What's the general rule for rolling need for your companions?

Lium

If I can use it for myself or a companion on that character (not an alt) I roll need if it's a definite upgrade.

I have no problems with that situation at all. I agree that companions in SWTOR are a special case and as long as they’re part of our characters as they are needing for them is totally appropriate. The people I have a problem with are the ones who roll Need so they can sell it on the AH or vendor it because they “Need” credits.

Anyone does that in my groups I’d kick in a heartbeat, but never for companion needing.

Theres a checklist.

1) can anyone in your group use it? If not, ask if they mind.

2) can someone in your group use it but already hit greed? ask.

3) can someone elses companion use it? ask.

4) did someone who can use it hit need? dont even think about it.

This and what Lionflash said.

Most of the time I just greed gear that isn't an upgrade for me, though I will occasionally ask if anyone minds if I need on something a companion could use. Even in guild groups I'll ask if anyone minds if I need for a companion. It's the polite and decent thing to do.

I've seen someone get quite a waspish reply in a PuG, when they asked, which I felt was completely unnecessary. It's a fair question to ask. There's no need to be a jerk when a simple "no" will suffice.

ETA: As a trooper it was very easy to get my companions fairly well geared just by doing the dailies, since they all have aim as the primary stat and use heavy armor. I wish they'd make it possible for other classes to get their companions similarly kitted via dailies.

Edited by Grinstone

I have no problems with that situation at all. I agree that companions in SWTOR are a special case and as long as they’re part of our characters as they are needing for them is totally appropriate. The people I have a problem with are the ones who roll Need so they can sell it on the AH or vendor it because they “Need” credits.

Anyone does that in my groups I’d kick in a heartbeat, but never for companion needing.

they are NOT part of your character. if they were they would be IN THE INSTANCE.

they are not. they are like a friend of yours joining you while playing normal quest content. you don't roll need for a friend in an instance that is not actually around, or do you?

we ALL have companions that may 'need' the gear. if we all rolled need for companions everybody would roll on everything.

and why is it less of a 'need' when people really really need credits? that plain makes no sense if you NEED for someone that isn't even in the instance (the companion)

It's been said before and I'll take the lead on this thread and say it again. The general rule is...

...ask your team. Communication. Simple as that really.

If I see an orange piece of armor I always ask, cause I love orange gear and if someone doesn't care and has better stuff equiped...score for me.

This. Absolute truth.

The general rule in every MMO is...

NEED is for something your character will use.

GREED is for everything else.

+1. Default should be DON'T need for companions; if it's something nobody else in the group needs, you can ask if it's ok with everybody to need it for your companion.

The general rule in every MMO is...

NEED is for something your character will use.

GREED is for everything else.

Agreed.

However, I have one other stipulation that will change how I roll.

IF after everyone has greeded and passed and someone says, hey can I need that for a companion or alt or whatever and needs it anyway given the stated rule above. I'll need everything after that.

I can't stand someone waiting for everyone to greed or pass and then want to need knocking everyone out of even a chance at something.

So, I"m just wondering, what's the general rule for doing this? It is a practice best avoided?

There is no general rule. Except maybe ask, but that is not always so easy.

For me, Bioware should fix this, by implementing something like ''Need for companion'', between ''Need'' and ''Greed''. I don't have a clue why they don't. It's been asked repeatedly.

A few people I run with have found a fair solution for the companion-needing problem. We all greed roll on stuff we can't use for ourselves. And then, thanks to the handy 2 hour bind window, if we need something someone else won for a companion, we offer to buy it off that group member for vendor price.

Theres a checklist.

1) can anyone in your group use it? If not, ask if they mind.

2) can someone in your group use it but already hit greed? ask.

3) can someone elses companion use it? ask.

4) did someone who can use it hit need? dont even think about it.

THIS.

THIS is how it SHOULD be done, and when playing with classy people, how it is done.

When someone doesn't follow this checklist (especially #4), then thats a surefire way to the ignore list (and if enough people ignore you, its going to make it harder to find a group in groupfinder).

I cant think of a situation where this was a problem for me at least. I roll greed on companion items. To gear out my companions i really just use the tokens from running hm dailies and weeklies and that is more than adequate. If other gear is lacking i might look for something on the gtn if needed but usually dont need to

they are NOT part of your character. if they were they would be IN THE INSTANCE.

they are not. they are like a friend of yours joining you while playing normal quest content. you don't roll need for a friend in an instance that is not actually around, or do you?

we ALL have companions that may 'need' the gear. if we all rolled need for companions everybody would roll on everything.

and why is it less of a 'need' when people really really need credits? that plain makes no sense if you NEED for someone that isn't even in the instance (the companion)

Sorry, but I use my companion in instances all the time, so your point is moot.