Am I in the wrong for not wearing Recruit gear?

anthemambient

Besides my Battlemaster relics/lightsaber, my other gear are mostly Blackhole/Rakata/Columi. I'm near rank 40 but have taken a hiatus from PvP because I enjoyed PvE more in a PvE server. Decided to resume PvP and got put-down and asked to leave because of my gear. I remained proactive and just stayed, healing [sage healer] 300k+ in all three matches and I was at the top of the other healers.

Questions, am I in the wrong for not wearing Recruit gear? I have found my PvE gear do great heals in my opinion. Any healers or other class not wear any PvP gear?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides my Battlemaster relics/lightsaber, my other gear are mostly Blackhole/Rakata/Columi. I'm near rank 40 but have taken a hiatus from PvP because I enjoyed PvE more in a PvE server. Decided to resume PvP and got put-down and asked to leave because of my gear. I remained proactive and just stayed, healing [sage healer] 300k+ in all three matches and I was at the top of the other healers.

Questions, am I in the wrong for not wearing Recruit gear? I have found my PvE gear do great heals in my opinion. Any healers or other class not wear any PvP gear?

Right here.

Whoever asked you to leave didn't have much to say after the match did they?

You don't need to carry EXP all the time. You can get away with little to no expertise is you main stat is close 1500 and your HP is around 17K. This is on par with old recruit gear (haven't crunched the numbers on new recruit yet). So if any dope tell you that again, say "how you like those healz" and then promply hit the ignore button.

Replace your Columi pieces, whether with RAK/BH or BM/WH ones. You will still be on par with the equivelent tiered piece, but 300K is pretty good output for someone with what, 400EXP?

Preparing to be flamed

Seriously tho... unless you're in full black hole with augments. Wear recruit.

And even if you do have full black hole with augments... get coms and work on battlemaster gear. Swap BM in for bacl hole as you go. In the end... the point is get expertise and lots of it if you want to begin to be competitive in PvP.

Edit: just saw he's a healer... yes you'll be able to heal yourself out of situations but really... your bigger heals are scaling with the damage you are taking basically. Heal big but get hit hard.... as a sorc/sage you're already squishy. Why punish yourself more?

mitigation is your friend.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Isn't 300k+ healing satisfactory enough though? I check the Recruit gear but if memory serves me right, their stats were less than my BH/Rakata gear.

That's pretty low and your survivability will be void. Think about it: with Pvp gear you can easily get an extra 20% healing done and additionally +15% dmg reduction. Over the course of an entire warzone that is quite a lot of extra heals and less deaths. In Pvp expertise is king. The more you have the better your class performs. Recruit mk2 is just a notch below Battlemaster gear so to compromise replace your Columi and Rakata at least.

Doesn't matter. Would be better by having nearly 1k more expertise.

I should expand on this. I normally am not a fan of joining the side of the elitists that run around bad mouthing everyone and slamming them in game, (although I am known to vent on the forum) but "good enough" does not get you anywhere in PvP.

It's not PvE where the mechanics are the same and the NPCs are going to do a set amount of things where you can say something is "good enough" to make do. in PvP, the enemy is always going to bring their best and look to improve on what their best might be. Someones best will always beat "good enough."

To offer a perspective:

Expertise (thank BW) is king above all stats until it hit's diminishing returns (and still fairly good beyond that.) The general rule of thumb is 1100-1200 expertise before getting crafty with mixing in PvE gear. (At that, it's usually an armoring or two, not an entire main piece.)

Why 1100+ expertise?

Expertise effects 3 things at once, heavily. On my BM/Recruit mixed sniper I have 1000 expertise. Here is what it effects:

Damage to Other Players: +19.83%

PvP Damage Reduction: +16.55%

Healing Boost: 10.91%

Now, against a player with zero to little expertise... I do more damage, I take less, and (if I had heals) I would recover more.

So I'd agree with the others here when I say go recruit. As much as you lose in main stats, you gain leaps and bounds in PvP related Damage and Damage reduction.

Seriously tho... unless you're in full black hole with augments. Wear recruit.

And even if you do have full black hole with augments... get coms and work on battlemaster gear. Swap BM in for bacl hole as you go. In the end... the point is get expertise and lots of it if you want to begin to be competitive in PvP.

Edit: just saw he's a healer... yes you'll be able to heal yourself out of situations but really... your bigger heals are scaling with the damage you are taking basically. Heal big but get hit hard.... as a sorc/sage you're already squishy. Why punish yourself more?

mitigation is your friend.

Cmon J,

Rakata is on par with recruit(in most circles, I say Columi is), his job is to heal big. PVP is about burst, there are always lulz in th a WZ anyway. Sustained healing is not happening 100% of the time, so take the burst...

While your teammates might be naggy, if you are doing 300k healing I would just skip recruit and go straight for BM everything because it takes no time to get.

However it is generally frowned upon to not at least have recruit gear in WZ's. Although many might disagree with me, I would wrather have a Black Hole geared player than recruit. Either way you are going down fast so you might as well make them get 20k+ health down than about 13k or 14k

To offer a perspective:

Expertise (thank BW) is king above all stats until it hit's diminishing returns (and still fairly good beyond that.) The general rule of thumb is 1100-1200 expertise before getting crafty with mixing in PvE gear. (At that, it's usually an armoring or two, not an entire main piece.)

Why 1100+ expertise?

Expertise effects 3 things at once, heavily. On my BM/Recruit mixed sniper I have 1000 expertise. Here is what it effects:

Damage to Other Players: +19.83%

PvP Damage Reduction: +16.55%

Healing Boost: 10.91%

Now, against a player with zero to little expertise... I do more damage, I take less, and (if I had heals) I would recover more.

So I'd agree with the others here when I say go recruit. As much as you lose in main stats, you gain leaps and bounds in PvP related Damage and Damage reduction.

Not leaps and bounds, it's ant steps.. maybe a 200HP swing on heal/damage output over an entire set. Does 200HP swings make a difference in PVP?

Not leaps and bounds, it's ant steps.. maybe a 200HP swing on heal/damage output over an entire set. Does 200HP swings make a difference in PVP?

Maybe my math is wrong, but if I'm dealing 20% more, and yout not taking 16% less, then instead of taking a 4% stronger hit, you're taking the full 20% more. On a 5k hit, that's 6k, rather than a 5.2k hit. Some attacks hit higher, especially on crit hits.

A whole 1k is a pretty big difference.

300k healing being a good amount depends entirely on the situation. When i play my sorc a good voidstar is getting that with like 1 or 2 minutes before the first round is over... and i'm nothing really special on my sorc.

He's still wearing some columi pieces though... And EXP is 100ish... And a healer, so unless they were just letting him free cast it think that is pretty good considering the above start point....

Maybe my math is wrong, but if I'm dealing 20% more, and yout not taking 16% less, then instead of taking a 4% stronger hit, you're taking the full 20% more. On a 5k hit, that's 6k, rather than a 5.2k hit. Some attacks hit higher, especially on crit hits.

A whole 1k is a pretty big difference.

+HP makes up for that difference, hence why HP is lower on PvP gear....

5.2 is just devistating on a HP @ 14K(63% remaining) versus 6K on an HP @ 17K+(65% remaining)

You trade 800HP in mitigation for 3K+ HP. And probably nerf your healing/damage output in the process and possibly carry a ton of useless stats?

Nope...

Augs also make the choice even more lop-sided. Trading Columi for BM will be the only one "worth it", but he could also trade those in for RAK/BH and get just as much or more out of it than he ever would with recruit.

Your healing ability isn't the problem, the lack of expertise makes you very squishy, and if you are squishy, focusing on healing yourself or chilling in the spawn box, you are nothing more than a liability to your team. It depends on the class though, a commando healer may be able to get away with it due to heavy armor, but sages/scoundrels will get blown up. Edited by Devilk

Cmon J,

Rakata is on par with recruit(in most circles, I say Columi is), his job is to heal big. PVP is about burst, there are always lulz in th a WZ anyway. Sustained healing is not happening 100% of the time, so take the burst...

From personal experience of rolling a lot of DPS classes. That those healers I'm chasing that are in PvE gear no matter how good.... are much easier to kill.

Healers can get away with it more than any other class.... but in the end I personally recommend PvP BM gear over any PvE gear. I may not be seeing the big picture since the most healing I get done is in annihilation spec :D but from hunting those healers, that's what I've noticed.

Obviously... skill pending of course.

From personal experience of rolling a lot of DPS classes. That those healers I'm chasing that are in PvE gear no matter how good.... are much easier to kill.

Healers can get away with it more than any other class.... but in the end I personally recommend PvP BM gear over any PvE gear. I may not be seeing the big picture since the most healing I get done is in annihilation spec :D but from hunting those healers, that's what I've noticed.

Obviously... skill pending of course.

Well I don't think columi is optimal, but being in recruit isn't going to make a difference. You think the ones you see in PvE gear are BH/RAK types? I doubt it. I'm at 715EXP (by choice), and I smacked a Warloard Sage for 5k, so yeah mitigation wasn't helping a damn thang on that one. If I was @ 1100 EXP, I would have smacked him for 5K. The funny part is they see my high HP and think I'm in "pure" PvE gear. And then promptly send a glowstick flying their way for a 4K dispatch...

TTK being what it is, the large attacks in the game are FAR too large when compared to the HP pools, thereby making minor percentage decreases through mitigation moot. I always say this: Trade hundreds in mitigation; for thousands in HP. A whole order of magnitude.

Now add in the fact the diminish on DR is not 1100, and healing output diminish is even lower than that. Recruit gear, in lieu of any endgame PvP higher than Columi is a bad idea for a healer...