Solo Server for Subscription Players?

Greymaulkin

I think this would be a popular option. A server where the game content has been scaled down so that they are soloable. I understand some of the best stats for armor, weapons, and other rewards would be kept for the groupies and pvpers on normal servers, but this would give the solo players a place where they can experience content that otherwise they feel left out of because of their choice of playing style.

Populations on other servers would have less in number possibly, but the ones playing on a solo server would not have been grouping or pvping anyway.

I know studies show that people who group play longer, but I think there is a solo community out there as well, and as a solo player with many years and different mmo playing experience, I think solo players start to leave when they feel there is too much content they are left out of, and invariably mmos throw so much work into doing the group and endgame content there always comes a time when the solo player feels like they are only able to nibble on the edges of the game instead fo experiencing all that they are paying for.

Reach out to the solo players and I believe you will find a considerable community that has been vastly ignored by other mmos. Imagine everytime someone online asks "what is the best online game to play solo?" the answer comes back "without a doubt the only one is Star Wars".

uhm.... it's an mmo bro.... I'm generally a solo player myself as well, while leveling, so I'm not trying to be a d*ck but the whole focus on these kinds of games is multiplayer. Thats where the market is and we knew this when we decided to sub, I'd much rather they spend resources on development of new content then to have to scale every mob and equipment to satisfy a very select few that were hoping for Kotor 3.

Don't be so antisocial. So few people would continue to play the game or even subscribe if they were doing everything solo. All the Operations and WZs they are releasing adds to the MMO experience. If you like single-player games then do not play this game.

Horrible idea.

Don't be so antisocial. So few people would continue to play the game or even subscribe if they were doing everything solo. All the Operations and WZs they are releasing adds to the MMO experience. If you like single-player games then do not play this game.

Horrible idea.

Solo players are not necessarily anti-social. If people ask questions I answer them, I put things up and buy things from the AH so I contribute to the economy, but I prefer not to get into groups when I play. My whole point is that there are many people who like playing solo and that those people leave when solo content falls behind and only group content is made. If I, as a solo player, kept getting updates that I found interesting I would not unsubscribe, so to say that so few people would play if they did everything solo I don't think is correct. There are people who prefer playing that way and there are very few places for them to go to find continually updated, persistent, online worlds. Also, I am saying there should be a solo server, all on it's own, so it doesn't effect all the people who want to group. They could put out a solo content server up to level 10 or 20, and see what happens...if the population on it stays low then scrap it....but if it becomes a popular server then expand it for the rest of the content.

What would solo players get on these servers, that they wouldn't get by not grouping with anyone, and turning off all chat?

Are you suggesting that you, as a solo player, will be the only person on that server?

No, of course I am not suggesting that there only be one person on the server. It would be a server where all the heroic missions were soloable, flashpoints would be soloable. This would give players who prefer to solo more missions and content and also allow them to acquire the crafting materials that they normally are unable to get in a flashpoint that requires grouping and seeing the content that they usually don't see simply because of playstyle.

People on this server wouldn't be getting anything different than the other servers. There would be no advantage over group players or pvp because the soloists would be on their own server, so you couldn't get some high lvl gear solo and take it into pvp because you aren't on that server, you could block queing for pvp or character transfers from the solo server to make sure there is no exploitation. It is just about providing more options for different playstyles, and make it subscription only, so nobody can see all the content for free and not group....they would be paying for the entire game. I think having a seperate server is a viable way of having an MMO where co-op is optional.

First off... I agree with the folks already voicing their opinions.

If you want "solo" content, turn off the PC and go play KOTOR on your Xbox instead.

Second, this game is already VERY single player oriented. With a decent set of gear between you, you and your Pet can do Heroic 2+ "solo" anyway.

Tons of people already complain about how much this game is a MSPRPG (Massively Single Player) even with all the optional group events. And they really are just that, optional.

There's nothing that says you MUST go into the Heroics or Flashpoints. You can get from 1 to 50 and never group with another soul.

From the sounds of it, I think one of the above posts got it right.

When you say "solo server" I think you mean just that. You want a server where nobody else exists, and you are the only player in the game.

First off... I agree with the folks already voicing their opinions.

If you want "solo" content, turn off the PC and go play KOTOR on your Xbox instead.

Second, this game is already VERY single player oriented. With a decent set of gear between you, you and your Pet can do Heroic 2+ "solo" anyway.

Tons of people already complain about how much this game is a MSPRPG (Massively Single Player) even with all the optional group events. And they really are just that, optional.

There's nothing that says you MUST go into the Heroics or Flashpoints. You can get from 1 to 50 and never group with another soul.

From the sounds of it, I think one of the above posts got it right.

When you say "solo server" I think you mean just that. You want a server where nobody else exists, and you are the only player in the game.

Well, my title says "Solo Server for Subscription Players" I am not really sure why the confusion because server is singular meaning there is only one server I suggest adding, and then I say subscription players...players being plural, so you have more than one player on this one added server. But anyway....

Playing Kotor is not the same as playing ToR, MMO's are a persistent world with regular game updates and multiple class types you can play....I would think the differences are obvious....I have never understood the argument people raise when they say go play a single player game if you don't group.....that is much like me saying if you like grouping why don't you throw Gauntlet into your atari 2600 invite a couple friends over and have fun. You would say that is a completely different game and experience and that is how I see soloing in an mmo and a single player game.

Yes you can get to 50 without grouping but there is still alot of content you don't get to see if you don't group and I think if you gave solo players a place that respects them and their playstyle you would have many people who like soloing in an mmo subscribing for that reason alone

The things that say you MUST group (or at least reasons why a solo player feels "pushed" toward a playstyle they do not prefer) :

You can spend time and money crafting but are unable to get high level ingredients unless you do hardmode flashpoints. (yes, you can buy them but that in't as much fun)

The storylines all end up leading you toward a flashpoint at the end to continue the story, that is kind of a bummer for a solo player.

Story...many solo players like playing for the story and the flashpoints are stand-alone story content that you can't see soloing, unless you lvl way past them and go back, but again not as much fun.

Look at it this way, you want people to play longer so they will pay more, maybe the people who group play longer not because the group but because the game caters to them. I am saying as far as solo players go, instead of trying to turn them into group-players, give them one server that caters to them and then you have a game that will attract two different playstyles. Isn't that waht they said the free to play thing was about? Options and letting people have a choice of how they wanted to play the game?

Horrible idea.

I agree. Don't separate the two like that.

terrible idea as it is the opposite of what mmo stands for.

wont ever happen as there are other issues that would produce a larger "bang for the buck" on the resources spent.

consul games offer the same type of entertainment you desire. just why not ask for a xbox or etc type version and be done with it?

Sounds like a good idea. If I may add, if at all possible you could also just make solo-modes for it (without loot) so people can witness the story if they want.

I would still love it if there were no experience or rewards given, or maybe just very basic lower level drops. My main interest is experiencing the storylines of the Heroics and Flashpoints a solo player does not get to see. Some people on this thread think that by playing on a solo server they would get these great items and that would give them an advantage over other players....but if it is a solo server how can you hvae an advantage over anyone? PVP could even be disabled on that server if this is a concern.

terrible idea as it is the opposite of what mmo stands for.

wont ever happen as there are other issues that would produce a larger "bang for the buck" on the resources spent.

consul games offer the same type of entertainment you desire. just why not ask for a xbox or etc type version and be done with it?

MMO is massively multiplayer online. If somene calls their game massively co-op mandatory online I will give it a pass.

If you read some of the other entries on the post you would see that I already made the point that MMOs get many more updates and have many more character class options, MMOs are very different from console games and there are many people that do prefer to solo in them.

Edited by Greymaulkin

I think this would be a popular option. A server where the game content has been scaled down so that they are soloable. I understand some of the best stats for armor, weapons, and other rewards would be kept for the groupies and pvpers on normal servers, but this would give the solo players a place where they can experience content that otherwise they feel left out of because of their choice of playing style.

Populations on other servers would have less in number possibly, but the ones playing on a solo server would not have been grouping or pvping anyway.

I know studies show that people who group play longer, but I think there is a solo community out there as well, and as a solo player with many years and different mmo playing experience, I think solo players start to leave when they feel there is too much content they are left out of, and invariably mmos throw so much work into doing the group and endgame content there always comes a time when the solo player feels like they are only able to nibble on the edges of the game instead fo experiencing all that they are paying for.

Reach out to the solo players and I believe you will find a considerable community that has been vastly ignored by other mmos. Imagine everytime someone online asks "what is the best online game to play solo?" the answer comes back "without a doubt the only one is Star Wars".

Maybe im old fashioned, but what do you think MMO means? If you want to solo games then skyrim, dragon age, mass effect is for you, this is an MMO and asking for this will make it a less mmo and social experiance and will hurt the game further.

I'm new here and don't know much about the tech aspects of the game. I know this is an MMO but as there is a lot of solo content I decided to try it out. However seeing all the other players running around doing essentially what you're about to do for me really breaks the suspension of disbelief needed to get into the story.

I'm wondering if there is a way to just turn off seeing other players while playing solo?

I'm new here and don't know much about the tech aspects of the game. I know this is an MMO but as there is a lot of solo content I decided to try it out. However seeing all the other players running around doing essentially what you're about to do for me really breaks the suspension of disbelief needed to get into the story.

I'm wondering if there is a way to just turn off seeing other players while playing solo?

Players demanding solo play are the ones causing devs to lower the player interaction and community in game, this is an mmo dont like it go play a single player game.

Maybe im old fashioned, but what do you think MMO means? If you want to solo games then skyrim, dragon age, mass effect is for you, this is an MMO and asking for this will make it a less mmo and social experiance and will hurt the game further.

MMO, Massive Multiplayer Online, simply means many people playing at once. The reason why MMOs cater to groups is beacause of money, I am simply saying there is a considerable amount of people, in addition to those playing in groups on regular servers, who would be attracted to the game if there were a server dedicated to allowing a solo player to see more of the content.

I have been playing MMOs since Everquest, and videogames since way back when you used to have to go to an arcade in order to play one. I am telling you that a single player rpg on a console do not get the same updates, add-ons, and character class choices as an MMO, they do not have auction houses and other features MMOs have. Playing an MMO even solo is NOT the same thing as playing a single player RPG.

How exactly would providing an option for another style of play "hurt" the game?

You have PVP servers, PVE servers, RP servers....these all cater to differing playstyles....all I am saying is have a server that would appeal to those who like to play solo as well.

Players demanding solo play are the ones causing devs to lower the player interaction and community in game, this is an mmo dont like it go play a single player game.

First, Instead of getting inot the whole "why are you playing solo on an MMO debate, which people must love because as soon as you say the word "SOLO" they seem to mindelssly start shouting the same thing like some poorly programmed robot.....I will ask that you take two seconds and read the other post in this thread you decided to join in on.

Second, if you are saying that the devs are having an adverse effect on the games social aspect because of solo players then you ahve just proved my point. If there are enough solo players for the devs to change aspects of the game to keep soloists happy, then it would be better for everyone to have a seperate server for soloists....then the social dynamics you value in your gameplay can remain unaltered, because all the solo players will be off on their own server.

Here's a notion...

You want to "experience" the storylines, but you don't want to interact with anyone to do so?

Go watch videos on YouTube!

Because watching a youtube video isn't the same as playing. Not my character, not my dialogue responses. watching you tube falls short of "experiencing" something...even if it is a videogame.

I hear what you are saying, but the problem with that I can see is if you couldn't see the other players there would be alot of accidental "kill stealing". Think of a world where everyone is invisible, you would have people running into eachother and getting in your way all the time and there would be no way to avoid it because nobody can see anyone else.