SWTOR Api for developers

aramilnaile

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
/little bump after one month ;)

@Eric, Tait, Courtney, Pokket - is there any chance to get a comment on this topic ;) ?

i wouldn't hold my breath on either happening (comment or an API) the odds of either are a pretty slim.

• 1 month later...

An API would be realy cool.

I think about somethink like :

• Credits in the guild vault (can used to set a goal at a website)
  • Number of online member at the guild
  • Server status

Of course think like Player level, Equipment,... would be also nice, but maybe we can start with some basics.

Realy hope to see somethink like that.

Greetings

• 4 weeks later...

I also would like to see an API for swtor.

Personally i would like it for the following reasons:

Guild: List guild member, Guild Ranks Member Ranks, MOTD, Description, Funds, Bank tabs, Stronghold/flagship details.

Character: Name, Level,Class, Abilities, gear, stats. active missions, completed missions, Bank Tabs, Inventory, Crewskills, Maps unlocked, unread mails, GTN details

Legacy: Achievements unlocked, Achievement progress, Legacy Storage Details, Stronghold Status, Market purchases, Reputation

All this is basic information from the database POV.

accessing it in a read only format even if it took up to 24hrs to update could be of a lot of use.

One thing i would at least like to see added though is chat logging. the combat log shows it is possible. all that changes is what is logged. and i reckon we will see the chatlog before the API.

ooh... imagine if they added a feature to the security key app on smartphones allowing you to log into just the chat part from your phone! talk ot the guild on the go!

but the main point of this post is to add another voice to the crowd desperately calling for API access

I can understand the reluctance of the devs to implement an api a little bit. The risk of opening up weak point for cheaters, hackers and other nefarious entities through such an api is not implausible. I can imagine that such a thing could quickly lead to fear for loosing players.

But not having an api might be a restricting factor for the growth of the player base as well. I was thinking that maybe ther is a middle road to be found. The requests for an api is mostly motivated by the desire to seek out data from the game about players and guilds and then display that in some form customized to the needs of their specific target audience.

Why not copy that data (maybe at request or something) from the game yourselves (which you probably do any way wanting to keep track of things yourselves) and then put that data into a database or something for which you then make an api available so the data can be used without any direct interaction with the gameservers. It will not cover the needs of every developer but for those seeking to collect and display or analyze the stats for their guilds and their members and or publish leaderboards or whatnot it would at least show that you're willing to accomodate them.

• 3 weeks later...

it would even be a huge help if they released a database dump of all items and creatures/npc's that exist allowing for detailed information to be gathered en mass since a lot of the information about gears stats etc could be collected by players but would take an unfeasibly large amount of time when all that information already exists in a format that is easily readable for a computer.

or with security concerns they could have a secondary database, once every 24hrs it copies character data, guild data, item data and any other non secure data but leaves out account data etc.

then use the secondary database for API access, the data is slightly out of date but far better than none at all.

If resources are the issue then have an opt in developer system where people sign up and get a unique api key that they can use to grab info then you know just who is using it and how much.

Then if they are worried about a particular source using it too much they can cap the access of that api key or ban it altogether and also require the account associated to be both a subscriber and have physical security key

One thing that always bugs me and makes me feel its unprofessional is the way the website goes down when the server is under maintenance.

even if the login server is the same for the game and the site it should be possible to set up a secondary server that host the information from the forums and site that is read only so people can browse the forums while the maintenance is going on.

Based the way the current setup acts it brings to my mind an image of some guy from bioware sat in his basement with an old PC in the corner labeled SWTOR running the Server and Xampp rather than some professional setup. but thats just me.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SWTOR developers,

First of all I'd like to say that I found a few topics about SWTOR Api's but I have never seen any official Bioware employee answer. We - web developers - cannot find any useful information, about realising any kind of web API, that would help us improve our websites and also Star Wars community world.

We ask You to take it seriously under the consideration because due to shared access to basic Character, Guild and Server information without any interference in these information, is able to hep us create more sophisticated portals with Star Wars information such us: character comparison, guild PVE progress, character achievements progress and in the future PVP rank list. Moreover we'd like to point out that other MMO games have their API's shared to their players.

With best regards!

May the force be with You.

Hmmm... Yeah, SERIOUSLY, WHY *ISN'T* there already a SWTOR API, right now?

What are the reasons for why it DOES NOT (yet) exist?

I love this idea! Great for FAN sites! AND ... it will hook in NEW PLAYERS!

(you hear that BW? Especially EA because that means MORE MONEY ... and we know how BAD you LOVE MONEY... uggh evil corporations!)

• 3 months later...

+1000 for this.

I have been contemplating creating an enjin replacement. It's the best of it's type out there, it's too expensive and lacking too much.

I was just doing research to see if SWTOR would be where I started, but apparently not... :/

• 2 weeks later...

i can easily give you 2 reasons why an api is probably and very very sadly not going to happen.

1. Too much money: Afterall this is EA we are talking about, i dont see them spending money on this game anymore than they have to, this game used to be full of content for MMO players and has now gone to an almost 100% single player focused online game and single people will not use the api, only guild will and since this game is not really supporting MMO play style, i dont think they will do it.

2. Slow performance: The game is already slow as it is, with things loading slowly, each time the game has to send numbers to the server, it takes a very long time also one of the reasons why we have lag, now imagine this PLUS people making services that are calling the API and stressing the servers even more.

Final Notes: I myself am a web developer amd i would LOVE to se a swtor api so we can build aweosme sites for our guilds and what not, but i just dont think EA will do this. Sorry

• 6 months later...
I think it should be no problem for them to implement an API and it would be important for guilds and many people to have somthink like that.

So if EA see any future for this game, they should work on it.

I think you spelled "useful" incorrectly. "Important" is a really weird way to spell "useful".

And no, the feature's importance for the future of the game is much less than you think it is. If this is the only thing that can save the game, it isn't worth saving.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...