Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

Can't understand why some people bother playing another MMO, if all they do is compare it to WoW. A number of points the OP are gamebreakers to other people, making the game feel a complete grind (DF, Achievements, etc). Personally, I'd just move on to something else if the game turns into another WoW clone.

Point 2 & 3 are valid tho!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Everybody saying "this is not wow" or "wow -> that way" are blind or what? Haven't seen a mmo that is more copy of wow than swtor already is.

What you mean like..Everquest copied WoW...Ohhh..

Where did I leave my white stick again. :cool:

The thread points out the funny little fact that before the dungeon finder came out, EVERYBODY was begging for a dungeon finder.

Grass is always greener....

sorry to correct you, but far, very far from everybody was begging for a dungeon finder.

One thing that I have seen in Warhammer online and in Rift is the possibility to have one hostile target and one friendly target. (Maybe its been in other games as well, dont flame me about it please! )

Meaning I cd dps the mob and heal my friendly target without having to swith targets.

I wd really, really like that in this game.

(edit - spelling)

Edited by genaia

PLEASE Dont make it like WoW... if anything make it more like SWG before the damn CU that ruined the game.

SWG was awesome before the CU.. !

Star Wars should be like Star Wars not like WoW!

QFT

SWG was awesome, pre CU after CU not so much, but as a fan I still played it.

I think any mention of WOW on these forums should result in a 1 day ban.

I'm sick of hearing about that game, it's cool they got chuck norris for an advert but thats it, BA not so much. Meh!

TOR is a new game and for lovers of the Star Wars its our wet dream, since our SWG was broken.

Less WOW speak more SW speak.

p.S Can an admin make a profanity filter for the words "WOW" or "World of Warcraft"

I don't mind that I can't choose which warzone to queue up in. Sure, I might end up playing my least favorite one, but the thing is, that others probably love it. If we all could choose which to play, it could lead to the rest being near empty and only one or two played regularily. This was a problem in Warhammer for instance.

Then why make it even more WoW?

Care to answer that?

It's not make it more wow. It's taking good things from other games, that's what wow did. Most of the good things wow has are things that were already in one mmo or another. Wow just put them togeather.

Rift?

btw

WoW ---> that way :D

I would say swtor is much more a copy of wow than Rift. Both have a similar feel, but Rift definatly has things you can call unique, like Rifts, world random events and invasions, very cool class/talent system....

I'm loving swtor, but it's like wow in space, it's just everything the same.

Edited by kalarro

And to the topic maker if you miss World of casualcraft so much to post about then go back to it, lol. Enjoy the non-stop nerfs left and right to every new dungeon and boss possible (even death wing less than a month got nerfs lololol). Enjoy your kung fu panda because karate panda's fit wow so much, enjoy your toddler talent system that is meant for a 2 yr old, enjoy the game being so ridiculous easy that you never die unless you go afk, get heavily ambushed from every enemy on the continent or have someone mess up in a dungeon. Yeah, really.. a fantastic game for you people to keep thinking of. ;)

Also I never really cared for the dungeon finder thing. Things like this, while make grouping easier, also makes people less likely to interact with each other. I hate to bring up WoW, but since the OP already did, I have to mention that as soon as they introduced things like the dungeon finder, cross realm PvP and queueing in them from wherever, pretty much killed any faction pride or world PvP that was going on.

So yeah, let's keep this game as SWTOR and not have yet another copy pasted MMO.

It's not make it more wow. It's taking good things from other games, that's what wow did. Most of the good things wow has are things that were already in one mmo or another. Wow just put them togeather.

Well, but if you read this thread carefully, you will notice that not everyone shares your appraisal of what Blizzard did.

And yes, taking from other games is very much WoW. They did it well, I won't deny that. But why not come up with something own for a change?

Everyone can copy.

Maybe, just MAYBE (I don't know), Bioware is saying: OK, we want to add this and that and that, because other successful MMOs have them. But we don't want to just copy/paste, we want to create our own mechanics for that. That takes time.

Please give it to them. A lot is planned, and even if we don't know all the specifics about those plans, I for one am confident, they will please many many players.

Fanboy much? In this case: definitely, yes.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

No! I HATE dungeon finder. WoW was a better place before that s*** came along. The only thing SWTOR needs is some kinds of Summoning Stone.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

Agree

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Don't really care too be honest. You have to remember that without a Dungeon Finder system, you will ONLY be doing dungeons with people from YOUR server. In other words, you **** yourself over in the long run by being a douche and ninjaing. Just one of the many reasons why I HATE the dungeon finder.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

Agreed

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

You don't really have to. You can do just fine without going back. Ive sometimes done some 4-5 levels without returning. I couldn't even feel it.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

While I am an addon-dictive in WoW, I actually don't want them in other MMOs, especially NOT DPS meters! They add this "OMG you don't do enough DPS QQ"-factor to the game, and its annoying!

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

Agreed!

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Both yes and no. Achivements were added FAR too late into WoW, and it suffered because of that. People who had played before the achievements were added, felt like they weren't getting credit for their previous work. Besides that, there were no "real" reward for getting them besides maybe a pink mount for grinding pointless **** for a whole *********** year or doing a hardmode raid. IF you have to implement achivements, make sure you do it right!

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

Amen to that!

Edited by Sandreid

And to the topic maker if you miss World of casualcraft so much to post about then go back to it, lol. Enjoy the non-stop nerfs left and right to every new dungeon and boss possible (even death wing less than a month got nerfs lololol). Enjoy your kung fu panda because karate panda's fit wow so much, enjoy your toddler talent system that is meant for a 2 yr old, enjoy the game being so ridiculous easy that you never die unless you go afk, get heavily ambushed from every enemy on the continent or have someone mess up in a dungeon. Yeah, really.. a fantastic game for you people to keep thinking of. ;)

You copy pasted that from every single new mmo forum. Problem is, swtor is 90% wow, but in space. Really, just look at ... well everything. Forget about lightsabers and plasma rifles for a second and think about game mechanics. It is wow. Well, wow before the last rework, back then when it also had 31 point talents.

So yeah, let's keep this game as SWTOR and not have yet another copy pasted MMO.

The funny thing is that that is exactly what the game is. Without the voiceacting and the spaceship gimmick, it's like every new generic mmo out there. The mechanics are exactly the same.

Edited by Astron_

The funny thing is that that is exactly what the game is. Without the voiceacting and the spaceship gimmick, it's like every new generic mmo out there. The mechanics is exactly the same.

Very true, it is a very generic MMO, but well executed, much like WoW was back when it came out, but if they copy every single aspect from WoW and not make changes to the formula, we'll be stuck playing the same MMO in a different package for years.

I know this is a really cliched thing to say, but both Ferrari and Fiat are cars and similar in that sense, but yet so very different, you dig?

Edited by Rahilim

The funny thing is that that is exactly what the game is. Without the voiceacting and the spaceship gimmick, it's like every new generic mmo out there. The mechanics is exactly the same.

Tell us what you would do differently. Reply back with something mind blowing and new please!

^^

You copy pasted that from every single new mmo forum. Problem is, swtor is 90% wow, but in space. Really, just look at ... well everything. Forget about lightsabers and plasma rifles for a second and think about game mechanics. It is wow. Well, wow before the last rework, back then when it also had 31 point talents.

copy and pasted...? O_o Yeah sounding smart really works for you well I see.. LOL Yeah every Genre is a clone of one another I guess because they got the same elements. Metallica is easily a clone of the beetles because they both got guitars I guess right? :)

Edited by LordKOLZ

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.