Security Key Fob

Purloin

Ok so i have just received my CE Box (made up!) and gone through the whole registration, subscription and security key fob account linking process, all very streamlined and easy to use by the way, so well done BW.

The problem i have now is that not only is my game linked to my Key Fob but my Forum account is too. So in order to make a new thread or reply to a post when i sign in i need to enter the digits displayed on the keyfob.

This wouldnt be a problem if i only used my PC at home, but i often troll the forums on my Mobile and my computer in work (when on my lunch i promise!).

Now, unless i carry the keyfob around with me everywhere i go, i cant!?

Is there any way to only have your game linked to your Keyfob but your forum account not?

EDIT: There is a little tick box that states "Remember that I use a Security Key with this web browser. " <-- This is currently unticked.

Edited by Purloin

I think that little "Remember I use a key" thing on the forums is just so it'll show you the security key field along the username/password fields. Could be wrong, but that's what I took it as.

It does seem a bit silly to require that for the forums.

It does seem a bit silly to require that for the forums.

it's all part of one account. The forums do not exist in a vacuum...they use the same authentication back-end as the game itself. The security settings are for the whole account, so it's an all-or-nothing affair. Besides, since all pertinent account settings are accessible via the website...anyone who really cares about security should be happy that it works this way ;)

Didn't need to use my key fob to post this reply.

Try logging off the forums and logging back in without your fob ;)

If you were already logged on, your browser's login token is still valid. But once you log off, it is reset and you'll need your fob to get back in and post.

Given it's designed to go on a keyring, that's why the little split ring is there...

Would you want to carry the sole access to your SWTOR around with you all the time?

Would you want to have to put it in every time you wanted to log in and create a post?

I guess no, all im saying is that i think there should be an option to disable it from the forum account side of things. Ok Maybe just have it when you want to change any of your account details or even view them but just for general logging in and posting i think its a bit much.

it's all part of one account. The forums do not exist in a vacuum...they use the same authentication back-end as the game itself. The security settings are for the whole account, so it's an all-or-nothing affair. Besides, since all pertinent account settings are accessible via the website...anyone who really cares about security should be happy that it works this way ;)

I understand that - what's silly is that logging into the forums logs you into your entire account. Should be separate, in my opinion.

Kinda glad it is not. Yes, it is annoying, but the more I think about it... the more the little paranoid lizard brain at the back of my conscious mind likes it.

They ARE working on a 'Droid app. Can't have Star Wars without Droids, after all...

Edited by myrdinn

Would you want to carry the sole access to your SWTOR around with you all the time?

Would you want to have to put it in every time you wanted to log in and create a post?

Same thing as a mobile authenticator. Muggers are most likely to steal my phone than my key ring/lanyard.

Edited by Teldara

All im saying is that yesterday, i went on the forums before i went into work and posted a few replies.

When on my lunch in work i logged into the forums and noticed a few people had responded to those so i fired of a few more replies and then on the bus journey home replied again from my mobile.

Now tomorrow i'll wake up and go on the forums before i go into work, try to post a reply to the same threat and have to log in using my Authenticator Key Fob.

Then when on lunch in work i'll log onto the forums and notice a few people have responded to those so i'll need to get out my Authenticator Key Fob in order to reply to them.

And then on the bus journey home i'll need to get out my Authenticator Key Fob and log back in using it again in order to reply to any posts again.

At not one point in any of the above have i gone into the game.

Have the keyfob security limited to the game and when going into your Forum Account settings only please.