Disappointed by the Mercenary

PirateMouse

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I really am.

I can remember thinking Merc was the way I'd want to go because hey, guns akimbo goodness! Right?

Except the "guns" barely matter. You're basically either ARSEnal, and you spend all of your time bent over spamming missiles from your back, or you're a healer, and all you do is spam heals.

Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.

It just seems kind of strange to have "look, you get dual pistols!" as a defining feature of the Mercenary, and then you're basically never actually using your pistols.

That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end. If blaster pistols are sort of just barely even incidental to Bounty Hunters most of the time, then the lure of being able to dual wield them is sort of meaningless.

Just my two cents'.

Agree. They should have replaced tracer missle with some gun ability that does the same thing. It would have made perfect sense to make the merc pyro missles and the merc arse (hehe) guns.

Really? How's your gear?

I have no issues 1v1.

I have no issues 1v1 either pwn people 1v1 he must just be spamming any ability lol

I start with fusion missle pop on a sticky bomb and tracer tracer rail and dead they be hehe

Agree. They should have replaced tracer missle with some gun ability that does the same thing. It would have made perfect sense to make the merc pyro missles and the merc arse (hehe) guns.

Arsenal refers to a collection of weapons NOT just blasters. Tracer Missile is in Arsenal makes PERFECT sense. Pyro refers to fire which is more specific.

Stop complaining and use logic please.

Fairly close. Once you get the 33% bonus to unload, its probably the best damage/heat ability you get bar heatseeker. Oh, and only 1 tracer after rail for me. So long as Im not chaining skills like that for a minute+ (with no rapids inbetween) and I get a couple good crits on tracer, heat's hardly an issue for me either.

And considering I have 33% crit when buffed, I crit tracer a lot. :)

I call BS here.

I'm lvl 25 with the "average" equipment, my ranged crit % is like 13, and my tech crit, if I stop using the 35% armor pen canister, and add 3% from the arsenal skill, is like 16%

how do you manage to more than double those %?

Our skills are 50/50 tech/ranged, so its pretty damn hard to get that much crit unless you just try and stack 1 of them.

Arsenal refers to a collection of weapons NOT just blasters. Tracer Missile is in Arsenal makes PERFECT sense. Pyro refers to fire which is more specific.

Stop complaining and use logic please.

Yes, but there are essentially two missle/explosive classes. Also, I dont know if you know this, but a pyrotechnician specializes in fire and explosions.

Tracer missles does make sense, but both of your learned abilities are missles, that was what we in the free world call a suggestion. Not only that, but applying a heat signature sounds like the MO of a pyrotech.

Stop flaming and use logic please.

I have to say, I really am.

I can remember thinking Merc was the way I'd want to go because hey, guns akimbo goodness! Right?

Except the "guns" barely matter. You're basically either ARSEnal, and you spend all of your time bent over spamming missiles from your back, or you're a healer, and all you do is spam heals.

Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.

It just seems kind of strange to have "look, you get dual pistols!" as a defining feature of the Mercenary, and then you're basically never actually using your pistols.

That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end. If blaster pistols are sort of just barely even incidental to Bounty Hunters most of the time, then the lure of being able to dual wield them is sort of meaningless.

Just my two cents'.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Merc dps in PvP is beast if you know what your doing, and there is more then enough CC w/ Electro Dart, Rocket Punch (talented) and Jet Boost (talented). You have to learn to play your class at max level before you come here and complain about stuff.

I call BS here.

I'm lvl 25 with the "average" equipment, my ranged crit % is like 13, and my tech crit, if I stop using the 35% armor pen canister, and add 3% from the arsenal skill, is like 16%

Our skills are 50/50 tech/ranged, so its pretty damn hard to get that much crit unless you just try and stack 1 of them.

Get better gear?

It comes later on in your 30's and 40's. Not to mention with the last few points of the standard Arsenal build you add more. My crit has always been around 20-21%, and no I dont just stack crit. I went Armortech so I can keep myself and companions in Blue/Purple gear while leveling, it makes a huge difference.

With so-so gear at 30 I have: 762 Aim, 754 End, 20.13$ crit, 2996 - 4036 (363-675dps) damage, and a crit X of 52.77% . If I really worked on my gear it would be better, but Im not all that worried about it till 50.

I've had no issues with Arsenal so far. It's a faceroll..I'm probably going to re-spec full on healbot later today when i get Blizz just for giggles.

Not only that, but applying a heat signature sounds like the MO of a pyrotech.

No, heat signatures are used to guide missiles which are the cornerstone of the Arsenal Merc. The "Heat" has very little to do with fire. You seem to be working with the same flawed set of data that the OP is using.

I like mine so far, but I'm only level 18 and am a bodyguard and chose it based on healing, not damage.

From what I hear, leveling as a healer is just as painful in this game as other MMOs after level 20, I hope it's not true but even if it is, I've done it in a few games and can take the pain. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

No, heat signatures are used to guide missiles which are the cornerstone of the Arsenal Merc. The "Heat" has very little to do with fire. You seem to be working with the same flawed set of data that the OP is using.

Let's try to not flame one another when making valid points.

Good point, for some reason i was thinking "heat" referred to encasing the target with heat thusly making them a softer target. But it IS named tracer missle so it's hard, if not impossible, to argue with that.

Either way I was just adding on to the speculation of how it would have been nicer to have arsenal more gun based. But we can't deny that at least 50% of the talents refer to the shot abilities. Mainly power shot and unload, but it still uses them.

Not only that, let's assume for a moment that arsenal was mainly gun based, if that were the case, this could very well be a thread about how we wished arsenal used more missles. A second point to this is that the BH is NOT iconic for their blasters. It is the jetpack, missles, armor and gadgets (flamethrower included in gadgets) that make the BH iconic. The smuggler is iconic for quickdraw blaster usage.

All in all, I think the OP is upset because he was looking forward to being a dual wielding monster. But if BW hadn't have given us a second pistol we would just be a missle launching power tech.

From what I hear, leveling as a healer is just as painful in this game as other MMOs after level 20, I hope it's not true but even if it is, I've done it in a few games and can take the pain.

Depends on how you use your companions.

I call BS here.

Level 40, just bought all the crit pvp gear. Combine that with the talents for 6% from bodyguard and group buff of 5%, its not hard to attain.

All in all, I think the OP is upset because he was looking forward to being a dual wielding monster. But if BW hadn't have given us a second pistol we would just be a missle launching power tech.

Thanks for being perhaps the only person who didn't emphatically agree with me who also apparently actually read and understood my post. After pages of eyeroll-inducing posts written by people who either did not read my first post or made no real attempt to understand my point, it was good to finally see someone "get" it.

Aside, of course, from those who had the same feeling and just posted to say "I agree." Lots of those, I noticed.

Yes, my point was that the second pistol is largely superfluous, and the only spec that makes it less so (Pyrotech) appears to be relatively underpowered and a bit underwhelming in general. There's nothing about Mercenary that makes dual-wielding special ... as opposed to, say, Gunslinger, which has plenty that does.

But yeah, just to clarify, for all of the people who apparently didn't read my original post and understand it? Which seems to be most of you, judging from the responses? I went Powertech, guys. Powertech. I'm a Powertech, so it's all good. I took proactive measures to ensure I'd be able to enjoy myself before I ever posted this. Doin' fine, thanks.

It really was just a post to give a little feedback. No advice needed, and I'm quite happy right now with my Powertech, thank you. Judging by how many posted just to say they agree with me, it's clearly not that uncommon an opinion in any case.

I've had a great time with Mercenary! I can solo just about anything (even some Heroic 2+, though admittedly it takes too long to be worth it) and playing as a healer is an absolute blast. I really don't get where the complaints are coming from, other than the obvious bugs. Then again, I haven't PVP'd much yet.

Thanks for being perhaps the only person who didn't emphatically agree with me who also apparently actually read and understood my post. After pages of eyeroll-inducing posts written by people who either did not read my first post or made no real attempt to understand my point, it was good to finally see someone "get" it.

Aside, of course, from those who had the same feeling and just posted to say "I agree." Lots of those, I noticed.

Yes, my point was that the second pistol is largely superfluous, and the only spec that makes it less so (Pyrotech) appears to be relatively underpowered and a bit underwhelming in general. There's nothing about Mercenary that makes dual-wielding special ... as opposed to, say, Gunslinger, which has plenty that does.

But yeah, just to clarify, for all of the people who apparently didn't read my original post and understand it? Which seems to be most of you, judging from the responses? I went Powertech, guys. Powertech. I'm a Powertech, so it's all good. I took proactive measures to ensure I'd be able to enjoy myself before I ever posted this. Doin' fine, thanks.

It really was just a post to give a little feedback. No advice needed, and I'm quite happy right now with my Powertech, thank you. Judging by how many posted just to say they agree with me, it's clearly not that uncommon an opinion in any case.

Lol i liked this. That was a clean way to tell everyone to go F themselves. That's what happens with these threads though, people don't take the time to not only fully read the OP's post but fully read everyone else's response. Without that your response is outdated, non-contextual, biased and/or etc.

But this is the beauty of the forums, we speculate and post our opinions of a factor in the game, and those who are loyal or just like to argue come up with a counter argument. Be their counter point productive or just ignorant, it helps us come to the final conclusion of how the community feels about the subject. The problem may not be solved today or even ever, but it sets ground on to how many of us feel which and what way.

A thread is only violated and corrupted in to not being helpful by flame wars. If we all stay civil and use logic to discuss these posts, only good can come out of it. As a whole, we should strike down the flame warmongers and trolls swiftly and righteously. But keep in mind, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are against you.

*looks down at feet*

Oh THERE'S my soap box. My bad.

Edited by Kerbowa

Ther Merc is a great PVE class, however you will get facerolled about 8 out of 10 matches in PVP once someone gets in your face unless they are a horrible player. The lack of mobility hurts.

1) Jet Blast - knockback/snare

2) Stun Dart when snare wears off

3) Rocket Punch - knockback

If its just 1 guy in your face its not so bad. You should be able to delay him a decent amount to not get curbstomped too quickly.

I also took the Merc class at level 10. I just recently hit 25, and the further I level, the less I enjoy the AC. Wish I went Powertech instead.

I specced into the Pyro tree, mainly because I didn't like the fact that I had to spam Tracer Missile multiple times to achieve decent damage output. Pyro tends to be a little more mobile as well, allowing an easier time in pvp for me.

Since Incendiary Missile and Rail Shot are both instant casts, along with majority of the abilities in my rotation, mobility is pretty decent for Pyro Mercs and damage is respectable.

all QQ sounds alike at some point. people start skimming to get the jist.