Legacy Wide datacrons

AshlaBoga

I would say that Makeb largely answered that question.. The new datacrons were pretty fun to get.. Especially the +10 to endurance one..

What makes something fun is largely a matter of opinion and personal preference. I don't find platforming fun in an MMORPG. If I wanted to play a platformer, I would still be playing those games on my NES/SNES.

So you are saying that with you, practice doesn't make things easier??

Sorry.. With most folks, practice makes perfect.. :(

Hardly. I can practice pitching and hitting a ball 10 hours a day. Doesn't mean I will ever be able to strike out Babe Ruth or hit a fastball thrown by Nolan Ryan.

The only "for" argument boils down to laziness, or the aversion to the minimal effort required to actually EARN those bonuses on each character.

Please stop generalizing this point of the argument. It has merits for some, but does not apply to all players who would request such a feature. I could say that everyone who does not wish to have Legacy Datacrons are self-entitled whiny elitists who prefer to lord their e-peen over all they see as lesser creatures. I doubt (or at least hope) that would not apply to everyone who is against the idea.

Should the person who finds leveling to be extremely boring be able to skip the leveling process and just create max level characters?

That's exactly what the XP weekends and XP boosts do. Allow players to skip leveling content on their alts in order to reach max level as quickly as possible.

What it boils down to is this. Gear, grinding out Dailies, Ops, PvP, etc. are standard MMORPG tropes. They are expected in an MMO and players understand what comes with that territory. However, platforming is not a standard MMO trope. It can be argued that such a "feature" that requires a different mind/skill set and playstyle from the standard should not even be in the game. Personally speaking, I like the idea of Datacrons being a reward for going off the beaten path and exploring the game world. However, with the platforming mechanic, they have become more than just an exploratory reward, they now become dependent on outside influences such as hardware lag. It's not about lazieness. It's about "been there, done that, not real fun, so I would like to have an alternative so that I can make better use of that time."

Out of the 5 systems on which I can play SWTOR I have just one that I can use in order to have any reasonable chance of getting many of the datacrons, and unfortunately, I do not have continual ready access to that system. To me, that is not fun or good design. The lag and other outside influences do not have as great an influence on the rest of the game to make it the difference in winning or losing, except for the space missions. It's not about laziness - it's about what I find fun in MMOs and unrelated mechanics that I do not find fun. Especially when you consider the fact that the very mechanics are immersion breaking to the established tropes of the Star Wars IP - what do you mean my force user can't just force jump right to the datacron? What do you mean my non-force user can't use a grappling hook/gun to just pull themselves up to the datacron? Now there's a difference between needed game mechanics trumping IP mechanics (such as lightsabers/blasters not one-shotting stuff), but again, platforming was not needed for the datacrons.

Exploring an MMO world, completing every single quest, mission, and raid, getting my arse handed to me in PvP are all relatable and fun (in varying degrees) and expected in an MMO. MMOs today have been about providing conveniences and options to players in order to appeal to a wider playerbase. Having an option that allows a non-standard feature to be skipped should not be unacceptable, as long as it is done reasonably. Especially when you consider the fact that they offer indelible advantages to character advancement via the stats. They in fact no longer become an option, but become necessary for increasing the durability and damage output of your character.

Ratajack's proposal is reasonable and should not pose a problem to anyone on either side of the argument. The only issue I would see with have a Legacy Unlock would be for the Matrix Shards. But even that might be something that can be accomplished through the mail system in some way. Comparisons have been made in the acquiring of gear, which also provides stats. But there are multiple options for acquiring gear - normal gameplay, crafting, trading/GTN, and the CM. Quite frankly, returning to those tropes of the IP, I think it would be perfectly acceptable (and probably easier to implement) if a legacy based skill was introduced - much like the three brawler skills and the companion dance skill. Just make Legacy Force Jump and Grappling Hook skills that can only be used out of combat that allows the character to jump or grapple to any normally accessible point on the area around them.

Edited by TravelersWay

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should the person who finds leveling to be extremely boring be able to skip the leveling process and just create max level characters? Should the person who finds the whole gear grind to be extremely boring be able to skip that process and just create characters with BIS gear, or be handed BIS gear when that character reaches max level? Should the person who finds the valor grind to be extremely boring be handed valor 70 when they create that new character? Should the person who finds the social grind to be extremely boring be handed social 10 when they create that new character?

Or is it only those aspects of the game YOU find boring that should be able to be skipped?

Be fair, everybody finds the Balloon on Tattooine boring, 30 minutes of doing nothing, and once you've seen the scenery once, you've got nothing.

You would still have to do the datacrons once, and it would exclude the shards.

The datacrons have become skippable anyhow, how many people don't bother at all, because until you get to level 55 it doesn't matter, and the mods make just as big a difference. Not suggesting insta-characters or anything like, just allow the datacron bonus's to become legacy wide.

Call it laziness or whatever, I've been there and done that with Datacrons. Got them all at least once. I even read the codex's.

I'm suggesting an in-game credits/cartel coin cost to unlock them Legacy wide just like the ship unlocks or whatever.

Any of you purists who have more time than I do to play don't have to unlock it if you don't want to. I would rather spend those couple hours doing something I enjoy in this game. If it makes you feel better than me then that's o.k. with me to.

Call it laziness or whatever, I've been there and done that with Datacrons. Got them all at least once. I even read the codex's.

I'm suggesting an in-game credits/cartel coin cost to unlock them Legacy wide just like the ship unlocks or whatever.

Any of you purists who have more time than I do to play don't have to unlock it if you don't want to. I would rather spend those couple hours doing something I enjoy in this game. If it makes you feel better than me then that's o.k. with me to.

That's the wonderful thing about the datacrons. They are OPTIONAL. You can spend those few hours you have to play the game doing something that you find more fun. If you do that, though, you don't get the stat bonuses the datacrons provide. It's your choice.

Should the person who finds leveling to be extremely boring be able to skip the leveling process and just create max level characters? Should the person who finds the whole gear grind to be extremely boring be able to skip that process and just create characters with BIS gear, or be handed BIS gear when that character reaches max level? Should the person who finds the valor grind to be extremely boring be handed valor 70 when they create that new character? Should the person who finds the social grind to be extremely boring be handed social 10 when they create that new character?

Or is it only those aspects of the game YOU find boring that should be able to be skipped?

I'm also in favor of legacy wide valor and social.

You're in favor of legacy wide valor and social. What about the other things I mentioned? Are you saying that only the things YOU find boring should be legacy wide?

What about the person who doesn't like doing dailies? What if they offered a legacy perk so that doing the dailies on one character would grant the credits and XP to all of a player's characters. After all, he did them once that day, so he proved he wasn't lazy.

I think after this I'm done discussing with Ratajack. He's already admitted that he's conditionally okay with the idea if it has stringent requirements. He keeps using the same tired slippery slope hyperbole, or his idea that laziness is a negative trait when used as a motivation for a convenience feature in a game. If you get some new, non-fallacious, arguments, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, saying the same logical fallacies over and over doesn't make them magically true.

Saying 2+2=4 doesn't make it "magically" true. It just IS true. What is, IS. Upon that bedrock principle everything else is built. You can mock and dismiss the truth if you choose, but that makes it no less true.

The only "for" argument boils down to laziness, or the aversion to the minimal effort required to actually EARN those bonuses on each character.

Please stop generalizing this point of the argument. It has merits for some, but does not apply to all players who would request such a feature. I could say that everyone who does not wish to have Legacy Datacrons are self-entitled whiny elitists who prefer to lord their e-peen over all they see as lesser creatures. I doubt (or at least hope) that would not apply to everyone who is against the idea.

Should the person who finds leveling to be extremely boring be able to skip the leveling process and just create max level characters?

That's exactly what the XP weekends and XP boosts do. Allow players to skip leveling content on their alts in order to reach max level as quickly as possible.

That's the wonderful thing about the datacrons. They are OPTIONAL. You can spend those few hours you have to play the game doing something that you find more fun. If you do that, though, you don't get the stat bonuses the datacrons provide. It's your choice.

You're in favor of legacy wide valor and social. What about the other things I mentioned? Are you saying that only the things YOU find boring should be legacy wide?

What about the person who doesn't like doing dailies? What if they offered a legacy perk so that doing the dailies on one character would grant the credits and XP to all of a player's characters. After all, he did them once that day, so he proved he wasn't lazy.

Not really, as I mention below. There are a multitude other ways to get Credits and XP in the game that do not involve grinding dailies repeatedly (again, even ways of getting extra XP that you don't actually "earn" either via the rested bonus and XP boosts and weekends - they actually give you extra XP for free!). Not so for stat bonuses above and beyond what you get via gear.

What it boils down to is this. Gear, grinding out Dailies, Ops, PvP, etc. are standard MMORPG tropes. They are expected in an MMO and players understand what comes with that territory. However, platforming is not a standard MMO trope. It can be argued that such a "feature" that requires a different mind/skill set and playstyle from the standard should not even be in the game. Personally speaking, I like the idea of Datacrons being a reward for going off the beaten path and exploring the game world. However, with the platforming mechanic, they have become more than just an exploratory reward, they now become dependent on outside influences such as hardware lag. It's not about lazieness. It's about "been there, done that, not real fun, so I would like to have an alternative so that I can make better use of that time."

Exploring an MMO world, completing every single quest, mission, and raid, getting my arse handed to me in PvP are all relatable and fun (in varying degrees) and expected in an MMO. MMOs today have been about providing conveniences and options to players in order to appeal to a wider playerbase. Having an option that allows a non-standard feature to be skipped should not be unacceptable, as long as it is done reasonably. Especially when you consider the fact that they offer indelible advantages to character advancement via the stats. They in fact no longer become an option, but become necessary for increasing the durability and damage output of your character.

Ratajack's proposal is reasonable and should not pose a problem to anyone on either side of the argument. The only issue I would see with have a Legacy Unlock would be for the Matrix Shards. But even that might be something that can be accomplished through the mail system in some way. Comparisons have been made in the acquiring of gear, which also provides stats. But there are multiple options for acquiring gear - normal gameplay, crafting, trading/GTN, and the CM. Quite frankly, returning to those tropes of the IP, I think it would be perfectly acceptable (and probably easier to implement) if a legacy based skill was introduced - much like the three brawler skills and the companion dance skill. Just make Legacy Force Jump and Grappling Hook skills that can only be used out of combat that allows the character to jump or grapple to any normally accessible point on the area around them.

Edited by TravelersWay

The truth is the truth. I have yet to see a single reason for allowing legacy datacrons that does NOT boil down to laziness, or the aversion to the minimal effort required to actually EARN those stat bonuses on every character. If you can provide a reason that doesn't boil down to laziness, I'll be glad to listen.

XP boosts and double XP weekends do NOT allow you skip leveling. They allow you to EARN XP at a faster rate, but you still have to actually EARN the XP on each character. You cannot earn XP on one character and have every one of your characters receive the same XP.

Not really, as I mention below. There are a multitude other ways to get Credits and XP in the game that do not involve grinding dailies repeatedly (again, even ways of getting extra XP that you don't actually "earn" either via the rested bonus and XP boosts and weekends - they actually give you extra XP for free!). Not so for stat bonuses above and beyond what you get via gear.

The only staple I have found among the many MMO's which I have played is that things should be EARNED and not given.

Wow now has vehicle quests, and encounters. Are those among those "staples" of MMO's you mention? NO. Can we do the Occulus dungeon once and receive those items on each character? NO. Can we do the Malygos raid once and have each of our characters receive the same item? NO.

Why should anyone expect to be able to do something once and have every character receive the benefits?

However, platforming is not a standard MMO trope. It can be argued that such a "feature" that requires a different mind/skill set and playstyle from the standard should not even be in the game. Personally speaking, I like the idea of Datacrons being a reward for going off the beaten path and exploring the game world. However, with the platforming mechanic, they have become more than just an exploratory reward, they now become dependent on outside influences such as hardware lag. It's not about lazieness. It's about "been there, done that, not real fun, so I would like to have an alternative so that I can make better use of that time."

Why do you guys take something that is required to obtain <10% of the Datacrons (platforming) and somehow make it seem like they all do? You're fine "going off the beaten path" for all the rest of them (90%) but for whatever reason you use the MINIMAL few that require platforming to build your argument against them based on this small percentage.

Why do you let <10% of something ruin your entire experience? I just don't understand the logic behind why you guys continue to blame platforming as your main reason to make them free. I'm not happy with 10% of the game but isn't 90% worth my time to enjoy it? Of course it is. Do I let the fact that I have to backtrack between mission-giver and mission areas over and over just to complete one mission chain ruin the game for me? Of course not.

Like, it takes <8 minutes to get ALL FIVE of the Ilum Datacrons but I never see anyone saying "wow, that was a pain", of course not, you'll take anything and everything that's easy and/or handed to you but put in something that's a slight annoyance and you scream "bloody murder" and demand they make it easy and effortless. You take the easy ones for granted and freak out over the few difficult ones, as if this game isn't easy enough as it is.

All you guys that want to blame "platforming" as your main reason to not do Datacrons need to re-evaluate what's really worth your time to rage about. Most of the Datacrons are stupidly easy to get, just bend over and pick them up, but throw in a tiny few that aren't like this and all hell breaks loose.

Why do you guys take something that is required to obtain <10% of the Datacrons (platforming) and somehow make it seem like they all do? You're fine "going off the beaten path" for all the rest of them (90%) but for whatever reason you use the MINIMAL few that require platforming to build your argument against them based on this small percentage.

Why do you let <10% of something ruin your entire experience? I just don't understand the logic behind why you guys continue to blame platforming as your main reason to make them free. I'm not happy with 10% of the game but isn't 90% worth my time to enjoy it? Of course it is. Do I let the fact that I have to backtrack between mission-giver and mission areas over and over just to complete one mission chain ruin the game for me? Of course not.

Like, it takes <8 minutes to get ALL FIVE of the Ilum Datacrons but I never see anyone saying "wow, that was a pain", of course not, you'll take anything and everything that's easy and/or handed to you but put in something that's a slight annoyance and you scream "bloody murder" and demand they make it easy and effortless. You take the easy ones for granted and freak out over the few difficult ones, as if this game isn't easy enough as it is.

All you guys that want to blame "platforming" as your main reason to not do Datacrons need to re-evaluate what's really worth your time to rage about. Most of the Datacrons are stupidly easy to get, just bend over and pick them up, but throw in a tiny few that aren't like this and all hell breaks loose.

There is not much to add to this post.. It is indisputable..

There is simply no argument for legacy datacrons.. If you are to lazy to get them then you don't deserve the stats.. Just like doing dailies and running ops.. If you want all the best gear then have to earn them.. There is no difference there..

I fail to see how anyone could argue against playing the game.. Legacy was never created as a means to allow people to not play the game and get stuff for free without effort..

Seriously you guys.. Quit arguing for lazy.. Either live with the choices you make or please go ruin another game and leave this one alone.. There is no reason to change the game to appease some people that don't actually want to play it.. There just isn't.. :cool:

I like this suggestion... Having to do all the datacrons on every character makes me sad. please do this suggestion.

One of the main reasons for the datacrons is for us to explore and see all the game has to offer. If you already have done that on a toon, why should I have to do it on all 6 toons. This game, just like every mmo, has a lot to offer. Having to spend all those hours to find all the datacrons on the other toons takes away hours from completing other achievements in the game.

Edited by Pendraggon
adding text

The truth is the truth. I have yet to see a single reason for allowing legacy datacrons that does NOT boil down to laziness, or the aversion to the minimal effort required to actually EARN those stat bonuses on every character. If you can provide a reason that doesn't boil down to laziness, I'll be glad to listen.

I did previously. It's about time management when there is a limited time to experience content. Last time I checked, time management was not part of the definition of "lazy."

XP boosts and double XP weekends do NOT allow you skip leveling. They allow you to EARN XP at a faster rate, but you still have to actually EARN the XP on each character. You cannot earn XP on one character and have every one of your characters receive the same XP.

But again, you are not earning all of the XP, the extra XP is being given to you will no extra effort whatsoever.

Why should anyone expect to be able to do something once and have every character receive the benefits?

Account-wide gifts, bonuses, etc. has now become one of the staples of the genre.

No rage or ruining here. Simply requesting a QoL feature that would allow for more time to be spent on "funner" parts of the game. One person's 8-minute 'cron run can be someone else's 64-minute 'cron run. Again, even though it is not a big part of the game, it is a part of the game that is nearly completely reliant on hardware lag. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have one system that I can use to reliably "platform" for the 'crons in the game. Using any other system, the two Coruscant 'crons took over an hour each to obtain (and on some systems, I was unable to obtain them at all). So, as the saying goes, time is relative.

I fail to see how anyone could argue against playing the game.. Legacy was never created as a means to allow people to not play the game and get stuff for free without effort..

Seriously you guys.. Quit arguing for lazy.. Either live with the choices you make or please go ruin another game and leave this one alone.. There is no reason to change the game to appease some people that don't actually want to play it.. There just isn't.. :cool:

And the game was never created as a Free to Play game. If there can be another staple of MMOs is that they, and their mechanics, continually change and evolve over time.

By your reasoning, then we should not have XP boosts as that also allows people to skip "playing the game." I would think that skipping planetary quests is pretty lazy and yet XP boosts and weekends allow you to do just that.

I did previously. It's about time management when there is a limited time to experience content. Last time I checked, time management was not part of the definition of "lazy."

By your own admission, you are averse to the minimal effort it would take to actually EARN those bonuses on each character. You can try to justify your laziness by calling it time management, but it is still LAZINESS. You are too lazy to earn them because you would rather do other things. That is your choice and that's fine, but don't expect me to believe a lie when you say it isn't laziness.

But again, you are not earning all of the XP, the extra XP is being given to you will no extra effort whatsoever.

You are NOT being given XP on your sage for a quest you did on your marauder. If you want the XP on your marauder, you must do the quest on your marauder. That's the same as you having to find the datacron on your marauder if you want the stat bonus for your marauder.

Account-wide gifts, bonuses, etc. has now become one of the staples of the genre.

No. Account wide gifts are not a staple of the genre. There are some COSMETIC things that have become account wide in OTHER games, true, but those account wide gifts are few. The last time I checked, datacrons were NOT cosmetic. I'm not aware of any account wide "gifts" that provide PERMANENT stat boosts.

No rage or ruining here. Simply requesting a QoL feature that would allow for more time to be spent on "funner" parts of the game. One person's 8-minute 'cron run can be someone else's 64-minute 'cron run. Again, even though it is not a big part of the game, it is a part of the game that is nearly completely reliant on hardware lag. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have one system that I can use to reliably "platform" for the 'crons in the game. Using any other system, the two Coruscant 'crons took over an hour each to obtain (and on some systems, I was unable to obtain them at all). So, as the saying goes, time is relative.

One person may take 3 days to level to max level and REALLY enjoy the leveling process.

Someone else may take 2 months to reach max level and REALLY find leveling to be "unfun". That person might want to spend more time playing what he finds to be the "funner" parts of the game. By your logic, we should be allowed to avoid the parts of the game that we find "unfun". Therefore, he should be able to completely skip the leveling process. Once he levels ONE character to max level, he should be able to create max level characters so that he can spend more time doing what he finds "funner".

And the game was never created as a Free to Play game. If there can be another staple of MMOs is that they, and their mechanics, continually change and evolve over time.

By your reasoning, then we should not have XP boosts as that also allows people to skip "playing the game." I would think that skipping planetary quests is pretty lazy and yet XP boosts and weekends allow you to do just that.

Yes, MMO's evolve, but one thing that has remained constant among MMO's is the premise that some things MUST be earned and earned by EACH character. Datacrons are one of those things.

Wow?? Do you have anything relevant to say??

Even with XP boosts, a person still has to quest and perform activities that earn XP.. They are not a free give away like legacy datacrons.. So again?? Do you have anything relevant to add to this discussion??

In the simplest of terms.. There is no viable reason for legacy datacrons.. I think this thread proves that.. They only reason to want them is laziness.. That is all.. They are not that hard to get.. Some are easy and some are a little tricky.. But like the loot from a boss.. If you want the loot you got to kill the boss.. If you want the stats from the datacrons, then you have to go get them.. There is nothing else to say here.. You are grasping at straws.. Like everyone else in your position..

People have to make a choice to get them.. They either live without them or make the effort to go get them.. It is nothing but sheer laziness to sit back and say 'Well, I got them on my main, now all my alts should get them for free.. '.. If that were true for everything in the game, there would no point in rolling an alt.. Your alt would have everything without doing anything.. I'm sorry but that just seems kind of stupid to me.. The point to rolling an alt is to play the game as another character type.. So go play the game and get those datacrons.. Otherwise live without the stats they provide.. :cool:

Edited by MajikMyst

I like this suggestion... Having to do all the datacrons on every character makes me sad. please do this suggestion.

One of the main reasons for the datacrons is for us to explore and see all the game has to offer. If you already have done that on a toon, why should I have to do it on all 6 toons. This game, just like every mmo, has a lot to offer. Having to spend all those hours to find all the datacrons on the other toons takes away hours from completing other achievements in the game.

Wrong.. The main reason for the datacrons is for the stats they provide and the codex entries.. +30 to all stats, not including Makeb datacrons.. The Makeb datacrons are +10 to Endurance and the other is +10 to presence...

I am sorry leveling each of your characters makes you sad, I am sorry earning the gear for all your characters makes you sad.. I guess you better not roll any alts.. Doing anything with them is going to make you sad cause you did it all before with your main..

Simple solution to you being sad.. Don't roll any alts.. Using your logic of course.. :)

Wrong.. The main reason for the datacrons is for the stats they provide and the codex entries.. +30 to all stats, not including Makeb datacrons.. The Makeb datacrons are +10 to Endurance and the other is +10 to presence...

I am sorry leveling each of your characters makes you sad, I am sorry earning the gear for all your characters makes you sad.. I guess you better not roll any alts.. Doing anything with them is going to make you sad cause you did it all before with your main..

Simple solution to you being sad.. Don't roll any alts.. Using your logic of course.. :)

Sorry, but you are wrong as I already have all the datacrons on 3 of my characters and 69-75 gear on all of my toons. I like leveling, OPS, and doing achievements. But I, obviously not like you, have very limited play time. So it takes me a good three weeks to get all the datacrons on one character and would like very much for them to be legacy wide as I could concentrate my time towards something else. If they don't? Aww well, I will still get all the datacrons, but it would be nice. People like you should know what they are talking about before spewing crap from the mouth since you do not know my play time, my RL situation, or what I do in game. Thanks

Sorry, but you are wrong as I already have all the datacrons on 3 of my characters and 69-75 gear on all of my toons. I like leveling, OPS, and doing achievements. But I, obviously not like you, have very limited play time. So it takes me a good three weeks to get all the datacrons on one character and would like very much for them to be legacy wide as I could concentrate my time towards something else. If they don't? Aww well, I will still get all the datacrons, but it would be nice. People like you should know what they are talking about before spewing crap from the mouth since you do not know my play time, my RL situation, or what I do in game. Thanks

Your play time is irrelevant and is not a reason to change the game.. Sorry, you are not that special.. Talk about spewing crap..

Your RL situation doesn't mean anything.. Neither does mine.. Neither does my play time.. In either case, your play time is not a reason to make them legacy.. It would be nice if people like you didn't feel so entitled that your lack of play time means the game should be changed to accommodate you.. Everyone else doesn't matter according to you..

Seriously dude?? I am not the one spewing crap around here.. All you need to do is look in the mirror for that one.. :)

I have said it before and I will say it again.. There is no viable reason for legacy datacrons.. The amount someone has to play this game is not a reason.. If you think it is, then you have some real entitlement issues..

Edited by MajikMyst

Your play time is irrelevant and is not a reason to change the game.. Sorry, you are not that special.. Talk about spewing crap..

Your RL situation doesn't mean anything.. Neither does mine.. Neither does my play time.. In either case, your play time is not a reason to make them legacy.. It would be nice if people like you didn't feel so entitled that your lack of play time means the game should be changed to accommodate you.. Everyone else doesn't matter according to you..

Seriously dude?? I am not the one spewing crap around here.. All you need to do is look in the mirror for that one.. :)

I have said it before and I will say it again.. There is no viable reason for legacy datacrons.. The amount someone has to play this game is not a reason.. If you think it is, then you have some real entitlement issues..

Just curious, what's your stance on legacy gear? The reason I ask is, are you the type of player that feels like everything should be earned on the character that it will benefit? There shouldn't be shortcuts. I can respect that. But legacy gear seems contrary to that. You can essentially use one character to gear up another character who did not earn that gear. So what's your stance on that? What's your stance on unlocking HK-51 on an alt without doing the quest? What's your stance on the entire legacy thing in general?

Why are some things acceptable via legacy, but its unreasonable to request other things to be included in it? Obviously not everything should be unlockable via legacy. If you reach 55 on one char, it shouldn't level up your alts to 55. But what's the line? What should define what's includable in legacy and what's not? Right now, it seems completely arbitrary. Which makes the legacy datacron request seem very reasonable.

Edited by gocard

Just curious, what's your stance on legacy gear? The reason I ask is, are you the type of player that feels like everything should be earned on the character that it will benefit? There shouldn't be shortcuts. I can respect that. But legacy gear seems contrary to that. You can essentially use one character to gear up another character who did not earn that gear. So what's your stance on that? What's your stance on unlocking HK-51 on an alt without doing the quest? What's your stance on the entire legacy thing in general?

Why are some things acceptable via legacy, but its unreasonable to request other things to be included in it? Obviously not everything should be unlockable via legacy. If you reach 55 on one char, it shouldn't level up your alts to 55. But what's the line? What should define what's includable in legacy and what's not? Right now, it seems completely arbitrary. Which makes the legacy datacron request seem very reasonable.

Why not? It's the same principle. You want to find the datacrons on one character and reap the benefits of the effort with EVERY character. A player who leveled a character to 55 did it once, why should he not be able to reap the benefits of his efforts on every character?

Or do you just want to those things which you find "unfun" to be "gifted" to your alts?

Why not? It's the same principle. You want to find the datacrons on one character and reap the benefits of the effort with EVERY character. A player who leveled a character to 55 did it once, why should he not be able to reap the benefits of his efforts on every character?

Or do you just want to those things which you find "unfun" to be "gifted" to your alts?

That's what I'm asking. What's the line? Why is legacy datacrons on the wrong side of the line? Unless you actually feel that unlocking lvl 55 on all chars is fair game, because then any request is reasonable.

Legacy gear is on the right side of the line. HK-51 is on the right side of the line. Why is legacy datacrons on the wrong side of the line?

That's what I'm asking. What's the line? Why is legacy datacrons on the wrong side of the line? Unless you actually feel that unlocking lvl 55 on all chars is fair game, because then any request is reasonable.

Legacy gear is on the right side of the line. HK-51 is on the right side of the line. Why is legacy datacrons on the wrong side of the line?

Does legacy gear give your characters PERMANENT stat bonuses? No. You can send mods to alts, but while those mods may increase your character's stats, those increases are not permanent.

Does HK-51 increase your character's stats at all? No. HK-51 is a companion, and as such may make it easier to level, but he does not provide any stat increases to your companion.

in the end, the decision rests with the devs. They have so far decided that legacy datacrons are on the "wrong side of the line". I agree with their decision, and hope that they do not change it.

One person's 8-minute 'cron run can be someone else's 64-minute 'cron run.

Even the most inept player with a 90% speeder can get ALL FIVE Ilum Datacrons in <15 minutes (SE exhaustion zone, QT to medcenter, Republic tent, canyon, Imperial building, Crystal Eater, done). My point is that here are FIVE Datacrons that are so moronically easy to get and people seem to just expect ALL Datacrons to be like this.

SO WHAT if a FEW of them are difficult or a little time-consuming?

Conservatively, you can get FOUR out of FIVE which is EIGHTY PERCENT of the Datacrons for doing ALMOST NOTHING... and that's not good enough?

Yes, time is relative, and not everyone does things at the same speed, I'm just trying to illustrate that the vast majority of Datacrons are "free" for bumping into them but all people ever want to do here is focus on the few that aren't "free" as if their entire gamelife is ruined cuz of them. The pettiness is unbelievable.

Why are you taking things personally and insulting others?

You seem to think that your time is more valuable than mine. Please don't. Your real life situation is irrelevant to SWTOR and I'm sure there are countless others who also have "limited time" to play but make the most of it... by playing. Conversely, there are many others who absolutely play 24/7 and have everything new that just came out within a few days, should we throttle back their playing time so it's more even with the status quo?

Our time is our own and what we decide to do with it is our choice and our choice alone. You can choose to make many characters and level them more slowly or you can make one and dominate. You can choose to get the Datacrons on each character or you don't. But do not trivialize other players' time as being less valuable than your own or make ridiculous insults cuz they have more stuff than you do.

You're saying that cuz you have less time to play you should get everything I have? You're saying that you should get the same Legacy levels I have cuz I have more characters than you?

If I have many characters and rare items cuz I'm able to put in more time and effort than you and you think you deserve everything I have? You absolutely DO NOT.

I'm able to earn everything I have for playing the game and if you can't, for whatever reason, then that's tough for you. If it takes you four Gree events to get max reputation and enough Helixes to get something nice then that's your business but don't get all upset cuz I have something that you don't cuz I'm able to put in more time than you.

I make many characters and put in a lot of effort to play a game I love and I 100% deserve to have more than someone who has one character and plays three hours per week.

Get the Datacrons AS YOU LEVEL and you'll find them much more enjoyable. Don't wait until you're 55 and then go back to get them.

Personally, I have all Datacrons on 9/12 characters, but only 66-69 gear on most of them, but you don't see me screaming for 72s cuz I haven't put in the time or effort to get that gear, do you? It blows me away that people can spend hours every day raiding to get the top gear which is something I cannot do. I applaude them and want to be like them, but I can't, but that doesn't destroy the rest of the fun I'm having playing this game.

I see people with 72 gear and am in total awe and respect them for getting it, and that's the difference. You see people with all the Datacrons and think you deserve them for not getting them rather than be respectful that they went out and got them all.

Edited by PetFish