So Bioware is not backing down from the "Grab Bags"

Wraiven

who cares if they're not backing down from it.

I like it.

heres the thing... when you are a subscriber paying $15 month (esp if since before F2P announcement) you shouldnt have to spend a single cent of real money (aka cartel coins) to get ANYTHING in the game.

Why is it some people have a hard time understanding that?:confused:

As subscribers its our right to be able to get any premium item we want without having to gamble for it...

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read, these bags are bought in the store, and do not drop as loot. If this is correct, then I don't see any reason to not have them. I get the impression a lot of the complaining about these bags is less about how it's gambling, or gameplay, and more to do with the possibility someone will get a fancy new speeder, or other cosmetic fluff, that will make people jealous.

That's the hook though (all gambling relies on such things), they put in unique items and you HAVE to gamble to get them, it's plain immoral and the REASON gambling is regulated in most Western countries (to stop people taking advantage of people by making them or encouraging them to gamble in unfair ways).

Gambling is fine (although I dunno so much in a game played by kids), but it needs to be properly licenced and regulated.

From what I've read, these bags are bought in the store, and do not drop as loot. If this is correct, then I don't see any reason to not have them. I get the impression a lot of the complaining about these bags is less about how it's gambling, or gameplay, and more to do with the possibility someone will get a fancy new speeder, or other cosmetic fluff, that will make people jealous.

Your right. I dont really have a problem with the gambling element. (well i do but its not a biggie to me)

My issue is that im paying $15 a month and will still be forced to gamble with real money for a possibility of getting that really cool item, which I would be able to get by working for it if this game was not F2P!

Its an obvious, much proven way to make money, what is wrong with it? It seems some of you want this game to die. f2p is supposed to increase player base as well as BW's income you know. If BW would listen to the community they would not make a dime off of the free players.

Subs get CC's btw so you dont actually have to spend money. Unless you really want to gamble until you get the black/pink/green striped lightsaber crystal but thats really on you. Some people really want it all, dont they...

They want to make money. This will make them money. You are wasting your time. Its people that are willing to pay for being screwed over and pay for mediocrity that allow this.

Actually its us subscribers who shouldnt have to pay for anything (because of our subscription) who are being screwed to the max.

Its this sort of nonsense that i was precisely afraid would happen when the F2P announcement was made. I signed up for a premier subscription game. F2P to save the game without consulting the player base is one thing. Forcing paying players to pay more to get in game content (with no genuine alternative) is not only immoral, its quite possibly illegal in some places (think - fraud)

Subs get CC's btw so you dont actually have to spend money. Unless you really want to gamble until you get the black/pink/green striped lightsaber crystal but thats really on you. Some people really want it all, dont they...

Of course you still have to gamble! There is no other way to get it. They havent said anything like "subscription players will have a chance to get this cool content by killing this subscriber only boss "

heres the thing... when you are a subscriber paying $15 month (esp if since before F2P announcement) you shouldnt have to spend a single cent of real money (aka cartel coins) to get ANYTHING in the game.

As subscribers its our right to be able to get any premium item we want without having to gamble for it...

No it's not. As a subscriber you pay to play the game. If they want to add anything cosmetic, and charge us, it's up to them. Would you expect a free expansion?

Actually its us subscribers who shouldnt have to pay for anything (because of our subscription) who are being screwed to the max.

Its this sort of nonsense that i was precisely afraid would happen when the F2P announcement was made. I signed up for a premier subscription game.

It still is a subscription game with a F2P option with heavy restrictions.

F2P to save the game without consulting the player base is one thing.

It is their game, they do not need to consult anyone

Forcing paying players to pay more to get in game content (with no genuine alternative) is not only immoral, its quite possibly illegal in some places (think - fraud)

Cosmetic stuff =\= content. No one is forcing you to do anything. Stuff will still be sold on the GTN so there is an alternative.

Edited by HelinCarnate

Of course you still have to gamble! There is no other way to get it. They havent said anything like "subscription players will have a chance to get this cool content by killing this subscriber only boss "

Yes they could do that but that would definitely affect grab bag sales since it would be far less special to own such crystal. Really, if this is the worst way I am going to get screwed over by f2p as a sub, I am a very happy man.

Edited by Gokkus

Yes they could do that but that would definitely affect grab bag sales since it would be far less special to own such crystal. Really, if this is the worst way I am going to get screwed over by f2p as a sub, I am a very happy man.

Mark my words this is just the start of how subs will get screwed over. We are just at the top of the slippery slope. As time goes by more and more popular content will only be available at the cash shop

Your right. I dont really have a problem with the gambling element. (well i do but its not a biggie to me)

My issue is that im paying $15 a month and will still be forced to gamble with real money for a possibility of getting that really cool item, which I would be able to get by working for it if this game was not F2P!

But it is going FTP. Things are changing, and we have to all make our minds up whether we're willing to stick around, or not. There will be grab bags, there will be a store. You will have to buy some cool stuff if you want it. Don't forget that we will get cartel coins every month, so just save up:)

Mark my words this is just the start of how subs will get screwed over. We are just at the top of the slippery slope. As time goes by more and more popular content will only be available at the cash shop

It's a F2P revenue thing. I completely get why you might be frustrated by this but as long as it never becomes a pay to win you pay for cosmetic convenience. The MMO market has proven that overall this is accepted and it does extremely well.

And you don't have to gamble for it. Which part of: "Items will become unbound and available for trade on the GTN" do you not understand?

If you do not want to spend a penny more than your subscription, then you don't have to. You can merely work for it in game and buy them (for of course high prices) off the GTN.

So really, how are these items unavailable for you? How are you being forced to spend real money on them?

Edited by Devlonir

I don't mind these so much, but I think they missed a nice addition by adding a pazaak side game which had the item cards in card packs, much like SWG did with their TCG.

At least then if you didn't get the item you wanted you could still use the spares and have some fun with them.

And you don't have to gamble for it. Which part of: "Items will become unbound and available for trade on the GTN" do you not understand?

If you do not want to spend a penny more than your subscription, then you don't have to. You can merely work for it in game and buy them (for of course high prices) off the GTN.

So really, how are these items unavailable for you? How are you being forced to spend real money on them?

well... they might be on the GTN for 5mil credits an item... or if they are as rare as they need to be for it to be effective gambling (less than 1% chance) then they may almost never even make it on to the gtn because people who want it would equip it instead.

same difference really...

I don't mind them doing the bags i would think they would make them drop of monsters though and you buy an item in the cash shop to enable you to open it, well this is how they work in most games but i do not gamble so won't buy any anyway and if its just fluff items I'm really not that bothered.

But it is gambling at the end of the day which is a bit wrong in a game but that's how they make money.

So does Blizzard, like it or not microtransactions are the future of MMO gaming and has been for a while.

Sure. But in every game I have seen using this system, "micro" transactions means items you spend $20-50 real life cash on to get, whether you buy enough of the unlock tokens to gamble your way to them, or just buy enough gold to get it off the exchange from someone who got lucky.

So lets just call it what it is: Grab Bag means Bioware grabs your cash and stuffs it in a bag. More money for them. More toys for you . . . assuming you have the allowance to buy them. Everyone is a winner.

well... they might be on the GTN for 5mil credits an item... or if they are as rare as they need to be for it to be effective gambling (less than 1% chance) then they may almost never even make it on to the gtn because people who want it would equip it instead.

same difference really...

Then save up. Apparently it's extremely easy to make money in this game.

Question is if this is actully gambling in some countries / regions.

I rememebr the cash servers back in EQ2 where they had a mini game diabled since you could buy in game currency with real money and then use that currency to gamble for more.

If someone goes on and tells the EU or some states in the US about this they might have to shut the game down.

One can only hope BW and EA had their legal guys on this matter.

They want to make money. This will make them money. You are wasting your time. Its people that are willing to pay for being screwed over and pay for mediocrity that allow this.

I really just CANT be arsed commenting over this any more, vote with your wallets guys. Thats the only way to get your point across, and for sure its one of the few things they understand.