Bought an ultimage gaming rig, and game is still laggy!

ZeusThunder

It's an alright PC, it's not terrible for the price, especially since you need to buy a case.

You could probably pick a Raddeon 4890, or 5830 for the same price, and both do better in benchmarks.

Alternatively, you could up your GPU price by 15 bucks and go for a 6790. I can't comment too much on Radeons myself. I owned a 5770 and it gave me a bit of trouble. I've since upgraded to a Nvidia 570GTX (the 3rd nvidia card I've owned) and love it. Having had trouble with 2 Radeon cards and none of my 3 nvidia cards, I have a hard time recommending them to anyone.

Long term, your upgrade is a bit of a dead end. AMD won't carry the AM3+ slot once they get off their duffs and release smaller architecture (32nm, or 25nm if they decide to skip ahead), the best upgrade you can get, the 1100T, is already becoming out of date, and from what I understand AMD is basically abandoning the home CPU market to Intel anyway and refocusing on server CPU architecture.

It will be a bit more expensive, but if you plan to upgrade with in a year or so, going for a SandyBridge Intel will behoove you. You'll literally be looking for just a new CPU (a 200-300 dollar upgrade) rather than a CPU and motherboard (a 350-500 dollar upgrade).

so i switched to the i3-2100 but couldnt find the 1100T motherboard you speak of, it did bring the price down so im gonna move to an nvidia card, what would you recommend to keep it under 550$ (approx 140 to spend on gpu)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And in what way is that relevant to how much memory a computer can recognize?

In a big way: memory addressing.

32-bit programs and operating systems only have 4GB of memory addressing. Without using specialized protocols/architecture to reference additional memory space, 4GB is the limit, and it must be shared by all memory using prehiperals (RAM, GPU, any USB device with memory space, etc.).

so i switched to the i3-2100 but couldnt find the 1100T motherboard you speak of, it did bring the price down so im gonna move to an nvidia card, what would you recommend to keep it under 550$ (approx 140 to spend on gpu)

Did you also change motherboards to a motherboard that supports an 1155 socket?

If you want to go with a nvidia, I'd recommend a 550 Ti GTX for around 130, or a GTX 460 for around 150. There are comparable Radeons in that price range and other people have had much better success with Radeons then I have. Going nvidia is totally a personal preference of mine due to bad experiences with Radeon, and shouldn't unduly influence you.

Edited by ialsoagree

Just so you know I'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from Bestbuy and even setup by a Geeksquad computer expert:

- 24" Viewsonic flatscreen monitor

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- Memory with 12 gigabytes of ram power

- One TERABYTE Hard Drive

- BluRay player

- Foxconn power supply with 400 wattage

- Sound Blaster sound card

- GE Force GT 520 video card

So after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of Geeksquad protection) the Star Wars game is STILL laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if I do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the Bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's Star Wars' fault.

Nice job Star Wars, you fail at making an MMO.

its not bad, very over riced but have you tryed updating your video drives for the graphics card, i have two running and if they arnt updated it lags even on the lowest settings, soon as i update nothing can stop them :)

I build my own, and if I ever did decide to build a whole new system for myself, for $1500 I would have had this at a minimum...

I5-2500k Unlocked Processor (1155)

Asus Sabertooth MB (1155)

12gb Corsair Dominator Rame DDR3 1866MHz

850w PS (verify your 12v Rail has enough Amperage for your Video Card)

EVGA GTX580 Superclocked 1.5gb Ram

A very Nice Cooler Master Tower(HAF 922)

Dual 7600rpm 80gb Sata Drive in RAID 0 (at a minimum)

1 TB Data drive

BluRay/DVD Writer

Win7pro 64bit

easily under $1500 if you know where to buy or who to ask...

I don't know that I'd call it the "Ultimate Gaming Rig", but it would get you by...

Just so you know I'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from Bestbuy and even setup by a Geeksquad computer expert:

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

So after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of Geeksquad protection) the Star Wars game is STILL laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if I do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the Bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's Star Wars' fault.

First off, just like everyone else here in the 20+ pages of thslis thread have already stated: Never trust Best Buy for a gaming computer, they are salespeople, not experts.

Second, return it to as soon as you can, get your money back and go either build one yourself from ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com, or head to your local computer store and buy the parts individually, bring a computer savvy friend with you to help you pick the componets out.

I bought a pc from ibuypower, I like it, it runs SW:TOR just fine, I spent 500 on it and put in a 3yr old graphics card and I have had no problems.

Im not running it on high settings either, as I know the limitations of my GPU and am trying to preseve it until I get my tax return, then I will get a 570 or better.

Many people dont like ibuypower, which is fine. I am happy with my computer. Its a lot better than what I ran in Beta which was a notebook pc never designed to play games at all (Compaq CQ60-423DX).

Did you also change motherboards to a motherboard that supports an 1155 socket?

If you want to go with a nvidia, I'd recommend a 550 Ti GTX for around 130, or a GTX 460 for around 150. There are comparable Radeons in that price range and other people have had much better success with Radeons then I have. Going nvidia is totally a personal preference of mine due to bad experiences with Radeon, and shouldn't unduly influence you.

yes changed mobos as well but i chose a 550 ti, is there any other gfx card mayb for less that would perform as well if not better? and will a radeon work with an intel build?

That is not a gaming PC, im running a gaming PC i bought 4 years ago and it runs fine, cost me $2000 at the time, you sir got ripped off

Same thing here.

Well theres your problem right there...

:D

I was going to say that!!!!

Also what speed dose your HD spin at? I have a 100gig spinning at 10k RPM and load time is fast. I have 4 gigs of memory and I have no problems (running vista). I have a P4 dule 3Ghz and I do not over tax it. IDR what my graphics card is but I can run on med quality and not have any video lag. All for $1000 back in 2008. You my friend got ripped off big time.

Radeons will work with Intels, nvidias will work with AMD's. There's no limits on mixing and matching GPU's and CPU's, although a slow CPU will bottle neck a fast GPU.

There's really not any better nvidias in the 100-150 dollar range. Most of the competition is in the very high end, 200+ range for GPU's. Your next best bet is the Radeon 6790 for 125, or the 5830 for 110.

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

So...

1 Terabyte drive... no go. Get an SSD for your system only and get your game in another drive, or load it into the SSD ( i personally leave the system in a drive apart from all others )

2. Your graphics card is pretty weak , a 560GTX ( there is better i know ) would be more adequate, or perhaps a 570.

3. Your PSU is .. .well... its like putting a mini motor inside one of those big Trucks and then expecting them to go from 0-100Kmh in less than 2secs., you should have something in the range from 600Watt to 750Watt , and take a look at the amperage in each rail.

Third.. the game is laggy? whats laggy to you? With those stats you cannot possibly expect a good framerate ( i assume you are talking about your framerate ) , and i must say, the guy at Bestbuy lied to you.... as did your Geeksquad "expert"

Your rig fails in so manny aspects...

This is definately not BW fault here.

If you took a time machine back 3 years that computer would be decent.

Not really; I'm guessing (assuming this was a real post - which it's not; obviously a troll post) that the hard drive, since it's from Best Buy, is a 5400 rpm, 7200 at MOST. Video card was never good, and 400w power supply makes me laugh. RAM is probably cheap and slow as well.

This is all hypothetical, of course, since the OP is a troll - very successful, in this case, though. 23 pages of success.

Not really; I'm guessing (assuming this was a real post - which it's not; obviously a troll post) that the hard drive, since it's from Best Buy, is a 5400 rpm, 7200 at MOST. Video card was never good, and 400w power supply makes me laugh. RAM is probably cheap and slow as well.

This is all hypothetical, of course, since the OP is a troll - very successful, in this case, though. 23 pages of success.

I wouldn't exclude a possibility of truth here.. since i've seen people with 350watt PSU's trying to jam I7 CPUS and 570 gcards into their rigs and complaining that things don't work...

Radeons will work with Intels, nvidias will work with AMD's. There's no limits on mixing and matching GPU's and CPU's, although a slow CPU will bottle neck a fast GPU.

There's really not any better nvidias in the 100-150 dollar range. Most of the competition is in the very high end, 200+ range for GPU's. Your next best bet is the Radeon 6790 for 125, or the 5830 for 110.

whats the 5830? i havent heard it considered before?

EDIT: either way i opted to go down to the 6790, not because its a better card but because its a little cheaper, i may still go back up to the 550Ti though

EDIT 2: oh and this is all techniquely approx 420$ (have to add windows 7)

Edited by Sithnut

Geeksquad an expert..lol You can not go to a store and expect them to be able to tell you what is best when all they have in their mind is to sell you something. You always could have done some research on your own. There are many of companies that sell gaming systems for less or more depending on what you want, better then what you have. Cyberpower is a good company but I am sure there are others.

I work at Best Buy and I could absolutely tell them what is a good gaming rig...I've never heard of a Quadra core processor, lol maybe he means an i5? But yeah damn that's whack. All computers from retailers suck though, gotta build your own.