Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Windows 8 and SWTOR

Radzkie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WIndows 8 has been a failure thus far, in terms of sales for Microsoft .. They've done it again by releasing an OS thats on par with Windows Vista .. They have alienated the customer base with removal of the start bar, horrible Metro interface, etc'; Yes, you can get the start bar back with a third party app, but do you really expect a general users to do so? You sir, know nothing about nothing ..

Obvious troll post not even on topic. The OP wanted to know how SWTOR ran on Windows 8 and had heard that it didn't run well. All of the on-topic posts were addressing how well Windows 8 supported games, in particular SWTOR. My comments were addressed to that and added an option if you didn't like the "Modern" (they can't use Metro it is copyrighted) interface.

But nice try. BTW most of the tech reviewers also point out the options to get the start bar back so I'm in good company on that point :)

For the most part it runs ok on Windows 8 for me. I have some issues with the client just crashing when in Flash points and the story does a light speed jump like at the end of Esseles and beginning of HM Foundry.

My build:

Asus Maximus Extreme IV

Intel i7-3770K @4.2 GHZ

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

EVGA GTX 680 2GB x2 in SLI

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB

Windows 8 Pro 64bit with Media Center

WIndows 8 has been a failure thus far, in terms of sales for Microsoft .. They've done it again by releasing an OS thats on par with Windows Vista .. They have alienated the customer base with removal of the start bar, horrible Metro interface, etc'; Yes, you can get the start bar back with a third party app, but do you really expect a general users to do so? You sir, know nothing about nothing ..

Where are you getting that info from?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/business-technology/40-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-betters-first-month-sales-of-7/article5750994/

Microsoft Corp has sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses in the month since the launch, according to one of the new co-heads of the Windows unit, setting a faster pace than Windows 7 three years ago.

Tami Reller, finance and marketing head of the Windows business, did not give a precise comparison, but sales of 40 million licenses for Windows 8, launched on Oct. 26, appear to be ahead of Windows 7, which sold just over 60 million units in the first 10 weeks on sale at the end of 2009.

SWTOR runs just fine with WIndows 8. However Windows 8 doesn't have all drivers and software stable.It seems you need to be careful what you same time with SWTOR and check the you have stable drivers.

My SWTOR have been stable about two weeks until today when I used Expand Drive + Team Speak and it twice crashed when I was in Fleet after WZ. Otherwise its been really stable last few weeks with Windows 8.

If you don't need Windows 8 don't go to it. You wont gain much for it. User experience is horrible and Windows 7 is far more stable enviroment. Windows 8 is worst OS on the market now hands down.

Dont know what they were thinking in Microsoft.

Can confirm working 100% on Windows 8 with 0 problems here.

Installed, patched opened it and bam working fine every since not even a crash yet.

Infact most of my games run better on Windows 8 than they do on Windows 7. Not to mention the speed in which Windows 8 boots up and the slight performance increase.

Not a fan of "Metro" UI but install "Start8" and your good to go.

People tend to ***** about OS and issues with it then blame everyone else besides themselves. Windows 8 works fine with every game I've tried up to now.

Every post I've read says that performance is HORRIBLE on windows 8. Thing is, all the shops I go to only sells computers with windows 8 OS. Which is understandable...

People still buy computers in shops? Just build your own. Unless of course you're talking craptops - then carry on.

I see the home PC experts are getting all whipped up into their standard post Windows OS new release frenzy.

Windows 7 is a very good OS.

Windows 8 is better.

Windows 8 is not Vista.

SWTOR will run at the worst equal to Windows 7 on Windows 8 but because of the way SWTOR is "optimized" most people will see an improvement on Windows 8.

Windows 8 Pro is NOT a Tablet OS, though it is user experience is moving PC users towards a mobile frame of mind. The ARM version of Windows 8 IS a tablet OS and will not run on a PC and the PC version of Windows 8 (Pro) will not run on an ARM Tablet. Intel/AMD tablets will run PC Windows 8.

The ARM Surface tablets that were released with Windows 8 are like Android Tablets. That is why their sales sucked. Windows 8 corporate customers want tablets that can be used in place of their laptop or workstations. The Pro Surface tablets come out in February. Those will not suck and those will sell a ton. Windows 8 sales will take off at this point.

Windows 8 is Microsoft's first generation shift into OS centralization. That is the idea that your OS looks and "feels" the same on all accepted common use hardware platforms. Tablets, Touch Ultra-books and Smart Phones are now standards in the home and workplace. Microsoft is adapting to the...paradigm shift. Had to use the phrase because...it fits.

Basic Overview: Windows 8 is like Windows 7 except when you shut off Windows 8 it is actually going into a form of hibernation. That is why it starts so fast. All the drivers, common system processes, services etc are stored in a large "dump file" that is loaded on boot. Because of this when you boot in Windows 8 it doesn't really speak to the BIOS anymore because it doesn't need to query the BIOS for hardware interface (driver loading) making it even faster to boot. It also stores commonly used apps (like a superfetch) in this "flat file" so it makes your hard drive behave more like a solid state drive (note the word "like"). Most of the "crashes" or bugs gamers have found is this mode moving files in and out of protected memory spaces in a manner that is different than has been used before. Games will ultimately benefit from this design immensely as their coders get familiar with the changes.

Its resource handling is superior to Windows 7. Its security is FAR superior to Windows 7. Its driver interface is superior (though the hardware companies are as usual behind on getting full support in place but will catch up fast---was the same with Windows 7). It is a superior OS to Windows 7.

The Metro interface is a bit off putting at first but when you realize two things you get used to it fast.

1. The Metro interface on a PC is nothing more than an exploded Start button in the form of a screen view.

2. The traditional Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, 95 Desktop is still right there...just click...Desktop. You can even put the Desktop short cut in your "Start Up" programs folder and skip right to the desktop after a 1-2 second glimpse of the Metro screen.

The one mistake Microsoft has made was not keeping the Start button for PC/Laptop users. I get they are moving towards a new interface but Windows 8 should have been Metro under the hood vs the hood. People are stupid and change scares them. I would expect SP 1 to bring the Start Button back and Metro a part of the shell you can switch to. You can download "Classic Shell" for free from Source Forge and put it back now. Just Google it, works great and actually ads features Windows 7 doesn't which make Windows 10x better.

For those who have Windows 8 and who might be getting the occasional crash with a game (or any app), simply right click the game icon and select properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, check the Compatibility mode "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", drop down the box below and select "Windows 7". Click Apply, Click Ok, start your game(or app). This will remove some of the Windows 8 resource improvement APIs from interacting with the game.

Overall, Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in every way but the change to the Start button and even that is easy to get over once you get familiar with the various ways Windows 8 does things.

And remember, Microsoft is on a hard 2 year release schedule promise to their corporate EA/SA customers...Windows 9 will be here by early 2015. It will be moving even more to "Metro" look and use.

Stop spreading false info. It is clear most of the people who are dogging Windows 8 really have no experience with API programing or deep level OS troubleshooting.

Dell makes some good machines, and have Alienware under their belt these days, or maybe you hadnt heard of them and gaming in your 20 years? Not going to dispute your little list there, but you need a big asterisk on it, with the proviso " * on our test system", which means it's not going to be the same for everyone. Win8 does run very slightly better for most people, especially on lower end systems, but as noted in many places there is the issue of periodic frame dropping.

I (probably) wouldnt go out and buy win7 if I bought a new computer with win8 on it, but given the option, in my and many others opinion, win7 is a better desktop OS in nearly every respect if you arent a total computer retard and arent put off by things like a decent desktop UI designed to do more than one thing at a time.

Dell is a joke Alienware is over priced when you can buy the same parts on newegg put it together yourself for at least half the cost. Windows 8 is fine and runs better on higher end machines before you come on here acting like you know something actually do a little resaerch and tell people the truth. Their is a reason dell has alienware **** even if you cant put them together yourslef go to cyberpower pc and get more for your money. Like I said do alittle research and you will realize how alienware is a joke.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.