Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0

Werdan

Thanks for these posts, they really are helpful and fun to read through for people like myself, yet to see any in game time. I was wondering what the difference in damage output between a full arsenal DPS spec, and this hybrid spec? I've always been a min/maxer, but I really like what you are saying about this spec you have been using. Thanks in advance!

The difference is about 10% give or take damage wise, but healing is way higher with a hybrid build. If I had to put a number on it I'd say 2-3times more healing than a 31 pt Arsenal spec.

Hi all, and congratulations for this really extended guide. I've tried to check out the old thread posted now via GDocs but did not find response to my question, which I'm sure it's been already answered before...

Are the Bounty Hunters, either Powertechs or Mercenaries, able to kill players in "bounty hunting" missions? I come from SWG, and there you could try to get down other players accepting missions on a BH Mission Terminal, that was just cool. Is this feature implemented in SWTOR too? Also, if it is, Mercenaries are the right ones to go 1on1? I've already seen that it may be better an Assa or an Operative, but they cannot accept these type of Bounty Hunting missions, right?

Thanks!

There are no player bounties but I'd guess they are on BW's "wall of crazy". IMO melee classes like Sin or Op are better suited for 1v1. I'm more a team player which is why BH and this spec in particular suits me well. That's not to say we can't handle ourselves, just that we aren't built for it.

Of the three tanking companions, is their a quantifiable game mechanic difference or does it all come down to picking Skadge or one of two ugly ones?

2 tanks only as someone else pointed out. I love Mako as you can never have too many heals while leveling. I like Gualt but I still tend to pull aggro off him which means I have to heal more. At endgame I love Torian for his melee DPS. He holds aggro well when properly geared and packs a nice punch. Plus he can use all my duplicate or older gear without needing to look for different mods.

can someone explain to me how cylinders work?

only one active at a time ?

and "talents" active a cylinder that you arn't using?

They are passive buffs specially used for each tree. Some skills can only be activated with certain cylinders. For example you can't get the proc from Terminal Velocity if you are using Combusitble Gas Cylinder.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warden,

Thanks for the continuing support of the BH Community. Two things...

1) Thinking of this build for mostly PvE, jumping into a BG here and there... mostly DPS w/ a little healing util. Any thoughts?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bfRZrIkbordRkcz.1

2) In your OP, you don't really talk about Rail Shot much, and I don't see it get much love in merc decisions. With a spec like this, It ends up costing only 8 heat w/ HVGC and does an extra 30% damage w/ max'd out Tracer Locks. Seems like great damage per heat. Thoughts?

:ph_thank_you:

Solid spec but I'd Drop Supercharged Gas IMO. You really won't use it much with that spec. Jet Escape is an odd choice considering this is for PvE. I'd get Custom Enviro Suits instead. With a point left over I'd probbaly also lose 1 point in Integrated Systems to get you 2 points to spend in Improved Vents.

I like Rail Shot and use it every time it's up (at 8 heat why wouldn't I ?) but it still needs work. I'm going to submit feedback soon on some bugs I'm still seeing. I'm also going to continue to push for Rail Shot to be changed to a tech skill as it should be.

Thanks again Werdan for the community support you provide.

I was wondering if you could delve into this in a little more detail?

I'd specifically like to know which bodyguard skills you would give up to get riddle and tracer lock. Also which Arsenal skills are the next most useful build up to those 2 skills?

I'd probably do this. That last missing point would either go into Heat Damping or Power Shield. Most likely HD as I always like to reduce heat as much as possible.

Heya. Thanks for such an amazing thread.

My question is:

For a merc, what stats are best? And in what order. What type of stat gear says this is for a merc? And if there is anything else you can add about stats we should know.

You always get aim and endurance but when given a choice, always choose the aim heavy version. I prefer crit and surge as my secondary stats that start to show on gear later on as you level.

Hi Werdan,

I don't recall you posting a pic of your Beta character in the old thread. I'm curious to see what armor you were able to get as a BETA Merc.

I think I have maybe 2 pics total from beta LOL. Both were from very early in beta and quite ugly. Our look has changed quite a bit since then at all levels. Sorry, I'm just not that nostalgic and very camera shy. :p

TY werdan to follow your thread :) Have you think about swap Heat damping+Power shield for Protective Field? Will you try that?

If Bioware would give me the extra 2 points I would. Haha. Unfortunately, I can't do that as I'd have to give up Terminal Velocity to pick it up. In case you didn't know, you need at least 5 points to go from tier one to tier 2. 10 points to open tier 3, 15 for 4, 20 for 5 etc. it wouldn't be possible for me to keep Arsenal as is and pick that up.

Thanks for all the great help in those 2 threads! One question that's been on my mind for WEEKS now:

While PT could be considered more of a PVP spec, many (if not all I know or read from) good players choose Merc, specifically with PVP in mind...

Why is that? What makes you ditch the more "natural" PVP spec in favor of Merc?

Range? But you give up mobility, right?

DPS? But what's DPS if you're squishy and vulnerable to Melee?

I know you must have some great reasons that I never even considered, yet I'm wrecking my brain trying to understand all you guys that pick Merc for PVP.

Got any insights for me? They'd be hugely appreciated!

I haven't had the luxury of pvping yet, but there are some mmo basics that might answer this.

Take engagement size into consideration. With large numbers of people in a battle, a melee character has to put himself into attack range of the entire enemy force to do damage. This usually means getting perma-cc'd or instakilled.

A range character on the other hand can stay far back and hardly get touched - if at all. Even if he does get melee on him, theres a good chance the rest of his team will be blowing that guy up anyways.

The larger the battle size, the better and more important range is.

I have no idea the average size of fights that take place in this games pvp, but its possible that the engagements are large enough to make a big difference.

Edited by cwatz

Thanks a lot for the info Werdan! I've been trying to figure a hybrid spec that can dps and heal effectively.

Since I only got to lvl 15 in the weekend beta, I'm not sure how to spend the points. You mentioned you focus more on pvp, can you help me create a more pve/leveling focused build? I really have no clue what I should be picking up and what to drop. Thanks!

Also, in your opinion, once at end game, would it be safe to say it's better to go 31 points into a single tree for raiding? I'm guessing for raiding I would probably want to min/max a bit more... thoughts?

I have a question about points to get skills. Can you get as many of the Bounty Hunter skills as you want without it counting towards your advanced class skills. It seems the regular BH skills just cost credits and not skill points. Is that correct? I was just worried I will buy too many of the BH skills and then not be able to get the all the advanced skills.

Could someone please clarify this for me, thank you.

Sorry for the "little bit offtopic question" but someone mentioned here that the skills of the companions will be added.

Is this really true ? I have never read something like this.

"...1st companion gives +5 Cyber Tech and +15 Slicing.

2nd gives +5 Slicing and +15 Underworld Trading

3rd gives +5 Armor Tech & +15 Slicing

thats a total of

+35 in Slicing.

+15 in Underworld Trading

+5 Cyber Tech

+5 Armor Tech.

..."

Please comment. Thank you.

I have seen that this was wrong. Every skill exists only 1 time per class and over all companions. So a summing up is not possible.

Edited by Garazdraki

Thanks for all the great help in those 2 threads! One question that's been on my mind for WEEKS now:

While PT could be considered more of a PVP spec, many (if not all I know or read from) good players choose Merc, specifically with PVP in mind...

I know you must have some great reasons that I never even considered, yet I'm wrecking my brain trying to understand all you guys that pick Merc for PVP.

I have done a lot of PVP so much that I know that your Valor level doesn't go higher than your actual level and and you max out at 1000 warzone commendations, I play a Merc and have never been out side the top 5 in kills and DPS. Merc just provides better damage when used right.

Last one werdan : for a pvp toon do you suggest biochem over cybertech or the contrary? Is Granades better than unlimited heal? Mods over implants?

i cannot confirm the accuracy of this, but it has been said many times on the old forum

that you CANNOT use the unlimited stims, healthpacks etc in organized pvp

If anyone has experience in the retail client to the contrary, please post.

- another THANK YOU WERDEN this thread is amazing. I never saw V1 but i had been agonizing over whether to spec healing or arsenal, now i will not have to choose

and i would also like to hear more about what crafting will be best during lvling and then endgame. I am the type that usually lvls all resource for the money, and then switches to crafting at endgame.

I also ONLY choose a craft based on the unique rewards available to the crafter (if i can just pay a guildie to make something for me, its not worth investing in the craft)

. So if those are available before endgame, it would definitely change my plans.

Yes, I didn't thouroughly check the other pages (am at work) to see if it's been asked before, and that makes me a monster and a ******.

Which tree would you recommend leveling first, aresenal or bodyguard?

in his first post he says that 17 points into arsenal first is the way to go.

it will get you near 28, and then at 28 you get your next companion (non healer)

which works out nicely as you begin to build up your healing power.

that sounds like a fantastic plan and thats the way im going

Hey, so I just chose merc and want to be mainly a healer.

So would aim/endurance still be the stats on gear to spec for? My question is then what do Powertech spec for? I'm curious b/c I'm leveling with a buddy I went merc, he went PT (tank) and I want to know if we'll be rolling against each other for gear --> aim & endurance. Thanks.!

Sorry for the "little bit offtopic question" but someone mentioned here that the skills of the companions will be added.

Is this really true ? I have never read something like this.

"...1st companion gives +5 Cyber Tech and +15 Slicing.

2nd gives +5 Slicing and +15 Underworld Trading

3rd gives +5 Armor Tech & +15 Slicing

thats a total of

+35 in Slicing.

+15 in Underworld Trading

+5 Cyber Tech

+5 Armor Tech.

..."

Please comment. Thank you.

I have seen that this was wrong. Every skill exists only 1 time per class and over all companions. So a summing up is not possible.

Even if they could all be summed up, The numbers are wrong.

Companions & Skills: http://www.swtor-spy.com/companions/

I have a question about points to get skills. Can you get as many of the Bounty Hunter skills as you want without it counting towards your advanced class skills. It seems the regular BH skills just cost credits and not skill points. Is that correct? I was just worried I will buy too many of the BH skills and then not be able to get the all the advanced skills.

Could someone please clarify this for me, thank you.

The abilities you buy from the trainers are different from the points you invest in your AC talent trees. E.g. buying Rail Shot doesn't affect points you gain to spend on talents such as System Calibrations, which is in the Merc Pyro tree.

So, yeah, buy em all.

Hey guys and gals,

My question is pretty easy. I know you have leveled a Merc up to 50 in beta a few times so does Mako ever get any other outfits / skins other than the one you pick from when you finish the Hutta quest line? I accidently deleted her outfit when i tried to drag it and drop it into her profile. I ASSUMED it said "do you really want to equip this item" but it really said "do you really want to destroy this item" and I totally trashed it. Is there ever any other new skins for her again or can you buy more for her later? Or am I just SOL?

Thanks,

Warden, spec question,

You mention using unload in your spec, but not rocket punch. What is your rationale for taking jet boost instead of target tracking which increases unload crust by a whopping 30%

Also, curious where power shot fits into your rotation. It's cast seems awfully long and at low level I don't seem to get a lot of benefit out of mandolorian warheads. I could open with ps but I usually use dart in hopes of it exploding before the melee are out of range

Thanks again

Thanks to the mods for moving the thread. Much appreciated. Now let's see if I can get to a few questions real quick.

Would you be able to tell me if Merc is the only one out of the two that is ranged DPS? I keep seeing PT = Melee and Merc = Range

I've never played PT but they do have some ranged abilities. Merc would be considered the most ranged of the two ACs.

Why would Powertech be more of a natural PvP spec than Merc? Both are equally capable of performing well. PTs have more defenses, Mercs have heals. Both can do dps and hybrid specs. Its all a matter of flavor. Mercs are also seen more as a dps class which is always a popular role in RPGs. I don't how else to answer this.

Last one werdan : for a pvp toon do you suggest biochem over cybertech or the contrary? Is Granades better than unlimited heal? Mods over implants?

Still struggling with this one myself. So far I took Bio up to around 110 or so. It's ok and I just RE'd a stim to a permanent use version but it's too early to tell. I haven't had a chance to take a better look at Cybertech but I'll have plenty of time once I'm level 50 to switch things up if I don't like it.

Thanks a lot for the info Werdan! I've been trying to figure a hybrid spec that can dps and heal effectively.

Since I only got to lvl 15 in the weekend beta, I'm not sure how to spend the points. You mentioned you focus more on pvp, can you help me create a more pve/leveling focused build? I really have no clue what I should be picking up and what to drop. Thanks!

Also, in your opinion, once at end game, would it be safe to say it's better to go 31 points into a single tree for raiding? I'm guessing for raiding I would probably want to min/max a bit more... thoughts?

If you'd like a more PvE oriented hybrid version, just swap out Afterburners with Custom Enviro Suit in my spec. Honestly though, I do very well in PvE as is. Page one has a suggested leveling guide for the first 17 points in my spec and I'll update it soon with the remaining points.