Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Paid Faction Chances / Server Transfers and 1.5

AMKSED

Any word/chance this will be happening with 1.5? Came back from the military and found my original server is dead and my friend's switched while I was gone. Don't really have the strive to re-do EVERYTHING just to enjoy the game with my friends so I'd be willing to pay.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What server are you on? They automatically transferred everyone into certain servers, so you would have gone wherever your friends went to. Unless you mean they just rerolled somewhere else.

Not word on transfers for 1.5 but hopefully soon after that since they keep saying it's going to happen. I really don't get why they haven't yet, seems like a no brainer and they obviously have the tech in place.

Paid transfers are on the short list to get done once 1.5/F2P goes live. Here is the official word from a few days ago:

SentinelDranoel: As for my question... when are we getting paid transfers?

Blaine: As soon as we possibly can. We know that this is a very important feature that the community wants and we want it too, but due to the effort of launching our new Free-to-Play option, we had to delay this just a bit longer. Sorry I don’t have a more concrete date just yet!

Faction changes are not in the plans at all as far as I know. How would that even work? Say you had a Jedi - okay, the skills mirror and the gear does too... but there is all that backstory you are missing, companions you have no affection with, etc. Maybe they have something all thought out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by Uluain

Paid transfers are on the short list to get done once 1.5/F2P goes live. Here is the official word from a few days ago:

Faction changes are not in the plans at all as far as I know. How would that even work? Say you had a Jedi - okay, the skills mirror and the gear does too... but there is all that backstory you are missing, companions you have no affection with, etc. Maybe they have something all thought out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm sure there's a way they could code it to work.

It's pretty much a 100% swap with everything. Might take a good person to code it all but it's do-able.

If WoW can do it SWTOR can.

Dude, companions are also mirrored in role and abilities, only change is skin, so no prob with afection, unles your 'etc' has something i havent figured, theres no prob at all to allow Faction Respecs

Dude, companions are also mirrored in role and abilities, only change is skin, so no prob with afection, unles your 'etc' has something i havent figured, theres no prob at all to allow Faction Respecs

except for where the companion story and how the player interacts with them is concerned.

Also what about smuggler/agent and trooper/BH? They have the same armor "type" but very different weapon/offhand.

If WoW can do it SWTOR can.

Is not a programming problem, but logistic one. There are many many different glitch that you can encounter, the most logical are for example weekly. Also change faction have problem with race change. Wow have no story, BW whant that you play the story... so with faction change you will miss all, same for companion. There are many other related problem, inventory (for bind item that you can gain in some planet that the other faction don't visit..) and so on... the most important thing is the character transfert and maybe a relook for your toon (just because maybe you have unlock the legacy race later...) and so on. This are really important.

Just reset the story? You'll have to do it over on the other side.

Dark side Jaesa likes completely different things compared to Kira Carsen. Male Jedi Knights only have one female companion (and one romance option). Someone changing from a Sith Warrior in the middle of the romance plot with Vette would get... a romance with T7? Wait no, he's a tank, who's the ranged DPS? Sergeant Rusk! Cool. I can see him seductively twirling those lethorns around.

Except storytelling. "Hey, dude who just came in from the Jedi Order! Would you like it if we placed a great deal of trust in you and totally didn't question if you could be trusted at all and just let you get right into doing Sith stuff? You would, well, welcome to Korriban! Enjoy your stay and remember to enjoy the dark side!"

:rolleyes:

Storytelling ... wich has absolutely no impact on others gameplay, so if i dont care a **** about story ...

Then it's your lose. But don't expect designers to cater to you. Faction change is impractical and doesn't make sense from a storytelling perspective so it's just not going to happen.

I would pay top dollar for a faction change.. Story should have no impact. Maybe only allow people to do the faction changes as long as they finished their class story.

More money in EAWare's pockets. So why should it matter?

Also what about cosmetic changes as in appearances? Name changes?

BW needs to get ontop of this micro transactions that ppl are willing to pay for.. Cause I defiantly am, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Paid Server Changes? Sure, that will happen, and I could even see paid AC changes, as neither would "alter" your story at all.

But change your Class or Faction and that breaks your storyline, change your gender and that alters many of your companion stories. So I wouldn't expect those.

Paid Server Changes? Sure, that will happen, and I could even see paid AC changes, as neither would "alter" your story at all.

But change your Class or Faction and that breaks your storyline, change your gender and that alters many of your companion stories. So I wouldn't expect those.

They would most likely just put you back on the noob planet (Korriban/Tython/Ord/Hutta) and have you start from there.

A level 50 faction transferred character could 1 shot all of the npcs. :p

I really do not get why people stand by the story crap. Who cares. If people want to spend their money on something they will enjoy better on a different faction. Allow it.

Story is not game breaking.

So why can't said person just re roll on a different faction and play the mirror class? Is it that hard?

Admittedly, it really shouldn't be too difficult to do faction changes. Yes, you miss the story. But the person that wants to see the story will roll a character from level 1 no matter what. I have 3 Imperial Agents and a Smuggler :cool: I wouldn't mind being able to transfer one of them to another server and faction change it. I've seen the story. They could make it legacy based in some way.

The game is built specifically to encourage levelling characters of diverse classes and factions. HK-51 requires it. Legacy supports it. Why? Because this really is a story-based game, with a tremendous amount invested in creating eight parallel plots, fully scripted and voiced. That is where replay value is. That is what they hope you will wish to spend your game time on.

You don't have time? Really? Why are you wasting it here, then?

This is not an endgame-heavy game. Not at this point, in its first year, certainly. It is a story-based game where the richest experience is to be found from 1-50. Some day, BioWare may say, "we are out of ideas for perks people might pay more money for" and explore paid faction change. But I wouldn't count on it at all, much less any time soon. This is not that kind of game.

<< So why can't said person just re roll on a different faction and play the mirror class? Is it that hard? >>

Lots of characters switch sides - it happens in the movies (

Annakin is really Darth Vader!

), it happens in the books, it happens in the previous games and it happens all of the time in the class quests (my Jedi turns two Sith into Reps and stops another jedi from flipping to them and my Inq gets at least one jedi kicked out of Rep space).

The only issue that I can see is the costume themes but even there many outfits/items have a rep look and an imp look built in. The companions are a non-issue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.