The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Item drop etiquette question

Directorbrad

Now apologies in advance if this sounds snarly but I have to ask.

I realize the demands of a functioning social life and occasional romantic life leaves me with much less time to play online RPG's, as opposed to some of the knobs I have encountered today. So perhaps I am not up on the etiquette for clicking need on pretend items during a Flashpoint.

I was under the impression the way the game works is if you need the item, you click need, if you don't you click pass and if you want it to sell or some such you click greed. This is how I play and assumed of others as well. Some items that dropped I wanted for my companions so of course I clicked need on a couple of drops and got reamed out and booted. I even stated if someone wanted the item they just had to ask and I would hand it over, which I did for one of them.

See I can do this because I don't actually give a cats behind about pretend pants on a silly video game. I pass on stuff all the time and give the items away if I am asked nicely.

So what is the "rules" here...is needing on items for companions kosher? I would love peoples opinions.

Edited by Directorbrad

The unwritten rule is: You never select "Need" for an item if it's something you want for a companion. "Need" roles are only for items that your actual character can use. Gear for a companion is not considered a high enough priority for you to select Need. If you want it for a companion, you select Greed and hope that the role goes your way (granted you'll often come away empty -handed, but that's just how it works out sometimes). Sometimes the loot rules are not clearly communicated to new players and there can be some anger on all sides, but at least now you'll know for future reference.

If you want the item for a companion or another toon, ask before you click need. More times than you can imagine people will have no problem telling you it’s cool. This goes especially for HM Flash Points most items in the HM FP can be attained from venders with commendations. Once you get into Ops (Raids) this becomes a different story most items cannot be attained with commendations, so here only need on items that you defiantly need for the current toon you are on.

I have been in Ops groups were the group leader (this is very rare) set himself as the master looter. He was the only one that could loot the items. He would open the chest and link the item in the chat window so everyone could see it and people could debate on what they needed and why. if every said they didn’t need it and some asked if they could have it for their companion/alt, and no one objected then that person was allowed to need it. Once everyone concludes who gets what, then the loot system was changed. The one that chose a certain item needed it and everyone else passed.

Generally, I don’t get upset or curse at someone if they need on an item that is not for their toon. I will ask them if they really needed the item that defiantly does not help their toon at all, for instance a vibro knife and he is a Shadow.

I will ask them if they understand the "unwritten" rule of need over greed. If they say no, I will explain it to them. If they say yes, I will ask that they adhere to it.

Mistakes happen a loot item that you need on that you mistakenly thought could be used on your toon only to realize after the fact that either you already have better or you cannot use it. If this is the case post it in the chat that you made an oops and ask if anyone needs it. Try to do this before anyone says anything to you, because they are already talking about you...trust me.

If you deliberately roll 'Need' for a companion, without asking for and/or receiving permission from your groupmates, you are a douchebag. If the people you're with are fine, with it, go right ahead. Not everyone needs the gear that is dropped, and simply displaying common courtesy will often get you farther than if you were to just assume that it was okay and go right ahead and roll 'Need' for it.

In my own experience, I always roll 'Greed' for companions, no matter what, because it's not the only gear that will ever drop, and I can always pick up PVP or Commendation gear for my companions. Item drops are not the only source of loot for one's companion(s).

Now apologies in advance if this sounds snarly but I have to ask.

I realize the demands of a functioning social life and occasional romantic life leaves me with much less time to play online RPG's, as opposed to some of the knobs I have encountered today. So perhaps I am not up on the etiquette for clicking need on pretend items during a Flashpoint.

I was under the impression the way the game works is if you need the item, you click need, if you don't you click pass and if you want it to sell or some such you click greed. This is how I play and assumed of others as well. Some items that dropped I wanted for my companions so of course I clicked need on a couple of drops and got reamed out and booted. I even stated if someone wanted the item they just had to ask and I would hand it over, which I did for one of them.

See I can do this because I don't actually give a cats behind about pretend pants on a silly video game. I pass on stuff all the time and give the items away if I am asked nicely.

So what is the "rules" here...is needing on items for companions kosher? I would love peoples opinions.

Your companion did not contribute to the group. Taking that cunning gear for Mako because it will help her heal you over the operative who has healed and supported the group through the flashpoint is a serious social faux pas. IF your companion was out and actively contributing to the group then I could see needing on gear for the role your companion filled. However that gear you needed on ideally should go to the PLAYER who filled the role and needs it more.

The rule is more like this:

NEED: on something that benefits your CURRENT SPEC that you used to contribute to the group and the current fight in order for said gear to drop. If you primarily run DPS but ran heals this time, you do not need on DPS gear unless the group is cool with it (meaning you ask them first). You do not need for your companion unless your group is cool with it (meaning you ask first).

GREED: Anything other than directly equipping an item (vendor, GTN, companion, etc).

PASS: Because somebody has already rolled need and you know you won't win it anyway or for some stupid reason you don't want credits.

To recap. You were reamed and booted because your companion is not a contributing member of the group. You were in a group, needing on something that helps you SOLO and will not in any capacity help you in flashpoints is not needing at all, it's want. That's what greed is for.

Edited by eldefail

The unwritten rule is: You never select "Need" for an item if it's something you want for a companion. "Need" roles are only for items that your actual character can use. Gear for a companion is not considered a high enough priority for you to select Need. If you want it for a companion, you select Greed and hope that the role goes your way (granted you'll often come away empty -handed, but that's just how it works out sometimes). Sometimes the loot rules are not clearly communicated to new players and there can be some anger on all sides, but at least now you'll know for future reference.

I agree 100%. I have been on several FP's where there were commando's selecting "need" on items with willpower or strength. And everytime he would get the item and then would say, oh my bad. I didn't know you wanted that. Well after the third time, I sort of "forgot" to heal him. Poof. Oooopsie. My bad. I didn't know you wanted to be healed.

F2P has brought about a rash of ninjas. Have had it happen to me several times recently but half the time don't even waste the time trying to explain it to them anymore, especially if they're rolling need on items that neither them nor their companion can even equip to begin with. I mean, come on, they can't even figure that one out on their own? Hell no you don't really need it if you can't even use it. Edited by Belacose

Need and want are determined by each individual, not just by one person in the group. If someone roles need because they want that piece for their companion, that's a legitimate need imo.

You cannot know what they want it for unless they tell you, and if you don't like their reason it's really just too bad. If they roll on something you want and you lose that's just how the system works, it's not for you to decide that your need is greater.

The want and need buttons are a nice option for curteous people that don't want interfere on loot rolls for items that have no purpose for them, but it's not like there's a law prohibiting someone from rolling need for any reason they darn well choose. I say get over it and if someone bothers you by doing that so much, don't group with them any more. As for me, I'd just try again next time.

Edited by bahdasz