What is the reason for subscribing?

A_nonymous

I'm not griping, that's an honest question. Why subscribe? At first the answer seems obvious. You get extra perks like speeders at an early level or the ability to equip certain items. Then you realize that you can use Cartel Coins and unlock these things anyway. So basically for a one time $10-15 fee you can unlock pretty much everything a subscriber has. In the future they'll be adding new character slots so that's not even a limitation. And if you're a sub you have to pay for a lot of the same stuff F2P players have to pay for. You still have to pay for expansions. You still have to pay for extra content. What is the point of subscribing?

So I've cancelled my sub. It runs out in 15 days and then I'm done. I may stick around as an F2P player. I may not. I'm not sure I care for the horrible customer service. I'm a sub on another MMO and will probably go back to it. It treats subscribers right and milks f2p players which I have no issues with though my main toon was created when I was an F2P player there and level capped as an f2p as well. It's got the freemium model that's good, but treats subs well also. A sub gets all expansions free and gets free (fake) money every month to spend in the in-game market. Everything in the in-game market is aesthetic which is fine. F2P players pay for the DLC/expansions and they and everyone else has the option to spend real money on more aesthetic stuff.

I'm at a loss with this game to come up with any reason to continue subscribing. I don't expect anyone to care much. I'm just another number to BW and I've only been around the game for 6 mos or so and don't have the $15 sunk into the game since day one. The bugs aren't fixed. BW has no intention of fixing any of them apparently. They have every intention of soaking everyone instead. They introduced pay to win for space battles, now they've basically done the same thing for PVP and probably PVE as well. Those who buy the expansion will have characters 5 levels above everyone else which will give them a distinct advantage in any PVP. PVE content will likely be introduced down the road that will be free to everyone, but at level 55 so level 50s won't even be able to run it. This will prompt people to buy the expansion which is just what BW wants. I feel like I'm being screwed and hate myself a little bit every time I play this game now. The game is still enjoyable. The customer service experience isn't. Why am I paying for this?

If you play alot of the Fps', ops or PVP you need a sub. Being limited and buying coins to play like a subber will cost you more in the long run.

If one month you buy $40 in coins and 2 months down the line another $40 you now spent $80 for 2-3 months of gaming. When in that 3 months a subber payed only $45 and got 1500 free coins on top of it (or in some cases even more).

It all comes down your playstyle, how long and much you play.

Edited by bravotwentysev

Apparently, Bioware needs our Sub money so they can make new Cartel Market items. Because using our money to fund making extra money should make us all feel warm and fuzzy inside. Heck, I'd at least like to know my sub money was going toward quick bug fixes. But apparently, there's no additional money to be made in bug fixes.

For me, it's simply that I support products I enjoy. I enjoy this one, so I'll support it with my dollars to hopefully keep it around, and giving me new stuff.

So far, I've been happy with the adds and the pace for my 15 bucks.

My nephew is doing the FTP thing and its good for him because he really only wants to play the story and missions and really isnt too worried about Pvp or other offerings. he also not worried about limited character slots since once he is done with one story he will roll a new toon and play another story through. I think he has preffered status as he did buy some cartel coins..but im not sure and so far hasn't found the limit on the action bars(being 4 i think) to be problematic at all.

I sub and haven't used more then 4 bars myself yet but i also like not having any restrictions on my ability to play and personally feel the 80 bucks i forked out for the next 6 months dirt cheap vs how many hours i will get out of the game.

Edited by CrazyCanukk

If you try to pay one time for stuff you would lose out on FP, WZ, and I think space missions. If you read the description you only get in increase in the amount of FPs and WZs you can play and then you need to pay again and if you don't use them all then you need to pay for it every week. and a lot of the stuff that subs can get like legacy unlocks only subs can get. and free players can only be on one server.

Quality of life is much better with a sub and worth it imo. You get a lot more choices. 12 characters per server. No limits on xp, more loot to chose from completing quest. No limits on FP's, WZ's. Gear is cheaper at zone vendors, larger commendation bank pool. Lets not forget about the perks. Fleet pass, sprint at level 1, speeders at level 15, legacy options which is good if you plan on playing more than 1 character, probably more I just don't know them.

I'm not griping, that's an honest question. Why subscribe? At first the answer seems obvious. You get extra perks like speeders at an early level or the ability to equip certain items. Then you realize that you can use Cartel Coins and unlock these things anyway. So basically for a one time $10-15 fee you can unlock pretty much everything a subscriber has. In the future they'll be adding new character slots so that's not even a limitation. And if you're a sub you have to pay for a lot of the same stuff F2P players have to pay for. You still have to pay for expansions. You still have to pay for extra content. What is the point of subscribing?

So I've cancelled my sub.

I'm at a loss with this game to come up with any reason to continue subscribing. I don't expect anyone to care much. I'm just another number to BW and I've only been around the game for 6 mos or so and don't have the $15 sunk into the game since day one. The bugs aren't fixed. BW has no intention of fixing any of them apparently. They have every intention of soaking everyone instead. ?

I agree and i just had a bad feeling and canceled before this was made public... They Knew all along they where going to charge for the new planet... the maybe we will maybe we won't was just another smoke screen to milk the last little bit of money out of those who would cancel over it when it was confirmed you would have to buy it.

I agree and i just had a bad feeling and canceled before this was made public... They Knew all along they where going to charge for the new planet... the maybe we will maybe we won't was just another smoke screen to milk the last little bit of money out of those who would cancel over it when it was confirmed you would have to buy it.

TBH anyone that thought we were going to get this at no charge was really only fooling themselves. You have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting hit by lightning twice on the same night then you ever had getting this for free. We got other little tidbits and "Quality of life" items for free but this stuff was never going to be free. It was more a matter of how much was the cost rather then if there was going to be a cost .

TBH anyone that thought we were going to get this at no charge was really only fooling themselves. You have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting hit by lightning twice on the same night then you ever had getting this for free. We got other little tidbits and "Quality of life" items for free but this stuff was never going to be free. It was more a matter of how much was the cost rather then if there was going to be a cost .

I never expect them to give it for free after they said they were "thinking" about charging for it.

I did however expect to be able to buy it with my subscription coins if I saved up enough, as every other Freemium MMORPG lets you do.

Also depends on how many chars you play. If you are like some (me included) who have all 12 slots filled, then going F2P is not an option. Even with "preffered F2P" status, they are only going to 4 char slots.

12 ? really?

I have a hard time playing 3 ,at a time but then again my play time is actually very limited. I am only on the forums because its a slow day at work. but i also tend to play at a slower pace. I sprint around more then i use my mount..I do all the missions on a planet i can find before moving on..etc etc. so it may take me longer then others to get to level 50.

12 ? really?

I have a hard time playing 3 ,at a time but then again my play time is actually very limited. I am only on the forums because its a slow day at work. but i also tend to play at a slower pace. I sprint around more then i use my mount..I do all the missions on a planet i can find before moving on..etc etc. so it may take me longer then others to get to level 50.

If you've not go a L50 then you won't see the issue with this game, most of them occur post-L50 or when levelling to L50 for the 3rd or 4th time.......... that doesn't mean they don't exist however, it just means you having seen them (yet).

It's unclear what being a subscriber really gets you in SWTOR.

"A lot less than being a subscriber in any other Freemium MMORPG" seems to be the main answer though. :(

Agreed, tbh as hard as they are trying to keep the subscription model it isn't panning out well if they aren't going to realize the subscribers are not keen on paying for content they got to pay more for to get. The new expansion should of been free to subs, if not then at least subs who have paid more than 6 months sub since owning the game but no.. they want to milk everyone.

Agreed, tbh as hard as they are trying to keep the subscription model it isn't panning out well if they aren't going to realize the subscribers are not keen on paying for content they got to pay more for to get. The new expansion should of been free to subs, if not then at least subs who have paid more than 6 months sub since owning the game but no.. they want to milk everyone.

Um... they're not trying hard, or at all really, to keep the subscription model. They are trying to sell as many cartel coins as they possibly can.

I can complete the weekly pvp mission. That's about all I'm getting from subscribing. All the other stuff is either bugged (looking at you unify colors) or pointless (raids). If you just play to level up and go through the class stories, there's absolutely no reason to subscribe, even more so with the upcoming expansion which they said would be free for subscribers. Another day, another lie from eaware. Edited by BounceDK

I rarely run FPs unless I'm bored stiff and never PVP or do space missions. I've got the CE and it seems like I get nothing at all for buying that as anyone else can simply pay $5 and get the same thing. All those fancy legacy unlocks? I can still earn them in game or I can pay a few dollars and get them that way. It seems you get next to nothing at all for being a sub. And I came to this game from a game where subs get a lot more than free players. On this game there doesn't seem to be a difference. Yes f2pers have to pay for a bunch of stuff. So do subs. What's the point?