Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0

Werdan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!

I was going to create a new thread and ask for advice, but thought I'd pop in here first and see what I get.

Ive just hit 50 in the last 2-3 days and started farming Valor (30) and maanged to luck up quite a bit bits of champ tokens so far, but I'm stumped what to buy.

The 'MEDIC' set has Crit/Alcracy (Haste), and Ive been told multple times, Crit/Surge is what we want.

Also, the set bonus for the MEDIC set is rather useless, as I think the final Bodygaurd talent is useless in PvP, a 30 second CD is massive, even if I can reduce the CD by 2-3 seconds.

So, what I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what items to buy? Earings/Implants as well as set.

Hola fellow Bounty Hunters!

I just hit Hoth on Twin Spears and have begun encountering open world PvP for the first time really and I've been getting my butt kicked by Rep Commandos and Knights. Just to give you some background, I'm a level 39 BH Merc with an Arsenal build and for the most part have just been doing my class quests and enjoying the story line. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on rotations for PvP or gear load outs.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Hey again guys,

Checking in on the thread and it's great to see it continue to grow and increase everyone's knowledge base. I did have a few questions/concerns that I'm hoping you guys might be able to answer.

So let me preface this by saying that I'm currently a level 35 Aresenal Specced Merc. I've obviously got a few more abilities to unlock and talents to pick up, but this is the general build that i'm currently heading for: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rc0MZrIkroMdRzfz.1

I'm primarily trying to focus on PvE right now since that's generally what I focus on when I get to end game. I've skipped several of the survivability/CC focused PVP talents. There were also a few talents I decided to pick up along the way because I had to put points into something just to get to the next tier. Feedback/Notes on the build are appreciated.

My first real question is related to Skill usage/rotation. I've asked this of Werdan previously, who answered by saying that he doesn't really stick to a certain rotation because things are far too situational in PVP and it gets boring in PVE. That makes perfect sense to me, but I am curious/concerned about achieving the best sustained damage I can in groups so I'm positive I'm pulling my weight. Throughout the thread there have been a few smaller discussions about abilities and how effective they are compared to others. I'd love get a better idea of what abilities you should be focusing on for maintaining damage output (i.e. What's the ability priority)

My current ability selection mentality is as follows:

Groups/AOE - (Note: This is the general series I use if Death from Above is down) Fusion Missile to apply a group DOT/debuff & CC -> Explosive Dart to continue the apply another CC/knockdown and additional AOE damage -> Clean up whatever targets are left with Missile Blast for additional AOE damage & knockdowns

Single Targets - Tracer Missile x3 to apply debuff stacks to target -> Rail Shot if it's available -> Unload if it's available -> Power Shot if it's available. From here I maintain my 5 debuff stacks with Tracer Missiles as needed, and use a Power Shot or Basic White Damage Attack to fill in gaps while I wait for Unload and Rail Shot to come off of cooldown.

Just curious what you guys think of this setup. There seem to be some talks about Power Shot not really being worth the effort or heat and that it makes sense to spam more Tracer Missiles (especially since I just realized the self buffs provided still require 5 shots instead of 3 like the armor debuff does...). I assume that eventually some of the other abilities I get (Like Heat Seeking Missiles) will replace something in this priority list?

I've had a pretty decent time playing the Arsenal Merc, but I'm starting to become concerned that it's just all about Tracer Missile spam, which seems sort of boring to me. Also, the lack of mobility is somewhat of a concern now that I'm actually playing the class first hand. I'm giving some serious thought to trying out the PyroTech build to see what I think of that. I loved playing my Warlock in WoW and being able to run around, do damage and inflict DoTs so maybe a PyroTech is more my style after all.

A few additional questions:

Werdan - Are you still using the hybrid spec posted up on your first page. I'm also thinking of trying this build as well to see what I think.

How difficult is it to get people off of you in PvP with some of the additional PVP based talents with knockbacks and slows? I'm built pretty much completely PVE so I don't want to pass judgement on anything without trying it, but the few PVP situations I've gotten into have gone horrible due to a lack of maintaining distance and getting all of my casts interrupted. I don't want to jump on the "ZOMG WE HAS NO SURVIVABILITY" bandwagon because I understand that classes have to have counters, but it just seems extremely frustrating to have to sit still and keep people off you in order to maintain high DPS in PVP.

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice. Happy hunting.

And to Jablestein,

Your AOE is fine except I normally finish them off using Tracer Missile since it does more damage and uses much less heat than Missile Blast. I have never really used Missile Blast since the heat cost is way too high for such a weak move.

And for your normal rotation against a single enemy

Tracer Missile x3 to stack debuff, Heatseeker Missiles when you finally get it, Unload if it has procured, Tracer Missile x2 to get the last 2 Tracer Locks, Rail Shot. After that, keep using Tracer Missile to gain Tracer Locks and use Heatseeker Missiles and Unload every time it procures.

I never use Power Shot because Tracer Missile gives you Tracer Locks and Barrage while venting heat when it crits.

Edited by bobafetea

I definitely recommend Stabilizers because of the pushback from Tracer Missile and Unload

Thanks for the response, and I will take your advice. What is pushback? I'm thinking of when I use Tracer Missile and Unload and I don't recall the toon being moved backwards, so I know it doesn't mean that. I figure the definition is something I've heard of under differnt terminology in other games.

Incidentally, I tried to search for the answer on the forums before asking, but the search feature here kinda sux.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm going to use one of my favorites lines from the previous thread here. The class is only as good as the player behind the keyboard. Overall though, I'd say Mercs aren't really made for 1v1s unless we get the ranged advantage very early on. If you want a strong 1v1 class I suggest Assassin or Operative. If you're looking to blow stuff up, do insane damage and be a team player (when played right), Merc is for you.

Not gonna lie I love being a help to my team with heals and a nuisance to the other with AoE's and splash damage lol

Thanks for the response, and I will take your advice. What is pushback? I'm thinking of when I use Tracer Missile and Unload and I don't recall the toon being moved backwards, so I know it doesn't mean that. I figure the definition is something I've heard of under differnt terminology in other games.

Incidentally, I tried to search for the answer on the forums before asking, but the search feature here kinda sux.

When hit with an attack while casting a move, the casting bar literally gets pushed back and takes longer to cast the move. Definitely a must for both tracer missile and unload.

Hello there:)

I am currently using this spec http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/mercenary/#::f17df5ef6e2f2ecf3e5de3fef2e3f3e:. I feel that i am doing good dps right now (still need some more crit/surge though) and my vent it ok, both in pvp/pve. My thought is that with this spec i can do good aeo dmg (also in kiting situations) and tracer missile/railshot for high burst dmg. What do you guys think?

Thank you for helping a fellow mercenary:)

Edited by bloodspatter

Hello there:)

I am currently using this spec http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/mercenary/#::f17df5ef6e2f2ecf3e5de3fef2e3f3e:. I feel that i am doing good dps right now (still need some more crit/surge though) and my vent it ok, both in pvp/pve. My thought is that with this spec i can do good aeo dmg (also in kiting situations) and tracer missile/railshot for high burst dmg. What do you guys think?

Thank you for helping a fellow mercenary:)

You must have a crazy crit% with that build. I'm only wondering if you need tracer missile in there at all. I mean it reduces armor, yet all your other damage dealing abilities deal elemental damage, where (if i'm correct) armor doesn't play a role.

I think you'd have a lot more use from removing stabilisers and tracer missle and investing them elsewhere. But maybe I'm wrong about tracer?

You must have a crazy crit% with that build. I'm only wondering if you need tracer missile in there at all. I mean it reduces armor, yet all your other damage dealing abilities deal elemental damage, where (if i'm correct) armor doesn't play a role.

I think you'd have a lot more use from removing stabilisers and tracer missle and investing them elsewhere. But maybe I'm wrong about tracer?

Yeah, i'm still in the testing modus when it comes to using the tracer missile. It seems to be doing more dmg than the power shot, but not really sure why. I was thinking of using tracer missile for the heat and then using the instant rail shot. I'm not sure, but i think that the railshot might even do more damage after using tracer missile combined with the extra dmg the railshot does from targets that burns (from the rain of fire abillity). Maybe i'm mistaken though, that the heat signatures are not really fire? In that case i would guess the tracer missile is not that good?

Hmm, maybe you or some other people know that?:)

Edited by bloodspatter

When hit with an attack while casting a move, the casting bar literally gets pushed back and takes longer to cast the move. Definitely a must for both tracer missile and unload.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate you answering such a newbie question.

If you don't mind, what would be your suggestions for the points to spend after I max Stabilizers. I play PvE exclusively, and also adventure with my girlfriend who plays a Sith Inquisitor (she does mad AOE damage). We utilize our companions for tanking and healing. Didn't know if that info would be helpful or not.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate you answering such a newbie question.

If you don't mind, what would be your suggestions for the points to spend after I max Stabilizers. I play PvE exclusively, and also adventure with my girlfriend who plays a Sith Inquisitor (she does mad AOE damage). We utilize our companions for tanking and healing. Didn't know if that info would be helpful or not.

I think you should respec to drop Kolto Vents and pick up Hired Muscle as a must for the increased tech crit chance, Med Tech, and Power Overrides

I play more pve then pvp and love the spec btw. I confused the hell out of ppl why I specced that way and how I play, but who cares because i can work my way out of a wipe compared to everybody else. But, i'm question is afterburner more useful than target tracking for pve?

Best,

Yume

Hey this is my first experience playing an MMO, I tanked as a powertech for a while, but decided to switch to a mercenary because I didn't like the feel of the powertech. I feel like I did a pretty good job as a tank, but I really don't know how to be an effective DPS (especially since I haven't run into any good examples). Could you give me some tips to help me step up my DPSing?

werdan, what are you doing with the T3 gear? I have been creating a mix of pvp gear to be honest as the 15% crit on rail shot is pretty pointless.

Problem is, all the T3 merc gear is basically either alcrity /crit or accuracy/crit, and the powertech dps set is the same, so stripping t3 level enhancements is not an option. Any solution other then to reuse the T2 crit/surge enhancements?

Yeah, i'm still in the testing modus when it comes to using the tracer missile. It seems to be doing more dmg than the power shot, but not really sure why. I was thinking of using tracer missile for the heat and then using the instant rail shot. I'm not sure, but i think that the railshot might even do more damage after using tracer missile combined with the extra dmg the railshot does from targets that burns (from the rain of fire abillity). Maybe i'm mistaken though, that the heat signatures are not really fire? In that case i would guess the tracer missile is not that good?

Hmm, maybe you or some other people know that?:)

I hope somebody gets back to you on this because I'd like to know as well.

I haven't tried the Pyro spec yet but I was thinking of going with a similar build to yours. There's a nice thread now for pyro specced mercs in the forums, maybe a kind soul would grace us with their appearance and shed some light on the subject. It's all theory anyway until we have combat logs to analyze. :)

And to Jablestein,

Your AOE is fine except I normally finish them off using Tracer Missile since it does more damage and uses much less heat than Missile Blast. I have never really used Missile Blast since the heat cost is way too high for such a weak move.

And for your normal rotation against a single enemy

Tracer Missile x3 to stack debuff, Heatseeker Missiles when you finally get it, Unload if it has procured, Tracer Missile x2 to get the last 2 Tracer Locks, Rail Shot. After that, keep using Tracer Missile to gain Tracer Locks and use Heatseeker Missiles and Unload every time it procures.

I never use Power Shot because Tracer Missile gives you Tracer Locks and Barrage while venting heat when it crits.

Hey Boba,

Thanks again for your tips. I guess that sort of answers my question about Tracer Spam and Arsenal play styles. I guess there's just something not that interesting about sitting there and spamming tracer missiles as the primary source of damage. I can see where the whole "Turret of Doom" aspect might work well for some people...but it's not exactly my play style.

That being said, I switched over to a quick Pyrotech build and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure of the difference in DPS (since there's really no way to pull that data right now as far as I know) but it seems comparable and i'm killing things just as fast as I was. The added mobility is nice and managing your skill priorities between Incendiary, RailShots, PowerShots and Unload just seems a little more interesting to me. I highly suggest anyone interested in more mobility and a more interesting skill usage set (at least in my opinion) check out the Pyrotech guide as well and give it a shot (pun intended).