Romance Allowed for the jedi classes?

RevanKnight

the reason a jedi gets darkside points is because of passion and what it can cause you to do. imagine what a jedi would do if he cause his lover cheating on him, wow someone is getting killed. Think of all the irrational things we do ourselvs for our better half. A perfict example is aniken skywalker, alot of things led to him joining the darkside, but ultamitly it was because he was led to belive only the darkside could save padame.

now i myself am still gonna be a jedi with a girl because we can always make our light side points by redoing flashpoints and whatnot and choose light side options during convos.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lol'd

Except in my case it would be

"oh, honey, i'm going out for a girls night out, i'll probably won't be home for several days, most probably i'll be very tired when i do come back.."

Jedi husband:

*stops reading, mulls over words, peers over the edge of the holo-paper*

"off to save the galaxy again and show you're a force of good?"

Me: "Yes dear, we're going to Tattooine to help free slavers and take down a slave ring"

Jedi husband: "well alright, bring me back a color crystal, and something for the kids, they like souvenirs, don't get hurt!"

Me: "Always bring back awesome presents, and I won't, you worry to much, it's not like I don't have backup blaster pistols" *kisses on cheek, heads for ship bay*

I was thinking you would have him wave his hand, softly saying "You will be staying in this evening."

It's funny how in KOTOR the message was "love will save you from the dark side", and was thumped into your skull by Jolee Bindo, Bastilla, Carth, etc. But in TOR it's the Dark Side option.

I don't recall Bastilla or Carth being very adamant about that issue. Jolee was the only one I can remember who took that stand.

In the jedi councilor quest line there is a couple of jedi in a romantic situation. Their going to be punished for this, by the council.

After the way the girl, i played though with a female councilor, acted I would punish her as her actions are definately leading to anger.

I only ever pursued a romance with Bastila in KOTOR and she practically resisted the whole way because of her vows as a Jedi.

It takes her Face Heel Turn to the Dark side to accept her feelings.

...so I guess it makes sense that you get Dark Side points for pursuing or allowing romance with other Jedi. Suits me just fine, I wasn't planning on being a full Light side, Saber-up-the-*** Jedi anyway. :p

It's not that love is darkside, anymore than being abstinent is lightside. It's what love makes you do that makes you darkside.

Bastila returned to the light side because of her love for Revan.

Jolee left the Jedi and became the Ghost of Kashyyyk because of his lost love.

Briana betrayed her sisters because of her love of the Exile (male version).

Some of these could be considered naturally darkside actions, but they were guided by love through compassion.

Love is a conduit for either Compassion or Rage/Jealousy. This is where you get light v. dark.

Come to the Dark Side. We have sex.

Sex isn't against the code, just emotional attachment. Where do you think all the new Jedi would come from otherwise :p

I love that the current Grand Master of the Jedi was born of a Jedi Union and is descendant from Bastila and Revan, and yet Jedi love is DS? lol

If you read "Revan" you know they weren't considered Jedi by the Council after they got married and had Satele's father. If you read the comic series "Lost Suns" you'd know that Satele isnt even emotionally attached to her son and didnt raise him at all, but she did give birth to him.

Passion is a resolution a Jedi cannot afford to have. The Jedi must love the galaxy greater than all; not oneself nor another. The dark side is promoted through selfishness, the selfless act of devotion to the code is a benefit to one selves. If you fall for another, do not give in but first calculate the costs and choose wisely. You may find that you cannot service both and must give up on the Jedi for love, or you may find that you must give up on romance. Now run along youngling.

Love leads to possessiveness, possessiveness leads to fear of losing the one you love...

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering...

Love inevitable leaves a Jedi open to becoming corrupted by the aspect of losing their loved ones.

They are Jedi "Monks".

Sex isn't against the code, just emotional attachment. Where do you think all the new Jedi would come from otherwise :p

Sex without emotional attachment? So the Jedi are like a bunch of college students?

I always thought baby Jedi came from under cabbage leaves. Or something like that.

Sure, Jedi probably have sex with no emotional attachment... but certainly not children. The new Jedi don't come from Jedi parents.

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Chaos, yet harmony.

Death, yet the Force.

was revised to

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

by Odan-Urr

and as such is subject to interpretation

In the jedi councilor quest line there is a couple of jedi in a romantic situation. Their going to be punished for this, by the council.

After the way the girl, i played though with a female councilor, acted I would punish her as her actions are definately leading to anger.

i agree.

I would hate to get Dark Side points for pursuing a Romantic relationship as a Jedi.

Not every decision that you feel is right is the light side option. I know I made some decisions I saw as perfectly justifiable that earned me dark side points in the beta.

If you plan to do everything 100% lightside then you are the picture perfect Jedi who will never make a questionable decision because you see it being the best one in the long run. Those kind of Jedi do not have forbidden romances.

Apparently you need to review his story better.

How so? He was too blind and arrogant to see the corruption in his wife, whom he trained against the Order's wishes -- they saw she wasn't Jedi material, but of course in his eyes she was perfect and he wouldn't have any of it. When she finally revealed the extent of her corruption he defeated her, but was too weak-minded to actually do anything about her. So he let her go on to murder countless people. Then, instead of trying to work through it all with the help of the Jedi and put his life back together, he ran away because he couldn't forgive himself and couldn't accept that anyone would. He basically wasted his life running and hiding until the amnesiac Revan inadvertently made him realize that he still has responsibilities, that there are still things that matter.

This love didn't "save" anyone and "condemned" many, including his wife. Jolee himself failed as badly as anyone could without falling outright -- and he knows it. Enthusing about love as some kind of magically infallible panacea makes absolutely no sense in the light of all this. It is only a good thing if the people involved are good, strong and honest. And as Jolee's example shows, most people aren't as strong and honest or as smart and wise as they think they are, especially when the hormones run amok.

I liked Jolee quite a lot, but he is not an infallible font of wisdom in general and not on this issue in particular. And I like his backstory because of its failures, and the fact that they are his own and he knows it. It's refreshingly realistic.

I wonder how many different codes that are supposed to be similar to the Jedi/Sith codes I have seen on these forums. I think half the Jedi/Sith playing this will be part of some force wielding cult with their own code.

Trouble is, lightside is modeled after the Jedi code. You don't get full lightside for following your own code. If you want to be a grey jedi that is cool. I will likely break the code sometimes too. But don't be too upset about the darkside points you earn.

Edited by AndiusTheGreat

It takes Dark Side points because falling in love is specifically against the jedi code.

"There is no emotion, there is peace"

That is not to say jedi are without emotion, it's just to say that they try not to let emotion guide their decisions and actions, and the jedi council (at the time of the old republic) understands that falling in love is a huge emotional attachment that can lead to all kinds of emotional breakdowns therefore increasing the lure of the dark side.

This myth, again. Here we go. Getting angry, falling in love, feeling happy, being sad, getting desperate, or nervous, none of these are against the Jedi Code at all. People think they are because they interpret the Jedi Code literally, and mantra cannot be interpreted literally.

How so? He was too blind and arrogant to see the corruption in his wife, whom he trained against the Order's wishes -- they saw she wasn't Jedi material, but of course in his eyes she was perfect and he wouldn't have any of it. When she finally revealed the extent of her corruption he defeated her, but was too weak-minded to actually do anything about her.

Jolee was 100% right to not kill her. It is against Jedi teaching to kill at all save in the most extreme situations, where innocent life is immediately in danger. Killing the defeated and helpless is a great way to speed toward the dark side. It wasn't that Jolee was weak-minded, he was a good Jedi, even if he did make a mistake by training her, which, btw, the outcome of that does in no way invalidate his points. All that means is that he was unable to live up to the standard.

Then, instead of trying to work through it all with the help of the Jedi and put his life back together, he ran away because he couldn't forgive himself and couldn't accept that anyone would. He basically wasted his life running and hiding until the amnesiac Revan inadvertently made him realize that he still has responsibilities, that there are still things that matter.

That was his only real mistake, his inability to let go of his ego and realize his real purpose and identity.

This love didn't "save" anyone and "condemned" many, including his wife.

If you are going to say love was responsible for Jolee's wife falling to the dark side, the first thing I will do is ask you to prove that, which I know for a fact you won't be able to find conclusive proof for. I can however prove that love is a redeeming force, a theme we see multiple times in Star Wars. We see it in RotJ, KotOR, and it is expounded upon greatly in the RotS novelization by Matthew Stover.

Enthusing about love as some kind of magically infallible panacea makes absolutely no sense in the light of all this.

"The Dark is generous, patient, and it always wins. But at the heart of its strength lies its weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." -Matthew Stover, Revenge of the Sith.

"Jedi are not forbidden to love, the Jedi should love, they should love everyone, including their enemies. The Jedi should love the Sith." -George Lucas, RotS DVD commentary.

Love has been shown, time and again, to be the single greatest weapon in the Jedi arsenal in the war against the dark.

It is only a good thing if the people involved are good, strong and honest. And as Jolee's example shows, most people aren't as strong and honest or as smart and wise as they think they are, especially when the hormones run amok.

The problem lies not with love, but with the inability to let go when it is the natural time to do so. That was the problem that the Tyrant Holdfast had, the problem that Anakin had, and the problem that every single Sith has, the inability to let go of their own selves, and their own power, which are in many ways one and the same.

I liked Jolee quite a lot, but he is not an infallible font of wisdom in general and not on this issue in particular. And I like his backstory because of its failures, and the fact that they are his own and he knows it. It's refreshingly realistic.

Agreed, but just because he had hang-ups doesn't make his ideas wrong.

I wonder how many different codes that are supposed to be similar to the Jedi/Sith codes I have seen on these forums.

Since everyone nowadays seems to like taking and twisting what other people have made, and using the twisted version of the original to express their individuality, I would imagine quite a bit.

As far as I understood there is nothing inherently dark side about love. The problem is what it makes you do. Light side Jedi are meant to be above emotion so they can make the best decisions for the common good without distraction. Going above and beyond to save all the little helpless people no matter the personal risk and so forth. Problem is if you love someone you will put them above everything else... choice of saving a ship full of strangers or your loved one? Letting a thousand innocents die to save your selfish romance is nothing but dark side. You cannot be objective and in love.

I would hope BioWare have done it so the initial "aww cute, they finally got together" bit is neutral but then it puts you in a situation were to keep up the romance you have to do something evil. That way you go into the relationship with the old naive "but WE won't be corrupted by this" and end up either having to quickly dig your way out or find yourself standing over slaughtered townsfolk...