Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Legacy Wide datacrons

AshlaBoga

Many people *are* providing LOGIC, you just read what you want to read or have skipped almost everything in these threads, but whatever the reason here is my logic again:

Datacrons are CONSUMED upon activating just like a stim or health pack. So how can something that is CONSUMED be granted to anyone else?

Codex entries are no problem as they are written stories that can be told to anyone I want so go ahead and share those but in no way can I make anyone else in my Legacy stronger cuz I already consumed a strength Datacron or I injected myself with a might stim.

You are using story logic, not actual logic for a game feature, and even then you are not even doing that right because they do not disappear, they only state that you can't benefit again from that one, and they can even be moved as evidence of the museum datacrons.

Datacrons make some of the least logic in this entire game which is why they are unique and incomparable to any other aspect of the game hence why so many including Devs would like to see this feature while you can't make any reasonable arguement against it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people *are* providing LOGIC, you just read what you want to read or have skipped almost everything in these threads, but whatever the reason here is my logic again:

Datacrons are CONSUMED upon activating just like a stim or health pack. So how can something that is CONSUMED be granted to anyone else?

Codex entries are no problem as they are written stories that can be told to anyone I want so go ahead and share those but in no way can I make anyone else in my Legacy stronger cuz I already consumed a strength Datacron or I injected myself with a might stim.

I addressed this in some ways in the other thread, but:

First, the datacrons=stims idea is just your interpretation of how they work. No in game lore supports that, in fact, quite the opposite. I can use a datacron then another character can walk up and use the exact same one, so clearly it's still there and "powered."

Second, it;s just as valid to think of datacrons as being/containing ancient force techniques, secret training, and so forth, which could easily be passed from one character to the next.

Third, even stims in this game have versions with unlimited uses. My 450 biochem can totally pass his reusable stims to my new biochem that I just made, Heck, sometimes when I make 1 stim I get 2.

Many story things in this game are handwaved. Companion missions don't require you to actually travel with your companion, they happen offscreen. Perhaps, for datacron sharing, your main simply passes on notes to your other characters about how to find them and they do it offscreen like gathering missions. Makes at least as much story sense as my rival or child having stronger friends because I'm a level 50 human.

Oh I am in favor of legacy wide datacrons.

We should take this one step further. If one person gets a datacron, all players in the game, all accounts and all servers should get the stat gain.

What's that you say? That would be stupid, you say? How is it any different to say that all toons in your legacy get it?

We should take this one step further. If one person gets a datacron, all players in the game, all accounts and all servers should get the stat gain.

What's that you say? That would be stupid, you say? How is it any different to say that all toons in your legacy get it?

Do you have any relevent and on point arguement?

You seem to regularly fail to understand that making an irrelivent comparison is not making a relevent arguement on an issue.

There is no slippery slope here, there is only the issue of datacrons and an individual player experiance.

Do you have any relevent and on point arguement?

You seem to regularly fail to understand that making an irrelivent comparison is not making a relevent arguement on an issue.

There is no slippery slope here, there is only the issue of datacrons and an individual player experiance.

I'm sorry you don't see my point. The point is that this is utterly stupid and the only reason for it is because people want the benefit without doing the work. You all seem to be falling over yourselves trying to find irrelivant ways to "explain" how this might work. My point is to try to ground you people back into the reality that this is stupid. The reasons for my comparisons is to show how this is totally stupid. I can make more too:

"I hate leveling! Since I've already done it once, all my future new toons should start out at max level!"

"I hate paying for speeder training, so after I pay for it once, all my future toons should just have it!"

"I hate grinding for end game gear, so after I do it for one toon, all my toons should just have the gear!"

"I hate collecting datacrons for the stat bonuses, so once I do it for one toon, all my future toons should have it!"

The POINT is that if your toon didn't do the work to EARN it, then that toon should NOT have it.

I'm sorry you don't see my point. The point is that this is utterly stupid and the only reason for it is because people want the benefit without doing the work. You all seem to be falling over yourselves trying to find irrelivant ways to "explain" how this might work. My point is to try to ground you people back into the reality that this is stupid. The reasons for my comparisons is to show how this is totally stupid. I can make more too:

"I hate leveling! Since I've already done it once, all my future new toons should start out at max level!"

"I hate paying for speeder training, so after I pay for it once, all my future toons should just have it!"

"I hate grinding for end game gear, so after I do it for one toon, all my toons should just have the gear!"

"I hate collecting datacrons for the stat bonuses, so once I do it for one toon, all my future toons should have it!"

The POINT is that if your toon didn't do the work to EARN it, then that toon should NOT have it.

Quoted for truth!!

Couldn't have said it better myself.. If you want the stats from the datacrons on all your toons, then put out the effort and get them.. There is no reason to make the datacrons legacy.. It is a part of leveling.. They are like doing quests.. You can choose to get them or not get them.. But you shouldn't get the reward if you choose not to.. Period..

Except that POINT is only how YOU apparenty perceive gaming, not how most players do nor how the Industry does or how the Developers do.

In all modern games there is more than one way to many play styles and acheivements, and that is what the legacy unlocks system already is. That is how it was designed. That is how it was implimented.

If I want item X, I can often buy it from a vendor or GTN, hope for it to drop, or craft it. Each of those is the same EARN. Certain high end ones can only be gained from one of those methods and are bound, but that is case by case within a system. You continue to make flawed arguements against the very idea of this feature rather than where it should be implimented or limited.

You don't even stay on the point of Datacrons in making posts, always going away from this unique aspect of the game to make rediculous comparisons that you obviously haven't even put thought into.

Is leveling like datacrons, in no way. But you haven't even considered what you have written because it isn't a rediculous request. Elder game has been designed as a completely different teir with zero relevency of content to past class missions which is what you would be skipping. Our characters looks and race are no longer set in stone, and gear can be earned on one character and transfered already. Elder game characters are not in any way some firm extension of the leveling progress, not even as a training tool as the 'best' builds and rotations while leveling bear little to no resemblence to elder game versions and game familiarity is way more important than individual class ability familiarity. I personally see no reason for this feature and would not like it but if someone has already got a level 55 on each faction, they are only Paying for the privilage of wasting thier own opertunity to explore this mostly repeated content.

Actually, why isn't there a speeder training legacy wide unlock at a higher cost? Got em for cargo holds and most of the original legacy unlocks, and most everyone will want the speeder unlocks eventually for all thier characters if they are going to play all 8 classes, or more if repeats. But of course on point, your logic is they must EARN each speeder liscence by paying for it seperately! Because!!

We have already reviewed multiple times in this thread how this type of feature would have a negative impact on the gear level and economy of the entire game, a far cry from the Datacron arguement which would affect no other players. But you can earn gear one one character and transfer it to an alt through the legacy equipment so if you do 'hate end game gear grinding' you only need to do it on one character. Which once again you show you obviously haven't thought this through in making that claim in the first place.

You don't like the idea of this type of unlock. I can respect that.

You like getting them on each of your characters, I can respect that.

You call it stupid and provide no arguement other than you don't like it.

You don't respect that people want an alternative opertunity to bypass REPEATING this unique, non story based and bugged content that an individual character can only do once anyway, so they can focus on the story based elements and gear grind of the rest of the game that they enjoy. And you don't respect that this feature wouldn't stop you playing your way, in fact you would save credits by not purchasing it.

We are not asking to never EARN the datacrons, only for an option to EARN them a different way on future alts. That is not the same to any of the comparisons you have made.

Except that POINT is only how YOU apparenty perceive gaming, not how most players do nor how the Industry does or how the Developers do.

In all modern games there is more than one way to many play styles and acheivements, and that is what the legacy unlocks system already is. That is how it was designed. That is how it was implimented..

Legacy was never intended to give players items with stats for free.. It was never meant to be a free ride.. And no.. The majority of players don't look for short cuts in order to not play the game.. If you want the stats on your toon then earn them.. Giving out free stats is a bad idea.. It will always be a bad idea..

Legacy allowed you to purchase non stat items and share it with all your toons.. Like the GTN on your ship, or rocket boots.. It also gave your 1 skill that your toons shared.. Like trooper using the consular ability Project.. It was never meant to make stats or anything with stats shared.. Datacrons offer stat increases and therefore should never be legacy.. There is no argument otherwise..

Not playing the game and asking for short cuts is not a play style.. It is being lazy.. Simple as that..

Edited by MajikMyst

Legacy was never intended to give players items with stats for free.. It was never meant to be a free ride.. And no.. The majority of players don't look for short cuts in order to not play the game.. If you want the stats on your toon then earn them.. Giving out free stats is a bad idea.. It will always be a bad idea..

Legacy allowed you to purchase non stat items and share it with all your toons.. Like the GTN on your ship, or rocket boots.. It also gave your 1 skill that your toons shared.. Like trooper using the consular ability Project.. It was never meant to make stats or anything with stats shared.. Datacrons offer stat increases and therefore should never be legacy.. There is no argument otherwise..

Not playing the game and asking for short cuts is not a play style.. It is being lazy.. Simple as that..

Legacy has only given buffs and non items across legacy. Guess what, presence is a stat already spread over legacy, and stat datacrons don't give an item that gives a stat boost, it just gives the stat. Though legacy also tosses in an accuracy, crit, surge, etc buffs too, doesn't it.

That is all we are asking to PAY to unlock after already earning them at least once. No calls for free. No calls for never doing it ever. An alternative, like most of the legacy unlocks.

You call it lazy, your attitude is elitist, selfish and rude. Good thing the devs don't think like you, and never did from the time they started the legacy system.

Edited by odonoghuet

Legacy has only given buffs and non items across legacy. Guess what, presence is a stat already spread over legacy, and stat datacrons don't give an item that gives a stat boost, it just gives the stat. Though legacy also tosses in an accuracy, crit, surge, etc buffs too, doesn't it.

Seriously?? Presence?? That is your argument?? Presence is useless in PVP, and useless in OP's and flash points.. It doesn't buff your character in any way.. I suggest you go look at what presence is.. Cause it isn't a stat that effects your character or gives you any kind of an advantage over someone else..

Presence.. Talk about a weak argument..

Legacy only adds those things if you work all of your companions to max affection.. Which takes more effort than getting the datacrons.. It also doesn't add very much to those stats.. So your argument is moot.. Those are also % stats.. Not actual stats like Endurance, strength, willpower, cunning, and aim..

I am surprised you aren't asking for legacy companions where they are all max affection at character creation.. And if you read the tool tip, you get the bonus of crit, accuracy, and ect ect. from only one companion.. Not all.. It does not stack with additional companions of the same type.. So the bonus is miniscule at best.. Certianly not equal to a +30 to all base stats like the datacrons.. :rolleyes:

You call it lazy, your attitude is elitist, selfish and rude. Good thing the devs don't think like you, and never did from the time they started the legacy system.

Elitist, selfish and rude is asking for something that you did not earn to be given to you for free.. It is also lazy.. What do you know about what the devs think?? Obviously they don't think like you as you are here demanding changes to the game.. You are using legacy as a crutch.. You are trying to use it for things it was never intended.. Legacy was never meant to enable laziness and elitism.. It was never mean to be a buzz word for people that don't want to play the game.. You want to talk about selfish?? You are arguing to change the game to make it easier for you.. What makes you think you are so entitled to just demand the game be change to accommodate you?? To take a game feature out of context and use to your own advantage..

Seriously.. You want to talk about an attitude that is elitist, selfish, and rude?? Looked in a mirror lately?? :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

<snipping a lot of garbage>

We have already reviewed multiple times in this thread how this type of feature would have a negative impact on the gear level and economy of the entire game

Actually, no, noone has properly reviewed that. You keep pulling that one up, but you can't even give anything remotely of an answer how or why it would have a negative impact on the gear level or game economy.

1) Players can already transfer the modifications between characters through the use of Legacy gear. That means it will NOT have any impact on the gear level. The gear level is already obtainable through a little workaround.

2) For some reason, you think that players who don't raid on some of their characters, nor have the intention to, while they DO raid on other characters, are even remotely interrested in buying your overpriced mods from the GTN? Keep dreaming. It's ten times cheaper already to get the mods themselves and transfer them using legacy gear. The mods you sell are only bought by those who NEVER raid on ANY character, so they can skip content and jump right into the endgame.

(Funny enough, raiders always get upset when the idea of skipping content to get into the top end raids is brought up, but at the same time, they gladly sell the means to do so on the GTN. Double standard much?)

Basically, if my agent were to get the BiS Sniper headpiece from some cartel unlock because my Shadow won a BiS Shadow headpiece during a raid, the only thing the agent would get that was previously unobtainable would be the SHELL. The mods ARE already transferable. It's just a Quality of Life feature that my Agent doesn't have to do the operation that my Shadow already cleared. It just cuts the horrible grind of having to do those operations over and over and sending that legacy gear back and forth out of the equation, to get some stats that would end up with my agent sometime anyway, and an empty armor shell that was previously unobtainable to go with it.

It doesn't take hours to get a datacron. If it does take you that long, you seriously need to work on your jumping skills.

If you could elaborate on how working on your jumping skills would help you get, say, the Aim datacron on Tatooine with a Republic character, I would love to be elucidated; the problem with that one isn't jumping, but the fact that two of the three routes to the datacron force you to run a gauntlet of level-50 Imperial NPCs, and the third runs right through the PvP zone.

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments ever. You already need to do hours worth of tedious datacron gathering to stay "competetive"(optimal stats ARE important).

So the implementation of another option to get these stat boosts and be competitive would harm you...how? I don't understand your line of reasoning, unless you think that you'll be forced to buy the perk because your guild will call you broke if they catch you manually gathering datacrons?

Are you just upset because you've grinded out the datacrons on all your alts and feel that everyone should have to do it this way? I can't find any meat in any of your statements. Everyone that says this is a bad idea just posts their (biased) opinions on the matter, insults people(I'm looking at Majik the troll), or says it's a terrible idea and moves on.

And bytheway, EAware is apparently working on making this happen. Which is what should happen when 9/10 players want something and the other 1/10 come up with poor excuses for reasons why they shouldn't get it.

I have to assume that the 1/10 players who don't want this got all 69 datacrons on 3+ toons and are annoyed because they would have only done it once if it was legacy wide.

Guess what guys and gals? If they'd introduced the Achievement system at launch I'd have 5k player kills, and the "Beastmaster" title. I've not complained about that because I understand that postponing the launch wasn't something EA would allow and because making it retroactive clearly isn't something BW could pull off (based on their own admission). Don't complain just because you got the datacrons on multiple toons: so you would have paid CCs and saved time if they'd have this in-game previously, don't make things harder on other players just because you had it rough.

Remember 1.0-1.1? A wipe in Rakata used to cost 25k. I repeat: wiping in level 58 gear used to cost 25 freaking thousand credits. <sarcasm>Obviously they should have never changed this and wiping even once in Elite gear (Black Market/Arkanian) should cost 50k.</sarcasm>

Edited by AshlaBoga

Seriously?? Presence?? /snip

The argument that presence buffs (as well as Crit, Surge, Power, etc) are already in legacy and have been since day one is not my big argument for legacy datacrons, it is my response to your own post that legacy has never given stat buffs you posted only six hours prior.

I am going to assume that you have got a memory and are just trolling with picking out element arguments. Please also get a dictionary and check out the meaning of elitist before you use it in a sentence.

Actually, no, noone has properly reviewed that. You keep pulling that one up, but you can't even give anything remotely of an answer how or why it would have a negative impact on the gear level or game economy.

/snip

It has been reviewed in many posts because it is so simple.

The fact we get weekly lockouts on the ops is to slow down loot grinding so the majority of raiding players are still gaining gear at a progression rate that should put them maxed out without a significant break between the next teir of gear is introduced.

If each time I got an item of highest teir gear for 1 character, all my alts were given an equal peice, then the OPs and FPs would be dropping twice to twenty two times as much loot. The current system is already suffering for a poorly handled economy and crafting system and that request would damage it further.

That is how such a request would impact on others game play.

Datacrons would not have this impact, so it is in no way a similar comparison of request to make as an arguement against an unlock for legacy Datacrons.

Also, please keep calling others arguements garbage, it helps your position so much.

If you could elaborate on how working on your jumping skills would help you get, say, the Aim datacron on Tatooine with a Republic character, I would love to be elucidated; the problem with that one isn't jumping, but the fact that two of the three routes to the datacron force you to run a gauntlet of level-50 Imperial NPCs, and the third runs right through the PvP zone.

There's nothing on Tatooine that forces you to run through an Imperial base as a Republic character. Nor do you have to enter Outlaw's Den to do anything, save for actually PvPing in the area or searching for stuff with seeker droids.

There's nothing on Tatooine that forces you to run through an Imperial base as a Republic character. Nor do you have to enter Outlaw's Den to do anything, save for actually PvPing in the area or searching for stuff with seeker droids.

Oh? Not even the smuggler/trooper companion quest? Because I can only see 3 possible routes to the area where they are (same area where there is i.e. the quest where you have to go to the cave of some tribe and kill those zombie-like creatures, before you do "the thing czerka found"), and 2 of them goes through imperial base and 1 goes through Outlaw's den. Is there a fourth route?

Oh? Not even the smuggler/trooper companion quest? Because I can only see 3 possible routes to the area where they are (same area where there is i.e. the quest where you have to go to the cave of some tribe and kill those zombie-like creatures, before you do "the thing czerka found"), and 2 of them goes through imperial base and 1 goes through Outlaw's den. Is there a fourth route?

Yes, there's a tunnel between the outlaws' den and that imperial base nearby in the open passage to the Dune Sea. You should be directed to that very tunnel for that Gree quest where you have to travel across a lot of planets.

Mind you, that tunnel IS pretty obscure, it's very easy to walk right past it and think it's only a shallow cave. It's actually even a pain to find it back the first few times. But the west entrance is a few clicks north of the imperial base, in an area crawling with sandpeople.

This post alone shows how, in order for people that are against legacy wide datacrons to stay in the argument, they have to resort to extremes.

Nobody in this thread, besides you, is asking for such a thing. Why? Because it's far off topic and doesn't add anything meaningful to the discussion.

You have been debunked.

Effects low level FP queue's, people LFG for heroics, skips multiple planet content.

You suggest something bad for the game.

Credits are easy to gain via story quest alone. Enough to afford speeder training. You want to ruin the in game economy to suit your needs.

You are destroying community. You are destroying group finder queue times. You are destroying the social aspect of an MMO.

Doesn't affect anyone but the player who collects the datacron.

You suggest something good for the game.

You have been debunked.

Then why is there a bonus for companions? or a presence buff across toons?

Yea, you seem to know exactly how legacy is. :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is, you want to enforce you're own rules on other players. You want to dictate how they should play based on what you think is right and wrong. Simply because you are too lazy to adapt.

You have been debunked.

I have to assume that the 1/10 players who don't want this got all 69 datacrons on 3+ toons and are annoyed because they would have only done it once if it was legacy wide.

Guess what guys and gals? If they'd introduced the Achievement system at launch I'd have 5k player kills, and the "Beastmaster" title. I've not complained about that because I understand that postponing the launch wasn't something EA would allow and because making it retroactive clearly isn't something BW could pull off (based on their own admission). Don't complain just because you got the datacrons on multiple toons: so you would have paid CCs and saved time if they'd have this in-game previously, don't make things harder on other players just because you had it rough.

Remember 1.0-1.1? A wipe in Rakata used to cost 25k. I repeat: wiping in level 58 gear used to cost 25 freaking thousand credits. <sarcasm>Obviously they should have never changed this and wiping even once in Elite gear (Black Market/Arkanian) should cost 50k.</sarcasm>

This poster hit the nail on the head. Thank you for providing actual meaning to the discussion.

Effects low level FP queue's, people LFG for heroics, skips multiple planet content.

And datacron legacy doesn't do that?

New players will get a harder time finding others to get any of the group datacrons. There's more of those than just the fleet crons, even if the groups can be smaller.

You have been debunked.

Then why is there a bonus for companions? or a presence buff across toons?

Yea, you seem to know exactly how legacy is. :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is, you want to enforce you're own rules on other players. You want to dictate how they should play based on what you think is right and wrong. Simply because you are too lazy to adapt.

You have been debunked.

The legacy perks and presence buff were developed specifically as a legacy perk. They were not taken away from any other content. They do NOT allow you to simply skip Content X because you already aquired the rewards involved.

The *only* legacy unlock that comes even remotely close to a datacron legacy unlock is HK-51, since that is the ONLY legacy unlock that allows you to bypass content on alts to get the reward because you already did it on your main. But, there are some important details that make the HK unlock still unique.

1) The HK storyline required the use of your legacy to complete. You cannot get HK by playing only one character. You must have characters on both factions to aquire all the parts necessary to get the final reward. So the HK missionchain is a Legacy accomplishment.

And although you cannot get all datacrons with only 1 character, they are not a legacy-spanning mission. There is no ultimate reward for getting them all. Each datacron is its own stand-alone mission. None of the datacrons requires the effort of multiple characters within your legacy. Legacy unlock because it's a legacy-accomplishment.

2) HK was introduced WITH the legacy unlock available. Even though I'm still not really happy with the legacy-wide option for it, the high unlock price and it being a legacy-accomplishment somewhat justifies it. But that was the reward we were promised: do the mission chain once, and reap the reward on all your characters.

I can still do the Theoretika missions on my alts, and I have, because they are some of the best in game, but the accomplishment of doing it again on an alt feels rather shallow because of the legacy unlock. They're one-time missions, and doing them again is sadly a waste of time.

So there you have it: I'm against account wide reward unlocks for ANY content in game. And that definitely includes the datacrons, but I'd cheer if Bioware removed the Legacy unlock for HK as well, and required players to do the mission chain on each character seperately instead. Maybe remove the hunt for all the parts, though and that would include the flashpoints, but simply require players to do the quest for EACH character on which they want HK seperately.

Account-wide reward unlocks are a waste of the content where the rewards were initially aquired, and because of that a waste of the development resources spent in creating that content. All that development time spent on content a player will visit only ONCE. Yes, only once per player, not once per character. Call me an efficiency freak, but all that money was wasted on one-off content where it could have been spent on a similarly epic story arc that each player would WANT to do on each of his or her characters.

Less to do on future alts = less time having fun playing = more quiters = less customers = less Cartel sales = less income from TOR. There is already too little content in game, and the Legacy Reward Unlocks just render more of that little content we have obsolete.

And datacron legacy doesn't do that?

New players will get a harder time finding others to get any of the group datacrons. There's more of those than just the fleet crons, even if the groups can be smaller.

You have been debunked.

How many datacrons require more than one person? Give me a number.

How many Operations, Flashpoints, Heroics require more than one person? Give me a number.

You make it too easy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.