The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

We want Duel Spec!

wowmiscott

When are we going to see duel specialization? There is always talk of it but instead they give subs free respec's. If you are like me you couldn't be bothered redoing all your talents and then setting up your action bars when there is a need for a role, just to have to do it all over again when you want to play the role you were in. We keep hearing BioWare is listening to us and reading our posts.... if this is true, then why just a band aid fix instead of implementing duel specs??? I don't see the importance of "emotes/moods" when you can get more out of the game with duel specs. I like to heal while raiding, but also like to DPS in PvP... but i would have to respec constantly to get the full enjoyment I would be looking for. Is there emote/mood for "*** Bioware, you would rather put extras in for free to play instead of giving your subscribers what they have been asking for before 1.2". Edited by wowmiscott

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lucky to be a Marauder, so I don't NEED a dual spec,but I would probably play around with it so I can swap to Carnage or Annihilation when not in combat.

But I definitely see your point, especially if you're a Sorc or Assassin.... heal, tank,dps, all require a respec.

This game needs dual spec for classes that have dual purposes, period.

I respec constantly with field respec on my sorc. PVP, operations, and dailies all have different setups for me. I don't have any issues. It's probably harder for me to swap from PVE to PVP gear since the relics and implants require me to open my character screen than it is to respec my talents.

You can field respec, I don't think it's necessary.

Yes, you can, but it would be better if you could save your specs (which is essentially what dual spec is) for easy recall instead of having to re-enter all the points each time.

Necessary, probably not. Quality of life for the player... absolutely. So they should do it.

Yes, you can, but it would be better if you could save your specs (which is essentially what dual spec is) for easy recall instead of having to re-enter all the points each time.

Necessary, probably not. Quality of life for the player... absolutely. So they should do it.

Fell out of my chair when I realized that I agree 100% with the author...:D

Am I one of the few who doesn't want or see the need for a dual-spec? I mean, if I'm making my character a tank, I plan on them being a tank, period. If I'm making my character a healer, then I plan on them being a healer - period. If I'm making a character a DPS, then I'm making them a DPS - period. I don't see the point to swapping specs all the time - I think it's better to pick a spec and stick with it to learn all the little nuances of it.

That said, I can see the point to respeccing your guy, if you end up not liking the path you're on. Making your guy from a healer to a DPS, or a tank to a DPS, or vice-versa with either of those, takes a bit more than a simple skillpoint distribution. For a DPS, changing your tree you're specced into doesn't take much effort, since you're still doing damage and probably recycle the same gear - the only change is in how that damage comes about (burns for Watchmen Sentinels, bursts and speed with Combat Sentinels, etc.)

That's just my thoughts on it.

Am I one of the few who doesn't want or see the need for a dual-spec? I mean, if I'm making my character a tank, I plan on them being a tank, period. If I'm making my character a healer, then I plan on them being a healer - period. If I'm making a character a DPS, then I'm making them a DPS - period. I don't see the point to swapping specs all the time - I think it's better to pick a spec and stick with it to learn all the little nuances of it.

That said, I can see the point to respeccing your guy, if you end up not liking the path you're on. Making your guy from a healer to a DPS, or a tank to a DPS, or vice-versa with either of those, takes a bit more than a simple skillpoint distribution. For a DPS, changing your tree you're specced into doesn't take much effort, since you're still doing damage and probably recycle the same gear - the only change is in how that damage comes about (burns for Watchmen Sentinels, bursts and speed with Combat Sentinels, etc.)

That's just my thoughts on it.

This spread is specifically about dual-speccing : The ability, with one button, switch your spec and hotbars to another pre-saved spec you made.

You're mostly talking about the simple ability to respec... which is absolutely vital. With constant class changes, nerfs and buffs, it's important that the user be able to change their talent trees.

But changing your role is healthy too... sometimes you just want a break when you're doing a FP with your guildies. Also, sometimes as a DPS who has a tanking spec, and one of your MT's isn't online, it's nice to have someone be able to switch it up and tank. And people who do dps but also tank when needed in my guild do it just fine, no need to punish them just because some people can't handle 2 different roles.

Yes but you still have to redo your hotbars.

the UI is client side now, so u can save many different UI setups

as for the dual spec i want a skill tree setup just like UI works (client side with different saves so i dont need to remark the skills each time i change)

and overall, we still need the fee for each change

Edited by Kissakias

I can agree with this. Field respec is great, but it's a pain in the butt quality of life improvement. I don't know about most SWTOR players, but remembering what points I need to dump into my spec to make sure it's optimal isn't on the top of my priority list of things to remember in real life or in SWTOR. If I had dual spec I’d be more willing to start a tank spec and help out the tanking problem, but as it stands I don’t have the time to remember something as trivial as what points go where in my tree each time I respect.

the UI is client side now, so u can save many different UI setups

I know, but does this save the location of all abilities from one spec to another?

I don't think it does but I could be wrong.... like I said, I'm an Annihilation Marauder so I've only respecc'd a couple of times and that was months ago.

Character is in a guild. Guild is planning a raid. Said raid only needs 1 tank for most of the fights, but needs 2 tanks for a couple of them. Your character is a tank, but you were smart and picked up the DPS gear that would have otherwise been wasted through various raids. You can:

1) Not go because you're a tank, and only a tank, so aren't needed for 3/4 of the raid or

2) Go and DPS 3/4 of the raid, swapping to tank spec for the boss fights that you need to tank

And a dual spec option would simply remove the need to memorize specs (helpful for those of us with several alts) and reconfigure hotbars every time we swap.

Yes but you still have to redo your hotbars.

Which is really easy...so easy that I can go from dps to tank in the time the 1st round ends and the 2nd round starts in voidstar.

Its not like you are replacing every single ability just a few, I think I change up like 5 abilities max when I respec as my core abilities don't change at all.

I know, but does this save the location of all abilities from one spec to another?

I don't think it does but I could be wrong.... like I said, I'm an Annihilation Marauder so I've only respecc'd a couple of times and that was months ago.

when u change fro dps to tank, go to UI and load your tank UI in your specific char

my UI setups in each char have the char name and the spec

example: kissakias-dps-pve kissakias-tank-pve e.t.c.

Which is really easy...so easy that I can go from dps to tank in the time the 1st round ends and the 2nd round starts in voidstar.

Its not like you are replacing every single ability just a few, I think I change up like 5 abilities max when I respec as my core abilities don't change at all.

Tell that to the people whining about how their characters were dropped to F2P status, relogged and found all their hotbars wiped out and had to reset them all.

You would be changing more, because importance of abilities change. I use a Razer naga, and my first 6 buttons on the side are the most used abilities. If I changed specs, I would have to rearrange a lot.

Edited by monkgryphon

Just because it's easy for you, or even easy for everyone, doesn't mean something as simple as a dual-spec option should not be added to the game. The coding would be relatively minor and it would make quite a few people happy. If we were requesting, say, they recode the whole game to remove the trinity concept then sure I can see a reason to object, but most of this is UI based and can be saved locally in preferences files.

There are some things that should be in a MMO from day 1. This is one of them.

Character is in a guild. Guild is planning a raid. Said raid only needs 1 tank for most of the fights, but needs 2 tanks for a couple of them. Your character is a tank, but you were smart and picked up the DPS gear that would have otherwise been wasted through various raids. You can:

1) Not go because you're a tank, and only a tank, so aren't needed for 3/4 of the raid or

2) Go and DPS 3/4 of the raid, swapping to tank spec for the boss fights that you need to tank

And a dual spec option would simply remove the need to memorize specs (helpful for those of us with several alts) and reconfigure hotbars every time we swap.

It just sounds like such a cop-out to me and making things easier. I'm a fairly easygoing player, but it just... I don't know, it just seems to "cheapen" it to me. Still, I guess it couldn't hurt - as long as it doesn't become "the norm" for everyone to assume that everyone has two specs that they use and swap between. I'd personally be keeping all my guys single-role and single-spec, and last thing I'd want is someone giving me hell because "why don't you have stuff for BOTH roles!?!? Why don't you use THIS SPEC for your Sentinel!?!?" Because I made my choice, and it's what I know. It's what I'm good at. I'm sure the playstyle for a Watchman is vastly different from what I'm accustomed to with my Combat-spec.