Companion to use while levelling

laz_AU

I also realised that my main has max cybertech and so i can make T7 armour then grab the quest rewards for kira. I figure the best way to do it is kira for trash then t7 (or maybe doc when i get him) for the harder ones

Used T7 until doc and then doc rest of the way. Worked pretty well with little down time. Remember the companions fully heal when you mount or use rocket boots. So if you are using T7 or Kira get rocket boots 3 and just fly from one set of mobs to the next and never worry about healing them.

The biggest problem with Sentinel is that there is a huge gap between getting Kira and then getting Doc. Doc is, with a pretty much consensus vote, the best companion for Sentinels.

I used Kira while leveling for these reasons:

1) T7 is a droid and therefore uses droid parts (which as far as I can tell NEVER drop from mobs) as well as blasters. Therefore he is either using crappy quest reward items (which generally lag behind statwise compared to the content you tackle) or I have to invest a lot to keep his gear up.

2) T7's tanking ability is very low if he doesn't have good gear. Also as you start to hit some of the harder planets like Alderaan and Tatooine, he doesn't hold up very well in a fight.

3) Kira uses people clothes and sabers. Since I was artifice, I was able to provide her with blue-grade hilts, crystals and enhancements in her armor (bought her the all-orange ceremonial garb on Coruscant) and only had to worry about keeping up her armoring and mods to a lesser extent from commendations or GTN. Also occassionally you'll get a good drop from mobs that will help improve her overall stats too.

4) Kira is damage and I am damage. Since the Sentinel doesn't have an extremely wide array of defensive options til later levels, I found it was easier to just try to blow through mobs as fast as I could, and Kira helps more with that than having T7 standing there getting pummeled. Most times Kira was able to finish off one or two weak grade enemies while I was working on someone stronger.

5) I preferred having Kira around for story purposes, so I wanted to make sure she was getting all the approval and not T7. Also I preferred being able to manage her weapon and clothing apperances as opposed to T7 who has a static model that doesn't change with gear, even though that has no direct effect on the gameplay.

I also realised that my main has max cybertech and so i can make T7 armour then grab the quest rewards for kira. I figure the best way to do it is kira for trash then t7 (or maybe doc when i get him) for the harder ones

If you have Cybertech then you can make blue armorings for any and every of your companions

If you have Cybertech then you can make blue armorings for any and every of your companions

Yeh but i can also make actual droid parts for T7 so i should be able to keep him geared without much quest gear or comms

Thanks for all the help guys think im going to roll with Kira (keeping her geared with quest rewards, drops, synthweaving and extra comms) then pull out T7 (keeping him geared with cybertech on an alt and excess coms for his weapon) for boss fights or heroics. Then Doc all the way once i get him

Hopefully this can help others with the same quetion

I love using Kira on my Sentinel and my Guardian. I actually use her as a tank lol. I send her in first to get aggro and then I jump in and kill whatever is left standing. She was my go to character while leveling until I got Doc. T7 was just too hard to keep geared but I used him on bosses where Kira died way too easily. That way T7 could tank em while I destroyed em.

If you have Legacy perk:

I purchased HK-51 for my mid aged Marauder, got the moddable droid armor (level 12, 16, 24, 30) and non moddable in between. For conversations I use other companions but for mincing through enemies - HK. :)

HK eats aim / cunning mods and is easy to feed as GTN is full of cheap green quality modifications.

Edited by BogyOne

In the end, its use the healer companion or have downtime after every single fight and even then if they get lucky crits, you will still get some downtime, player healers will always be much better then companion healers, i would have preferred the companion choice to travel with would have been solely to preference on their personality.

Does he talk while summoned though?

He has a few combats emotes like all other companions. He won't tell you that he has fluffed your pillows or prepared healthy meals though :).

He is a pretty decent healer though (enough to keep you alive on fights that aren't going well with T7 or Kira) until you get Doc.