Why is Legacy so expensive? (regarding alts)

carne

Shouldn't be that much money. Newsflash...everyone doesn't grind dailies for credits :p

There are many ways in the game to earn credits. You do not have to do dailies to earn credits, You do not have to have any or all of the legacy perks, either. They are purely optional. If you want the legacy perks, though, you do have to earn the credits, somehow.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree to those with the time to do so there are multiple avenues for credits to be made in game, many players simply cannot devote that much of their time to leveling enough alts, farming mats, selling crew skill items. They may enjoy TOR as much as you do, but have other obligations that must be met.

This is pretty obvious, but here we are taliking abount levelling alts, and this requires time. I'm simply telling that when you reach your first 50 you have probably enpough crafting materials to sell them in GTN and earn enough credits to buy the perks you need for your next alt... if you don't pvp you have also more thean 300k from the recruit gear token...

I think BW would be wise to add in options in the cartel shop to simply purchase Legacy perks. I would be shocked if this did not happen. And, hopefully, it doesn't insult the sensibilities of those with the time to make credits as you have above. It's good that you are able to do this, but not everyone else can. If we can purchase all the WZ buffs for, say, $5 per character, many current and future players would do so.

They said yesterday in the streaming that there'll be the possibility to use Cartel Coins to buy xp boosts.

I hope that you can buy the xp perks for that price. We'll know in 2 months...

I have nothing against ppleach one of us has a RL, has his interests outside the game (luckly), and would like to play the game as he chooses, the important thing IMHO is that BW have to mantain money sinks in the game and increase their number, because there is too much money in the game (as you can see in some high end items GTN prices) and changing economy system will cause only alot of complains, money sink are the only alternative solution atm.

I think BW would be wise to add in options in the cartel shop to simply purchase Legacy perks. I would be shocked if this did not happen. And, hopefully, it doesn't insult the sensibilities of those with the time to make credits as you have above. It's good that you are able to do this, but not everyone else can. If we can purchase all the WZ buffs for, say, $5 per character, many current and future players would do so.

I would expect this to happen, but then I don't want said subscribers who use their free coins for these purposes to complain if they no longer have enough coins to buy Makeb or any such new content without having to dip into their pockets.

The single biggest thing you can take advantage of the Legacy for is the speeder at level 10 IMO. And it does not cost you any more then purchasing the ability from the trainer at level 25. If you are playing alts, which I do, I find that to be the biggest bang for the credit in this game. The rest are nice to have but not really needed in order to progress nicely in this game. AND I am speaking from personal experience with more then a dozen alts in this game.

If you want to avoid tedium in this game playing alts, IMO, play multiple alts in rotation, not race to get one to level cap.

Actually it costs 5k more than training it at level 25.

I feel like people dont make use of there alts when they hit 50. You can make like what 200k off of doing dailys. So if you have 5 alts and do the dailys on all of them, you can easy have the amount of credits you need to get those perks in a couple days. Seem boring to do to do it over and over, but its easy..

You're talking about what 10-15 hours of mind numbing grinding.

For what? One perk?

It's bad enough the legacy perks were put inot game as a 'band-aid' for lack of content, but then to make them a huge credit sink on top of that is insulting.

You do not have to "sit at home playing all day" to have even a modest amount of credits. I also have a life--a 40+ hour a week job, wife, two kids, bowl three nights, or ore, a week, yard work, housework, etc., and so maybe get to play for a couple of hours a night or two a week, and I'm not hurting for credits. Not rich by any means, but not hurting, either.

As the legacy perks are purely optional, I see no problem with the costs. If you want the reward, do something to earn it. Earning the legacy requirement is only half the cost.

You can complain about the costs being too high because you are unwilling to make the effort to earn the credits, and hope that BW changes the system, or you can actually do something to better your lot in game. Some people choose to be victims, and some choose not to be. Which do you choose?

Victims?

You just don't get it.

No one is asking for hand-outs here.

I'm not even going to go further as a man who has busted my *** all my life to earn a living, I find your comment highly offensive.

It's not as though you have to grind the dailies for weeks on end to earn enough for your alt's perks. Do the full set twice. Boom. Done.

Heck, if you've got two 50's already you can do it in a single day and won't have to mess with the dailies again until the next alt.

Although I can't help but wonder what in the world you're spending your money on that people have multiple broke 50's. You should be generating most of your gear internally...

There are many ways in the game to earn credits. You do not have to do dailies to earn credits, You do not have to have any or all of the legacy perks, either. They are purely optional. If you want the legacy perks, though, you do have to earn the credits, somehow.

The problem is they set the prices based on how much you could theoretically earn, not how much the average player actually has. Look at the mod cost. Their own stats admitted that 90% of players have less than one million credits, so why does it cost 2.1M to do a complete swap out of end game gear, just to put it into a shell you like a little better?

Or to get an alt a complete across the board exp boost (each category) costs about 2x as much as 90% of players have as cash on hand.

Let's say you think dailies are dull, boring, and monotonous, all you do is pvp, well at 5.5k/match you're looking at about 400 before you can afford to put all your WH mods into a new suit of armor, that's just changing your appearance, something we were promised with our "massively customized armor sets."

I have a 10.5Mil right now, so I'm rolling in it, but I also have 500 daily comms on 3 chars and that's anything but common. The most I've had is 20M from playing GTN tycoon during the early days when credits grew on trees. Now that the community is slowly winding down, it's harder to make butloads of money like back in the first three months.

All I'm saying is that their prices are out of whack, they are specifically positioned such that you have to drastically change your play style to make money, you can't make it from simply playing the game, you have to grind the same content day in and day out, which most people get sick of pretty quick.

Maybe they should make other aspects of the game just as economically rewarding.

TLDR: BW's own metrics show that every single unlock and even modding a full set of armor is beyond the financial reach of 90% of players, so maybe they need to readjust the "credit sinks" like, into oblivion.

You do not have to "sit at home playing all day" to have even a modest amount of credits. I also have a life--a 40+ hour a week job, wife, two kids, bowl three nights, or ore, a week, yard work, housework, etc., and so maybe get to play for a couple of hours a night or two a week, and I'm not hurting for credits. Not rich by any means, but not hurting, either.

As the legacy perks are purely optional, I see no problem with the costs. If you want the reward, do something to earn it. Earning the legacy requirement is only half the cost.

You can complain about the costs being too high because you are unwilling to make the effort to earn the credits, and hope that BW changes the system, or you can actually do something to better your lot in game. Some people choose to be victims, and some choose not to be. Which do you choose?

Victims?

You just don't get it.

No one is asking for hand-outs here.

I'm not even going to go further as a man who has busted my *** all my life to earn a living, I find your comment highly offensive.

You complain that the cost is too high because you don't want to "farm". You don't want to do anything to earn credits as they do not coincide with your desired play style, so you want to BW to implement a way for you to obtain the legacy perks that will coincide with your desired play style. If this is not asking for a handout, what would you call it?

Maybe you have busted your @#* all your life, but many others, including myself, have done so also. A lot of the people that do bust their @#* realize that you often have to do things you may not like in order to obtain those things that you do like or want. This game is no different. You can claim it's only a game, so you should just be able to log in and have fun, but that's just an excuse or a way to justify laziness.

The problem is they set the prices based on how much you could theoretically earn, not how much the average player actually has. Look at the mod cost. Their own stats admitted that 90% of players have less than one million credits, so why does it cost 2.1M to do a complete swap out of end game gear, just to put it into a shell you like a little better?

Or to get an alt a complete across the board exp boost (each category) costs about 2x as much as 90% of players have as cash on hand.

Let's say you think dailies are dull, boring, and monotonous, all you do is pvp, well at 5.5k/match you're looking at about 400 before you can afford to put all your WH mods into a new suit of armor, that's just changing your appearance, something we were promised with our "massively customized armor sets."

I have a 10.5Mil right now, so I'm rolling in it, but I also have 500 daily comms on 3 chars and that's anything but common. The most I've had is 20M from playing GTN tycoon during the early days when credits grew on trees. Now that the community is slowly winding down, it's harder to make butloads of money like back in the first three months.

All I'm saying is that their prices are out of whack, they are specifically positioned such that you have to drastically change your play style to make money, you can't make it from simply playing the game, you have to grind the same content day in and day out, which most people get sick of pretty quick.

Maybe they should make other aspects of the game just as economically rewarding.

TLDR: BW's own metrics show that every single unlock and even modding a full set of armor is beyond the financial reach of 90% of players, so maybe they need to readjust the "credit sinks" like, into oblivion.

People seem to overlook the fact that we CAN customize our appearance and we CAN earn the legacy perks. BW never said that it would be cheap or that people would be able to either one all at once. It may require some time and patience and some effort, but the fact that you may not be able to afford it all at one time does not mean that BW has failed to deliver on either one of those two promises.

I would pay 1 mil credits IF the repair droid repaired my gear for free. But they call that a "credit sink" which is bogus because any players that have so much money they need some of it taken away from them will always have lots of money from hardcore playing anyway. So what it really does is punish the casual gamer, who doesn't always have 1mil credits in the bank.

I would pay 1 mil credits IF the repair droid repaired my gear for free. But they call that a "credit sink" which is bogus because any players that have so much money they need some of it taken away from them will always have lots of money from hardcore playing anyway. So what it really does is punish the casual gamer, who doesn't always have 1mil credits in the bank.

You are paying 1 million credits for the convenience of having access to the repair droid without having to go back to town and find a vendor, not to avoid repair costs. I am a very casual gamer and I am not hurting for credits, but then I realize that I cannot just log in and do the "fun" stuff and have every legacy perk and convenience on the game. I have to have the credits for those conveniences which I desire.

Why would you buy a repair droid for PvE? You can't throw a rock without hitting a vendor on planets. The repair droid is for Ops. If you're not doing endgame, save your monies.

First lets get on the right track about pricing for the drioid... level 1 is 50K.

Because it is dirt cheap to get a repair droid and a mail droid at the first tier (1 hour cooldown). 50K each. Comes in handy in the field, because in some cases you cannot throw a rock and hit a vendor. Some planets have some pretty desolate areas, and the droids save a trip back into town.

the level 2 (100K) and 3 (200K) improvements are really only worth it if you run OPs a lot as it gets your cooldown down to 15 minutes.

Edited by Andryah

Their own stats admitted that 90% of players have less than one million credits,

That is very old data, from April of this year. I'm sure it is much higher now.

The problem is they set the prices based on how much you could theoretically earn, not how much the average player actually has.

They set prices based on a centerpoint in the telemetry on character wealth in the game. They also adjust costs downward on many things based on what their telemetry shows them about player purchase habits. And some things are priced very high to make them rare... which is normal for MMOs, not just this game.

Edited by Andryah

You complain that the cost is too high because you don't want to "farm". You don't want to do anything to earn credits as they do not coincide with your desired play style, so you want to BW to implement a way for you to obtain the legacy perks that will coincide with your desired play style. If this is not asking for a handout, what would you call it?

Maybe you have busted your @#* all your life, but many others, including myself, have done so also. A lot of the people that do bust their @#* realize that you often have to do things you may not like in order to obtain those things that you do like or want. This game is no different. You can claim it's only a game, so you should just be able to log in and have fun, but that's just an excuse or a way to justify laziness.

Laziness?

Are you on some sort of medication?

You seem to be equating a VIDEO GAME with real life.

You need help man, seriously.

The credit prices are UNREASONABLE.

That is the issue.

You have the time to grind out those credits in a VIDEO GAME.

You sir, are the lazy one.

People seem to overlook the fact that we CAN customize our appearance and we CAN earn the legacy perks. BW never said that it would be cheap or that people would be able to either one all at once. It may require some time and patience and some effort, but the fact that you may not be able to afford it all at one time does not mean that BW has failed to deliver on either one of those two promises.

90% of the player base CANNOT DO THIS. You are wrong. 90% of the playerbase doesn't even have HALF the credits required to put their heard earned mods into a new set of gear ONCE.

Which is more reasonable, for Bioware to require you to run dailies for two hours a day two weeks straight to save up enough credits to put the mods it took you 3 months to grind out into a new cooler set of gear...

Or for the cost of extraction to be significantly lowered.

here's a hint, they have already come out in interviews and stated that a lot of their credit sinks are way too high, that the cost for a lot of their items are kind of silly, it's why a the prices for a lot of services are being reduced in 1.4, from weapons to extractions etc etc. This game has more money sinks than any other MMO I've ever played.

When you buy legacy respec, you shouldn't have to pay the fee when you use it, that's moronic.

To buy all the EXP upgrades would take 16 days of dailies, most people could level 1-50 before they'd have the money to even buy them.

It's not just a matter of "being to much" it's a matter of being nonsensical.

There's a reason a Ferrari is so expensive, it's unique, rare, has incredibly high performance. A super sweet new speeder should cost 2 mil, that's fine, but it shouldn't cost me 2 mil to just change my freaking clothes, that's absurd.

I wonder, why cost of legacy perks can't be connected to legacy level- the higher you get, the less you pay, like 10% discount for every 10 legacy level.

But, lets count the cost of twinking the alt with perks (I use that setup at start for each my new alt)

faster junk selling -60k

Speeder at lev 10 -48k (with speeder)

More affection from gifts and conversations - 80k (up to level 2 of those two perks)

That's about 188k - doing belsavis daily is about 110k or more, depending on loot drops, then add to it space missions and you get 150k. You can do them in about 2 hours. You don't have to repeat them daily, you can just do them twice, and you get enough money even to power level your arts crafting.

I got some good laughs out of this thread, I have 5 lvl 50's and a few lower level alts. Recently spent 6 mil in getting a few Item modifications to complete my end game gear on my Bounty Hunter. It didn't even affect my income one bit, since it's so easy to make credits in this game. First you don't have to do all the dailies, just a select few to have quick income. Do the non-heroic dailies on Illum and Black Hole, those take me less than 40 minutes to complete. I don't do dailies that much, but I seem to alway have a positive income flow, I've purchased every global legacy perk there is except one(WZ trainning Dummy) and some character perks as well.

Many of the character legacy perks aren't needed while leveling a new alt, better spent on moddable gear and use the planet coms from your higher level characters to aquire upgrades for them. My next toon I create is going green, yup just for a challenge I'll be using only green gear that come from world drops.......

If your having income problems, your doing something wrong. I've taken many of our guild members and showed them how to make fast credits, without it feeling like they were simply grinding.

Laziness?

Are you on some sort of medication?

You seem to be equating a VIDEO GAME with real life.

You need help man, seriously.

The credit prices are UNREASONABLE.

That is the issue.

You have the time to grind out those credits in a VIDEO GAME.

You sir, are the lazy one.

I knew the "it's a video game" excuse would come out. The prices are not unreasonable. The fact that you want to only do the "fun" stuff but have access to every feature and perk in the game is unreasonable.

Perhaps you missed my first post:

It's not that I HAVE time to "grind" credits, it's that I MAKE the time during some of those rare occasions when I get to play. I do not spend all my time farming or grinding credits, but I also recognize that if I don't spend any time doing those things, I will have no credits to spend. Some nights I'll do the "fun" stuff, and some nights I'll farm, and some nights, I'll do a mix of both.

90% of the player base CANNOT DO THIS. You are wrong. 90% of the playerbase doesn't even have HALF the credits required to put their heard earned mods into a new set of gear ONCE.

Which is more reasonable, for Bioware to require you to run dailies for two hours a day two weeks straight to save up enough credits to put the mods it took you 3 months to grind out into a new cooler set of gear...

here's a hint, they have already come out in interviews and stated that a lot of their credit sinks are way too high, that the cost for a lot of their items are kind of silly, it's why a the prices for a lot of services are being reduced in 1.4, from weapons to extractions etc etc. This game has more money sinks than any other MMO I've ever played.

When you buy legacy respec, you shouldn't have to pay the fee when you use it, that's moronic.

To buy all the EXP upgrades would take 16 days of dailies, most people could level 1-50 before they'd have the money to even buy them.

There's a reason a Ferrari is so expensive, it's unique, rare, has incredibly high performance. A super sweet new speeder should cost 2 mil, that's fine, but it shouldn't cost me 2 mil to just change my freaking clothes, that's absurd.

Everyone in the game has the same opportunities to earn credits. So, everyone in the game has the same opportunities to pay for mod swapping, legacy perks, etc. Sure, not every player can do it all at one time. You may have to swap one mod at a time, or the mods in one piece at a time, but you CAN swap mods and change your appearance.

People do NOT need every legacy perk in the game. If you want every legacy perk, you have to earn the credits to buy them, and that may take time, and a little effort, something the instant gratification crowd is reluctant to put forth.

With regards to legacy respec, you are not buying free respecs, you are paying for the convenience of not having to back into town to respec.

there's not a single thing you are required to have from legacy. They are bonuses for those who put the time and effort into the game.

Yes I do expect to be able to only do the 'fun' things in a video game, because that is the sole reason for it's existance.

Sorry to disappoint you but you're probably playing the wrong game. Swtor has alot of crafting improvements compared to other games, you can also craft just before logging out and let your crew do the job...

But in an MMO every action has to product a return, and crafting/GTN are an important (or essential) part of this game. People that spend time crafting and using GTN wants to have something for their effort, if everything is almost free there isn't any award for them.

YOu say that you don't like crafting/GTN/doing dailies/earn credits, ok, it's your right to do the other things, but many legacy perks /the ones costing credits) are awards for players that spend time earning credits.

I can't pretend to have pvp max gear without putting efforts in doing many many wzs, you simply can't pretend to have expensive items/perks without putting effort in earning credits...

BTW you'll have an alternative in few months, you'll can buy perks via Cartel coins.