Stupid F2P Restrictions

MoltenRog

So let me get this straight.. when someone offers you a candy bar you don't accept it and say thanks? Instead you whine about it not being the exact kind of candy bar you felt like having? If you don't like the F2P restrictions... PAY for the game. Problem solved.

Personally I invite a F2P option if it means more ppl to play the game with.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One restriction that i dont like on subs is that you have to buy a stupid pass to wear most purples. I hope that that restriction is not on Tio/Colu/Rakata and BH/Camp/DG gear otherwise i hope it only costs 1k cartel coins or less to buy the stupid pass...

Other gamea out their have this also. Cant wear raid or fabled gear in EQ or EQ2 unless subbed. It you convert to f2p from sub your gear is kicked off you and unwearable.

One restriction that i dont like on subs is that you have to buy a stupid pass to wear most purples. I hope that that restriction is not on Tio/Colu/Rakata and BH/Camp/DG gear otherwise i hope it only costs 1k cartel coins or less to buy the stupid pass...

That appears to be a typo, the other language pages have it correct. So either the other language pages have it wrong in a sensible fashion that is consistent with the phrasing of "full access" or the english one has it inconsistent

Frankly it looks like someone cut and paste something and forgot to edit it..

My only concern with the restrictions center around the emergency fleet pass.

Right now as a subscriber we get:

18h cooldown emergency fleet pass

option to buy for 1000 in game credits separate fleet passes if we have a security key

After as a subscriber it sound like we get:

18h cooldown emergency fleet pass

option to buy for real money separate fleet passes

or are they keeping the security key vendor and passes there and make them an option as well? Either way it sounds like I am going to stock up just in case.

my guess is that the fleet passes from security vendor will stay, since they aren't losing the security keys, i guess the vendors will stay too, with the stuff they sell.

but it's a good question, it made me wonder what would happen if a f2p player gets a security key. will they be able to buy the fleet passes for 1000 creds too?

That appears to be a typo, the other language pages have it correct. So either the other language pages have it wrong in a sensible fashion that is consistent with the phrasing of "full access" or the english one has it inconsistent

Frankly it looks like someone cut and paste something and forgot to edit it..

In fact it is now confirmed that it is a typo:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=544668

So let me get this straight.. when someone offers you a candy bar you don't accept it and say thanks? Instead you whine about it not being the exact kind of candy bar you felt like having? If you don't like the F2P restrictions... PAY for the game. Problem solved.

Personally I invite a F2P option if it means more ppl to play the game with.

The problem i see with restricitions it feels less like a F2P and more like a free trial.

We already have a trial to level 15 and that is during the level process, that is the probally the time in which people will decide to commit to buying a sub anyway.

Is the current free trial bringing in loads of subs\? idk.

If it is then F2P to 50 will be good, but if its not working now up to level 15, why would people be more inclined to pay after level 50 is reached?

Only time will tell i suppose. Just got to ask our selves if doing flashpoints and warzones is worth monthly fee, for many i suppose it is. For me, not so much. Personally i just log in and walk the fleet, maybe do a flashpoint or a warzone, then its back to the leveling new character screen.

Edited by kirorx

My opinion:

Less Restriction on people playing for free. Really, some people on here are acting like their sooo damn cheap. I bet alot of the people who have been subbing will go to F2P.

Aside from that, some people CANT pay 15 bucks a month, as crazy as that sounds either A)Parents dont give you their credit cards, B)The Economy is in the toilet and they cant find a job, or C)Money is just too tight.

If I didn't get Time Cards for helping do side work for my dad when he needs it(disabled) I couldn't sub. Simple as that, I can't afford the 15 dollars a month being 18 and raising a kid working dead end jobs.

Anyways, Less restriction on the people who don't sub and more incentive TOO SUB.

Look at it this way, most people complain because End game is sooo boring. Do you really want even more people doing that? Imagine the F2P players who will be here complaining because its even more boring.

Give subscribers something like this:

-First people to get expansions, F2P waits say a week, 2 or even a month afterwards.

-Cosmetics. Really, isn't that what most people want? Is to look the way they want to look. I see so many threads where people are looking for certain gear...etc. Just give them MORE and take LESS from F2P.

-EXP/Legacy Packages. If your a sub you get access to EXP enhancers, legacy enhancers...etc. Start a new character, get a double exp boost, plus the rested boost. Thats a 4X boost on exp.

Really, they could come up with a better way to make people want to sub, I understand the restrictions, limited access and such. But I don't see it working in the future honestly. Thats putting people away from wanting to play free, and if they ain't wanting to play free why would they even sub?

My opinion:

Less Restriction on people playing for free. Really, some people on here are acting like their sooo damn cheap. I bet alot of the people who have been subbing will go to F2P.

Aside from that, some people CANT pay 15 bucks a month, as crazy as that sounds either A)Parents dont give you their credit cards, B)The Economy is in the toilet and they cant find a job, or C)Money is just too tight.

If I didn't get Time Cards for helping do side work for my dad when he needs it(disabled) I couldn't sub. Simple as that, I can't afford the 15 dollars a month being 18 and raising a kid working dead end jobs.

Anyways, Less restriction on the people who don't sub and more incentive TOO SUB.

I agree with you.

I will be going F2P, now this is not because i can't afford it. I can.

Its simply because when i log into my main character, i just do some laps around fleet, maybe a flashpoint or 2. That kind of end game content has me constantly on the fence of "unsubbed",

So the end game stuff for me is boring and if was not for the "reroll" then i would have been out a long time ago.

So if i can just ditch my old 50's and not pay any more and still level the couple storys i have yet to see, then that is whay i am going to do.

I agree that there needs to be more incentives not deincentives.

I'm tired of everyone saying "only time will tell".

You can make educated guesses. My guess from looking at the matrix is that this very limited free-to-play (more of an extended trial) will not change anything. f2p players lured into the game will get pissed off with the limitations and leave before paying sub for a game with already bad press. Maybe they will finish some storylines (for free) and then quit.

With regard to current subscribers endgame PvE (operations) is nice but there are less and less people to play it with. And f2p will not change it. PvP is a grinding, bugged disaster with no clear goal (rated season) and lack of balance. While still enjoyed by hardcore PvPers - lets be honest - there isn't enough of them. There is a lot of potential to make PvP better but it is clear that there is not enough funding.

That applies to everything in this game. Solid base and excellent potential that will never be fulfilled because EA gave up on the game and went for useless f2p that had only one effect - more bad press for the game and more subscribers losses.

EA's aim at this point is to make money on ridiculous cartel coin fluff. Good luck with that.

Edited by vandana_

I agree that there needs to be more incentives not deincentives.

But which is more lazy...er...cost effective, gut the current game experience and sell it piecemeal to the FTPlayers, or re-frame from segregating the subs and non-subs and give the subscribers real currently unavailable incentives( i.e. new game features) to justify paying their 15 bucks a month?

Other gamea out their have this also. Cant wear raid or fabled gear in EQ or EQ2 unless subbed. It you convert to f2p from sub your gear is kicked off you and unwearable.

Which is stupid.

I've been saying for a while, SWTOR really needs to win some player good will. Implementing these kind of harsh restrictions is not going to accomplish that. What a player earns, they should be able to wear. There's tons of other ways they could charge a F2P player. Heck, they're already planning on charging players weekly just to play end-game content. Making a cost on top of that is just insane.

Which is stupid.

I've been saying for a while, SWTOR really needs to win some player good will. Implementing these kind of harsh restrictions is not going to accomplish that. What a player earns, they should be able to wear. There's tons of other ways they could charge a F2P player. Heck, they're already planning on charging players weekly just to play end-game content. Making a cost on top of that is just insane.

F2P players I say should never see end game content at all or allowed end game gear. Not even if they buy into it. It should be sub only.

Edited by bravotwentysev

It is no surprise to me that f2p isn't actually free. Can I use cartel coins (or whatever) to buy unlimited access to wzs (for a month)? What about cartel coins for speeder use?

You can buy unlimited access to wzs for a week,don't know if they're planning on adding a monthly pass for that.

F2P players I say should never see end game content at all or allowed end game gear. Not even if they buy into it. It should be sub only.

Why? Because their money isn't as good as yours?

The whole point of going to a F2P model is to encourage players that would otherwise not subscribe to put down some money for your game.

These restrictions do not accomplish that goal at all in my opinion. They're unnecessarily punitive, and will only make players cease to play the game once they get to end-game. No F2P is going to hit level 50, run 3 warzones, and then feel willing to pay more. Even more so when they have to buy a pass to equip the gear they just earned.

Why? Because their money isn't as good as yours?

The whole point of going to a F2P model is to encourage players that would otherwise not subscribe to put down some money for your game.

These restrictions do not accomplish that goal at all in my opinion. They're unnecessarily punitive, and will only make players cease to play the game once they get to end-game. No F2P is going to hit level 50, run 3 warzones, and then feel willing to pay more. Even more so when they have to buy a pass to equip the gear they just earned.

i agree, cant help but feel that F2P is a trial option. We already have a trial to 15, what is the point of having one to 50. That wont help new subs. Just going to decrease the amount of paying players.

They shouldn't bother calling it F2P then.

If you want to see a real F2P model, take a look at DDO, or LOTRO, or STO. They have models that work, and don't make the paying F2P player feel like a second class citizen. All of this nickle and dimeing is ridiculous, and it will not do SWTOR any favors with trying to court new players.

But...if you aren't paying...you...are...a second class citizen? Why should you have the same stuff as someone who is paying? Suck it up and pay your 50 cents a day if you want the same perks as subscribers.

The whole point of them adding the f2p option is to make more money. It is not charity, it is not to give cheap people a way to play.

They want to attract two types of people: They want people who will buy a lot of stuff in the shop, and they want people who will get hooked on the game through f2p and then decide to sub.

The people ************ and moaning in this thread are not the type of people they are hoping to attract with the f2p option.

But...if you aren't paying...you...are...a second class citizen? Why should you have the same stuff as someone who is paying? Suck it up and pay your 50 cents a day if you want the same perks as subscribers.

Really, in a good F2P model, the F2P player is still paying money, just in a different manner than the subscriber.

Players pay for a subscription for the convenience. They don't have to worry about restrictions and can play completely unhindered. They also get a stipend of the store currency so they can buy what they like without buying coins directly.

F2P players should be instead paying more piecemeal. They get to decide what they like, but will run into some restrictions unless they unlock them. For other MMOs, this can mean F2P players essentially buy to own parts of the game. They pay more than what it would cost for a month, but they ultimately get to come back.

It's not about "sucking it up". It's about having a reasonable limitations and reasonable ways to lift those restrictions. Weekly passes, pay to unlock raid gear. Those are not reasonable.

Really, in a good F2P model, the F2P player is still paying money, just in a different manner than the subscriber.

Players pay for a subscription for the convenience. They don't have to worry about restrictions and can play completely unhindered. They also get a stipend of the store currency so they can buy what they like without buying coins directly.

F2P players should be instead paying more piecemeal. They get to decide what they like, but will run into some restrictions unless they unlock them. For other MMOs, this can mean F2P players essentially buy to own parts of the game. They pay more than what it would cost for a month, but they ultimately get to come back.

It's not about "sucking it up". It's about having a reasonable limitations and reasonable ways to lift those restrictions. Weekly passes, pay to unlock raid gear. Those are not reasonable.

Of course its entirely reasonable

Want to use all features? Get a sub.

Want to use some features? Get some coins.

Want to pay nothing? You still have a huge segment of the game available, crying over having to walk after 5 deaths is comedic to say the least

Want everything for nothing? Well I guess that sums up most of the whiners in this thread. "I dont want to pay but I want it ALL!!!"

Its like being given a free big mac and then complaining you didnt get fries and a shake.

Why aren't they reasonable? Given that we know nothing about how many coins they will cost and how much each coin will cost, how is it possibly unreasonable? Once we have that information, the COST MAY BE unreasonable, but the feature?

No, I am sorry, if you think its unreasonable, you have a bad case of entitlement. You are getting the game FOR FREE! Complaining it is not free enough is not reasonable.

Its like being given a free big mac and then complaining you didnt get fries and a shake.

Basically this.

Edited by Icebergy

My question is, why didnt they just use the method DCUO used for f2p. I started playing that game when it went f2p, where you werent restricted to the gameplay. Because i was able to play through most of the game, i started to support it, buying the expansions which made me a premium member (which gave me more access to things like more inventory space and more room for more toons) and buying things like cosmetic changes to my toons. I also wasnt restricted to not using the gear i earned cause i wasnt paying.

Whats been done here with f2p is they've made this a f2p single player game. The f2p model does nothing for the endgame community. New players are gonna be running around the leveling zones adding nothing more to the game . I dont see the point to it if its not bringing people to the game to play it beyond leveling. I'm not advocating for all access to all for f2p, but what they are going to be doing makes no sense. I've been here since beta, and i dont see this going well when other games are doing it better and are making it more enjoyable for the players.

DCUO may not be for everyone, but atleast they do f2p right imho. They give you choices and let you decide what level of the game you'd want to pay/play for. This seems like a waste of time.

So people get to level for free and then they can decide if they want to pay to stick around for the end-game. Why should they get all that for free? If I can do everything on F2P, why in the world would I subscribe?

I dont see how this f2p model is supposed to entice players back, any ex-player who is looking to return but has been put off by the sub is not going to come back to this highly restricted and limited sub set of the game, are they?

http://www.swtor.com/free/features is about as vague and un-informative as BW get, do we assume that the full set of f2p restrictions are to apply to returning players too or only to new sign ups? Lotro had an additional f2p option where existing players returning did not lose anything, sure they didnt get a full set of character slots but they didn't get ONE only, they could use any items they had, yes they were locked out of some content without the appropriate purchase but it allowed anyone to come back, get back into the game and either buy access or resub. It worked. I cant see how this is going to work at all.

At best its a free trial of the 1-50 levelling experience, after that its sub or quit, you have no where near enough access to the game in f2p to have any sort of enjoyable game play experience IMHO. And isn't that the point? to create a free access path that will let people experience the game and want to buy access or a sub? so why create a path with so many gates over some pretty petty things too?

the 1 to 50 experience is pretty good, generally accepted to be the games strength, its got almost nothing to do with the level 50 experience at all, many many times people have remarked that they are two games grafted onto each other.

Sorry BW, but I don't think you have grasped the point of this at all.