouting 'but hey try rift, its great, its over there'. Anyone would think gamebreaker are being sponsored to promote rift as best they can, ow wait they are.

I tried todo a drinking game for everytime they went well x amd x is bad but in rift its AMAZING, i had to stop as i couldnt see properly on the last show.

Edited by Shingara

I dont know how you can pay to win against yourself but im sure someone will try and tell me. As for gamebreaker, they are a running joke between me and my mates as we try to see how bad they can say swtor is before shouting 'but hey try rift, its great, its over there'. Anyone would think gamebreaker are being sponsored to promote rift as best they can, ow wait they are.

I tried todo a drinking game for everytime they went well x amd x is bad but in rift its AMAZING, i had to stop as i couldnt see properly on the last show.

That's pretty interesting since it came up like twice. Did you get drunk after two drinks? Cheap date I guess.

That's pretty interesting since it came up like twice. Did you get drunk after two drinks? Cheap date I guess.

Twice lol, watch it again. who was it that came up with the jesus patch name, who was it that hyped the game to hell, who is it that makes a show about something they dont even play anymore. And his excuse is ow but he wants the game to be good, enough to bring him back. Ye right pull the other one cos that has bells on it.

He spent how long on an xmas mount you dont need, dont have to buy and arnt forced to use hmm.

Edited by Shingara

That's not why they did nothing. They did nothing because they lack organization and direction.

Yes, but it's still there was no event. They charged for a bunch of reskinned CHRISTMAS items.

Aside from the speeder with lights, which of the items have any relation specifically to Christmas?

1. Orb? Nope, it's just an orb. Not specific to Christmas.

2. Holo-tree? Looks more like an Oak than an evergreen to me. Not a Christmas Tree.

3. Tinsel Bomb? Confetti and the like is used to celebrate many holidays and other things, including New Year's Eve. So, again, not specific to Christmas.

4. Robes? They are dark red. There's no white in them at all. And no Santa hat anywhere. Again, not specific to Christmas, since red isn't only a Christmas color.

5. Fireworks? Those are more of a 4th of July item than a Christmas item.

Granted, there was no Life Day event, but to say this is all Christmas stuff is just inaccurate. And you could argue that the lights on the speeder are just colored lightbulbs that have no specific connection to Christmas. There are no Christmas trees, no Santa gear, no elves, no crosses, no wreaths or poinsettas, and no reindeer. So, I ask again, which of these items bares any specific relation to Christmas?

Those guys sometimes are on point and sometimes way off... they said lowbie PVP would be broken and unplayable with the new +41 crystals..... and actually its almost no different. I have toons that have both +41 power in main and offhand not that much of a difference. I also have toons that don't have it and i cant tell the difference.

I love where this game is going and i'm enjoying it more and more.

This week I got a revan mask, diplomats chair, dominators throne, and a bunch of new weapons. I'm stoked and my toons are looking better and better with all this new gear....

KEEP IT UP! :):D

Have to agree here

They acknowledged that the damn ship parts prices between the cartel market and other means of attainment were imbalanced, and they promised they will be fixing it. Also, it is not pay to win if it is attainable in other means than paying real cash for it, an example being being able to purchase the best gear for your class for cash, but not being able to attain in in game through effort.

As far as all the other complaints going around atm (of which there seem to be so many because people in today's society LOVE to complain) The expansion is no different than ANY other expansion released by ANY other MMO, if it has a level cap increase, new zone, x and y features, it will cost cash, despite constant ignorant statements on these forums, they never said that this content would NOT cost cash, only that they were looking at multiple ways of how they could release the content, and they decided to give a new xpac out for 10$...which is like 30 dollars minimum less than the standard price of expansions, and you COMPLAIN? they havent given the details of all that will be included with it, but clearly state that more info will be coming out over the coming months on all the stuff coming with the expansion.

As for the bugs, yes there are quite a few, yes they are taking a while to fix them, but in Bioware's defense, EA cut their staff/funding down like hell, and they are doing the best they can with the restricted resources they are working with. It is also the holidays now, and people are entitled to spend time with their families during the holidays.

Chill out people, stop bashing the game, remember that it is still fairly new, and has many years ahead of it to get better

That's not why they did nothing. They did nothing because they lack organization and direction.

and money, dont forget money.....

all the organization and direction in the world wont help you grow, if your funds are constantly cut, and your staff constantly restructured because your parent company decides resources are better spent elsewhere

The millions of gamers playing the other MMO's don't seem bothered or offended by the Holiday events. I dare say most welcome it or companies would stop making the content.

yeah and many of those game only add new content once a year for some or once every 6-8 months. so for two or three weeks players do whatever xmass event the game has... as soon as its over they go back to raging nonstop about how slow the game puts out new content.

just imagine if BW did spend time creating a xmass event which would have pushed back the release dates on 1.6 for sure and probably 1.5 as well. alot of the same people complaining about no xmass event would be raging over BW not getting real content out fast enough.

i would take new content every 6-8 weeks over lame xmass events or other lame holiday events.

Have to agree here

Also, it is not pay to win if it is attainable in other means than paying real cash for it, an example being being able to purchase the best gear for your class for cash, but not being able to attain in in game through effort.

The expansion is no different than ANY other expansion released by ANY other MMO, if it has a level cap increase, new zone, x and y features, it will cost cash, despite constant ignorant statements on these forums, they never said that this content would NOT cost cash, only that they were looking at multiple ways of how they could release the content, and they decided to give a new xpac out for 10$...which is like 30 dollars minimum less than the standard price of expansions, and you COMPLAIN? they havent given the details of all that will be included with it, but clearly state that more info will be coming out over the coming months on all the stuff coming with the expansion.

It is still pay to win even if you can attain it ingame, because you can pay to have the best stuff without having to play the game.

This isn't about the money, it's about the direction this is going. This was planned to be free to subs. It's not enough content to pay for, this (and the p2w ship gear and money grab christmas stuff) is just a preview of the future.

Can't wait to pay $10 for the cather race though

and $20 for the Secret space project

and $15 for guild ships

and $35 for yet another planet with no class/companion story

and $10 for another recolored human

Edited by DarkDisturbed