What is the reason for subscribing?

A_nonymous

Subs allow you to play without being frustrated by the limitations. That's all. Once you are subbed, you have your average f2p game.

Don't let it fool you, there is no "vip" status in this game, just "trial","invite a friend trial offer" and "f2p". But EAWARE is nice, they give you 500cc each month if you are f2p, so you can almost buy something you asked for 1year from the shop, if you save for 3 months.

Subs allow you to play without being frustrated by the limitations. That's all. Once you are subbed, you have your average f2p game.

Don't let it fool you, there is no "vip" status in this game, just "trial","invite a friend trial offer" and "f2p". But EAWARE is nice, they give you 500cc each month if you are f2p, so you can almost buy something you asked for 1year from the shop, if you save for 3 months.

And thus is my frustration. I'm also a sub at DCUO. I subbed because I got tired, as an f2p player, of being nickel and dimed for stuff. Lockboxes? Pay to open it. Better loot? Pay for it. More in game money? Pay for it. More character slots. Pay for it. New power sets and DLC? Pay for it. They nickel and dime f2pers for everything. If you sub, you don't get any of that. For the price of your sub you have no limits and the DLC is all free. You only pay if you want to buy stuff from the in game market that's their version of the cartel. The stuff there is all aesthetic/convenience (like a mailbox droid or an armor repair bot). None of it really impacts gameplay.

It's unclear what being a subscriber really gets you in SWTOR.

"A lot less than being a subscriber in any other Freemium MMORPG" seems to be the main answer though. :(

Lol, unclear?! Too funny. If it's 'unclear' trying going F2P. It will be come crystal clear very quickly.

If you think all it costs to bypass all the f2p restrictions is 10 - 15 dollars you must have never seen a math textbook in your life.

I spent 10 dollars on cartel coins and tried to play this game as a preferred played for about a week. I quickly learned that it was far, FAR cheaper to just sub than to bother trying to purchase even a 1/4 of the unlocks. The f2p model is *********** ATROCIOUS. It's seems as if their goal wasn't to have two different communities playing the game through different avenues, but simply beat non-subscribers about the head and face with ridiculous restrictions until they submit and just sub.

Against my better judgement, it worked. I'm not happy about it (which doesn't do Bioware any favors as far as keeping me around for long time) but I'm begrudgingly paying my sub until I finish getting my 8 toons to 50.

Edited by sinosleep

Reason is simple. Want to play in wz's ops or fp's as much as you want when you want? Then you need to sub. Otherwise if you are just a casual gamer that plays maybe 8 hours a week if that then f2p is for you.

I too thought about f2p after quiting 9 months ago coming back..until i read the restrictions and said to myself screw that!

I use all my bars, pvp back to back, fp's back to back and have more then 4 toons going. Cant do that on f2p.

If you think all it costs to bypass all the f2p restrictions is 10 - 15 dollars you must have never seen a math textbook in your life.

I spent 10 dollars on cartel coins and tried to play this game as a preferred played for about a week. I quickly learned that it was far, FAR cheaper to just sub than to bother trying to purchase even a 1/4 of the unlocks. The f2p model is *********** ATROCIOUS. It's seems as if their goal wasn't to have two different communities playing the game through different avenues, but simply beat non-subscribers about the head and face with ridiculous restrictions until they submit and just sub.

Against my better judgement, it worked. I'm not happy about it (which doesn't do Bioware any favors as far as keeping me around for long time) but I'm begrudgingly paying my sub until I finish getting my 8 toons to 50.

Well, I sat down and did the math. These are the things that I would want/need to unlock. This is me personally. Your mileage may vary.

Cargo hold access 475

Inventory slots 175

3rd crew skill 420

Custom titles 75

Hide head slot 350

Unify colors (but this doesn't work anyway) 350

Legacy name 100

I add this up and I find it costs me 1945 cartel coins. I can get 2400 for $20. So, for $20 I can unlock what I want. I'll be a premier subscriber so I'll get 500 coins a month. In months I can have all of this stuff or I can pop just a little bit more than the price of a one month sub and have what I want. That's my math. And I showed my work.

Im starting to wonder that too, i could pay for the pre order as a subber, drop my sub, goto prefered, unlock everything else i want with a mix of the coins i have rolling about and a few more purchased and not pay a penny until the next paid for patch. Edited by Shingara

Well, I sat down and did the math. These are the things that I would want/need to unlock. This is me personally. Your mileage may vary.

Cargo hold access 475

Inventory slots 175

3rd crew skill 420

Custom titles 75

Hide head slot 350

Legacy name 100

I add this up and I find it costs me 1945 cartel coins. I can get 2400 for $20. So, for $20 I can unlock what I want. I'll be a premier subscriber so I'll get 500 coins a month. In months I can have all of this stuff or I can pop just a little bit more than the price of a one month sub and have what I want. That's my math. And I showed my work.

Disclaimer: (I know that is your personal math)

You also forget all the warzones and operation/flashpoint passes. Any F2P model that charges 4x the regular subscription rate for equality is maliciously designed. I can't really think of anything you can't buy... oh the credit cap. There is no way to remove the credit cap except by subscription, so I guess that doesn't factor in.

No. I thought of them. I don't run FPs and WZ so it doesn't matter to me. FPs are 3 a week at the preferred level (where I would be as a former sub). I can't recall the last time I did that many FPs in a week. I've never done a WZ ever. I realize those would be deal breakers for some people, but to me they're not.

Edit: You are right about the credit cap, but it's 350k for a preferred player. I don't have anywhere close to that right now so I can't speak to how limiting that would be. My toon is lvl 42 and I've not hit that limit yet.

Edited by A_nonymous

- You don't get rested and receive worse quest rewards which means being forced to do more boring grind side quests;

- Limited FP access;

- Limited WZ access;

- No OP access;

- Limited space mission access;

- Ugliness of your character (no unify colours, no hide head slot);

- Credit cap;

- Action bar cap;

- Inability to wear orange gear;

- Inability to trade;

- Limited customization and race selection.

Is that enough for you? :) I guess I could come up with a few more if I tried hard.

- You don't get rested and receive worse quest rewards which means being forced to do more boring grind side quests;

- Limited FP access;

- Limited WZ access;

- No OP access;

- Limited space mission access;

- Ugliness of your character (no unify colours, no hide head slot);

- Credit cap;

- Action bar cap;

- Inability to wear orange gear;

- Inability to trade;

- Limited customization and race selection.

Is that enough for you? :) I guess I could come up with a few more if I tried hard.

As I said previously, $20 one time gets me around most of that.

My husband and I talked about cancelling today. It was such a sad talk, after so many years of waiting for this game to come out and so many months of waiting for management to get their act together.

But feeling this way every day just sucks. If I could get Jeff Hickman to resign I would do almost anything. I'd let him punch me in the face. I'd drop out of grad-school and work on the game myself for free and fix bugs full time. I would gladly pay 10 times what I have already paid in subscription fees to have management that doesn't treat their employees and paying customers so very very badly.

This is why you sub: to reach level 50 and determine if it is worth it. If not, keep subbing (in my opinion) and finish the other 7 stories. They all have epic story lines, and some iconic moments we have all wanted to be apart of.

Cargo hold access 475

Inventory slots 175

3rd crew skill 420

Custom titles 75

Hide head slot 350

Legacy name 100

So basically you're the ideal person for preferred status. You don't give a **** about anything that would run up your tab. I, and most others, do care about those things which is why 10 - 15 dollars doesn't get me squat and why there has been an insane amount of complaining about the f2p and more importantly preferred status models. I would need to get the account wide versions of all those unlocks since I have multiple characters. I do actually care about getting all my quest rewards instead of getting screwed out of half of them. I do care about flash points, and space missions even if i can't be bothered with PVP.

So yeah, if you only use ONE character, don't mind leveling at a slower rate, not getting half your quest rewards, getting mounts later (which in this game where you're FORCED to travel to every quest giver before and after each and every quest and every world is *********** gigantic is a monumental pain in the *** IMO) and experiencing half the content, then sure why would you sub?

Edited by sinosleep

Cargo hold access 475

Inventory slots 175

3rd crew skill 420

Custom titles 75

Hide head slot 350

Legacy name 100

That's how much it costs to get all that for one character...

You're looking at about 2 to 2.5 times that for account-level unlocks. Also, you only bought one row of inventory slots.

Edit: And you forgot your purple gear authorization, if that's something you care about (it may not be)

Edited by Guancyto